tOSU Lineup Revisited

bdhof

Captain Kerk announced that he would take a RS his freshman year, soon after he knocked off AA Wood, LEH, in winning the U23 slot for Team USA (could face a wrestle-off with Steveson if Gable loses to Gwiz). Singletary won the 97kg slot at U23 beating AA Honis, CORN. I wonder if that indicates that Coach Ryan is punting this year. Is this a pick and choose punt for tOSU, a Captain Kerk punt, or an all-out punt? Hard to say. The rumors are picking up that Singletary will go 197 after Moore graduates (97kg = 213lbs). Guys like Pletcher, Heinselman and others could opt for RS as well. I think this year is PSU's for the taking with all their 6th-year guys returning, altho IOWA could challenge them. Here's my best lineup w/o Kerk.

125 Heinselman
133 Pletcher 2x AA
141 Hayes
149 Sasso
157 Mattox
165 Romero/Jordan
174 Kharch
184 Hoffman
197 Moore
285 Singletary

As I said above, some of these guys could RS, with Kerk being the only one to announce his intentions thus far. This is a really good lineup, but likely 3rd at best behind PSU and IOWA.

I think the biggest questions now are at 165 and 174. From what I hear, Romero will be back at 165. 174 will be Rocky or Ethan Smith. I have also heard that Smith could attempt to make 165.

I think many are underestimating some of young men.

Sasso - Had privilege of watching many of freestyle matches. So impressive. I don't usually say things like this, but he will be national champion. Not this year but never know.

Hoffman - Would have started day 1 at all but a few programs in country. Just because behind Martin does not mean not elite.

Romero - If between him and Jordan, Romero will win. Not most technical, but far superior athlete.

Now negatives

Mattox - I am surprised to see him in starters. Have watched him a few times over years, never came away thinking he was elite talent. No one else at 157?

Moore - can he get done on big stage? Tough to tell whether block was Nickal, or mental.

Alhamdulillah

I think many are underestimating some of young men.

Sasso - Had privilege of watching many of freestyle matches. So impressive. I don't usually say things like this, but he will be national champion. Not this year but never know.

Hoffman - Would have started day 1 at all but a few programs in country. Just because behind Martin does not mean not elite.

Romero - If between him and Jordan, Romero will win. Not most technical, but far superior athlete.

Now negatives

Mattox - I am surprised to see him in starters. Have watched him a few times over years, never came away thinking he was elite talent. No one else at 157?

Moore - can he get done on big stage? Tough to tell whether block was Nickal, or mental.

Alhamdulillah

You list Romero as a positive when he wasn’t even able to hold down the starting spot for the year. 165 was a glaring hole in the lineup and will remain that way if Romero is there again. Curious why you believe Rocky can’t beat him?

Mattox is a stud. They will be just fine with him at 157.

I thought Romero was so close to turning a corner last year. He looked great at UWW u23, let's hope he continues to progress.

I'm rooting for Mattox. He's got all the talent in the world , but it will be interesting to see how he handles his 1st year with a D1 B10 schedule.

In last weekend's U23 tourney, Pletcher went 143, Mattox went 163, and Romero went 174. I suspect Hayes would have a terrible time making 141 even once, let alone 20 or 25 times.

Is there a (reasonable) scenario where much of the lineup is pushed up a weight, especially is Karchla redshirts? Maybe Decatur in at 133?

In last weekend's U23 tourney, Pletcher went 143, Mattox went 163, and Romero went 174. I suspect Hayes would have a terrible time making 141 even once, let alone 20 or 25 times.

Is there a (reasonable) scenario where much of the lineup is pushed up a weight, especially is Karchla redshirts? Maybe Decatur in at 133?

Hayes wrestled off McKenna for the 141 spot in October 2017, 16 months ago. He likely tried to bulk up for 149 that season and 157 this past year. It'll be interesting to see where he ends up. I'm not sure he can beat Sasso, so 149 may not be an option. So, he then goes 157 again where he is obviously too small or cuts to 141. This tOSU team is very deep right now. They have plenty of guys who could crack the lineup, depending on RS. My depth chart - guys who could have some success, (not necessarily in order) looks like this:

125 Heinselman
133 Pletcher, Decatur
141 Hayes, D'Emilio, Kinner
149 Sasso
157 Mattox
165 Romero
174 Kharch, Jordan, Smith
184 Hoffman
197 Moore
285 Kerk (RS), Singletary

I think the younger Decatur could also have some success but will need to grow into the weight at 125. So far, Kerk is the only one to offically announce a RS. Others likely wll follow in the fall. And I see one of the 174s dropping to 165 for the starting spot.

2 LOCKS, Moore 197, Sasso 149. Otherwise all options open.
Smith might compete at 165. Rocky Jordan looks good at 174. Theres a spot for Hoffman at 184. Re 141, Kinner & Stickley also will compete there.

re RS,
...Kerkvliet yes, but could come out in Jan if Singletary not ranked pretty high by then.
...Karchla will RS, this is the SUREST RS, 165 loaded this year will clear out next year,
...Pletcher just might RS, might happen if Jordan Decatur shines.
...D'Emilio will RS.

RS is a privilege. Ryan & staff will decide who RS's.

Replying to this even though old as heard new information today. Kharchla considering 165 and not taking redshirt.

Alhamdulillah

Replying to this even though old as heard new information today. Kharchla considering 165 and not taking redshirt.

Alhamdulillah

If he’s going 165 he’d be silly to wrestle as a true frosh imo, let 165 clear out, its loaded with Joseph, Lewis, White, Shields, Marinelli, Wick, Massa, Joe Smith, etc.

If he’s going 165 he’d be silly to wrestle as a true frosh imo, let 165 clear out, its loaded with Joseph, Lewis, White, Shields, Marinelli, Wick, Massa, Joe Smith, etc.

Kharchla is all about freestyle. He is short and no way he is a 86kg guy. He is a 74kg which means 165 at OSU. No idea if he redshirts or not but agree he should RS.

Kharchla is all about freestyle. He is short and no way he is a 86kg guy. He is a 74kg which means 165 at OSU. No idea if he redshirts or not but agree he should RS.

Being all about freestyle, I think he has more of a Kyle Snyder mentality and may think of NCAA wrestling as secondary to his aspirations in freestyle. And, while 165 is loaded this year, I think he fears no one. I'm not saying that he'll be as successful as Snyder in NCAAs or freestyle, but that's his mentality. No idea what his thoughts about RS are, but I could see him getting on the podium whenever he chooses to throw his hat in the ring.

You know three of those guys are coming back in 2021 don't you, including the returning champ?

Last edited:
With Miron saying he was going to RS this season and 65 being loaded I would be surprised if there was a change of heart.

Alhamdulillah

I could see why you feel that way about Mattox, his style is a little weird but he does have a win over O'Connor from North Carolina (who finished 3rd at NCAA as a freshman this year) and was right there with Lee when he wrestled him.

He may not be a freshman AA type kid (we will see) but I think he will definitely be a multi time qualifier and possibly multi time AA in his career.

You know three of those guys are coming back next year, don't you, including the returning champ?

And I'm wondering if Massa takes the Olympic redshirt after making the U23 team.

165 is a tough weight, and probably will be for a while

Massa did not compete at U23 Trials.

I think he might be mixing up Massa with Pantaleo.

Not sure who I was thinking of (been a long work week) but you both are correct.

Back to Ohio St, it's fun to speculate about those middle weight spots, but the ones that interest me most are Pletcher and Moore. Those two are the surest AA threats the team has, and they both have redshirts available. This whole lineup is a mess and would be even more so if either one doesn't wrestle the 2020 season.

Not sure who I was thinking of (been a long work week) but you both are correct.

Back to Ohio St, it's fun to speculate about those middle weight spots, but the ones that interest me most are Pletcher and Moore. Those two are the surest AA threats the team has, and they both have redshirts available. This whole lineup is a mess and would be even more so if either one doesn't wrestle the 2020 season.

Should Ohio State just punt this season with Penn State getting extra year for Rasheed and Cassar, and Iowa being as loaded as they are?? I know Tom Ryan doesn't operate in that fashion, but it's an interesting thought exercise. Of course, I'm also going to provide a "con" argument right here, and it relates to possibly needing to clear out money to make the roster work.

Should Ohio State just punt this season with Penn State getting extra year for Rasheed and Cassar, and Iowa being as loaded as they are?? I know Tom Ryan doesn't operate in that fashion, but it's an interesting thought exercise. Of course, I'm also going to provide a "con" argument right here, and it relates to possibly needing to clear out money to make the roster work.

There's a dark cloud hanging over every roster discussion named Olympic Redshirts. I can make a dang good roster of guys that could Olympic redshirt next year:

125- Spencer Lee
133- Daton Fix
141- Yianni D
149- Matt Kolodzik
157- Ryan Deakin
165- Mekhi Lewis
174- Mark Hall
184- Zahid Valencia
197- Kollin Moore
285- Gable Steveson

If Mark Hall Olympic redshirts, Penn St is a little more vulnerable. Same with Spencer Lee and Iowa, same with Daton and Okie St. If I'm Pletcher I think about it- Micic/Suriano will be gone. Kollin Moore can probably win an NCAA title next year, so that's a tougher decision. Kerkvliet already said he wanted to redshirt, might be a though to punt the year.

Punting? Don’t think it would happen as this past yr psu err P6U was a certain lock and they didn’t. As mentioned TR doesn’t seem to kick the can. Plus you got the shiny new toy opening up being the Jennings center. That said maybe you could punt because of that??? Don’t it happens tho.
Still a top 5 team punting or not. Is third the lowest placement for a team trophy?

Does capt kirk rs to get 2 yrs removed from gable?
Dude is ready to stand upper podium now.
If pletch rs would he go 41? What kind of cut is it for him and those oak trunks?
Moore rs wouldn’t make sense to me like it wouldn’t with Myles last yr as the favorite to win it at that weight. Is the Kyle colonel thing set to 6th yr it at P6U?