Travel restrictions, etc., etc.!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SWGA Fan

I'm new to your message board, so humor me if you will.

1. Are there any travel restrictions for your out of state contests? I viewed the message boards last season, for travel parameters for that team up North's state high schools. And I believe that they said that it was a mere 300 miles! HECK, they can't even play some teams in their own STATE! LOL

You'll probably LUUUV this. I was there to give them info on one of their HOF coaches, who had taken a job at one of the schools in our region, Tift Co.. And at this writing in year two, he is cumulatively 7-14!!! OUCH, that HAD to leave a mark.

2. What is the definition of the team grouping in your state, that you play every season? Like in the NFL, it's their division. In my state, it's called our REGION. In my case it's what we call Region 1AAAAAAA, or more simply 1-7A to you. (Which is Valdosta's region, currently) Very confusing to me. Some folks in other states even call it their conference. What say you?

3. And unless Massillon has grown greatly since I was there in 2002. WHY do they have three high schools?

4. And does Ohio have open enrollment?

Thanks in advance!

1. Yes there are travel restrictions once school has started. Before school is in session or during holiday breaks you can travel as much as desired.
2. There is no such arrangement in Ohio, teams can choose to play whoever they want and choose to not play whoever they want. Many teams have a league or conference. But some are independent, teams in a league or conference may open the season with anywhere from 1 to 5 out of conference games.

Teams are assigned to divisions with the largest being D-I and the smallest D-VII. Teams are further grouped into regions with 4 regions per division. But there is no requirement to play anyone in your division or region until the playoffs which the top 16 teams in each region qualify for, it formerly was 8 most recently.

3. Massillon does not have 3 high schools. It is just a naming convention based off of mailing address, but the other 2 schools with Massillon in the name are not a part of Massillon schools. Perry and Jackson are their own school districts and operate independently of Massillon Washington. They serve different areas than Massillon Washington, and do not serve anyone within Massillon's boundaries.

4. Most affluent and or non diverse communities and schools have closed enrollment. Others have open enrollment only to certain usually adjacent school districts. And some have completely open enrollment and are open to anyone in the state of Ohio or potentially adjacent states for schools near the state line.

2) Out-of-State Travel

A football team may travel out of state to compete in contests (scrimmages, previews and games) in states that are contiguous to Ohio regardless of distance to travel. The states include Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Pennsylvania and West Virginia. The Canadian province includes Ontario. Additionally, a football team may travel to a non-contiguous state or province one time per interscholastic season. (Bylaw 9-2-1). Schools must complete the form from the following link when they are participating in a non-contiguous state: https://ohsaaweb.blob.core.windows.net/files/Eligibility/forms/NonBorderingStateApproval.pdf .

1. Yes there are travel restrictions once school has started. Before school is in session or during holiday breaks you can travel as much as desired.
2. There is no such arrangement in Ohio, teams can choose to play whoever they want and choose to not play whoever they want. Many teams have a league or conference. But some are independent, teams in a league or conference may open the season with anywhere from 1 to 5 out of conference games.
Thanks for the response. That being said, how does a team qualify for the playoffs, out of a "region" of eighteen teams, such as is the case with Massillon?

You accumulate points in the ranking system for defeating or tieing opponents. You get more points for defeating a D-I team and less for D-VII. You also get more points for defeating an opponent with a better record. For ties you only get half as many points, ties usually don't happen anymore.
I believe Massillon has more than 18 teams in their region off the top of my head.
The top 16 teams in points in each region qualify for the playoffs.

Teams are assigned to divisions with the largest being D-I and the smallest D-VII. Teams are further grouped into regions with 4 regions per division. But there is no requirement to play anyone in your division or region until the playoffs which the top 16 teams in each region qualify for, it formerly was 8 most recently.
GEEEEZ! MUST be nice to skirt competition in your own 'district'. We have HAD to play the winningest team on the planet nearly EVERY season, since 1913, when we tied that first game! No doubt why until the mid nineties, nobody nationwide had ever heard of my Colquitt County Packers! But in the past three decades, we are partly to blame for that win gap with Valdosta, closing with the two teams in ole Kentuck. smile

3. Massillon does not have 3 high schools. It is just a naming convention based off of mailing address, but the other 2 schools with Massillon in the name are not a part of Massillon schools. Perry and Jackson are their own school districts and operate independently of Massillon Washington. They serve different areas than Massillon Washington, and do not serve anyone within Massillon's boundaries.
Thanks for the clarification. So, I'm to assume that Massillon, along with other Ohio schools, don't have the luxury of open enrollment, as the city schools do in my state?

Schools in Ohio are free to have closed enrollment, open enrollment, or open only to adjacent districts. Ohio has competitive balance numbers which count students from outside their district as more than one student. Many schools have open enrollment in Ohio. For Catholic and other parochial and private schools, there are designated feeder junior high and middle schools that are used to determine if the student counts extra or not.

4. Most affluent and or non diverse communities and schools have closed enrollment. Others have open enrollment only to certain usually adjacent school districts. And some have completely open enrollment and are open to anyone in the state of Ohio or potentially adjacent states for schools near the state line.
You DO realize that those rules are greatly confusing to us ignorant outsiders? BUT whatever floats your boat, I suppose.

Schools in Ohio are free to have closed enrollment, open enrollment, or open only to adjacent districts. Ohio has competitive balance numbers which count students from outside their district as more than one student. Many schools have open enrollment in Ohio. For Catholic and other parochial and private schools, there are designated feeder junior high and middle schools that are used to determine if the student counts extra or not.
Our poor lil AA school in Buford, just got a dose of reality this season! For forty seasons, they have abused the privilege of being an open enrollment, city school. And have won dozens of state titles, playing in the lower classifications. But last season, the GHSA, our governing body implemented a 3X multiplier for out of zones students. Thus, placing lil Buford, with their 1100 local students and 350 athletic transfers, into the BIG LEAGUES of 7A! And they even walked on water for a minute, in upsetting Caleb Downs and Mill Creek(enrollment 4,000) in regular season. But then, Walton put them out of their misery in the second round of the playoffs. I guess that they discovered that one can't expect to sleepwalk through 7A like they did in the lower classifications.

As an aside, I nearly spit up my Fruit Loops, when Herbie invited lil Buford, which garners its enrollment from four metro Atlanta counties of over 2,000,000, to play in his Ohio vs the USA Challenge! Not surprisingly, their opponent, Mansfield Timberview, was NOT amused! Buford 42 Timberview 7.

^^^
f-er douche trying too hard to be too cool for school. You think that zhit ingratiating?
You DO realize that those rules are greatly confusing to us ignorant outsiders? BUT whatever floats your boat, I suppose.
It's not his fault you're stupid. He simply explained the rules and situation, with no snark., trying to help. WTF is your problem?

Harbins for Dumbazzes
Results of Harbins, for Dumbazzes.

2) Out-of-State Travel

A football team may travel out of state to compete in contests (scrimmages, previews and games) in states that are contiguous to Ohio regardless of distance to travel. The states include Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Pennsylvania and West Virginia. The Canadian province includes Ontario. Additionally, a football team may travel to a non-contiguous state or province one time per interscholastic season. (Bylaw 9-2-1). Schools must complete the form from the following link when they are participating in a non-contiguous state: https://ohsaaweb.blob.core.windows.net/files/Eligibility/forms/NonBorderingStateApproval.pdf .
Enlight of that fact concerning a one off per season, for locales with no mileage restrictions. It would certainly be nice, if Ohio would return the favor by trekking down South to the ATL for the Corky Kell Classic. We've been trying to entice Tenn., Ala., S.C., N.C., and Fla. to come to this event for years. And only last season, did Hoover, Ala. accept.

Valdosta will mark the third time we've come North in the recent past. (Massillon, Mansfield Timberview, and Glennville)

Massillon actually has 4 schools that use the Massillon prefix- Massillon Washington, Perry, Jackson, and Tuslaw. However the only Massillon school is Washington. The others just use it for mailing/location purposes. Concerning regions, there are 28 teams in Massillons region. And while on the subject of playing schools in your region, why doesn’t the OHSAA reward teams by playing schools in your region by giving you an extra computer point or 2 win or lose. What does everyone think of that idea.

Your analysis is accurate, until your last sentence. Some of these school districts’ land are within the City of Massillon’s boundaries. (Massillon City, Perry, Tuslaw, Jackson and Fairless Locals). School districts’ boundaries do not match municipal boundaries. In addition, Massillon Christian is located within the city limits.

Last edited:
Massillon actually has 4 schools that use the Massillon prefix- Massillon Washington, Perry, Jackson, and Tuslaw. However the only Massillon school is Washington. The others just use it for mailing/location purposes. Concerning regions, there are 28 teams in Massillons region. And while on the subject of playing schools in your region, why doesn’t the OHSAA reward teams by playing schools in your region by giving you an extra computer point or 2 win or lose. What does everyone think of that idea.

No

To cut to the chase, yes, Massillon does have open enrollment and any student in the state can attend. They are always, at, or very near to the top, of schools with their number of football players living in another school district.

4. Most affluent and or non diverse communities and schools have closed enrollment.
I would like to correct your statement..most affluent and or non diverse communities..really...what about if the school does not have the physical size..ie buildings to handle open enrollment. I am wondering how that is affluent and non diverse

This is from the OHSAA site, this shows the competitive balance #’s for Massillon’s region last year. Massillon is an open enrollment school and as you can see there are 10 other schools in this division that have a higher competitive balance # than Massillon. So as you can see the #’s don’t lie, there are many schools that benefit more from open enrollment/transfers then Massillon.

This is from the OHSAA site, this shows the competitive balance #’s for Massillon’s region last year. Massillon is an open enrollment school and as you can see there are 10 other schools in this division that have a higher competitive balance # than Massillon. So as you can see the #’s don’t lie, there are many schools that benefit more from open enrollment/transfers then Massillon.
But, comparing competitive balance numbers between public and private schools makes no sense. It's just like comparing apples to oranges.

Currently, there's only one public school in this division that has a higher CB number than Massillon. And they have been at, or very near the top since Competitive Balance was instituted.

The travel, open enrollment, regions and divisions and anything else is irrelevant when Massillon and Valdosta take the field on Friday Aug 18. A game that will be the most talked about game in the Country leading up to it. The most combined wins to ever play in a high school football game.

Status
Not open for further replies.