tOSU vs #24 CORN

bdhof

125 Malik Heinselman (5-4, So.) Dom LaJoie (8-3, So.)
133 No. 18 Quinn Kinner (5-4, r-Fr.) No. 6 Chas Tucker (6-0, Sr.)
141 No. 1 Luke Pletcher (8-0, Sr.) Noah Baughman (9-1, Sr.)
149 No. 10 Sammy Sasso (7-1, r-Fr.) Hunter Richard (8-1, Jr.)
157 Elijah Cleary (6-4, r-Jr.) Colton Yapoujian (10-1, Fr.)
165 No. 14 Ethan Smith (6-3, r-So.) Milik Dawkins (5-0, Sr.)
174 No. 13 Kaleb Romero (7-0, r-So.) No. 11 Brandon Womack (4-1, Sr.)
184 Gavin Hoffman (8-3, r-Fr.) No. 4 Ben Darmstadt (7-2, Jr.)
197 No. 1 Kollin Moore (8-0, r-Sr.) Jonathan Loew (10-1, Fr.)
HWT No. 8 Chase Singletary (2-0, r-So.) -OR-
Gary Traub (10-1, r-Jr.) Brendan Furman (9-2, So.)

This should be a good dual, with Cornell favored (per rankings) at 133, 174 and 184, tOSU favored at 141, 149, 165, 197, and 285 if Singletary goes. Covelli Center is sold out for this one, which is kind of fun for the Buckeyes.

This could get dicey if Singletary doesn't go. tOSU should be solid at 141, 149, 165 and 197. I think tOSU has upset potential at 174. Romero has been pretty solid this year, but hasn't really wrestled anyone. Womack is a 2017 AA (8th) and an NQ and R16 after that. If Hoffman wrestles like we thought he would this year (he hasn't yet), he could hang with Darmstadt. Maybe he'll surprise us.

Wrestlestat.com has tOSU losing this one, losing both tossups at 125 and 157, and winning 285 with or w/o Singletary. The only bonus wins, per WS, is a TF at 184 for Darmstadt and a MD for Singletary. IMO tOSU gets more bonus wins from the likes of Pletcher, Sasso and Moore and pulls this one out. Also a win at 125 and/or 174 wouldn't surprise me. Altho, a tOSU loss wouldn't shock me either. Cornell is always a well-coached team, but their impressive records are more of a reflection of an early soft schedule.

BTW, Cornell has three studs watching this one as 2x NCAA champ Yianni, AA Arujau, and 2x AA Dean are all taking Olympic redshirts. With their full lineup, this is all Cornell.

Later that night...Iowa dismantled Wisconsin, 32-3. Just an FYI. :rolleyes:
#2 DeSanto over #1 Gross, Marinelli over Wick, Cassioppi over Hillger. If Gable doesn't wrestle this season no reason Cassioppi isn't a finals contender. Scary to think about for everyone else

#2 DeSanto over #1 Gross, Marinelli over Wick, Cassioppi over Hillger. If Gable doesn't wrestle this season no reason Cassioppi isn't a finals contender. Scary to think about for everyone else
#2 Marinelli over #3 Wick and #12 Cass over #2 Hilger

Not that Gross is looking for excuses, but he did just suck down to 125 (57kg) at the Bill Farrell. Regardless, Desanto is the real deal.

Look for the NCAA rankings to have Iowa up by 20+ on PSU this week (8 pt lead last week). Obviously, still a lot of wrestling to go so things will change quite a bit in the coming months. What won't change is Iowa and PSU battling for #1 while the rest of the field battles for #3.

I have a feeling that may become the norm

The problem is it wasn't packed. There were more empty seats for this dual than there were for the Standford and VT duals. I have a feeling that seats were bought up by scalpers and then they sat empty. How else do you account for so many empty seats?

The problem is it wasn't packed. There were more empty seats for this dual than there were for the Standford and VT duals. I have a feeling that seats were bought up by scalpers and then they sat empty. How else do you account for so many empty seats?
Was it in fact sold out? I know was how advertised, or anticipated? I know the Dayton Dragons (don't know if still going) owns record for consecutive sell outs for any professional sports team. During that record I attended many games where the stadium was half full, yet every ticket was sold. Just wondering because I was on the fence to go but when advertise as sold out, I wasn't going to make the drive to stand or not get in

Was it in fact sold out? I know was how advertised, or anticipated? I know the Dayton Dragons (don't know if still going) owns record for consecutive sell outs for any professional sports team. During that record I attended many games where the stadium was half full, yet every ticket was sold. Just wondering because I was on the fence to go but when advertise as sold out, I wasn't going to make the drive to stand or not get in

On ticketmaster there were no seats available for the Cornell match except standing room only whereas the other duals all still have tickets available.

FWIW...Iowa/Wisc. dual had a bunch of empty seats as well. Of course they seat over 15k. Maybe it was just the holiday leftovers that kept folks away.
To your point about, 'scalpers' I see a bunch of concerts and when tiks go on sale, scalpers are snatching them up and then the tiks turn up on different tik sites. But of course that's the Ticketbastard monopoly.

Lee for Hodge.
DeSanto wrestled great, easily converting the leg that Gross kept feeding him into TD's. He was also solid on bottom, which folks were saying would be his downfall against Gross.
Lugo was solid. Young looked good, but with Hidlay and Carr in front of him. Marinelli was indeed the, 'BULL' last night.
Wick not taking top was a surprise. Wilcke was disappointing. Murin got a close decision. Kemerer is a title threat. Warner isn't a world beater.
Cassiopi had the upset of the dual.
The Hawkeyes looked very good.
The Buckeyes are on the road for Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska and PSU. Yikes.

I’m sure it was sold out. Just because all the tickets were purchased does not mean every ticketholder goes to the event.

It wasn’t sold out by any definition. I checked before the match started and there were two entire rows plus some more available for purchase, in addition to the standing room only tickets. And they never said it was sold out during or online after. But sections are definitely either owned by donors that never show up or they hold them for groups to buy and it never comes to fruition. It’s not like there’s 2-4 seats open scattered throughout. Entire sections or blocks of seats are empty. The bottom part of section 4 is unavailable for purchase for every match, but no one sits there. At this match there were two random guys in the whole section. Even the floor seats were like half empty. And there were huge holes on the tv side of the stands by the mat, what should be the prime seats. At the very least they need to go around and invite people to move down/around after one or two matches. It’s going to look pathetic on FS1 in a few weeks if they don’t at least make the crowd look good on tv.

OSU students couldn’t care less about wrestling. They should take that offer of free tickets and give it to high school kids instead. They will make way more money in concessions and merchandise if they at least get people in the door.