Troy/Madison Previews

dabbelt report

My event at Troy went over very well, great job by the Troy staff! Unfortunately, I can't be in two places at once, so anyone who was at my event at Madison, please fill us in on how things went.

Troy

Sidney 18 National Trail 15
Franklin Monroe 20 Emmanuel Christian 20
Minster 27 Piqua 21
Tecumseh 30 Landmark Christian 7
Wayne 32 Tri Village 26
Tippecanoe 28 Northmont 27
Miami East 22 Trotwood Madison 11
Anna 33 Greenon 16
Troy 25 Milton Union 8
Did not see the end of Covington v Shawnee, Cov won

Reported to me from various people from Madison

Brookville 21 Carlisle 18
Franklin 21 Yellow Springs 6
Eaton 29 Little Miami 12
Miami Valley 21 Waynesville 13
Edgewood 20 Oakwood 18
Mason 31 Ursuline 19
Lakota East 24 Springboro 14
Madison 37 Hamilton 29

Jim, what conference is Landmark Christian in?

Tecumseh Arrows- Bianca Quisenberry, 5-8 Junior

v.s.

Landmark Christian Eagles- Celina King, 5-4 8th grade

* This is matchup of the present (Quisenberry, over 1,000 points through 2 years) v.s. the future (King, top 8th grader in Ohio, top 15 in country according to ASGR)

I have never heard of people rating 8th graders, I hope Tom Jenkins isn't in OH, Hoopgurlz doesn't even put them in order until their 10th grade year, that's a little over the top and just shows how crazy this business is getting. Where in the world do the top 15-20 8th graders go play at the same time, a Justin Beaver half time show? I'm in the wrong money making business. I thought that was a typo when I first read it Jim. ASGR needs there licenses revoked, creating 13 year old ego, my goodness!!!

It's very clear that your mind will not change on this opinion, so I am not going to banter back and forth. And normally, I would tend to agree that a typical middle school player should not be included with rankings...however, for someone to list the top tier 8th graders today isn't difficult based on the perspective of todays game in general. With AAU Nationals, and all of the July exposure events that are held around the country, it is much easier to evaluate the talents of all players since most of the high-end players participate in these events. They are comparing the players with others their own age and not for example, high school seniors.

Get on Topic

Yadda, yadda, yadda...can we get back on point and discuss the previews. I am most interested in the Madison preview especially Mason and East. Anyone there that can give some thoughts? Thanks.

Mason, Lakota East

Yadda, yadda, yadda...can we get back on point and discuss the previews. I am most interested in the Madison preview especially Mason and East. Anyone there that can give some thoughts? Thanks.

Mason jumped out to a 15 pt lead or more quickly. Ursuline made a few threes and closed to 7 at one point but Mason put the press on and quickly had it to a 10-12 pt game. McDowell scored many of Mason's points but 4-5 others also contributed.

East played very well and dominated Springboro. They ran the floor well, scored in transition, defended very effectively, and played deep into their bench. They have a lot of tools to use to beat teams. Springboro could not get their post play going at all onthe offensive end and I attribute muhc of that to East's ball pressure defense.

what conference is Landmark Christian in?

Tecumseh Arrows- Bianca Quisenberry, 5-8 Junior

v.s.

Landmark Christian Eagles- Celina King, 5-4 8th grade
Landmark Christian is not an OHSAA member. Ths OHSAA prohibits 8th graders from practicing and playing with 9-12 graders.

Yeah, your good but you lost me on this one if your telling me an 8th graders is one of the Top 15 in the nation. For girls you can't even figure out who they are to know where they are going until at least the 10th grade, you might be doing more harm than good with this one. I never heard anything about Mitchell or Howard being rated as a Top 15 8th grader, for one Howard didn't start to develop until the 10th grade. Like I said, the best in the business to me Hoopgurlz don't start rating until the 10th grade, and I think that's for a very good reason. Considering the score was 30 to 7 after two quarters I don't think you did her any favors Jim, and I hope you didn't affect her confidence looking for a story.

How did this Landmark a non-OHSAA school scoring 7 points get in a legit preview anyway? Nevermind.......

Twinsburg...I agree with you 200% so don't even entertain that Top 15 BS for an 8th grader (noting against the kid).

Preview at Madison

Of the teams at the Madison preview, Mason and Lakota East both looked very good and will have good seasons. Springboro has a nice team but they didn't play very well at this preview. Madison looked very good and has been playing some tough teams in pre-season (Sycamore, Fairmont, Lakota West, Springboro, Minster) and appears to be one of the stronger D-III teams in the area. A lot of nice players at the Madison preview. Very positive event!

If she is tops in the state or tops in the nation, who are others that are comparable to her? You can't rate a kid unless you have others to compare them against.

Of the teams at the Madison preview, Mason and Lakota East both looked very good and will have good seasons. Springboro has a nice team but they didn't play very well at this preview. Madison looked very good and has been playing some tough teams in pre-season (Sycamore, Fairmont, Lakota West, Springboro, Minster) and appears to be one of the stronger D-III teams in the area. A lot of nice players at the Madison preview. Very positive event!

Thanks for your thoughts on the Preview. The few people I have spoken with so far all said it went over well.

I don't know why anyone would put much stock in what some of these "experts" say. Obviously, with most of them not seeing all these kids, and relying on officials, other coaches, and especially parents tell them how good players are, then it can't be taken too seriously.