Two sport athletes

But isn't also true of school coaches? Example A soccer player also runs cross country. The player misses a CC practice for a soccer game and the CC coach is upset because they missed training but if they really looked at it a starter in soccer that plays a lot of minutes runs about 3-4 miles per match so they did get their running in but yet the coach is upset or how about a HS basketball coach that is upset that a player misses a scrimmage due to a club match and tells the player they may not make a team because they are not dedicated. How is it really any different? I as a coach am as flexible as I can be but if a player misses a training session every week or really often due to another sport or activity and that player begins to fall behind what do you guys suggest be done? Shouldn't I tell the player they are falling behind and risk losing their starting position or is that considered threatening them? I would also like to hear the threats you guys are saying that are being said to these kids. Its a fine line and I believe a coach needs to be honest about where a player stands. I look forward to hearing all the input.

Coach is very forward about it, if you miss the once a week practice in the off season you will be asked to move down to the lower level team (which is a big step backwards), other coach pretty much saying you're off the team. IMHO if you want to do an off season practice do it on Friday night, Sat, Sun when there's no basketball practice or games.

Coach is very forward about it, if you miss the once a week practice in the off season you will be asked to move down to the lower level team (which is a big step backwards), other coach pretty much saying you're off the team. IMHO if you want to do an off season practice do it on Friday night, Sat, Sun when there's no basketball practice or games.

Well there are other clubs to choose from thats one problem this area doesn't have.

If a kid who does a second sport, shows and is able to perform at a high level, it makes the players around her better and ostensibly the team as well, helping in terms of promotion/relegation and exposure for the team, club and other players.

In a highly competitive market like Cincinnati, I would think coaches who demote elite players because they don't attend enough practices, would likely get filtered out, unless the club isn't highly competitive, or the athlete is borderline.

If a kid who does a second sport, shows and is able to perform at a high level, it makes the players around her better and ostensibly the team as well, helping in terms of promotion/relegation and exposure for the team, club and other players.

In a highly competitive market like Cincinnati, I would think coaches who demote elite players because they don't attend enough practices, would likely get filtered out, unless the club isn't highly competitive, or the athlete is borderline.

True. I have never heard of a kid actually being demoted prior to tryouts. So to me this is all handled then.