Top five players from your school

I would put them up against the 1970-2000s St. Henry D3-D4 teams. One of the most impressive teams I saw in the early 1990s in any division when they won back to back state championships in 1990 and 1991 while also football champs in 1990. Here's the list from this time period and feel free to add if I missed somebody:

Jim Lachey (OSU OT/OG and played for Washington Redskins)
Bobby Hoying (OSU QB and played for the Philadelphia Eagles)
Scott Brunswick (Toledo WR and played briefly for the Dallas Cowboys)
Jeff Hartings (Center for Penn State and long time Pittsburgh Steelers player)
Kevin Niekamp (OSU TE)
Todd Boeckman (OSU QB)
Kurt Huelsman (Center for Dayton basketball)
Ryan Mikesell (Dayton basketball)

Impressive for a town of just around 2500 people and play in the mighty MAC.
Nice list but if you're going to include Lachey, you should include the leader of that '79 state championship team (St Henry's 1st), Mike Post. Great player.
[/QUOTE]

That's why I added to add if I missed anyone. Thank you for pointing that out.

No offense but there's really no comparison. All those players Jefferson were in great at BASKETBALL in high school they specialized in BASKETBALL and with the exception of two people, played college BASKETBALL! And I forgot to add Terrell Mabry to the bench another first team All-state player.

I mean there is a comparison. Hoying, Huelsman, Mikesell, Brunswick, and Boeckman were all basketball All-Ohio players. Heck, Hoying still has the most dunks in a season record with over 50. I think it would be a great game.
[/QUOTE]

Player for player, talent wise there's no comparison(Jefferson)
Skill wise as BASKETBALL ONLY players there's no comparison(Jefferson)
Depth wise there's no comparison(Jefferson)
Accolades as BASKETBALL ONLY players based on the number of players there's no comparison they were all All-state players(Jefferson)
Gay,Payne.Holland, and Jackson were nominated for McDonald's All-American no comparison(Jefferson)
Competition wise no comparison(Jefferson)
Historically, Jefferson dominates, no comparison
NEPOTISTICALLY, St, Henry dominates, no comparison

I mean there is a comparison. Hoying, Huelsman, Mikesell, Brunswick, and Boeckman were all basketball All-Ohio players. Heck, Hoying still has the most dunks in a season record with over 50. I think it would be a great game.

Accolades as BASKETBALL ONLY players based on the number of players there's no comparison they were all All-state players(Jefferson)
Gay,Payne.Holland, and Jackson were nominated for McDonald's All-American no comparison(Jefferson)
[/QUOTE]

We can agree to disagree on some of those points and that is what forums like these are for. From 1961-1999 St Henry was coached by Fran Guilbalt who is a OHSAA 2013 inductee (613-207 career record, 3 state championships, and 35/38 of his seasons were winning seasons) so not sure you can say no comparison for basketball skill and fundamental wise for the majority of those years. Historically, Jefferson does not dominate and St. Henry plays in a better conference historically (MAC vs. Metro Buckeye Conference for Jefferson from 98-09 and back again in 2017 till now. Cannot find conference for Jefferson before 1998).

Worthington Christian:
Sam Smith 2000
Kevin Weakley 1995
Brian Hecker 2009
Chris Beals 2006
Jason Weakley 2000

We can agree to disagree on some of those points and that is what forums like these are for. From 1961-1999 St Henry was coached by Fran Guilbalt who is a OHSAA 2013 inductee (613-207 career record, 3 state championships, and 35/38 of his seasons were winning seasons) so not sure you can say no comparison for basketball skill and fundamental wise for the majority of those years. Historically, Jefferson does not dominate and St. Henry plays in a better conference historically (MAC vs. Metro Buckeye Conference for Jefferson from 98-09 and back again in 2017 till now. Cannot find conference for Jefferson before 1998).
[/QUOTE]

I'm gonna stop right here, I'm not going to agree to disagree with you. Clearly, you have small town syndrome and that's ok and I completely understand my wife works in Versailles and had a house there for years so I get the rural mentality however, you also don't clearly comprehend the term "All-time" versus "era in time". And didn't want to read my whole post evidently(your option) with the quote "Cannot find conference for Jefferson before 1998."

BTW, Guibalt obviously was a great coach, but I want you to look up Ben Waterman whom won state championships at 2 schools and was a collegiate coach for years after he left high school. One of Ohio's all-time winningest coaches and a HOF'er as well.
Also look up Art Winston- won 2 state championships at Jefferson 98', 02'.

I'm gonna stop right here, I'm not going to agree to disagree with you. Clearly, you have small town syndrome and that's ok and I completely understand my wife works in Versailles and had a house there for years so I get the rural mentality however, you also don't clearly comprehend the term "All-time" versus "era in time". And didn't want to read my whole post evidently(your option) with the quote "Cannot find conference for Jefferson before 1998."

BTW, Guibalt obviously was a great coach, but I want you to look up Ben Waterman whom won state championships at 2 schools and was a collegiate coach for years after he left high school. One of Ohio's all-time winningest coaches and a HOF'er as well.
Also look up Art Winston- won 2 state championships at Jefferson 98', 02'.

[/QUOTE]

I did read your post and have seen a lot of basketball over the last 20 plus years and have lived in a couple big cities during that time so not only in small-towns but yes I am from a small town. There can obviously be really good basketball players from small towns and not just from big cities that for some reason you think only good players are from big cities. I have posted players from all eras who can be considered the best of all time at St Henry HS so I'm not using just era in time. Also, I apologize for not seeing the Independent in one of your previous posts. Again, love arguing Ohio basketball because it is a testament we can present many, many teams and have fun arguing potential matchups. No harm in sticking to your guns.

I may have missed someone posting this earlier. But what about Dayton Dunbar? They have a list of high level college and NBA players...

Mark Baker - Ohio State, Charlotte Hornets, CBA
Cornelius Cash - Bowling Green, drafted by the NBA and ABA in 1975
Norris Cole - Cleveland State, played for the Heat and Pelicans, even has 2 NBA Titles
Daequan Cook - Ohio State, 1st round NBA pick, played for Heat, Thunder, Rockets, Bulls
Geron Johnson - Memphis, Rockets - D League
Jerry McKee - Ohio U, Drafted in NBA and ABA. Baltimore Bullets, Indiana Pacers

They have had other good players recently like AJ Harris, who went to Ohio State and then transferred to New Mexico State. He's currently a Senior there.

Cambridge

1993 - Geno Ford, 2681 pts - Ohio University, current HC at Stony Brook, prevous HC at Kent State, Bradley, Shawnee State, Muskingum College
2003 - Brandon Todd, 1447 pts - Muskingum College, 5'5" Dunker
1918 - John "Zip" Behen, 1392 pts - West Virginia University, Once scored 68 pts in HS game
1983 - Terry "Strawberry" White, 1327 pts - Played football at Ohio State/West Virginia, Kansas City Chiefs/Houston Oilers
1978 - Pete Abuls, 1091 pts - Tennessee Tech (1187 pts, 4 year Letterman, 3 year Captain)

No offense but there's really no comparison. All those players Jefferson were in great at BASKETBALL in high school they specialized in BASKETBALL and with the exception of two people, played college BASKETBALL! And I forgot to add Terrell Mabry to the bench another first team All-state player.

[/QUOTE]

Completely agree. Those St Henry guys all excelled on the basketball court.

St. Henry Teams of 90 and 91 would have competed with any HS Championship Teams whatever level and won more than their share.

Thank you. So many people I talked to that watched those teams besides me say the same thing. Top 6 averaged 6’4 and over 200lbs and all were very good athletes.

Hard to imagine anyone bests Canton McKinley:

Gary Grant - Michigan All America Olympics; NBA
Nick Weatherspoon - Illinois All America; NBA
Phil Hubbard - Michigan All America; Olympics; NBA
Eric Snow - Michigan St.; NBA
Keith McLeod - Bowling Green; NBA

Off the bench:

Michael Hawkins - Xavier; NBA
Bryant Bowden - DePaul
Troy Taylor - Ohio St.
Ron Stokes - Ohio St.
Bill Robinson - Ohio St.
Raymar Morgan - Michigan St.
there are so many other really, really good players.

From 1973-2009 - 36 consecutive years - the Pups had at least one alum playing in the NBA. This is the greatest program in Ohio history.

“Off the bench” lol lol lol lol

Thank you. So many people I talked to that watched those teams besides me say the same thing. Top 6 averaged 6’4 and over 200lbs and all were very good athletes.

Did they have a high basketball IQ as well?

The last Dunbar team to win State was a team of men vs boys. I enjoyed watching them. There was no yelling or trash talking. They just took care of business. In the State championship they physically outmatched their opponent. The issue for Dunbar was the opponent had a very good big man and the rest of the the team could play. Dunbar pulled off the victory, but I am sure that that most of those State champs will never over look the small town team.

Did they have a high basketball IQ as well?

The last Dunbar team to win State was a team of men vs boys. I enjoyed watching them. There was no yelling or trash talking. They just took care of business. In the State championship they physically outmatched their opponent. The issue for Dunbar was the opponent had a very good big man and the rest of the the team could play. Dunbar pulled off the victory, but I am sure that that most of those State champs will never over look the small town team.
They were very high basketball IQ. I have enjoyed Dunbar playing too. Especially that Elida game in 2012. What a game and I would say Mathias and McAdams more than held their own against Dunbar.

Vike16, as a Princeton man you need to learn a little more about the history of Viking basketball. I know you weren't born yet but there were some really good players before 1998.

My knowledge of Princeton basketball begins around that time, too. Princeton doesn't seem to talk about its deep basketball legends as much as they do football. I don't know of any guys earlier than Erik Daniels that played in college.

As a guy without a dog in the fight, I’m going with Jefferson over St. Henry. It’s not a huge difference, but I think there is one there.

Middletown
Jerry Lucas- NCAA Champ, Olympic Gold Medalist, NBA Champ
Butch Carter
Cris Carter
Archie Aldridge
Vince Edwards

Bill Edwards Jr
Allen Roberts

Ignatius...

Dave Demko
Gary Roggenburk
Tim Vala
Matt Roggenburk
Shonn Miller (for success after HS)

Lots of good players in the last 25 years, but hard to point out a top 5.
I would add Brian Dowling to the list. Besides his incredible job as QB, he was the star of the Wildcats' city title win in 1965. He went to star as a freshman QB at Yale, but after that season was over he went out for the Yale freshman basketball team. He averaged 26+ points a game and set many records for freshman BB at Yale.

From Troy:

Brooks Hall/Dayton
Matt Terwilliger/Ohio State
Lannce Hargrove/Wisconsin Grteen Bay
Denny Dickensheets/Capital
Michael Hall/Idaho State
Shane Carter/Wisconsin (football)
Alex Carmona (Detroit Pistons/NBA Preseason)
Richard Steineman/Ashland

Adreian Payne{Michigan State}
Yuanta Holland(Dayton)
Rodell Guest{Colorado}
Juan Gay(Depaul}
Nate Craig{ Ohio}
Bench:
Rusty Jackson(Dayton)
Darryl Foster(scholly to Radford but played at Sinclair}
Cody Latimer{IU-Football}
Jervaughn Scales{Southern, was dominate at Jefferson before he transferred to Col, White his senior year).
Troy Gates{Evansville}
Marquis Brooks{Charleston)
Stephon Johnson
Corleone Lewis

SCC couldn't beat that. If any small schools,
[/QUOTE]
Yuante Hollnd grad from Dayton Christian

JJ Lucas vastly underrated Middletown career. Originally committed to OSU then went to Vanderbilt but only played about 1 year. Off court issues but his game did resemble his Dad's. Hope he is well.