Top 5 all-time basketball programs in Ohio.

What are the all-time top 5 basketball programs in Ohio? (Select five)

• Akron Central-Hower

Votes: 28 20.1%
  • Akron St. Vincent-St. Mary

Votes: 90 64.7%
  • Archbold

Votes: 9 6.5%
  • Canton McKinley

Votes: 90 64.7%
  • Cincinnati Moeller

Votes: 52 37.4%
  • Cleveland East Tech

Votes: 22 15.8%
  • Columbus East

Votes: 21 15.1%
  • Dayton Dunbar

Votes: 42 30.2%
  • Delphos St. John's

Votes: 13 9.4%
  • Mansfield Senior

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • Middletown

Votes: 61 43.9%
  • Newark

Votes: 17 12.2%
  • Ottawa Glandorf

Votes: 15 10.8%
  • Portsmouth

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Villa Angela St. Joseph

Votes: 57 41.0%
  • Youngstown Rayen

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Zanesville

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Barberton

Votes: 6 4.3%

• Total voters
I don’t disagree with the list, but I would add

Berlin Hiland. They are solid every year. Boys and Girls.
Barberton Magic’s. From 1970-2010 as good a program and tradition as any in the state. They have fallen victim to open enrollment
I don't know enough about Berlin Hiland to put them on the list, but I'm willing to be convinced! I have added the Magics to the list.

St. V being Division II kind of weakens their argument against some of these teams.
I could agree with this point if you are talking strictly about championships. I will agree that winning a D1 title is more challenging than a D2 title. But if you look at their schedule, it is year-in and year-out, one of the toughest in the State. They play EVERYONE! If you look at the talent that goes through that program, it is second to none. So many of their players move on to become big contributors to their college programs. And if you look at how they have handled being the most celebrated/ notorious program (depending on your point of view), it has been very well run, with very little division or divisiveness. And, oh yeah, they have eight state titles... All in all, they belong near the top of the list.

I could agree with this point if you are talking strictly about championships. I will agree that winning a D1 title is more challenging than a D2 title. But if you look at their schedule, it is year-in and year-out, one of the toughest in the State. They play EVERYONE! If you look at the talent that goes through that program, it is second to none. So many of their players move on to become big contributors to their college programs. And if you look at how they have handled being the most celebrated/ notorious program (depending on your point of view), it has been very well run, with very little division or divisiveness. And, oh yeah, they have eight state titles... All in all, they belong near the top of the list.
This is obvious to anyone that understands sports. The criterion that carries the most significance is -SHIPS won. That is why it is SV-SM, VASJ, then everyone else.

No doubt that they belong at the top. Strictly was talking championships, when you see them go Divison 1 for one season and make it to states right away and lose to a very good Moeller team, just makes people realize that with their talent and recruiting, they’re really a Division 1 team.

What about HAMILTON ? 4 state championships PLUS 1 more when they split into 2 schools (taft & garfield) several runner ups
last championship was 2004.
not very good last 12 years or so I agree but improving Could be in Columbus this year If I am hearing correct

A couple names I recall from the 1970s that were dominant programs, not sure about all time history.

1- Willard. Seems they had something of a three season winning streak.

2-Napoleon. - liked the name and recall they had much success back in the 70's

3- Mansfield St Peter's- multiple significant runs

4- Dayton Dunbar- (including Dayton Roth who got merged into Dunbar) huge number of my all time favorite games come from this program.

In looking through some of these "Top 5" threads, it got me to wondering which programs rank Top 5 all-time in Ohio. I'll start off with this opening salvo (in no particular order other than alphabetical):

1. Akron Central-Hower
2. Canton-McKinley
3. Middletown
4. Portsmouth
5. ?

There are a lot of contenders for the #5 spot. My heart wants to go with ASVSM. But while it's been a great 20 year run for the Irish, I'm not sure that is long enough to qualify them as an "All-time Top 5" program just yet.
Definitely Central-Hower, in the late 90's 98-2003 they regained the tradition and was a top 10 team in the State of Ohio 4 of the 5 years, 97-98,98-99,99-2000,2002-2003, particularly when they were the deepest team in the state, 97-98, DeAngelo Jones, James Bland, Brandon Greene, mike Gould, Darryl McCall, Joe Lindsay, Sackie Whitmore, but they had players ranked in state of Ohio since middle school, DeAngelo Jones and James Bland were 3 yr varsity players both ranked and on all-time scoring list at Central-Hower with all the great players that played there, so is Brandon Greene a 4 yr varsity player. They could make a documentary about Central-Hower

Definitely Central-Hower, in the late 90's 98-2003 they regained the tradition and was a top 10 team in the State of Ohio 4 of the 5 years, 97-98,98-99,99-2000,2002-2003, particularly when they were the deepest team in the state, 97-98, DeAngelo Jones, James Bland, Brandon Greene, mike Gould, Darryl McCall, Joe Lindsay, Sackie Whitmore, but they had players ranked in state of Ohio since middle school, DeAngelo Jones and James Bland were 3 yr varsity players both ranked and on all-time scoring list at Central-Hower with all the great players that played there, so is Brandon Greene a 4 yr varsity player. They could make a documentary about Central-Hower
You know, I remember watching some great games between Central Hower and STVM, but, especially before 2000, the games of the year in Akron high school basketball were always when Central Hower played Buchtel. Those were high intensity games!

First, there has to be a delineation between teams in the recruiting era and the not-so-openly recruiting era (to placate those who claim recruiting went on at the high school level decades ago). Also, geography. And that puts an asterisk by number of state tournament appearances. Though its subjective, the second best team in the state may have had its path blocked in the regionals by the best team. Never mind schools are placed in divisions by enrollment numbers. Population shifts have caused some districts and regions provide easier paths to the state tournament. The regions are merely expanded (or contracted) to accommodate a nearly equal number of teams. In particular I am thinking of Hamilton. Four state championships but perhaps they were blocked before Columbus by some of the Middletown teams of the late 40s and early 50s. Also, Hamilton split into two schools in 1959 and then again in 1980. In the meantime, Hamilton Taft won the 1962 state championship. Hamilton Garfield lost by four in the 1968 state title game to Columbus East. I wonder if there was at least one or two players on the Taft team that year that would have provided depth and talent to get a united Hamilton team over the top in that game or Garfield have the 12 best players in the city. Now, I'll give Portsmouth its due for what it has accomplished and I've been around long enough to remember its teams in the 1960s. However, from a geographical standpoint the Trojans come across to me as the bullies on the block and I have to wonder if they would have achieved as much had they had to take a more urban path.

You left Andre Walton, Charles Dokes
Yes 97-98 we were deep and you are forgetting about Andre Walton, Charles Dokes, and James B. If they do decide to make a documentary about our team I would love to be apart of it.

You know, I remember watching some great games between Central Hower and STVM, but, especially before 2000, the games of the year in Akron high school basketball were always when Central Hower played Buchtel. Those were high intensity games!
Tge rivalry between Central and Buchtel was intense because we all knew one another from elementary and middle school. I played for Central in the late 90's abd those games were intense. We were the only team that beat Buchtel in the city in 97-98. We beat them 102- 88 and held Doyland Robinson to 5pts and he was in foul trouble the whole game.We should have won the game at Buchtel that year also but we got tired in overtime and D-Rob and them boys wore us out.

Ohio's all time best basketball program? If you are considering the most consistent overall winning program covering the past 75 years or more, than there is no question, its Canton McKinley.
Canton McKinley's all-time wins of 1,921 ranks #1 in Ohio and #5 in the nation. Includes 23 Final Four appearances; 8 State Runners-Up; 3 State Championships. The total "body of work" of Canton's basketball program clearly positions the Bulldogs as Ohio's premier all-time basketball program.

Canton McKinley's all-time wins of 1,921 ranks #1 in Ohio and #5 in the nation. Includes 23 Final Four appearances; 8 State Runners-Up; 3 State Championships. The total "body of work" of Canton's basketball program clearly positions the Bulldogs as Ohio's premier all-time basketball program.
An incredible program throughout the ages. None better for 50+ years. Plenty of arguments. Unfortunately that run isn’t much more then a district championship today.

Last edited:
This is obvious to anyone that understands sports. The criterion that carries the most significance is -SHIPS won. That is why it is SV-SM, VASJ, then everyone else.
Privates cannot be included in the discussions. Lebron and his hand picked AAU teams were never on a level field. This is so obvious to anyone that understands sports.

Privates cannot be included in the discussions. Lebron and his hand picked AAU teams were never on a level field. This is so obvious to anyone that understands sports.
So true. Neighborhood schools that just came together and became good to great teams were very special. That goes for basketball and football.

I see Archbold has 6 votes. How many state championships have they won? Just curious.
State Runner Up twice...I believe 8 other appearances at State Tournament. If you are talking overall body of work over the course of a schools existence...Archbold is Top 5 as they are number two all time in wins only behind McKinley who is hands down the best program in Ohio history.

According to the OHSAA website, here is the top 10 in all time wins:

1) 1,883 - Canton McKinley, 1,883-637-2 (Updated through the 2018-2019 season)
2) 1,719 - Archbold, 1,719-670 (Updated through the 2020-2021 season)
3) 1,677 - Newark, 1,677-734 (Updated through the 2022 season)
4) 1,534 - Mansfield Senior (updated through the 18-2019 season)
5) 1,523 - Delphos St. John's (Updated through the 2018-19 season)
6) 1,519 - Middletown, (1913-2019)
7) 1,506 - Barberton, 1,506-789 (1906-2020)
8) 1,490 - Dover, Crimson Tornadoes (1902-2022)
9) 1,466 - Canal Winchester (Updated through the 2016-17)
10) 1,464 - Strasburg (Updated through 2018-19 season)

Looks like some of these need updated though.

Looking at the all time football wins, St. Ignatius, Steubenville, Dover, and McKinley are the only schools that are top 20 in all time wins in both football and basketball (with Dover being top 10 in both, and McKinley being top 2 in both).
Ignatius is 7th in football 13th in basketball. Steubenville is 3rd in football and 12th in basketball.
Dover is 5th in football and 8th in basketball.
McKinley is 2nd in football and 1st in basketball.

Pretty impressive!

According to the OHSAA website, here is the top 10 in all time wins:

1) 1,883 - Canton McKinley, 1,883-637-2 (Updated through the 2018-2019 season)
2) 1,719 - Archbold, 1,719-670 (Updated through the 2020-2021 season)
3) 1,677 - Newark, 1,677-734 (Updated through the 2022 season)
4) 1,534 - Mansfield Senior (updated through the 18-2019 season)
5) 1,523 - Delphos St. John's (Updated through the 2018-19 season)
6) 1,519 - Middletown, (1913-2019)
7) 1,506 - Barberton, 1,506-789 (1906-2020)
8) 1,490 - Dover, Crimson Tornadoes (1902-2022)
9) 1,466 - Canal Winchester (Updated through the 2016-17)
10) 1,464 - Strasburg (Updated through 2018-19 season)

Looks like some of these need updated though.

Looking at the all time football wins, St. Ignatius, Steubenville, Dover, and McKinley are the only schools that are top 20 in all time wins in both football and basketball (with Dover being top 10 in both, and McKinley being top 2 in both).
Ignatius is 7th in football 13th in basketball. Steubenville is 3rd in football and 12th in basketball.
Dover is 5th in football and 8th in basketball.
McKinley is 2nd in football and 1st in basketball.

Pretty impressive!
Yes. Thank you.😉

I don’t know all the history on them but it seems like Dayton Dunbar has some really good teams at least back into the 80’s. Not sure top 5 program but somewhere in the top 10-15 I’d have to think.
Wolverines have had some great teams . Middie Magic was hard to beat . I think Paul Walker had 5 State Championships back in "The Day".