Top SWO Teams

It seems the picture at the top of the rankings in SW Ohio is not as clear as it has been in years past, at least not to me. Who do you see as legitimate contenders? For me, Loveland's the boss until they get beat (which very well may happen next Thursday), but I think there are 7 teams between Cincy and Dayton who have a legitimate chance of contending for the regional title in DI: Springboro, Beavercreek, Centerville, Fairfield, Loveland, MND, Mason. Maybe an argument to be made for Anderson or Sycamore, but I'm not convinced yet. Thoughts?

SWO definitely up for grabs this year, but I prefer it that way, keeps the post season exciting. Just in Cincinnati, Loveland still probably the most star studded but not getting it done against Milford, who lost a 3-0 contest to Mason, shows they aren't out front as wide as they used to be and I don't see them going all the way this year at all. Not reading much into Fairfield yet, they haven't been tested in a strong game other than the tie with the already mentioned weaker than past Loveland team so the latter part of their schedule will be telling. If I had to bet now I'd put Mason over Fairfield, I think they come in better prepared and with very good control of the game and impressive composure.

Agree Sycamore and Anderson have my ears perked and MND does look stronger than years past, they lost to Mason but I thought I heard the go ahead goal was a pk (yes, a goal is a goal but for the purposes of assessing team strength they are neither here nor there). They lost again to Simon Kention, not real sure how telling that is or not. But MND's seniors are on their 3rd head coach in as many years so hats off to them for staying the course through all that change, hope to see them cap it off with a deep post season run.

It seems the picture at the top of the rankings in SW Ohio is not as clear as it has been in years past, at least not to me. Who do you see as legitimate contenders? For me, Loveland's the boss until they get beat (which very well may happen next Thursday), but I think there are 7 teams between Cincy and Dayton who have a legitimate chance of contending for the regional title in DI: Springboro, Beavercreek, Centerville, Fairfield, Loveland, MND, Mason. Maybe an argument to be made for Anderson or Sycamore, but I'm not convinced yet. Thoughts?

If Loveland would put the right players on the field they would never had tied Milford, FF and Hilliard Bradley and would clearly be the top team again. HC still trying to play the type of game that won them the state, and refuses to acknowledge that this is a different team. Lots of skill and possession type players sitting on the bench while kick and run type players getting all the PT. Good coaches adjust their style to their players.

If Loveland would put the right players on the field they would never had tied Milford, FF and Hilliard Bradley and would clearly be the top team again. HC still trying to play the type of game that won them the state, and refuses to acknowledge that this is a different team. Lots of skill and possession type players sitting on the bench while kick and run type players getting all the PT. Good coaches adjust their style to their players.

I don’t think that’s an entirely fair criticism. I don’t disagree that there needs to be a tweak or two to the style of play, but the problem in those games was not personnel. There is maybe 1 girl on the bench who has a legitimate argument that she could start. The biggest problem right now is with attitude and ownership, if you ask me. Hopefully this stretch has been a wake up call.

Well I don't think this is the proper thread to debate who should be starting or not, and I don't think others care. But I can't let your statement about 1 girl who should possibly be starting go, you obviously don't know the talent that is sitting on that bench. There are easily 3 players who are more skilled who should be starting. If those players are on the field, Loveland wins all of those games.

Beavercreek

Beavercreek is the best team I've seen so far. They are better and faster than Loveland and better than Strongsville.

Centerville 2 - 1 Boro

Well played match by Cville. They have good fundamentals and decent players in all positions and play a similar style to Beavercreek. Beavercreek looks to have a very strong team but the Elks are not far behind. The end of season rivalry match will be a dozy for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Centerville 2 - 1 Boro

Well played match by Cville. They have good fundamentals and decent players in all positions and play a similar style to Beavercreek. Beavercreek looks to have a very strong team but the Elks are not far behind. The end of season rivalry match will be a dozy for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very physical match. Very impressed with Centerville's composure because Springboro was all over them early but Centerville responded well.

Coming up on the tournament draw - most teams with 2 or 3 games to go before seeds are voted on. If there’s a winner between Mason - Loveland on Saturday that team will probably be favored for the 1 seed out of Cincy. Fairfield sure to figure in too. Lot of questions still to be answered for all three teams

Not reading much into Fairfield yet, they haven't been tested in a strong game other than the tie with the already mentioned weaker than past Loveland team

When you wrote the above I probably would have agreed but Fairfield was tested this week against a good Sycamore team and came away with a 2-0 W.

MND does look stronger than years past...
Better than teams in the recent past?

Coming up on the tournament draw - most teams with 2 or 3 games to go before seeds are voted on. If there’s a winner between Mason - Loveland on Saturday that team will probably be favored for the 1 seed out of Cincy. Fairfield sure to figure in too. Lot of questions still to be answered for all three teams

What's your logic on this? I believe that the top seed will be (or should be) Fairfield. After that it will be between Mason & Loveland.

Fairfield is 9-0-1. The draw, as you know, is against Loveland. Provided that the Indians win the rest of their games prior to the seeding, they should be #1. Their biggest test will be against Mason in their last game and after the seeds are done.

Loveland is 8-0-3. The biggest blemishes that I see on the Tigers' resume are the draws against Milford and a Bradley side that is having an off year. Milford is also not having a great year. Loveland can win the next game vs Mason and still should not get the nod over Fairfield.

Mason is 7-0-2. The Comets' draws are vs Ursuline & SUA. Both of those teams seem to be struggling this year.

Your sentence should read: "Fairfield should probably be favored for the 1 seed out of Cincy. Loveland & Mason sure to figure in too."

If Loveland wins vs Mason it should be 1. Fairfield 2. Loveland 3. Mason, MND, or Anderson

If Mason wins I see it as being 1. Fairfield 2. Mason 3. Loveland, MND, or Anderson

I didn't think that the DA would impact HS soccer all that much but as the season has progressed it is obvious that it has. There are a fair number of teams in SW Ohio that have been affected.

I would agree that the DA has taken alot of the "Super Stars" our of the HS platform. But it makes things a little more fun with so many even teams.

What's your logic on this? I believe that the top seed will be (or should be) Fairfield. After that it will be between Mason & Loveland.

Fairfield is 9-0-1. The draw, as you know, is against Loveland. Provided that the Indians win the rest of their games prior to the seeding, they should be #1. Their biggest test will be against Mason in their last game and after the seeds are done.

Loveland is 8-0-3. The biggest blemishes that I see on the Tigers' resume are the draws against Milford and a Bradley side that is having an off year. Milford is also not having a great year. Loveland can win the next game vs Mason and still should not get the nod over Fairfield.

Mason is 7-0-2. The Comets' draws are vs Ursuline & SUA. Both of those teams seem to be struggling this year.

Your sentence should read: "Fairfield should probably be favored for the 1 seed out of Cincy. Loveland & Mason sure to figure in too."

If Loveland wins vs Mason it should be 1. Fairfield 2. Loveland 3. Mason, MND, or Anderson

If Mason wins I see it as being 1. Fairfield 2. Mason 3. Loveland, MND, or Anderson

I didn't think that the DA would impact HS soccer all that much but as the season has progressed it is obvious that it has. There are a fair number of teams in SW Ohio that have been affected.

I will preface this by saying that it would not be outrageous for any of these three teams to get the 1 seed in Cincy. All three could make a compelling case. That being said, I guess it comes down to how you evaluate each team and its body of work. I think the coaches pay more attention to quality wins than they do tying a team you probably shouldn't have tied. In other words, a win against a top 3 opponent will help more than a tie against a mediocre team will hurt. That's the way it should be, IMO.

Fairfield's best win is probably Sycamore. Loveland has wins over Sycamore and a very good Anderson team. Mason's win over MND is probably their best result. Assuming Mason beats Sycamore tonight, they will have another quality win. Whichever team wins on Saturday will have the strongest win in Cincinnati to date, and with that win will have a stronger resume than Fairfield's. And I disagree that the FF-Loveland tie goes against Loveland and not FF. It was on FF's home turf, and if you wanna be the man you gotta beat the man. At least that's how I see it. Thus, I'd see the two scenarios playing out this way:

If Mason wins tonight and Saturday:
1. Mason (wins over #1 Loveland, #4 MND, #6 Sycamore, #8 Oak Hills, (KY) Notre Dame; ties with unranked SUA and Ursuline)
2. Fairfield (wins over #6 Sycamore, #7 Mercy McAuley, #8 Oak Hills (assumed); tie with #1 Loveland)
3. Loveland (wins over #5 Anderson, #6 Sycamore, (KY) W. Jessamine; ties with unranked Milford and Hilliard Bradley; Loss to #3 Mason)

If Loveland wins Saturday:
1. Loveland (wins over #3 Mason, #5 Anderson, #6 Sycamore, (KY) W. Jessamine; ties with unranked Milford and Hilliard Bradley)
2. Fairfield (wins over #6 Sycamore, #7 Mercy McAuley, #8 Oak Hills (assumed); tie with #1 Loveland)
3. Mason (wins over #4 MND, #6 Sycamore, #8 Oak Hills, (KY) Notre Dame; ties with unranked SUA and Ursuline; loss to #1 Loveland)

If Mason and Loveland tie, things are a lot less clear. It would be some combination of FF, Loveland, Mason, MND, and Anderson to round out the top 5. For me, Fairfield has not shown enough to deserve the 1 seed as clearly as you suggest.Like I said, it wouldn't be crazy if they got it, but the only way I would think they warrant a #1 vote is if Mason and Loveland tie or one of them loses a game before the tourney draw.

I don't see Loveland tieing or losing to anyone else in the ECC.
Mason and Fairfield anything is possible in the GMC. One of these two could easily draw or lose a game to someone unexpected. Conference games are always grinders.

I will preface this by saying that it would not be outrageous for any of these three teams to get the 1 seed in Cincy. All three could make a compelling case. That being said, I guess it comes down to how you evaluate each team and its body of work. I think the coaches pay more attention to quality wins than they do tying a team you probably shouldn't have tied. In other words, a win against a top 3 opponent will help more than a tie against a mediocre team will hurt. That's the way it should be, IMO.

Fairfield's best win is probably Sycamore. Loveland has wins over Sycamore and a very good Anderson team. Mason's win over MND is probably their best result. Assuming Mason beats Sycamore tonight, they will have another quality win. Whichever team wins on Saturday will have the strongest win in Cincinnati to date, and with that win will have a stronger resume than Fairfield's. And I disagree that the FF-Loveland tie goes against Loveland and not FF. It was on FF's home turf, and if you wanna be the man you gotta beat the man. At least that's how I see it. Thus, I'd see the two scenarios playing out this way:

If Mason wins tonight and Saturday:
1. Mason (wins over #1 Loveland, #4 MND, #6 Sycamore, #8 Oak Hills, (KY) Notre Dame; ties with unranked SUA and Ursuline)
3. Loveland (wins over #5 Anderson, #6 Sycamore, (KY) W. Jessamine; ties with unranked Milford and Hilliard Bradley; Loss to #3 Mason)

If Loveland wins Saturday:
1. Loveland (wins over #3 Mason, #5 Anderson, #6 Sycamore, (KY) W. Jessamine; ties with unranked Milford and Hilliard Bradley)
3. Mason (wins over #4 MND, #6 Sycamore, #8 Oak Hills, (KY) Notre Dame; ties with unranked SUA and Ursuline; loss to #1 Loveland)

If Mason and Loveland tie, things are a lot less clear. It would be some combination of FF, Loveland, Mason, MND, and Anderson to round out the top 5. For me, Fairfield has not shown enough to deserve the 1 seed as clearly as you suggest.Like I said, it wouldn't be crazy if they got it, but the only way I would think they warrant a #1 vote is if Mason and Loveland tie or one of them loses a game before the tourney draw.

If FF doesn't lose their best player they are clearly #1

The thing is, every team has an off day. I think coaches should look at the overall body of work and how consistent the team is with their wins. Teams that don't play a tough schedule should be penalized since any team can get up for a big game, but the teams that have 5 quality wins out of 8 games should be rewarded.

From the teams I have seen this year and the quality of the play (not just the results), which is realize is VERY subjective, the top 5 should be:

1. Mason
2. Fairfield
3. MND
4. Loveland
5. Anderson

Interesting couple of evenings. Deer Park and Madeira tie, McMercy over MND 4-0, Princeton over Hamilton 2-1, FF and Oak Hills tie. Should make an for some interesting seeding meetings.

If FF doesn't lose their best player they are clearly #1

. . .

From the teams I have seen this year and the quality of the play (not just the results), which is realize is VERY subjective, the top 5 should be:

1. Mason
2. Fairfield
3. MND
4. Loveland
5. Anderson

I'm not sure how clear it is, but you can make the argument for FF - less than 5 minutes away from a loss and they pulled out a result. Hurts them more than it helps them, but something to be said for fighting for results even when you don't play well. Also, MND's loss hurts them. Interested to see if this list changes if Loveland wins Saturday. It has to, right?

I'm not sure how clear it is, but you can make the argument for FF - less than 5 minutes away from a loss and they pulled out a result. Hurts them more than it helps them, but something to be said for fighting for results even when you don't play well. Also, MND's loss hurts them. Interested to see if this list changes if Loveland wins Saturday. It has to, right?

Yea, shows what I know. That MND loss certainly changes things. Yes, I think if Loveland beats Mason this list changes, but I will go out on a limb and say that this is not going to happen. Mason is playing well and they have a big revenge factor going after the 5-0 loss from last year. I predict a 2-0 Mason win.

The last week probably clarified things a bit with Loveland beating Mason and Fairfield drawing, 1-1, with Oak Hills at home. Loveland did what they had to do.

Does anyone know what is going on at Lakota East? They're 5-5-2 and 2-3 in the GMC. There's a 4-0 loss to Mason, a 4-1 loss to Sacred Heart Academy, and a 2-1 loss to Hamilton. I can't remember the last time they lost to Hamilton. The team seemed to start with some promise but hasn't done much since. East usually has a good number of CUP (pre-DA or whatever it's called these days), OE, and Warren County kids. Did they lose a lot to the DA?

The last week probably clarified things a bit with Loveland beating Mason and Fairfield drawing, 1-1, with Oak Hills at home. Loveland did what they had to do.

Does anyone know what is going on at Lakota East? They're 5-5-2 and 2-3 in the GMC. There's a 4-0 loss to Mason, a 4-1 loss to Sacred Heart Academy, and a 2-1 loss to Hamilton. I can't remember the last time they lost to Hamilton. The team seemed to start with some promise but hasn't done much since. East usually has a good number of CUP (pre-DA or whatever it's called these days), OE, and Warren County kids. Did they lose a lot to the DA?

Full transparency I am a East parent and may have a little bias. We started the season fine, but it seems like we have lost a lot of confidence. The team is full of club players, but if you watch us we do not play like a club team. We have a very low IQ and lack of ability to pass the ball. There is a lot of over dribbling and we lose the ball a lot in our half. We have a couple D1 commits that are seniors that have had a down year. The junior class isn’t that deep with talent. The sophomore class is very deep with talent, but hasn’t matured enough to take the next step as of yet. The freshman class probably has the most talent, but they are all on JV and aren’t given the opportunity to help varsity.

The Coaching staff seems to be really good from what I can tell. My kid is on the JV team and we are doing really good and we seem to play with more poise than varsity does. This is my first year watching high school soccer and I have to admit from what I heard coming in I expected more from Varsity.

Is this typical of the way high school soccer is everywhere else? Do high school players dribble like this and lose the ball constantly?

Here’s what Enquirer poll has for Cincinnati this week. Would expect the tournament seeds to be pretty close if not identical to this, barring any unexpected results before Saturday.

1. Loveland
2. Fairfield
3. Mason
4. Anderson
5. Mercy McAuley
6. MND
7. Sycamore
8. Oak Hills
9. Lakota West
10. Milford

I know that this post has centered around D1 talk in SWO, but Summit just won at Indian Hill tonight 2-1. D2 in SW Ohio should be REALLY tough come tournament time. Looking forward to it!

Here’s what Enquirer poll has for Cincinnati this week. Would expect the tournament seeds to be pretty close if not identical to this, barring any unexpected results before Saturday.

1. Loveland
2. Fairfield
3. Mason
4. Anderson
5. Mercy McAuley
6. MND
7. Sycamore
8. Oak Hills
9. Lakota West
10. Milford

Sycamore and MND are actually switched. I think some things can change before Sundays seed meeting. Some key games tonight and this week:

Oak Hills at Sycamore. Fairfield at West (grass). St. Ursula at MND. Mercy-McAuley at Turpin. Lakota East at Fairfield.

Teams can certainly move up or down this week?

Sycamore and MND are actually switched. I think some things can change before Sundays seed meeting. Some key games tonight and this week:

Oak Hills at Sycamore. Fairfield at West (grass). St. Ursula at MND. Mercy-McAuley at Turpin. Lakota East at Fairfield.

Definitely. If those games go as expected, I don't see much movement, but an upset or two would certainly shake things up.

I don't think I'd say its a given that Sycamore and MND are switched. Its already pretty tight putting MM in at 5 and MND right (they are each each others conference loss, with MM also notching a league tie MND doesn't have, MND controls their own destiny for their conference) but I guess overall records justifies the slight bump with MND at 10-3 (According to MaxPreps MND won their last game it just wasn't reported) and MM at 10-2-1. Sure Sycamore plays the top 3 teams to MND's 2 of 3 top teams, but they also haven't delivered convincingly against common opponents to say they definitively should be ahead (Sycamore tied a scoreless game to UA and MND beat them twice and notched 4 on them, they both lost to Mason but Sycamore was shut out). I could see by regular season end Sycamore having worked their way up over MND and/or MM but I don't think they are actually switched as of right now.
I would think Saturday certainly will have a big impact on Sunday's seeding, with MM hosting Sycamore and Loveland hosting MND.