Two 10-0 Teams To Miss OHSAA HS Football Playoffs

Not upset about this. I remember when the playoffs only took two teams and then four teams. There so many great teams that played really tough schedules and did not get in because only two or four teams made it. One year Fitch had wins over Mooney, Harding, Western Reserve, Akron Garfield, Youngstown South, and Niles. All teams that had over six wins, some had eight. But we lost to Ursuline and because of the region we were in, we didn't get in. That was in '83, and we had the talent to win it all. There was nothing that could be done. Today there are eight teams from each region that make the playoffs. If you can't get it with ten wins, you really played a schedule that is too easy. I know one of the regions is loaded, but those teams in front of them play killer schedules. If you want to guarantee a playoff appearance. play a tougher schedule. If you can't, take pride in the fact that you were able to go 10 and 0. That in itself is a great accomplishment.

Six of Gibsonburg's games were conference games, so they have to play those.
Conference foe Danbury went 0-9.
One non-conference game was hastily scheduled with Antwerp (which went 0-10) after conference opponent Sandusky St. Mary cancelled its 11-man season. Would Gibsonburg have been better off to only play nine games? Somebody could do the math, I'm sure.
I doubt Gibsonburg's officials thought non-conference foe Woodmore would go 0-10.
The other two non-conference foes — Ottawa Hills and Mohawk — both went 6-4, but only Mohawk got a win in Week 10 and earned a playoff berth while Ottawa Hills was blown out by 9-1 Fairview.
Interesting note: Ottawa Hills also lost 43-7 in Week 9 to Northwood.

This really does stink. I agree with others about scheduling better but that is not always the problem. Sometimes just bad luck happens when it comes to opponents not living up to expectations. You may beat an opponent that regularly goes 5-5 and they finish 0-10. That is alot of lost points. Also, when a league is down and not bringing in the points, everyone is at risk in that league.

Didnt check after week 10, but after week 9 Gibsonburgh point total was good enough to qualify if like 6 of the 8 regions in D5 and 6 so they truly are just a victim of being in a loaded region

One of the best teams in Division 2 Winton Woods beat the Number 1 team in the region but since they played a very difficult schedule and went 6-3 they did not make the playoffs. But two teams made it in that region who played mostly Division 3 and 4 teams. It’s a broken system.

Six of Gibsonburg's games were conference games, so they have to play those.
Conference foe Danbury went 0-9.
One non-conference game was hastily scheduled with Antwerp (which went 0-10) after conference opponent Sandusky St. Mary cancelled its 11-man season. Would Gibsonburg have been better off to only play nine games? Somebody could do the math, I'm sure.
I doubt Gibsonburg's officials thought non-conference foe Woodmore would go 0-10.
The other two non-conference foes — Ottawa Hills and Mohawk — both went 6-4, but only Mohawk got a win in Week 10 and earned a playoff berth while Ottawa Hills was blown out by 9-1 Fairview.
Interesting note: Ottawa Hills also lost 43-7 in Week 9 to Northwood.

If Gibsonburg would have taken a bye instead of playing Antwerp their point total would go up to 17.741. It still would have been 1 point short of the playoffs.

Sometimes life isn’t fair. The kids are going to have to learn that lesson sooner or later. Eight teams per region is plenty. It was one, and then two per region when I played. I survived.

Did your doctor give you any prescriptions for this? It sounds like it was traumatizing for you.

It's fairly obvious what both Gibsonburg and Northwood should have done here. Gibsonburg should have lobbied OHSAA to get placed in R22. Northwood should have lobbied OHSAA to get placed in R20. If you want to make the playoffs, figure out a way to get OHSAA to put your school into a lousy region. Maybe bribery would be an effective way to do this?

Allow me to ask a question that I have been pondering for four decades.

What is so special about an undefeated season?

We usually get caught up in the "absoluteness" of the zero in the loss column... 3-0, 10-0, 15-0. But that number by itself, representing the void, is totally meaningless. It is not a measure of accomplishment when standing alone. A high school team playing 3rd graders will go successfully undefeated but accomplish nothing.

What we have currently in this state is a system that as closely as possible measures accomplishment rather than just mere success. And isn't that what we want? This wrangling over an undefeated team not making the playoffs is misplaced. If we are to make any changes, those changes should reflect accomplishment in meaningful competition and not just be a victory counter.

Yes, there will always be the chance that a team is victimized by its schedule and the failure of its opponents to garner enough wins to push them over the line into the playoffs. But no system is perfect and no system is totally just. We have to go with the best we can create that reflects those principles that we try to adhere to. That's what we have and that's why we should leave it alone.

Allow me to ask a question that I have been pondering for four decades.

What is so special about an undefeated season?

Not a darn thing if you play a bunch of tomato cans.

How many times have we seen teams play brutal schedules and get in with a 6-4 or 7-3 record only to win a state title? To me, that is exciting.

There is a bit more to this story.

Ken James is the long time coach at Northwood (I believe this is his last year). Northwood and Gibsonburg were both members of an old NWOhio league call the Suburban Lakes League (SLL). Northwood was the smallest team in the league and outside of one good season (1991?) they were the doormat of the league from its inception (80's and early 90's). In the late 90's they opted out to a newly formed league called the Toledo Area Athletic Conference (TAAC) which is BY FAR the weakest conference in NWOhio (and probably the state). For football it is a misfit league where rosters routinely do not get over 25 kids. Small teams come and go. Every other year it would seem a TAAC team drops football before the season due to lack of participation or mid way through the season due to injuries. That happened this season when Toledo Christian opted for 8-man football. All of a sudden Northwood became the big guy on the block and routinely would walk through the cupcake league and either barely get into the playoffs or miss out all together. Woodmore has been atrocious the past decade routinely going 0-10 or 1-9. Stryker has roughly 20 kids out and just started football again a year ago.

Here is Northwood's playoff history...

2001 - 7-3 (D6) 8th in region - Lost 68-6 to McComb.
2002 - 10-0 (D6) 4th in region - Lost at home 22-7 to Mohawk.
2003 - 8-2 (D6) 5th in region - DEFEATED Edgerton 20-13 week 1 and lost week 2, 27-0 to Columbus Grove.
2004 - 5-5 (D6) 8th in region - Lost 21-0 to Hopewell Louden.
2005 - 5-5 (D5) DNQ
2006 - 6-4 (D5) DNQ
2007 - 8-2 (D5) DNQ
2008 - 9-1 (D5) DNQ
2009 - 7-3 (D5) 8th in region - Lost 41-14 to Patrick Henry.
2010 - 7-3 (D5) 8th in region - Lost 49-0 to Archbold.
2011 - 9-1 (D5) 4th in region - Lost at home 49-28 to Patrick Henry.
2012 - 10-0 (D5) 2nd in region - Lost at home 20-19 to Patrick Henry.
2013 - 8-2 (D6) 8th in region - Lost 34-6 to Tinora.
2014 - 6-4 (D6) DNQ
2015 - 6-4 (D6) DNQ
2016 - 6-4 (D6) DNQ
2017 - 6-4 (D6) DNQ
2018 - 9-1 (D6) 6th in region - Lost 36-6 to Hillsdale.
2019 - 10-0 (D6) DNQ

Northwood's career playoff record is 1-10. Their PF and PA in the playoffs is 380 to 106. The Rangers have qualified for the playoffs 4x with 10-0 and 9-1 records and lost first round each time. They missed the playoffs before with a 9-1 record. Do not feel sorry for Northwood.

Last edited:
Not a darn thing if you play a bunch of tomato cans.

How many times have we seen teams play brutal schedules and get in with a 6-4 or 7-3 record only to win a state title? To me, that is exciting.

There is a bit more to this story.

Ken James is the long time coach at Northwood (I believe this is his last year). Northwood and Gibsonburg were both members of an old NWOhio league call the Suburban Lakes League (SLL). Northwood was the smallest team in the league and outside of one good season (1991?) they were the doormat of the league from its inception (80's and early 90's). In the late 90's they opted out to a newly formed league called the Toledo Area Athletic Conference (TAAC) which is BY FAR the weakest conference in NWOhio (and probably the state). For football it is a misfit league where rosters routinely do not get over 25 kids. Small teams come and go. Every other year it would seem a TAAC team drops football before the season due to lack of participation or mid way through the season due to injuries. That happened this season when Toledo Christian opted for 8-man football. All of a sudden Northwood became the big guy on the block and routinely would walk through the cupcake league and either barely get into the playoffs or miss out all together. Woodmore has been atrocious the past decade routinely going 0-10 or 1-9. Stryker has roughly 20 kids out and just started football again a year ago.

Here is Northwood's playoff history...

2001 - 7-3 (D6) 8th in region - Lost 68-6 to McComb.
2002 - 10-0 (D6) 4th in region - Lost at home 22-7 to Mohawk.
2003 - 8-2 (D6) 8th in region - Lost 27-0 to Columbus Grove.
2004 - 5-5 (D6) 8th in region - Lost 21-0 to Hopewell Louden.
2005 - 5-5 (D5) DNQ
2006 - 6-4 (D5) DNQ
2007 - 8-2 (D5) DNQ
2008 - 9-1 (D5) DNQ
2009 - 7-3 (D5) 8th in region - Lost 41-14 to Patrick Henry.
2010 - 7-3 (D5) 8th in region - Lost 49-0 to Archbold.
2011 - 9-1 (D5) 4th in region - Lost at home 49-28 to Patrick Henry.
2012 - 10-0 (D5) 2nd in region - Lost at home 20-19 to Patrick Henry.
2013 - 8-2 (D6) 8th in region - Lost 34-6 to Tinora.
2014 - 6-4 (D6) DNQ
2015 - 6-4 (D6) DNQ
2016 - 6-4 (D6) DNQ
2017 - 6-4 (D6) DNQ
2018 - 9-1 (D6) 6th in region - Lost 36-6 to Hillsdale.
2019 - 10-0 (D6) DNQ

Northwood's career playoff record is 0-10. Their PF and PA in the playoffs is 367 to 86. The Rangers have qualified for the playoffs 4x with 10-0 and 9-1 records and lost first round each time. They missed the playoffs before with a 9-1 record. Do not feel sorry for Northwood.

I think Northwood is 1-10. Didn't they beat Edgerton in the 1st round in 2003 before losing to Columbus Grove?

Here is Gibsonburg's story. The Bears were members of the aforementioned SLL which later became the NBC. Gibsonburg finally bolted to the uber weak TAAC in 2011 after going 1-9 and 0-10 in the NBC. Once in the TAAC they actually began to steal some of Northwood's thunder. Two years ago Gibsonburg left the TAAC for the SBC which was a good move but still a weak league (lowest division wise - the SBC is very solid otherwise).

2010 - 0-10 (D5) NBC - DNQ
2011 - 5-5 (D5) TAAC - DNQ
2012 - 4-6 (D5) DNQ
2013 - 5-5 (D6) DNQ
2014 - 9-1 (D6) DNQ
2015 - 10-0 (D6) 4th in region - Lost at home 45-16 to Van Buren.
2016 - 8-2 (D6) 7th in region - Lost 22-6 to Wynford.
2017 - 9-1 (D6) 5th in region - Lost 35-8 to Hicksville.
2018 - 9-1 (D6) 2nd in region - Lost at home 35-7 to Fairview.
2019 - 10-0 (D6) DNQ

0-4 (recent years) and PF PA is 37-137. Gibsonburg decided to add Woodmore to the OOC schedule last year and this year and that is what killed the Bears. Woodmore (Coach Lee HC in 90's - now coached by his longtime assistant Lou Bosch) has gone 0-10 the last several seasons. Woodmore came close to dropping football several years ago due to participation.

Last edited:
Well I have been following the playoffs since they started and I only know of one team being 0-10. I know of another team that lost 10 in a row but only one that was 0-10.

one team made the Ohio HS playoffs and did not beat an Ohio school this year.

Steubenville did that before back in 2010 and then lost to Dover in the first round so they didn't beat an Ohio team the entire season.