Top 5 all-time basketball programs in Ohio.

What are the all-time top 5 basketball programs in Ohio? (Select five)

• Akron Central-Hower

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Akron St. Vincent-St. Mary

Votes: 12 70.6%
  • Archbold

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Canton McKinley

• Cincinnati Moeller

• Cleveland East Tech

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Columbus East

• Dayton Dunbar

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Delphos St. John's

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Mansfield Senior

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Middletown

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Newark

• Ottawa Glandorf

• Portsmouth

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Villa Angela St. Joseph

• Youngstown Rayen

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

1 time

Upon further review. Newark is 3rd all in wins, over 1,600. 7 state appearances, with 3 championships and 1 runner up. Numerous regional appearances in the always tough central district in the big school classification. Possible Top 5 program.

Johnstown Benny

Upon further review. Newark is 3rd all in wins, over 1,600. 7 state appearances, with 3 championships and 1 runner up. Numerous regional appearances in the always tough central district in the big school classification. Possible Top 5 program.
The Newark Wildcats, in my biased opinion, should definitely be given consideration as one of the States' all-time best basketball programs.

1643 wins which is 3rd all-time in Ohio trailing only Canton McKinley and Archbold.

37 League Championships

23 Central District Championships ( Large School Division )

8 Regional Championships

8 appearances in the State Tournament

4 State Championships 1936, 1938, 1943, 2008

1 State Runner Up 1953

JB

Irish60

I've added a poll using the schools provided so far to see if we can reach some sort of consensus about the Top 5. My guess is there will be 2-3 who will be on everyone's ballots! It'll be interesting (at least to me! :)) to see where the votes end up. You can vote for 5 schools. Enjoy!

EastsideCat

VA-SJ could make a good case for top 5 easily. They had squads with height(Treg Lee, Eric Riley) speed and D(Lighty and Tony Miller) and some unbelievable talents(Clark Kellogg and Stanley Kimbrough). So if I look at Modern Era of hoops from 70's-80's on VA-SJ is a contender for Top 5. Relevancy and strength of competition would definitely go into play.

McKinley fills the bucket on most criteria for #1 if you are looking at all time.

EastsideCat

Boys basketball - 1991, 1992, 1994, 1995, 2013, 2015, 2017
VASJ is the only Ohio high school to have won boys basketball state titles within all four OHSAA divisions.

***This is from Wikipedia so it has to be true.

vikings4life

The top 4 in no particular order are McK, Middletown, St. Joes/VA-SJ and SV-SM. It is too bad that St. I (snobbery) and St. E (mercenary) will not be on the list. All of that Plain Dealer marketing/propaganda is not meaningful.