Track Week 1/2 Hub: Meet Previews, Predictions, Results.

CoventryTrackXCguy

Alright. So now we are getting to my favorite season of the year. Track Season. Lets get some discussions going. Where's everyone gonna be at the first couple weeks of the season?

Salem has a dual meet next Tuesday and then the Cope Invitational at home on Thursday, March 29th. Then off to the East Canton Invitational the next weekend. The boys should be pretty well set from the 400 on up; we had a sophomore run in the 9:30's in the 3200 at the state indoor championship. His brother is also a strong runner along with a senior who will be good in the 400 and 800. I'm not sure about the short sprints and hurdles. The girls have a good distance squad, but we'll have to wait and see about the sprints. Coventry: Are you going to be in Salem this year for the Cope Invitational and the District meet? I just hope this nasty Spring weather begins to cooperate!

Here is our schedule for the season if anyone is interested.
https://coventryathletics.org/teams/2209218/boys/track/varsity/schedule#

Tuesday is our season opener against Hoban, they are tough these days.

Thursday we return to the Cope.

As for how good our team will be this season...I honestly don't really know. We graduated some studs last season. This years team currently brings back very few studs from last year; our upperclassmen are rather weak. Sibley, sprints, may still be injured from Basketball season. Hilbert is good in distance, but not elite. We have a decent thrower in Dauberman, and a decent 800 runner in Skaggs. We have another mid-distance/jumper guy in Hinzman, who is also a wrestler. In addition, we do have the best underclassman group ive seen. But that will take time for them to develop to their full potential. Because of all that, there is just a lot of variables involved. So we will see, hopefully people can step up, and a few of our athletes can have some major breakout seasons. This will be interesting.

As for how the PTC Metro will shake out. I think it will go to Woodridge again. Unless if a lot of Coventrys younger talent have breakout seasons, which I wont rule out; then things could get interesting. I think Coventry will edge out Norton for second. Streetsboro graduated a lot in the sprints last year, I think they will be down, and in 4th. Then everybody else. Unless Field gets its act together.

Last edited:
Alright. So now we are getting to my favorite season of the year. Track Season. Lets get some discussions going. Where's everyone gonna be at the first couple weeks of the season?

Just going by Baumspage, it looks like it was 50/50 on Saturday as far as whether or not meets happened. Most impressive result I saw was a girl from Brunswick who ran a 10:50 in the 3200 at Strongsville. I'll wager that it was not particularly warm weather.

My school was at an abbreviated tri-meet on Saturday at Perry w/ Massillon - no relays, no 3200. Well, Massillon sorta showed. They forgot the meet was on their schedule until a couple days prior and could not arrange for a bus, so they made it optional for their boys while the girls did not attend. Some boys showed. We had constant sunshine to make it feel warmer than it was, and nobody got hurt. Even though kids were hampered by the weather, it was nice for them to finally compete against someone else and log some meaningful results.

There will be a tri-meet on Tues. at Tusky Valley w/ Fairless and then off to Fairless for the Falcon Invitational on Saturday. Our school has spring break next week. As a parochial, my school's spring break always begins on Good Friday, whereas the local publics all have theirs during the last week of March, regardless of when Easter falls.

Salem has a dual meet next Tuesday and then the Cope Invitational at home on Thursday, March 29th. Then off to the East Canton Invitational the next weekend. The boys should be pretty well set from the 400 on up; we had a sophomore run in the 9:30's in the 3200 at the state indoor championship. His brother is also a strong runner along with a senior who will be good in the 400 and 800. I'm not sure about the short sprints and hurdles. The girls have a good distance squad, but we'll have to wait and see about the sprints. Coventry: Are you going to be in Salem this year for the Cope Invitational and the District meet? I just hope this nasty Spring weather begins to cooperate!

As do I, but the extended forecast is not too encouraging. It looks like any significant warmth may be accompanied by precipitation which makes meets even more uncomfortable, IMHO. Unless it's going to be over 70, I'll take dry over wet all day.

Just going by Baumspage, it looks like it was 50/50 on Saturday as far as whether or not meets happened. Most impressive result I saw was a girl from Brunswick who ran a 10:50 in the 3200 at Strongsville. I'll wager that it was not particularly warm weather.

My school was at an abbreviated tri-meet on Saturday at Perry w/ Massillon - no relays, no 3200. Well, Massillon sorta showed. They forgot the meet was on their schedule until a couple days prior and could not arrange for a bus, so they made it optional for their boys while the girls did not attend. Some boys showed. We had constant sunshine to make it feel warmer than it was, and nobody got hurt. Even though kids were hampered by the weather, it was nice for them to finally compete against someone else and log some meaningful results.

There will be a tri-meet on Tues. at Tusky Valley w/ Fairless and then off to Fairless for the Falcon Invitational on Saturday. Our school has spring break next week. As a parochial, my school's spring break always begins on Good Friday, whereas the local publics all have theirs during the last week of March, regardless of when Easter falls.

The timing of Spring breaks has made our dual meet series with Hoban interesting. We've dualed Hoban the last three seasons. The series stands at 2-1 Coventry. Coventry won a thriller in 2015, 60-59. We took 2016 with a commanding 74-54 win. 2017, a combination of graduation losses and injuries left our team decimated, and we fell to Hoban 48-80. This year, who knows. It gets interesting when the meet coincides with 1 school's spring break, because athletes may be on vacation. Add to that that the meet is usually the first meet of the season for both teams, right at the end of march, chances are high someone pulls a muscle due to the cold. The Coventry-Hoban duals can be fairly unpredictable.

Norton looks like the best returning boys team in the PTC. Woodridge should be right there in the hunt. Tuesday will be a big meet. Coventry has a lot of work to do to get into the mix.

Norton looks like the best returning boys team in the PTC. Woodridge should be right there in the hunt. Tuesday will be a big meet. Coventry has a lot of work to do to get into the mix.

Coventry will do just fine. Sibley is still king here, and he shall continue to enjoy the support of strong upperclassmen like Skaggs, Dauberman, Hilbert, Marcin, Rankin, and Hinzman, not unlike in football season.

Coventry will do just fine. Sibley is still king here, and he shall continue to enjoy the support of strong upperclassmen like Skaggs, Dauberman, Hilbert, Marcin, Rankin, and Hinzman, not unlike in football season.

Looks like another typical crappy weather forecast for the Cope. Some meets are simply never allowed to have good weather, or so it would seem.

Looks like another typical crappy weather forecast for the Cope. Some meets are simply never allowed to have good weather, or so it would seem.

Yeah, no kidding. Hoban actually went and cancelled our dual meet. The weather wasn't terrific yesterday, but it was still 50's and misty. Tolerable. If Coventry was hosting this year, they would not have cancelled. Very wimpy people at Hoban, I tell you! Sad!

Yeah, no kidding. Hoban actually went and cancelled our dual meet. The weather wasn't terrific yesterday, but it was still 50's and misty. Tolerable. If Coventry was hosting this year, they would not have cancelled. Very wimpy people at Hoban, I tell you! Sad!

They must not have any transfers that have to sit 8 meets. Hahaha. The O'Neils are good guys, but you gotta watch some of those other Hobanites. They'll look for any home advantage they can. Twice we went there for dual meets. Both times, the officials came up to us as soon as we got off the bus and asked if we would be ready to run in 15 minutes. Are you kidding me? I was able to talk them into giving us 20 minutes. 1 of those times, we also saw St. V. warming up on the infield as we pulled into the parking lot. Hoban never told us they were coming.

Hoban wasn't the only one to cancel a meet on Tuesday. I know of at least 1 Federal League dual that was canceled. The forecast misled some folks, and with many schools on spring break and having their rosters weakened by it, I'm sure a few coaches were looking for a convenient reason to postpone their meets.

We got ours in and never felt more than a few drops of mist. Whatever Tusky Valley did to keep the rain away, it worked. They ran a good meet. It wasn't pretty weather, but it was, as you said, tolerable.

:mad::dang: Every meet that I know of on Saturday 3/24 was cancelled here in SW Ohio because of the snow. Smaller meets were run yesterday and today.

They must not have any transfers that have to sit 8 meets. Hahaha. The O'Neils are good guys, but you gotta watch some of those other Hobanites. They'll look for any home advantage they can. Twice we went there for dual meets. Both times, the officials came up to us as soon as we got off the bus and asked if we would be ready to run in 15 minutes. Are you kidding me? I was able to talk them into giving us 20 minutes. 1 of those times, we also saw St. V. warming up on the infield as we pulled into the parking lot. Hoban never told us they were coming.

Hoban wasn't the only one to cancel a meet on Tuesday. I know of at least 1 Federal League dual that was canceled. The forecast misled some folks, and with many schools on spring break and having their rosters weakened by it, I'm sure a few coaches were looking for a convenient reason to postpone their meets.

We got ours in and never felt more than a few drops of mist. Whatever Tusky Valley did to keep the rain away, it worked. They ran a good meet. It wasn't pretty weather, but it was, as you said, tolerable.

Yeah. Imagine that. We come up to hoban for a dual meet. And Surprise! SVSM is right there waiting for us. I mean, if we are dualing a team of the caliber of SVSM, we'd like a bit more than 30 minutes heads up, you know, to adjust our lineup in the hopes of contending this challenge. And the Coventry teams of 2015 and 2016 would have been very capable of beating SVSM in a dual, believe me, although probably not so much now.

Our first dual meet vs Hoban in 2015 was actually held at Our Lady of the Elms. Terrible venue by the way. No high jump pit. I'm sure that was planned, as Coventry has no problems sweeping Hoban in that event. 9 easy points...taken from us. We still won, 60-59. But that meet went down to the wire. And it was 35 degrees. And it was freezing rain. And the meet officials that Hoban picked out for this meet were terrible. The meet, which started at 4:00, didn't get done till 9:00. PTC officials would have had this wrapped up by 7:00. Unbelievable. And we were out there freezing. Our best sprinter scorers, whom our team had relied on for big points in 2014. Injured. Not serious, but they were out for much of the meet. We had to come up with a victory ourselves, because the cavalry wasn't coming that time. we were down 4 by the 4 by 400. We had to run second stringers in that event. Two of whom never ran track before. All of whom thought they were done racing that day. 5 minutes prior to the start of the event. They still won the event and the meet. Pure guts. But dang. This is the kind of stuff we deal with when dueling those guys. Sad!

just out of curiosity, how much of Tallmadge's football team comes out to the track team? I'm just trying to get a gauge of how many of the better football teams emphasize track in the springtime.

I don’t know of any off hand, but there might be a couple. I know Hussing and Ambrose and Passerelli are all basketball players.

Salem put everyone to the sword on Thurs. evening at their home invite. The Quaker boys scored 144 pts. while the girls scored 151.5 pts. for easy victories. Coventry boys were 2nd with 89 pts. Youngstown East girls were 2nd with 101 pts.

Salem put everyone to the sword on Thurs. evening at their home invite. The Quaker boys scored 144 pts. while the girls scored 151.5 pts. for easy victories. Coventry boys were 2nd with 89 pts. Youngstown East girls were 2nd with 101 pts.

Yep. I'm alright with our performance at Salem, I believe. We did show some flashes of our old selves in some events, like the hurdles, the long jump. Other events were major areas of concern, like the 100's, the 400's and 800's (although Skaggs, who's fastest 800 meter time is 2:04, typically struggles a bit more in the early season), as well as the shot put. The thing to keep in mind going forward, however is much of our scoring capabilities this year are young, sophomores and juniors. We don't graduate that much this year, so with keeping that in mind, I liked what I saw overall. We just need to build on it going forward.

I will be at the Newark Invitational tomorrow. Some of the Thomas Worthington kids are away on spring break and will not be there to compete. Pretty low-key first meet of the season.

The following week will be at the Stingel Invitational.

Salem performed pretty much as I expected. The boys look strong in the 400 and up; relays did well but the times were a bit slow, I'm sure thanks to the weather. On the girls side, Caitlyn Marx is off to a strong start by tying the county and school record in the girls disc with a toss of 146'-0" in less than ideal conditions. The girls distance squad also looks strong this year. We'll probably have to wait for warmer and drier conditions to see how the sprinters will fare. Next weekend's meet at East Canton should provide some tough competition. Looks like the long range forecast is calling for cool conditions again.

The Tuesday and Thursday meets in South Western Ohio were crazy with weather. Temp, rain and wind were very impactful. A number of field events cancelled and the last 3 or 4 track events cancelled. Girls times were off. Williams and Pierce from Beavercreek were in the 5.20’s at the quint Tuesday in the mile and Erbach from Lebanon was also in the 5.20’s on Thursday, all 3 much faster runners than those times. Wayne won the Quint with Creek 2nd for girls and Wayne Dominated the boys side. Lebanon won the Edgewood meet on the girls side just in front of Tallwanda.

Coventry was at Lakeview Relays, out in Cortland last night. It was cold, snowy, and the team was just downright miserable. Coach Savage, barely a couple of events into the meet, noped it out of there. And frankly, I agree with his decision. Normally, I am all for toughing it out in adverse conditions. But last night...I just simply don't see how we as a team, profit from this. Even if we stay and compete, and potentially take home the trophy, the chance of injury is simply too high. Last year, we kind of already got hit by the injury bug. In addition, our team is incredibly young. Athletes would more then likely feel motivated to quit. I believe Savages decision to withdraw his troops was warranted in this case.

Yep. I'm alright with our performance at Salem, I believe. We did show some flashes of our old selves in some events, like the hurdles, the long jump. Other events were major areas of concern, like the 100's, the 400's and 800's (although Skaggs, who's fastest 800 meter time is 2:04, typically struggles a bit more in the early season), as well as the shot put. The thing to keep in mind going forward, however is much of our scoring capabilities this year are young, sophomores and juniors. We don't graduate that much this year, so with keeping that in mind, I liked what I saw overall. We just need to build on it going forward.

I anticipate the young scoring opportunities will need to develop. Flashes of past Coventry glory will need to reappear. Once your bulletin board words are shared...tomorrow 4/12, evening up the series 2-2 will be second thought. This onslaught unfortunately that will happen will not be your athlete's doing, I'm sure they're great kids, but yours.

I anticipate the young scoring opportunities will need to develop. Flashes of past Coventry glory will need to reappear. Once your bulletin board words are shared...tomorrow 4/12, evening up the series 2-2 will be second thought. This onslaught unfortunately that will happen will not be your athlete's doing, I'm sure they're great kids, but yours.
Hoban has gotten better the last couple years. Even so, I can say with certainty the Coventry teams of 2015 or 2016, featuring star athletes like Zack Lake, Burkhart, Skaggs, Jones, Collins, and Sibley, would have taken care of even this years hoban squad.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk