Top five players from your school

Would be curious to see some GCL-S all-time teams - Moeller, Elder, Lasalle, St. X........and some other Cincinnati-area teams such as Woodward, Mt. Healthy, Greenhills/Forest Park/Winton Woods...

Would be curious to see some GCL-S all-time teams - Moeller, Elder, Lasalle, St. X........and some other Cincinnati-area teams such as Woodward, Mt. Healthy, Greenhills/Forest Park/Winton Woods...
For Moeller- Brannen, Monserez, Sylvester, Duncan, Hayes? That's a pretty solid top 5 regardless of position.

JJ Lucas vastly underrated Middletown career. Originally committed to OSU then went to Vanderbilt but only played about 1 year. Off court issues but his game did resemble his Dad's. Hope he is well.

Ended up playing out his college career at an NAIA school in Hawaii. Very successful, pretty sure he either played in or won a national championship there. Now doing some evangelical work and singing gospel music music down in Georgia.

Barberton
Carter Scott
Alvin Robertson
Mark Bodnar
Marty Bodnar
Adrian Crawford
It's easy to focus on the high school careers of the Bodnars and Carter Scott, but Alvin Robertson was a great, great player. His high school career may not have been as storied as the triplets, but he was a star at Arkansas and in the NBA with the San Antonio Spurs. It's amazing he doesn't get more mention as one of the best players to come out of Ohio.

Last edited:
Springfield
Jody Finney-osu
John Carson- UC
ajamu gaines- charleston
Fred Foster-miami ohio
Fred Carson- Texas
Randy Ayers- miami ohio
Fred Foster set a Miami record (which I believe still stands) averaging 26.9 ppg in 1967-68. He had a solid 10-year pro career starting with the old Cincinnati Royals. He was drafted by the Royals and by the Kentucky Colonels of the old ABA. He even played on some BAD Cavs teams towards the end of his career! I even have an old trading card of him with the Royals stashed away somewhere.

Last edited:
Jimmy Jackson OSU, NBA
4 people you've never heard of.
Kelvin Ransey (ok, might have heard of him) OSU, NBA
Wardell Jackson OSU
Cal Christenson UToledo, NBA WAY long ago
Bunk Adams Ohio U
Cal Christensen was taken in the 5th round of the 1950 NBA draft by the Tri-Cities Blackhawks! He played in the league for 5 years with them, the Milwaukee Hawks and the Rochester Royals!

Hamilton HS
Kevin Grevey-UK-NBA Bullets
Greg Stokes-Iowa-76ers
Chris Kingsbury-Iowa
Bryan Grevey- South Carolina
Payton Townsend-SW Louisiana
Mike & Willie Townsend-ND-NFL
Scott Grevey-Pitt
Kevin Grevey had quite a career. He starred at Kentucky where, despite his game high 34 points, his team lost to UCLA in the '75 NCAA title game in what was John Wooden's last game as coach. Then he went on to an excellent NBA career where he was a member of the Washington Bullets 19877-78 championship team along with Wes Unseld, Elvin Hayes, Phil Chenier and Bobby Dandridge.

Cambridge

1993 - Geno Ford, 2681 pts - Ohio University, current HC at Stony Brook, prevous HC at Kent State, Bradley, Shawnee State, Muskingum College
2003 - Brandon Todd, 1447 pts - Muskingum College, 5'5" Dunker
1918 - John "Zip" Behen, 1392 pts - West Virginia University, Once scored 68 pts in HS game
1983 - Terry "Strawberry" White, 1327 pts - Played football at Ohio State/West Virginia, Kansas City Chiefs/Houston Oilers
1978 - Pete Abuls, 1091 pts - Tennessee Tech (1187 pts, 4 year Letterman, 3 year Captain)
I had to look this up!

"John "Zip" Behen graduated from Cambridge High in 1918. Behen still holds several scoring records including most points scored in a game. Behen was likely the first-ever 1,000 point scorer in Ohio high school basketball history. That came directly from the OHSAA. There is no record of a 1,000 point-scorer in Ohio prior to Behen."

In 2017, he was inducted into what I presume was the Cambridge Bobcats initial Hall of Fame class along with the likes of Bob "Lefty" Henderson and Tom "Tank" Moore! Pretty cool!

Yankeefan33 said:
For Moeller- Brannen, Monserez, Sylvester, Duncan, Hayes? That's a pretty solid top 5 regardless of position.
I'm sure this is a great team, but I'm not familiar with anyone other than Hayes. Who are they and where did they go after HS?

Credit Moeller, at least in the more modern era. No doubt athletes at every position and deep onto the bench but smart, balanced, teamword has gotten them their success. Not seemingly the recruiting battle (or luck of the draw) for the next all-world basketball star. Same football. They have a high average. Difficult to find holes to exploit in the line-up. Mentor similarly. These can be really fun teams to watch year after year.

Would be curious to see ... Greenhills/Forest Park/Winton Woods...

Here are a few off top of my head ... many more great players so feel free to add more.

Greenhills HS:

Joe Fredrick Captain at Notre Dame late 80's. All time leading scorer at GHS when graduated 1986
Chuck Fredrick Little brother Joe broke all his records
Dan Weiss I think he lead Cincinnati area in scoring at least once but maybe JR & SR year? 81 and 82 maybe?
Andre Williams Great point guard......went to Robert Morris
John Curtis Ohio AA player of the year 1987 I think?

Forest Park HS:

Alex Davis Could do it all and nice career at Ohio State
Reggie Nettles Held almost all school records ...early 80's

Winton Woods:

Robert Hite Miami (FL)
Deforest Riley Penn State was it?
CJ Anderson Xavier
Semaj Christon Xavier ... is he still playing pro ball overseas?

Please add others as best I can do on the fly lol ..... there are some great ones I left off.

I'm sure this is a great team, but I'm not familiar with anyone other than Hayes. Who are they and where did they go after HS?
Bobby Brannen was GCL POY three times (1992-1994) and went to UC. Monserez was GCL POY in 1999 and went to Butler. Sylvester was GCL POY in 2000 and 2001 and went to Ohio State. And Josh Duncan was GCL POY in 2003 and went to Xavier. The only one that wasnt POY was Hayes, and no offence to Haubner of LaSalle, but Jaxson and Jeremiah Davenport were the two best players in the GCL that year.

Fred Foster set a Miami record (which I believe still stands) averaging 26.9 ppg in 1967-68. He had a solid 10-year pro career starting with the old Cincinnati Royals. He was drafted by the Royals and by the Kentucky Colonels of the old ABA. He even played on some BAD Cavs teams towards the end of his career! I even have an old trading card of him with the Royals stashed away somewhere.
Craig Taylor/Ohio State
Elliott Fullen/Northwestern
Todd Jones/Miami
Frank Ayers/Western Michigan
Tony Hubbard/Xavier
Danny Davis/Wisconsin (football)
Elgrace Wilburn(Western Kentucky)
Pepper Bego(Davidson)
Nate Miller JR./Bowling Green
Ivan Harris/Ohio State

A couple Dayton area schools, that I remember some very good players during the era when I was in school. I don't know enough about them to fill out a starting 5. Maybe someone else can fill in some additional players for each school.

Vandalia Butler
John Goldsberry - Class of 2002. Went to UNC Wilmington. Set an NCAA tournament record going 8 for 8 on 3 pointers in a March Madness game.
Josh Higgins - Class of 2003. A 7 footer that went to Western Kentucky.
Seth Gorney - Class of 2004. A 7 footer that went to the University of Iowa.
*Yes, that's right... those Vandalia Butler teams had two 7-footers at the same time... it was crazy to watch.

Centerville
Ben Rhoda - Class of 2002. Went to East Tennessee State. Was Centerville's all time leading scorer. (Not sure if that still stands)
Chris Spears - Class of 2003. Went to University of Dayton.
Matt Kavanaugh - Class of 2009. Went to the University of Dayton.

Mt. Healthy late 70's to mid 80's under head coach Jake Grunkemeyer:

Billy Lewis--Kansas St /Miami OH
Brady Jackson--Northern Kentucky
John Marx--Kansas St /Miami OH
Adair Carmichael--current head coach at Mt. Healthy
Darren Davenport--Alcorn St
Ron Benford
Jeff Scott--Cincinnati (Final 4 at UC)
Dale Bryant
Maurice Lamar

Mt. Healthy late 70's to mid 80's under head coach Jake Grunkemeyer:

Billy Lewis--Kansas St /Miami OH
Brady Jackson--Northern Kentucky
John Marx--Kansas St /Miami OH
Adair Carmichael--current head coach at Mt. Healthy
Darren Davenport--Alcorn St
Ron Benford
Jeff Scott--Cincinnati (Final 4 at UC)
Dale Bryant
Maurice Lamar

Have to find room for Bryan Ross (6'11/class of '86/Northwestern U), I'd imagine.

Vandalia Butler
John Goldsberry - Class of 2002. Went to UNC Wilmington. Set an NCAA tournament record going 8 for 8 on 3 pointers in a March Madness game.
Josh Higgins - Class of 2003. A 7 footer that went to Western Kentucky.
Seth Gorney - Class of 2004. A 7 footer that went to the University of Iowa.
*Yes, that's right... those Vandalia Butler teams had two 7-footers at the same time... it was crazy to watch.

What kind of records/accomplishments did VB have with that run of talent from 2001-2004?

What kind of records/accomplishments did VB have with that run of talent from 2001-2004?
I can't tell you their records and I don't think they had a bunch of tournament success. I remember watching those guys play one year at UD and they got upset by Wayne pretty early in the tournament. I wasn't talking about team success as much as just saying that those 3 were very good players. Sure, you could argue that the 2 players were only good because of their size, but regardless they were 7 foot tall. Which is pretty crazy at the high school level.

high school basketball in the Dayton metro area was so strong back in the early 2000’s than it is right now (the #1 seed in this area was Centerville at 11-11, pathetic). I was actually at the Centerville-Vandalia Butler game ‘live’ in 2002 in a packed standing room only Centerville gym...the Elks, led by Dayton area player of the year and all state player, Ben Rhoda and future UD signee, Chris Spears best VB in overtime thriller. it was amazing to see a high school team with 2 seven footers in their starting lineup, but their best player was actually their guard, Goldsberry...Centerville had their best all time team with their tallest player being only 6’5”’s...went on to the regional finals in the state tournament losing to eventual state champ Brookhaven (who some people rated as one of Ohio’s best all time teams)...

My knowledge of Princeton basketball begins around that time, too. Princeton doesn't seem to talk about its deep basketball legends as much as they do football. I don't know of any guys earlier than Erik Daniels that played in college.
Dwayne Hunter , Todd Savoda , they also had a kid transfer in from Indianapolis who went and started at Arizona for 4 years , late 80s early 90s . Had a lot of talent in 80 just didn’t have any coaching

No Tom Pritchard? Started at Indiana as a Freshmen and was significantly more productive in High School and College than Roe.

I would take Steve Lepore over Hamilton.

Also, Jawad Williams was the most talented player to ever walk the halls at St. Edward, no debate. Clancy was the most productive/dominate. and Kipper Nichols or Steve Logan were the best X factor/finisher. Those 4 HAVE to be in your top 5. Who you want to pick for the 5th spot between Walczuk, Lepore, Pritchard, Roe, Hamilton, or Dobbs is a matter of opinion.
I saw Walczuk play at both Glimour and Ed’s. John Wooden rarely recruited outside of California. High praise indeed to get his attention from the Midwest.

Played Lima Senior during that timeframe, and we ran them out of the gym. Won by like 30ish. Problem was with those big guys, they weren't very mobile and our press and fast break just killed them. Have to hit up my boy Ludwig for the official numbers. I'll get back to you on that!

I saw Walczuk play at both Glimour and Ed’s. John Wooden rarely recruited outside of California. High praise indeed to get his attention from the Midwest.

This is where the misfortune of this season looms large. It is pretty reasonable to project that this year's winningest team in St. Ed's history at the very least reaches the Final Four with a great shot at the championship game. Another Final Four for Grant Huffman as a four year starter at the very least puts him in the conversation of Top Five Players based on time at the school alone. And along with that Devontae Blanton would get honorable mention.

I think I would go: Steve Logan, Grant Huffman, Delvon Roe, Tom Pritchard and Sam Clancy. If I need a clutch shot, I'm sending in Marsalis Hamilton of course. Best overall player at the school and beyond would be Jawad Williams.

Dwayne Hunter , Todd Savoda , they also had a kid transfer in from Indianapolis who went and started at Arizona for 4 years , late 80s early 90s . Had a lot of talent in 80 just didn’t have any coaching

Had to look up the Arizona guy. Some sleuthing brought me to Casey Schmidt who played at Princeton in the 80s, two years at Arizona where he didn't do much, then a transfer to Valparaiso where he had a bigger scoring impact

Had to look up the Arizona guy. Some sleuthing brought me to Casey Schmidt who played at Princeton in the 80s, two years at Arizona where he didn't do much, then a transfer to Valparaiso where he had a bigger scoring impact
Daweshi Hunter just got 3 D-1 offers this past week, Wright st , Drake , Cleveland st , that year of prep school looked to help a lot . Casey family was from that area of Indiana so not surprising he transfer back , I do believe his Freshman year he started until a injury but can’t remember

Here are a few off top of my head ... many more great players so feel free to add more.

Greenhills HS:

Joe Fredrick Captain at Notre Dame late 80's. All time leading scorer at GHS when graduated 1986
Chuck Fredrick Little brother Joe broke all his records
Dan Weiss I think he lead Cincinnati area in scoring at least once but maybe JR & SR year? 81 and 82 maybe?
Andre Williams Great point guard......went to Robert Morris
John Curtis Ohio AA player of the year 1987 I think?

Forest Park HS:

Alex Davis Could do it all and nice career at Ohio State
Reggie Nettles Held almost all school records ...early 80's

Winton Woods:

Robert Hite Miami (FL)
Deforest Riley Penn State was it?
CJ Anderson Xavier
Semaj Christon Xavier ... is he still playing pro ball overseas?

Please add others as best I can do on the fly lol ..... there are some great ones I left off.
Joe Fredrick is also famous (infamous) at Notre Dame for his part in the "Catholics vs. Convicts" tee-shirt caper!

https://www.onefootdown.com/2019/12...rick-catholic-vs-convict-football-irish-miami

Will throw some names out for ya from few GCL South Schools. Elder-Steve Grote, Dan Federman,Chad Kamstra,Kyle Rudolph and Rick Apke. LaSalle- Dick Haucke, Dave Esterkamp, Justin Orr. X-Mike Marshall, Andy Larkin, Cornette (?) brothers, Brad Loesing(?).

Woodward- Boston, Jones, Flint. Withrow- Hill, Hunter and some others though I can’t remember the names. These are just guys who I saw or heard a lot about. I believe they all played College Basketball besides Kyle Rudolph (NFL). Sure there are plenty I’m forgetting or never saw or really heard about since I’m not that old. Some great names on this entire thread!