Top five players from your school

Stow High School

David Jamerson (1st round draft pick in 1990 draft)
Kevin Kovach
David Walker
Geoff Byrne
Jake Steuer

Shane Conwell deserves mention for improving dramatically in college, scoring 26 ppg at Malone and playing overseas, scoring 40 ppg in France. Was invited to practice with the Cavs, too.

Also in the 60's Stow had a kid named Rutenburg, can't remember his 1st name, possibly Dan. Very good scorer.

No Tom Pritchard? Started at Indiana as a Freshmen and was significantly more productive in High School and College than Roe.

I would take Steve Lepore over Hamilton.

Also, Jawad Williams was the most talented player to ever walk the halls at St. Edward, no debate. Clancy was the most productive/dominate. and Kipper Nichols or Steve Logan were the best X factor/finisher. Those 4 HAVE to be in your top 5. Who you want to pick for the 5th spot between Walczuk, Lepore, Pritchard, Roe, Hamilton, or Dobbs is a matter of opinion.

I think Roe over Pritchard is an easy choice, and I love Tom Pritchard as a player. But Roe was a 4 year starter, and I believe Pritchard only started 2 years. For three years, Roe was better than Pritchard. Tom had a better senior year, but Roe was lost for the season almost immediately.

I remember one of the few games Roe played his Sr year being the Nationally televised game against Jrue Holiday/Campbell Hall, which the Eagles won in OT (we also lost Sterba in that game). Both Pritchard and Roe had tremendous games, but Roe was on another level athletically. He'd steal a pass and take it down the court for a dunk in about 5 strides. His knees were never the same after that.

Pritchard did start some his Freshman year at Indiana, during the dark age of IU basketball, but his PT went down from there and he never again averaged more than 5ppg. If you want to go by College careers, Matt Stainbrook had a better career than Roe or Pritchard.

I have Myles Hamilton over Lepore just because of his versatility and tenacity. He was a poor-man's Russel Westbrook in HS. He could guard 4 positions, and was the best rebounder on the team.

If there was a all time great tournament where you would have 5 starters and two bench players - who wins ?

As deep as the talent of McKinley is, if I had to choose a 7 player team, I may have to go with Central Hower. But that would be a great match up!

Stow High School

David Jamerson (1st round draft pick in 1990 draft)
Kevin Kovach
David Walker
Geoff Byrne
Jake Steuer

Shane Conwell deserves mention for improving dramatically in college, scoring 26 ppg at Malone and playing overseas, scoring 40 ppg in France. Was invited to practice with the Cavs, too.

Didn't Coach Close's older brother Don, a Stow grad, play at the University of Florida?

Some serious height inflation going on there. They pay you money? When did "Beyers" play? I don't recognize the name.

Gary Jackson was one of the better players during one of the better periods of NWO ball. I'd maybe swap out one of your PGs. Tough call Thames or McDonald but one of them has to go. If we could add in the players swiped by other schools.....

There were two Beyers boys that played at Waite. One graduated in 91' and was 6'9" and played at Montana State, the other graduated in 95' and was 6'4/6'5" and I believe played at Owens for a bit.

One was Josh the other was Jason.

Jackson can replace McDonald. I just had to give a shout out throwback to jordan's comeback.

After giving it some thought, this has to be the best D3/D4 all-time group in the Dayton area. Adding a few bench guys, especially if you counted a couple that finished at Springfield South, it's not even close. Isaiah Carson and James Cooper played at Central for a couple years. Carson played at St. Bonaventure and Miami (OH), and Cooper was the D3 national player of the year at Wooster. Add McCurdy and that group of eight would slaughter whatever any other school of similar size around here could offer.

I'm thinking Dayton Jefferson could put together a solid D3/D4 team. I'm not familiar enough with them to suggest a top 5, but they've had some very good talent.

Start with Adreian Payne (Michigan State/NBA)...

There were two Beyers boys that played at Waite. One graduated in 91' and was 6'9" and played at Montana State, the other graduated in 95' and was 6'4/6'5" and I believe played at Owens for a bit.

One was Josh the other was Jason.

Jackson can replace McDonald. I just had to give a shout out throwback to jordan's comeback.

also known as waitesg1. Lots of aliases that one. Mason St boy as I recall, a block from the motherland.

I think it was Jason then. The clips I found had him playing early 90s. If there is one Waite player I'd take on an all-city all-time, it would be Thames. A 5'9 guy that can lead his DI college team in scoring, assists and rbs, needs a place at that table.

I agree. Craig was dynamite and was also a phenomenal tennis player. He is still to this day extremely unassuming and humble.

Princeton Vikings

Erik Daniels 6'7 - Kentucky/ NBA
Jordan Sibert 6'2 - Ohio State/ Dayton
Mark Dorris 6'2 - Marshall
Orlando Williams 6'5 - Miami Ohio
Vince Harrison 6'1 - Kentucky Baseball

Bench

Ross Morin 6'7
Robert Walker 6'5
Curtis Cross 6'1 - Best shooter
Darweshi Hunter 6'3
Darius Bazley 6'8 - Committed to Ohio State

Darrion Henry 6'6 - Will make the list by senior year

Dayton Jefferson:

Adriene Payne/Michigan State
Nathan Craig
Juan Gay/ 30 ppg 1992
Marquis Brooks
Rodell Guest/Colorado

More from Trotwood-Madison:

1969 Mike Williams/Kentucky Wesleyan/ABA
1974 Norvain Morgan/Bowling Green
1976 Wendell "Wings" Allen/Portland State
1983 Dwight Sistrunk/Iowa (football)
2009 Aaron Robinson/Findlay
1997 John Lumpkin/Ohio State
2013 Jamar Hammonds
1977 Reggie Talley/Colorado State

2013 Jamar Hammonds

Good stuff. How did I forget Lumpkin?? Like a lot of teams Trotwood has had tons of talent over the year. That just shows you how tough it is to make it to Columbus let alone win the whole thing. Kudos to those teams that have been to state for several years!

Solon Comets

Mark Minor - '69 (IIRC); Ohio State, Boston Celtics
Gary Korkowski - '75; Penn State
Milan Belich - '82; Clemson
Drew Carter - '99; Ohio State (football)
Dallas Lauderdale - '07; Ohio State

Current junior Sincere Carry has a chance to join this five by the time he graduates.

Last edited:
As deep as the talent of McKinley is, if I had to choose a 7 player team, I may have to go with Central Hower. But that would be a great match up!

I agree, Akron Central has a fantastic group, the best ! But my oh my Canton McKinley is absolutely awesome. What a history.

Dayton Jefferson:

Adriene Payne/Michigan State
Nathan Craig
Juan Gay/ 30 ppg 1992
Marquis Brooks
Rodell Guest/Colorado

Decent but I would not put Brooks over Rusty Jackson(77' all-state, Dayton, star of JT's first state champion team), Cody Latimer(10'?,football Indiana, allstate hoops) Yuanta Holland(97',allstate finished at DC) and Brooks did not go to Jefferson until his senior year. Add Jervaughn Scales(91',finished at Colonel White) and Corleone Lewis(98',first team allstate and MVP of state championship in 98') those guys are all ahead of Marquis Brooks.

2013 Jamar Hammonds

Jamie Skelton senior 1971

Princeton Vikings

Erik Daniels 6'7 - Kentucky/ NBA
Jordan Sibert 6'2 - Ohio State/ Dayton
Mark Dorris 6'2 - Marshall
Orlando Williams 6'5 - Miami Ohio
Vince Harrison 6'1 - Kentucky Baseball

Bench

Ross Morin 6'7
Robert Walker 6'5
Curtis Cross 6'1 - Best shooter
Darweshi Hunter 6'3
Darius Bazley 6'8 - Committed to Ohio State

Darrion Henry 6'6 - Will make the list by senior year

Vike16, as a Princeton man you need to learn a little more about the history of Viking basketball. I know you weren't born yet but there were some really good players before 1998.

Vike16, as a Princeton man you need to learn a little more about the history of Viking basketball. I know you weren't born yet but there were some really good players before 1998.

Please enlighten me who would make the list. These are just guys I seen during my time that made it past the high school level

After giving it some thought, this has to be the best D3/D4 all-time group in the Dayton area. Adding a few bench guys, especially if you counted a couple that finished at Springfield South, it's not even close. Isaiah Carson and James Cooper played at Central for a couple years. Carson played at St. Bonaventure and Miami (OH), and Cooper was the D3 national player of the year at Wooster. Add McCurdy and that group of eight would slaughter whatever any other school of similar size around here could offer.

Tryvan Leech, who played at d2 Glenville State did also. Tryvan scored 52 in a D2 game.

With the void in the basketball season upon us, I thought I'd resurrect a couple of old threads to see if anyone wanted to add to the lists.

Macomber B Ball
Leo Kubiak BGSU (HOF) NBA
Wardel Jackson OSU NBA
Kelvin Ransey OSU (AA, HOF) NBA
Jimmy Jackson OSU (AA, HOF) NBA
Bunk Adams OU Olympic alternate
Ray Lothery Tri-State (Trine) Harlem Globetrotters
Cal Christensen UToledo (HOF) NBA

Doesn't really stop there. As any of these old time schools, plenty others went on to impressive careers in college or various levels of pro-league. I think I got all the NBA ones though.

With the void in the basketball season upon us, I thought I'd resurrect a couple of old threads to see if anyone wanted to add to the lists.

Ottawa Glandorf

Tom Heckman
Ken Pothast
Terry Morman
Tim Pollitz
Noah Bramlage

Coming off the bench: Eric Pollitz, Todd Schumacher, Brad Shoemaeker, Ryan Maag

That McKinley list is till tops, maybe with SVSM second but not even close to the depth.

Last edited:
Not a Middletown alum but: some of the names, not exactly precise where they attended college
Jerry Lucas-OSU-Olympic Gold Medalist-NBA Hall of Fame
John Fraley
Butch Carter-IU-NBA
Archie Aldridge-FSU/Miami U-total dominance at 6'4 inside player
Cris Carter-OSU football-NFL Hall of Fame
Vic Merchant
Ryan Fletcher-UC

No Tom Pritchard? Started at Indiana as a Freshmen and was significantly more productive in High School and College than Roe.

Also, Jawad Williams was the most talented player to ever walk the halls at St. Edward, no debate. Clancy was the most productive/dominate. and Kipper Nichols or Steve Logan were the best X factor/finisher. Those 4 HAVE to be in your top 5. Who you want to pick for the 5th spot between Walczuk, Lepore, Pritchard, Roe, Hamilton, or Dobbs is a matter of opinion.
Steve Logan, Sam Clancy and Delvon Roe are the nonnegotiables of Ed's history. Quite sure Flan would agree with that. Rod Dieringer should also be in the list of those being considered. When you allow the post-high school years to influence the vote, Jawad Williams becomes nonnegotiable as well.

Perhaps Gino Bartelone (sp) over Hamilton. He was apart of those highly talented mid - late 90’s.

I believe he went on to win a national championship for a lower level division?