Tony Romo staying with CBS for $17M per season

Sig Hansen

I never imagined a QB would make more money as an analyst than as a player. ESPN will go hard after Peyton Manning for the MNF booth now. Should be crazy money

He’s the best they’ve got and I enjoy his analysis. It’s just crazy to think about the amount of money the NFL generates if CBS can pay this kind of coin.

Rumor was ESPN made a huge offer for his services and CBS probably had to match it in order to keep him. He’s the best color guy I’ve ever heard since I’ve watched football in terms of his knowledge, demeanor, and chemistry with Jim Nantz. Smart move by CBS to keep him

Good for Romo on getting the huge payday, and I realize $17M a year isn't much compared to what these networks are paying in broadcasting rights for these games, but do the commentators "move the needle" in the grand scheme of the ratings for the game itself? There are some commentators I can't stand, but I'll watch the games they cover if it's a matchup I want to see. I don't choose which games to watch based on who is commentating. Now for the pregame show, I could definitely see being drawn to one network or another based on the talent behind the desk.

I never considered not viewing a game because of the on air talent, but, when Ian Eagle is calling a Steeler game I’m not happy.

Good for Romo on getting the huge payday, and I realize $17M a year isn't much compared to what these networks are paying in broadcasting rights for these games, but do the commentators "move the needle" in the grand scheme of the ratings for the game itself? There are some commentators I can't stand, but I'll watch the games they cover if it's a matchup I want to see. I don't choose which games to watch based on who is commentating. Now for the pregame show, I could definitely see being drawn to one network or another based on the talent behind the desk.

You make a great point. I definitely enjoy Romo's insight and energy during the games, but I'd watch if someone else was doing the call.

MNF's biggest problem are the matchups. Booger is awful, but I still watch. The worst all time was Dennis Miller.

Word is they may try to flex MNF games. Can reallly suck for those who have tickets, but for the vast majority it is a win if we can get better matchups.

I'll change the channel to avoid annoying announcers, or turn the TV off. I can't be the only one.
If Beth Mowins is announcing a college game I will simply turn it off no matter the matchup. And if Ian Eagle is calling a n NFL game I will usually tune in

I dont watch, or not watch, a game because of the crew but man it is much nicer when you have good one.

I loved listening to Marty and Joe do REds games. When Joe passed, it just didnt seem the same and now with Marty gone I am not sure how often I will as the last couple of years when he was off it just didnt seem the same.

I will say this though...with ESPN/FSN/NBCsports replaying old football games it was nice to hear Al Michael's voice on the games so they do make it mroe enjoyable.

ANything without Booger...man he sucks (after a 3rd down play, making it 4th)...THey need to rush to the line and spike it and kick the FG.
The other announcer had a long pause like, wtf did I just hear.