Tournament Draw

We are less than a week away from the tournament bracket being set. In SW Ohio, it looks like Beavercreek and Lakota West, then everybody else. Who has the best chance of knocking either of these teams off?

Five sections in Cincy and 3 in Dayton. Here are my top seeds right now:
Cincy
1. Lakota West
2. Anderson
3. Loveland
4. Mason
5. St. Ursula

Dayton
1. Beavercreek
2. Centerville
3. Springboro

Agree with your Dayton seeding, would switch Cincy around a bit, not sure I have Loveland over Mason, and not sure I have Anderson that high. But regardless, the regional final will be the game to be at between Lakota West and Beavercreek. I still give the edge to Lakota West in that game even though New Albany managed to play them to a tie. I don't think the combination of the offensive threat in KD and the strong play in keeper MP is something Beavercreek will overcome, despite DB's skill set.

Agree with your Dayton seeding, would switch Cincy around a bit, not sure I have Loveland over Mason, and not sure I have Anderson that high. But regardless, the regional final will be the game to be at between Lakota West and Beavercreek. I still give the edge to Lakota West in that game even though New Albany managed to play them to a tie. I don't think the combination of the offensive threat in KD and the strong play in keeper MP is something Beavercreek will overcome, despite DB's skill set.
I think you’re right. Anderson is up there due to their consistency and I have Loveland over Mason due mostly to recent form. Mason on a bit of a low patch and Loveland seems to be turning a corner in terms of style of play. I actually think they have the best shot at beating West of anyone other than Beavercreek. Don’t think it will happen, but I think they’re the biggest threat.

It won't knock Lakota West from the top seed in Cincinnati, but I just saw that they tied Fairfield last night. Fairfield is not good.
Every team can have bad games. Might be good for them going into the tourney to make some adjustments and get refocused. I heard Fairfield played terrible soccer. A Fairfield graduate told me they were embarrassed by how Fairfield played last night. 4 yellow cards and a red card for the coach.

Every team can have bad games. Might be good for them going into the tourney to make some adjustments and get refocused. I heard Fairfield played terrible soccer. A Fairfield graduate told me they were embarrassed by how Fairfield played last night. 4 yellow cards and a red card for the coach.

Bad soccer in what way? Tying the 5th ranked team in the Nation, is pretty darn good. Not sure about the cards, wasn't there, but first I heard about that. I assume maybe you meant it was embarrassing with the cards.

Bad soccer in what way? Tying the 5th ranked team in the Nation, is pretty darn good. Not sure about the cards, wasn't there, but first I heard about that. I assume maybe you meant it was embarrassing with the cards.

I am not sure. I wasn’t there. It was a coaching friend that graduated from Fairfield. Total kickball out of bounds every single time they touched it. Packed 10 people in box. Only scored off a corner and free kick. But to give them credit they did tie them.

Effective game plan that was well executed against a far superior team and ended up with a result. Doesn't sound like terrible soccer to me. Maybe ugly, but it got the job done.

I heard the red card came after West was awarded a penalty in the last minute and the FF coach blew his top. Don't know if it was a good call or not, but I would probably be upset too if I came that close to beating a top 5 team in the state then give up a pk with a minute to go.

The red card came earlier in the second half with approximately 8 minutes left in the game, coach was already kicked out before the pk in the last minute. The pk in the last minute was for a handball in the box. I was there, but I disagree with the kickball comment. Fairfield didn't try to run the clock out until late when they were up 2-1 with a couple minutes left. The ref stopped the clock every time they kicked the ball out of bounds and every chance he had. West had plenty of time and chances to win and just couldn't. I'm surprised nobody else was able to try this defense against her and be successful. KD probably had her worst game of the year, she was frustrated and missed several wide open shots, including missing a pk, right at the goalie.

Last edited:
Ok. So looking at Div 1 for SWOH to see which teams are happy this morning and which aren't and which games to go see in the next few weeks. My guess is SUA not super thrilled today, league champions and the #4 seed but probably not going to win their district. The rest of the GGCL not likely any happier to be looking at potential 3rd game slugfests for their district since that league already plays a regular season home/home series. Mason and Loveland never shy away from a rematch but I was kinda hoping to get a chance to see LW vs. Loveland too, maybe it still happens in a potential regional matchup.

Looks like a few teams will skate through their sections but we should have some good games on 10/17 and 10/21 to decide the rest, barring upsets its likely to look like this in a few weeks:
  • North 3 - not seeing likely challengers to Beavercreek
  • South 2 - SUA vs. Lebanon 10/21
    • North 3 vs. South 2 for SW1 District (Beavercreek recently beat SUA 3-1)
  • South 3 - MND vs. Milford 10/17 (MND won early season 3-0) and then winner vs. Anderson 10/21 (MND beat Anderson early season 1-0, Milford recently tied Anderson 0-0)
  • South 4 - MMcA vs. OH 10/17 (OH won early season 1-0) and then winner vs. Seton 10/21 (Seton tied MMcA early season 2-2 and then beat them recently 2-1, and beat OH early season 3-0)
    • South 3 vs. South 4 on 10/24 for SW2 District (too many games to compare, more clear after 10/17)
  • North 1 - Springboro vs. Carroll 10/21 (tied early season 2-2)
  • South 1 - not seeing likely challengers to Lakota West
    • North 1 vs. South 1 on 10/24 for SW3 District
  • North 2 - not seeing likely challengers to Centerville
  • South 5 - Mason vs. Loveland 10/21 (Mason won early season 1-0)
    • North 2 vs. South 5 on 10/24 for SW4 District
DI Prediction time (someone else please jump in with DII and DIII copy/paste templates, I'm out of time for today)
Who wins their section and plays for Districts on 10/24?
  • North 3 -
  • South 2 -
  • South 3 -
  • South 4 -
  • North 1 -
  • South 1 -
  • North 2 -
  • South 5 -
Who wins Districts and plays in the Regional Semis on 10/29?
  • SW1 (N3 vs. S2) -
  • SW2 (S3 vs S4) -
  • SW3 (N1 vs. S1) -
  • SW4 (N2 vs. S5) -
Who wins the semi and plays for the Region on 11/2?
  • Winner SW1 vs. SW4 -
  • Winner SW2 vs. SW3 -
Who wins the Region heads to Columbus the State Semi on 11/5?
  • Winner SW -

DI Prediction time (someone else please jump in with DII and DIII copy/paste templates, I'm out of time for today)
  • North 3 - Beavercreek
  • South 2 - St. Ursula
  • South 3 - Anderson
  • South 4 - Seton
  • North 1 - Carroll
  • South 1 - Lakota West
  • North 2 - Centerville
  • South 5 - Loveland
  • SW1 (N3 vs. S2) - Beavercreek
  • SW2 (S3 vs S4) - Anderson
  • SW3 (N1 vs. S1) - Lakota West
  • SW4 (N2 vs. S5) - Loveland
  • Winner SW1 vs. SW4 - Loveland
  • Winner SW2 vs. SW3 - Lakota West
  • Winner SW - Lakota West
This is great. My general thoughts: Lakota West and Beavercreek, in that order, are the class of the region, but they aren't untouchable. St. Ursula is not better than Loveland, but it's hard to argue with the seed for either team based on record. I don't know if you can call Loveland a dark horse at #5, but I have them beating Creek, realizing the very real possibility that they lose their second game to Mason. Will be fun to watch it play out. My picks are above.

Ok. So looking at Div 1 for SWOH to see which teams are happy this morning and which aren't and which games to go see in the next few weeks. My guess is SUA not super thrilled today, league champions and the #4 seed but probably not going to win their district. The rest of the GGCL not likely any happier to be looking at potential 3rd game slugfests for their district since that league already plays a regular season home/home series. Mason and Loveland never shy away from a rematch but I was kinda hoping to get a chance to see LW vs. Loveland too, maybe it still happens in a potential regional matchup.

Looks like a few teams will skate through their sections but we should have some good games on 10/17 and 10/21 to decide the rest, barring upsets its likely to look like this in a few weeks:
  • North 3 - not seeing likely challengers to Beavercreek
  • South 2 - SUA vs. Lebanon 10/21
    • North 3 vs. South 2 for SW1 District (Beavercreek recently beat SUA 3-1)
  • South 3 - MND vs. Milford 10/17 (MND won early season 3-0) and then winner vs. Anderson 10/21 (MND beat Anderson early season 1-0, Milford recently tied Anderson 0-0)
  • South 4 - MMcA vs. OH 10/17 (OH won early season 1-0) and then winner vs. Seton 10/21 (Seton tied MMcA early season 2-2 and then beat them recently 2-1, and beat OH early season 3-0)
    • South 3 vs. South 4 on 10/24 for SW2 District (too many games to compare, more clear after 10/17)
  • North 1 - Springboro vs. Carroll 10/21 (tied early season 2-2)
  • South 1 - not seeing likely challengers to Lakota West
    • North 1 vs. South 1 on 10/24 for SW3 District
  • North 2 - not seeing likely challengers to Centerville
  • South 5 - Mason vs. Loveland 10/21 (Mason won early season 1-0)
    • North 2 vs. South 5 on 10/24 for SW4 District
  • North 3 - BC - no challengers
  • South 2 - SUA - tough team with speed, haven't seen Leb but i thin SUA wins close one
  • South 3 - MND - MMcA handled Milford in scrimmage and MND went 1:1 with MMcA
  • South 4 - MMcA - Oak Hills game was a fluke with MMcA missing 3 starters. Seton game will be a toss up.
  • North 1 - Springboro seems to have gotten better as the season went on
  • South 1 - LW - no challengers
  • North 2 - Center - no challengers
  • South 5 - Mason - Beat SUA and already Love.
  • SW1 (N3 vs. S2) - SUA - just because they are battled tested
  • SW2 (S3 vs S4) - Seton - wins close one against MMcA and handles MND as they already have
  • SW3 (N1 vs. S1) - LW - only because they have KD
  • SW4 (N2 vs. S5) - Center - wins close one with Mason
  • Winner SW1 vs. SW4 - SUA - again very athletic physical team with speed
  • Winner SW2 vs. SW3 - LW - i think this will be a high scoring game - KD VS EF & HA i think LW may have the stronger defense
  • Winner SW - LW - only bc they have the better defense

I guess I missed that FF was in a section with LW, and they did just play to a tie, so I guess it might not be fair to say "no likely challengers." So throw that in your decisions, for my own personal picks I will still go with LW for the rematch, I don't think they let that game result rattle them when they have their eyes on a state championship.

• North 3 - BC - no challengers
  • South 2 - SUA - tough team with speed, haven't seen Leb but i thin SUA wins close one
  • South 3 - MND - MMcA handled Milford in scrimmage and MND went 1:1 with MMcA
  • South 4 - MMcA - Oak Hills game was a fluke with MMcA missing 3 starters. Seton game will be a toss up.
  • North 1 - Springboro seems to have gotten better as the season went on
  • South 1 - LW - no challengers
  • North 2 - Center - no challengers
  • South 5 - Mason - Beat SUA and already Love.
  • SW1 (N3 vs. S2) - SUA - just because they are battled tested
  • SW2 (S3 vs S4) - Seton - wins close one against MMcA and handles MND as they already have
  • SW3 (N1 vs. S1) - LW - only because they have KD
  • SW4 (N2 vs. S5) - Center - wins close one with Mason
  • Winner SW1 vs. SW4 - SUA - again very athletic physical team with speed
  • Winner SW2 vs. SW3 - LW - i think this will be a high scoring game - KD VS EF & HA i think LW may have the stronger defense
  • Winner SW - LW - only bc they have the better defense

Creek just beat St. Ursula at St. Ursula 3-1. Controlled the game, went up 3-0 before giving up a goal late. Not bashing you for the pick, as anything is possible, but I would be shocked to see St. Ursula get by Creek.

" Tourney time, anyone can lose to anyone! "

Top contender for DUMBEST quote in YAPPI history. HS soccer is one of the most PREDICTABLE tournaments of any Ohio sport, until round 3 or so. Until then, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• North 3 - Beavercreek (I didn't think they'd be undefeated this year without MC, I was wrong)
  • South 2 - SUA (went back and forth here, honestly think its a toss up and should be a good game, but slight edge to SUA's schedule)
  • South 3 - MND (but wouldn't even raise an eyebrow if they lose in round 1 or 2 either, but Milford and Anderson play weaker schedules)
  • South 4 - Seton (lots clicking this season, they are itching to make a name for themselves)
  • North 1 - Carroll (another toss up, but Springboro seems to have faltered in their harder games recently)
  • South 1 - Lakota West (they are actually even better than I thought they'd be, keeper MP has coached up that back line quite a bit)
  • North 2 - Centerville (thinking they were the happiest with their bracket)
  • South 5 - Loveland (think they are settling in at the right time, think Mason did the opposite).
  • SW1 (N3 vs. S2) - Beavercreek
  • SW2 (S3 vs S4) - Seton
  • SW3 (N1 vs. S1) - Lakota West
  • SW4 (N2 vs. S5) - Loveland
  • Winner SW1 vs. SW4 - Beavercreek
  • Winner SW2 vs. SW3 - Lakota West
  • Winner SW - Lakota West (because I think they'll have an answer for DB but Beavercreek won't have an answer for both KD and MP)

Who is the first upset game of the tournament?

As far as a lower seed beating a upper seed.. Ill say East defeats West Clermont. Might be it for the first round. Not sure Little Miami has enough to knock MM off.

Who is the first upset game of the tournament?

As far as a lower seed beating a upper seed.. Ill say East defeats West Clermont. Might be it for the first round. Not sure Little Miami has enough to knock MM off.
I can see east knocking of WC as they lack a strong finisher, no way LM knocks off MMc, LM tied Harrison and MMc scrimmaged Harrison, it was ugly within 10 mins of play. The speed of MMc will be too much for LM.

I can see east knocking of WC as they lack a strong finisher, no way LM knocks off MMc, LM tied Harrison and MMc scrimmaged Harrison, it was ugly within 10 mins of play. The speed of MMc will be too much for LM.
WC has a stud DA forward who can score at will. But I feel like East has the talent to knock off WC and Seton if they come to play, but who knows. This bracket is tough to gauge. MM could win the sectional, Seton should win the sectional, heck East, or OH could win the sectional. About 5 teams there that could. Should be a fun tourney.

SW Ohio DI games on tap for tonight:
Lakota West v. Northwest
Fairfield v. Harrison
Ursuline v. Walnut Hills
Piqua v. Fairmont
Carroll v. W. Carrollton
Bellbrook v. Tecumseh
Western Brown v. Princeton
MND v. Trupin
W. Clermont v. Lakota East
Mercy McAuley v. Little Miami
Stebbins v. Springfield
Northmont v. Miamisburg
Kings v. Middletown
Hamilton v. Sycamore
Xenia v. Wayne
Fairborn v. Sidney
Colerain v. Edgewood
Talawanda v. Winton Woods

Not much in terms of match-ups, but half of those seniors will be putting on their jerseys for the last time tonight. Best of luck to all!