Troy Davis Named New Louisville Leopards Head Football Coach

LeopardNation

Troy Davis to Be Named the New Louisville Leopards Football Head Coach at December 23 Special Board of Education Meeting:

I don't know why everyone complains about the 4-2-5 defense. It's a good defense. Two of the safties are basically outside linebackers against many formations.

I don't know why everyone complains about the 4-2-5 defense. It's a good defense. Two of the safties are basically outside linebackers against many formations.
Sure it is. But it doesn’t work in Louisville. Did you watch the last couple years of Demarco? All time worst Leopard defense in the history of Louisville

Anything can and will work if kids buy in and coaches teach fundamentals properly. Maybe it hasn't worked in Louisville. That doesn't mean it won't. It doesn't even mean that's the defense they will use. Who will be his coordinator ? Nobody has all the answers right now. We have to hold judgement until things play out.

The 4-2-5 defense is the predominate defense being used today in high school and college football. It gives you good run support with 4 down lineman and allows for flexibility in the secondary to properly cover today's spread offenses. It is not the defense that has been a problem.

The problem with the defense is that when you play a power running team...the safety's who are usually strong safety type people get forced to play defensive end practically and get mashed. Also, teams often waste a person in 4-2-5 when they run the strength to the boundary and the defense keeps extra person to wide side of the field which can lead to issues.

The problem with the defense is that when you play a power running team...the safety's who are usually strong safety type people get forced to play defensive end practically and get mashed. Also, teams often waste a person in 4-2-5 when they run the strength to the boundary and the defense keeps extra person to wide side of the field which can lead to issues.
They don't become DE's, they become OLB's from the old 4-4 defense. Without question these players have to be very versatile. Now the 3-4 and 3-5 Defenses, they force OLB's to play DE when a team plays 2 TE's and run power football, that's a handful. At least in the 4-2-5 you have 4 Lineman types. In today's odd fronts you only have 3. Ohio high school football means stop the run 1st. I would take 4 D. Lineman over 3 any day. I like the 4-2-5, it has it's challenges like any defense but I believe it is best suited for high school football.

It may be a little to early to talk about schemes. The more important questions are - Will the new coach bring that great Louisville culture? Will the kids buy in to what he is selling and continue the great Louisville tradition? We he develop the boys into fine young men? Will they play with discipline? It's way to early to talk about defenses and offenses, it's more about leadership presence at this point in the off season.

Troy has a lot of enthusiasm and is a rah rah guy and will talk up the tradition. He is very much like JD, you can't question his integrity but he better surround himself with quality assistants and let them do the coaching.

I would not worry so much about schemes and types of defense that a team will roll out as much as I would worry about the development of the athletes on the roster. It really is inconsequential as to what front a team will run to combat an offense when the players are failing to execute the basic requirements of their positions or if they fail to play team oriented defense. Louisville showed last year that they possessed the ability to defend anyone at times, but were unable to sustain that effort and focus for the whole game. That is reflective of the preparation in practice, film study more so than the philosophical belief of the defense that they are aligned.

Good luck Coach Davis ... to me the first job is to try and pull the Louisville community back together ... next get a staff of quality coaches who can ignore all the noise from the public and concentrate just on coaching football and just making their team the best they can be ... focus on the fundamentals of football, blocking, tackling, running and throwing ... the Leopards have a great tradition and need to remember how they got it ... hard work and Leopard pride.

Sure it is. But it doesn’t work in Louisville. Did you watch the last couple years of Demarco? All time worst Leopard defense in the history of Louisville
It does work. You wanna know why thag 2017 defense was the worst in history? That team lost Maverick, then Jason Goard, then it lost Gavin, and by the end of the season, one of the guards who had never played defense was starting at defensive end.

Furthermore, those linebackers were good kids but amoung the worst I've ever seen. They did not do the bare minimum required of them in regards to assignments and discipline. Having horrible play out if the linebacker position and walking out your 4th and 5th string DEs is not a way to win regardless of your scheme.

The reason that defense was so bad was that the players could not execute.

just an outside observation maybe playing Massillon and others instead of Minerva and others has more to do with their record than defensive schemes

It was bad for 4-5 years.

Were you guys happy with the Defense this year?
Don't recall seeing much negative comments on here about defense Twiddy ran this season.

However if we look at the numbers this year's 4-3 actually gave up more points than last year's 4-2.
In fact this year's 4-3 would rank 6 out of the last 7 years in points allowed.

And just so we can take the jump up in our schedule out of the measure, let's look at what we did with Hoover and Canfield only.
Again 6th out of the last 7 years.

Don't take this wrong, I am not a 4-2 guy (I would still be lining up in the 5-3 when it's called for) but I think it is more about the players we have and the execution of those players than it is about which base defense we run.

Last edited:
I think Yappi may not know how to respond to anything that makes the Demarco era ending look not so bad and the next generation looking like crap. Davis may not be the everyone top choice, but right now we should be glad to get back to where we were a year ago.

It does work. You wanna know why thag 2017 defense was the worst in history? That team lost Maverick, then Jason Goard, then it lost Gavin, and by the end of the season, one of the guards who had never played defense was starting at defensive end.

Furthermore, those linebackers were good kids but amoung the worst I've ever seen. They did not do the bare minimum required of them in regards to assignments and discipline. Having horrible play out if the linebacker position and walking out your 4th and 5th string DEs is not a way to win regardless of your scheme.

The reason that defense was so bad was that the players could not execute.

I agree with you it’s not about the X’s and O’s, it’s about the jimmy and joes with blonde hair and blue eyes.

The 4-2-5 is a great defense. Why most college and NFL teams deploy it. But this isn’t college or the NFL. This is high school football where you must stop the run and harass the QB in the pass game.

My issue with it being a longtime fan and of Louisville Football watching the 5-2/5-3 defenses of old when Louisville wore face paint and intimidated half it’s opponents before a snap was even played. It essentially gave up their aggressiveness and it almost looked like Louisville gave up their identity or swagger when they made this change. It’s not like Louisville had behemoth monsters out there either, most kids were under 200 pounds and could run and hit.

When they went to the 4-2-5 more points were given up, more rush yards, less QB hits and sacks. I just don’t enjoy watching a bend but don’t break defense. I enjoy watching an attacking defense, and with Louisville’s recipe of kids, I think this is the best way to play defense.

If there’s a bright spot about the defense going forward....we get (what I think) were the 2 most improved players last season back next year. Brahler and Kennedy improved their play the most from week 1 to week 10 last season and we’re gonna need them to be the leaders of next years defense. Replacing about 8/11 starters is going to be a tall task.
On the other side of the ball the strength is probably (and has to be) the o-line and running game. 3/5 o-lineman coming back along with Adelman, Kennedy and most likely a runner at QB.
Graduating a big senior class followed by a small junior class is going to put a lot of youth on the field next year.

just an outside observation maybe playing Massillon and others instead of Minerva and others has more to do with their record than defensive schemes
That has plenty to do with it. The last time I saw Louisville was 2017 and they were 5 - 5 and 5-2 in the NBC. Alliance and Salem beat them because they had better football players. "Leaving" the NBC at that time was probably the word time to do so. It's way to early to worry about schemes. They need coaching stability. Also, the Louisville fan base needs to have realistic expectations.

I saw on a Steubenville thread that Louisville is going to play the Big Red. Has anyone heard anything along those lines? With Barberton on the schedule this year and all the teams we play from the Fed, adding Steubenville and Alliance certainly hasn't weakened our schedule any . Just curious as to whether anyone had any info.

I agree with you it’s not about the X’s and O’s, it’s about the jimmy and joes with blonde hair and blue eyes.

The 4-2-5 is a great defense. Why most college and NFL teams deploy it. But this isn’t college or the NFL. This is high school football where you must stop the run and harass the QB in the pass game.

My issue with it being a longtime fan and of Louisville Football watching the 5-2/5-3 defenses of old when Louisville wore face paint and intimidated half it’s opponents before a snap was even played. It essentially gave up their aggressiveness and it almost looked like Louisville gave up their identity or swagger when they made this change. It’s not like Louisville had behemoth monsters out there either, most kids were under 200 pounds and could run and hit.

When they went to the 4-2-5 more points were given up, more rush yards, less QB hits and sacks. I just don’t enjoy watching a bend but don’t break defense. I enjoy watching an attacking defense, and with Louisville’s recipe of kids, I think this is the best way to play defense.
The 5-2/5-3 defense cannot be played much anymore. Offenses are significantly different from those times you speak of. You will not find many teams anymore that keep opponents under 10 points per game. On a side note, face paint is illegal now a days.

The 5-2/5-3 defense cannot be played much anymore. Offenses are significantly different from those times you speak of. You will not find many teams anymore that keep opponents under 10 points per game. On a side note, face paint is illegal now a days.

Ah but you can run the 3-4 and 3-5 defense which is essentially the same thing. Certain formations can get them into a 5-2/5-3. Its what you call your edge players.

I know face paint is illegal. I speaking metaphorically

Ah but you can run the 3-4 and 3-5 defense which is essentially the same thing. Certain formations can get them into a 5-2/5-3. Its what you call your edge players.

I know face paint is illegal. I speaking metaphorically
You can get into a 5 front with a 4-3/4-2 as well. Its still not the same as a 5-3 with 5 true DL.

You can get into a 5 front with a 4-3/4-2 as well. Its still not the same as a 5-3 with 5 true DL.

Lol, Louisville never really had 5 true Defensive Lineman to begin with, 3-4 is literally a descendant of the 5-2 and the 3-5 is a descendant of the 5-3. They are both Odd fronts. One is the Okie, they other is Odd Stack.

My point is way back we had undersized 6’ 190 kids playing a 4 technique that would slant and angle. We sent 5 man pressures and played man to man and we had the athletes to do it. We were built on speed That’s my point with our recipe of kids we are suited for an attacking defense and edge pressure. Some years we had DL 6’2 220 kids and I recall having 6’6 kids blitzing off the edge.

Playing a 4-3/4-2 defense and getting into an under front is not the same mentality. That’s a lazy excuse for a 5 man front.

5-3/5-2
3-4/3-5 call it whatever you wanna call it but Jesus Bring back the old style we love. SPEED and Aggression

"This is high school football where you must stop the run and harass the QB in the pass game."

Ah yes, as opposed to other levels of football where stopping the run and getting to the quarterback are not important...

This forum, man.