Travel restrictions, etc., etc.!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
But, comparing competitive balance numbers between public and private schools makes no sense. It's just like comparing apples to oranges.

Currently, there's only one public school in this division that has a higher CB number than Massillon. And they have been at, or very near the top since Competitive Balance was instituted.
What did Cody Fair have for lunch today?

You accumulate points in the ranking system for defeating or tieing opponents. You get more points for defeating a D-I team and less for D-VII. You also get more points for defeating an opponent with a better record. For ties you only get half as many points, ties usually don't happen anymore.
I believe Massillon has more than 18 teams in their region off the top of my head.
The top 16 teams in points in each region qualify for the playoffs.
So, am I to believe that a team gets the same points for a win over a bad DI team, vs a good DI?

En light of that fact, I would assume that a calculating coach would tend to schedule as many DI slappies as possible. He could theoretically enter the playoffs with an unworthy team.

So, am I to believe that a team gets the same points for a win over a bad DI team, vs a good DI?

En light of that fact, I would assume that a calculating coach would tend to schedule as many DI slappies as possible. He could theoretically enter the playoffs with an unworthy team.
I think his explanation was pretty understandable. Yet, you ask this question.

The travel, open enrollment, regions and divisions and anything else is irrelevant when Massillon and Valdosta take the field on Friday Aug 18. A game that will be the most talked about game in the Country leading up to it. The most combined wins to ever play in a high school football game.
You'd be surprised how little interest this game would generate outside of the two affected states. I was stationed in Southern Cali in the late sixties. And I was talking to some local football afficionados about Valdosta. And their response was, NEVER HEARD OF THEM! And at that time, the CATS already had TWO NATTYS in that decade. In FACT, in most states, they laugh at you when you say that you attend high school football games.

You'd be surprised how little interest this game would generate outside of the two affected states. I was stationed in Southern Cali in the late sixties. And I was talking to some local football afficionados about Valdosta. And their response was, NEVER HEARD OF THEM! And at that time, the CATS already had TWO NATTYS in that decade. In FACT, in most states, they laugh at you when you say that you attend high school football games.
You clearly haven’t been to many states. I’ve been all over this country and many times to Europe and there hasn’t been one time that I wasn’t asked about a Massillon shirt I had on and when asked they bring up Paul Brown, the mck game etc.

I'm gonna dive just a bit deeper for you. Points are awarded on a L1 and L2 basis. L1 points are based solely on the division of the team you beat. So D1 is worth the same L1 points regardless. L2 points are awarded based on the teams that your opponent has beat. So a 9-1 D1 team that beat other D1 teams is worth more 2nd level points than a 9-1 D1 team that beat all D2 teams.

I laugh at anyone who uses the word natty.

3. Massillon does not have 3 high schools. It is just a naming convention based off of mailing address, but the other 2 schools with Massillon in the name are not a part of Massillon schools. Perry and Jackson are their own school districts and operate independently of Massillon Washington. They serve different areas than Massillon Washington, and do not serve anyone within Massillon's boundaries.
Tuslaw also has a Massillon mailing address.

Yes and no. You get the same FIRST level points for beating a bad D1 as a good D1, and if you're a team that can't beat anyone good you are in fact better off scheduling a bunch of bad teams and racking up the first level points, because it's better than getting nothing with a loss.

BUT, 2nd level points is where it's at. An 0-10 D1 team will get roughly the same number of total points as a 5-5 D7. You get 2nd level points from teams you beat based on who they beat.

They key is scheduling just hard enough that the teams you beat will win between say 5 and 9 games, while actually not going too tough that you can't win.

Status
Not open for further replies.