Trends You Find Excruciatingly Annoying

These are really annoying in California when they start fires. :eek:

Add anything Kardashian to the list.
At least 2 of the 3 sisters are attractive. Imagine being Kardashian levels of obnoxious while barely rating as a “5”, that’s Chrissie Tiegen.

cell phones. first it was a couple kids sitting in a room full of others, ignoring any socialization. Then it was rooms full of kids. Now it's the adults too. Every room is an elevator.
Was in D.C. two years ago for work and walked down the stairs to the subway platform and there stood about 1,000 people ALL with their heads buried in their phones waiting for the next train. Next train came, heads went up, people on and off, back to heads buried in phones.

I really believe social media has affected people's ability to properly interact socially. The skills are simply not being worked.

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but DESTINATION WEDDINGS. Tne Bride and Groom have decided to get married somewhere in the Bahamas or Cancun or someplace similar. And then they send you an invitation to join them in their happy days. NO! NO! Why should I use up my vacation days, especially to a place I don't want to go. Of course, the more people the happy couple can go to the site of the marriage, the resort hosting the evenet reimburses the couple. The first time I got one of these I called up the bride and thanked her for flying me and my wife to Puerto Vallarta and picking up our room bills; I asked her how she and her prospective groom could afford to be so generous. She said I misunderstood the invitation and I would have to pay for the airfare and rooms. I just hung up on her and forgot to send the happy couple any kind of gift.

Well played, sir!

Here's another one about weddings. When the invitation, says "in liue of presents, we prefer a monetary gift" or something like that. The first time I got one of those, I thought who are they to tell what type of gift to present them. I bought a nice curved vase, around $60, and shoved a $200 check in the bottom of the vase. Around two years later my wife and I were invited to their house for dinner. Instaed of displaying the gift as etiquette tells you, the vase was nowhere to be seen. Halfway through the dinner, I asked then why they had never cashed the wedding check. They looked at each other and the husband said, "What check?" I replied. The one I put in the bottom of the vase." The expression on their faces was priceless. The next week they tried to cash the check, but the time for cashing it had expired. Call me a jerk, but don't tell me what type of gift to give.

Was in D.C. two years ago for work and walked down the stairs to the subway platform and there stood about 1,000 people ALL with their heads buried in their phones waiting for the next train. Next train came, heads went up, people on and off, back to heads buried in phones.

I really believe social media has affected people's ability to properly interact socially. The skills are simply not being worked.
I agree. Also believe it’s a big factor in the vitriol we see on line and society in general. People say things they never would face to face. Just look at some of the posts here on Yappi.

Here's another one about weddings. When the invitation, says "in liue of presents, we prefer a monetary gift" or something like that. The first time I got one of those, I thought who are they to tell what type of gift to present them. I bought a nice curved vase, around $60, and shoved a $200 check in the bottom of the vase. Around two years later my wife and I were invited to their house for dinner. Instaed of displaying the gift as etiquette tells you, the vase was nowhere to be seen. Halfway through the dinner, I asked then why they had never cashed the wedding check. They looked at each other and the husband said, "What check?" I replied. The one I put in the bottom of the vase." The expression on their faces was priceless. The next week they tried to cash the check, but the time for cashing it had expired. Call me a jerk, but don't tell me what type of gift to give.

Reminds me of the old story of the master who gave his two female servants each a pair of serving gloves as a Christmas gift. The 1st servant was so offended she threw her gloves into the fire that was burning in the fireplace. The 2nd servant gratefully accepted the gift and immediately tried the gloves on but had difficulty putting them on because there was a $100 bill rolled up inside each of the fingers. Upon seeing this, the 1st servant rushed to rescue her gloves from the fire, but it was too late.

Last edited:
That was a King of Queen episode. Nice try though.

Where I'm given a variety of choices, I have no problem with registries. In fact, over my objection, my wife used one before our wedding. I have this strange thing that I find receiving gifts embarrassing and would have preferrred not to receive anything at all.

This is a weird one for me, because I can hardly be described as a fashion-conscious person. But since when do brown shoes go with blue suits? For centuries, it seems, those dictating such trends have always decried that as an ultimate fashion faux pas. Now, all of a sudden, it's OK? I still thinks it looks like hell even though I was forced to wear exactly that at my son's wedding recently.

Don't sweat it bedevil, your white shoes and belt will always be in fashion.

I read through a couple pages on here but not all, so forgive me if this is a repeat.

Beggars at the local Sam's club. Miller Lane in Dayton yesterday I drove past 4 well dressed bums who had their cardboard signs out asking for public sympathy in the form of money.

One was overly aggressive and nearly caused multiple accidents as drivers were tempted to thread the needle a little too close to get away from the overzealous beggar.

One exit in Indianapolis I often take ALWAYS has a bum at the bottom of the ramp. Sometimes it will be one selling flowers or often just your common run of the mill 30-40 dollar an hour beggar.

When I am forced to park beside them I stare strait ahead and never make eye contact until I'm ready to pull off. Then I give them a smile friendly wave. I figure if they are really down on their luck I will at least be cordial, and if they are scamming for funds, they will notice I noticed them and did not give in to their emotional game.

It has been around since the Icky Shuffle, but I hate athletes, particularly, football dancing after every TD, Good Catch. Chuckle... these self absorbed goofs were even dancing while facing empty seats.

Last edited:
It has been around since the Icky Shuffle, but I hate athletes, particularly, football dancing after every TD, Good Catch. Chuckle... these self absorbed goofs were eve. dancing while facing empty seats.
Icky Shuffle being the first I recall seeing as it happened too.

I've seen TD celebrations on film of games from the 40s or there abouts. It's not as new as I thought or as demonstrative. Head over heels flip into the end zone, one I recall,

Men who wear their hats while eating in a restaurant. Seems like mostly baseball caps, and those who wear the caps backwards should be executed at the spot.

I've seen TD celebrations on film of games from the 40s or there abouts. It's not as new as I thought or as demonstrative. Head over heels flip into the end zone, one I recall,
Interesting. Kinda like the moonwalk is not really knew, versions of it have been done at least as far back as the 1930's.

Have been unsuccessful finding a video clip, but Elmo Wright of the KC Chiefs seems to be the first person credited with an actual endzone dance. He certainly caught my eye around 1970-71. Something like holding the ball like a top hat and doing a fast high-step running in place, like Michigan J. Frog did singing "Hello, my baby, hello, my honey, etc." Didn't see him often, because you'd have to change the channel to NBC to watch AFL teams (horrors!). Pretty unique at the time.

I hated the Cowboys, but always liked it when NFL Films would show clips of Butch Johnson and the California Quake, slowed down to half-speed.

A foreigner watching our TV commercials would think 70% of the USA's population is black or mixed race...and 20% gay.

The commercials now often feature people of "unknown" mixed races...maybe black, maybe Asian, maybe Hispanic, maybe all-of-the-above...it's hard to tell.

Your 20% stat is not far off. A 2019 Gallup poll suggested that anywhere between 20% and 25% of the US population was gay or lesbian. Not trying to be funny but your stat is probably more true than you realize.

While not 70%, the non-white population of America is a tick below 40%. Since the 90s demographers have been saying that the white / non-hispanic population would drop under 50% by 2050.

I guess my point is a foreigner's conclusion of us by watching our commercials may not be that far off from what you posed.

I read through a couple pages on here but not all, so forgive me if this is a repeat.

Beggars at the local Sam's club. Miller Lane in Dayton yesterday I drove past 4 well dressed bums who had their cardboard signs out asking for public sympathy in the form of money.

One was overly aggressive and nearly caused multiple accidents as drivers were tempted to thread the needle a little too close to get away from the overzealous beggar.

One exit in Indianapolis I often take ALWAYS has a bum at the bottom of the ramp. Sometimes it will be one selling flowers or often just your common run of the mill 30-40 dollar an hour beggar.

When I am forced to park beside them I stare strait ahead and never make eye contact until I'm ready to pull off. Then I give them a smile friendly wave. I figure if they are really down on their luck I will at least be cordial, and if they are scamming for funds, they will notice I noticed them and did not give in to their emotional game.

Not so much a trend due to the fact that I've encountered it for so many years to this point but it amazes me how many people out there have the misfortune of running out of gas just a few miles from their destination and need just a couple bucks to get to where they're going. In all fairness it's a good story and I do enjoy listening to it from the people who so casually approach me at the gas pump. I like how the story varies from buddies house to grandma's house to my pregnant wife, etc.... I feel like there's a book of stories out there just waiting to be written about all of these gas station misfortunes.