Tom Pavlansky is new Poland head football coach

I think Tom is probably catching a little more heat than is fair, but it is worth noting that Lakeview hadn't won a playoff game since 2010. He deserves a lot of credit actually because most of his Lakeview teams up until then seemed to punch a little above weight class. He had a few road playoff wins, and in 07 they made the regional finals taking out the top seed Walsh Jesuit in the second round along the way. A couple tough losses to Chagrin Falls which was a 2 time state championship loser in 09/10 IIRC. So I disagree with the washed up notion but it is fair to point out that his peak success was between 10-15 years ago, and the last decade much more lean.

He's also going to a place with more talent on paper and the Pavlanskys are all great teachers so you'd think there's a chance to really gel. It will also be very hard for him to be run out of the school if things are rocky given the name so it is a little double-edged. But it's probably the best they were going to get so hard to fault Poland for the hire.

Agree with Football Forever. Chet Allen would be a great selection as Head Coach. He has a wealth of knowledge and has coached at many good places where he picked up a lot of coaching ideas. He would turn Lakeview into a scrappy bunch of players who would go into every game knowing that they can win! Chet Allen would work his butt off to get his players to believe in themselves. He would also bring in some good astute assistants to teach the players basic ways to excel at their position (and every possible way to beat their opponent). I hope the Board of Education gives Chet Allen an interview where I'm sure he will astounds them with his knowledge and passion for the game.

I think Tom is probably catching a little more heat than is fair, but it is worth noting that Lakeview hadn't won a playoff game since 2010. He deserves a lot of credit actually because most of his Lakeview teams up until then seemed to punch a little above weight class. He had a few road playoff wins, and in 07 they made the regional finals taking out the top seed Walsh Jesuit in the second round along the way. A couple tough losses to Chagrin Falls which was a 2 time state championship loser in 09/10 IIRC. So I disagree with the washed up notion but it is fair to point out that his peak success was between 10-15 years ago, and the last decade much more lean.

He's also going to a place with more talent on paper and the Pavlanskys are all great teachers so you'd think there's a chance to really gel. It will also be very hard for him to be run out of the school if things are rocky given the name so it is a little double-edged. But it's probably the best they were going to get so hard to fault Poland for the hire.

I agree with this. I always thought lakeview was better than their talent and was well coached. Granted I haven’t seen them much the last few years but the players they had, I don’t care who was coaching they weren’t gonna win much. As for systems, maybe he runs the system he does because that’s what was needed to be successful at Lakeview? And maybe will adjust and be more ground and pound at Poland. We’ll see, but I think it’s a good hire for Poland.

Last edited:
Agree with Football Forever. Chet Allen would be a great selection as Head Coach. He has a wealth of knowledge and has coached at many good places where he picked up a lot of coaching ideas. He would turn Lakeview into a scrappy bunch of players who would go into every game knowing that they can win! Chet Allen would work his butt off to get his players to believe in themselves. He would also bring in some good astute assistants to teach the players basic ways to excel at their position (and every possible way to beat their opponent). I hope the Board of Education gives Chet Allen an interview where I'm sure he will astounds them with his knowledge and passion for the game.
Seems like a great guy. But I saw those Liberty teams he put on the field. Maybe the Lakeview kids will take coaching differently than the Liberty ones.

Lakeview has no talent they will struggle regardless, pav needs to buy into the Poland way not the other way around that will be the gauge on how it shakes out. They’ll be very good with their roster this season unless he turns them into a passing team.

Poland has a very good program and team coming back for 2021. I think this is a good hire for Poland.

They have a couple of tough games early on with Canfield, Hubbard and South Range within the first 5 weeks. It will be interesting to see how Pav integrates his style of coaching with this group and if there will be any difficulties with the kids buying in to what he offers.

Should Lakeview go with the younger route? There are constant comments throughout other local threads about "recycling" coaches....... Lazarri and Sikora would be no different, not that I think they are in the running for this job, but Chet Allen fills that role. Although a nice guy, he had struggles at Liberty. I get it, comes with that job, but have heard some horror stories on him walking out of practice and being inconsistent in terms of discipline. With that conference, SR, Poland, and prob Hubbard will consistently be "top dogs", so everybody else battles for 4th essentially. Bring in a young guy who can fire up the troops, buy in to a culture, and can rebuild what was lost over the last few years. Simply my opinion

Should Lakeview go with the younger route? There are constant comments throughout other local threads about "recycling" coaches....... Lazarri and Sikora would be no different, not that I think they are in the running for this job, but Chet Allen fills that role. Although a nice guy, he had struggles at Liberty. I get it, comes with that job, but have heard some horror stories on him walking out of practice and being inconsistent in terms of discipline. With that conference, SR, Poland, and prob Hubbard will consistently be "top dogs", so everybody else battles for 4th essentially. Bring in a young guy who can fire up the troops, buy in to a culture, and can rebuild what was lost over the last few years. Simply my opinion
Talent in the NE8 goes in waves, all the school have really good success on certain years including lakeview before, the balance in the NE8 is what makes it such a good conference, most years there’s a chance someone loses to a team they arnt supposed to, there’s usually only 1 maybe 2 gimme games, lately it’s been lakeview and Jefferson, even tho jefferson almost beat Hubbard last year with the ball on the 10 going in the last minute. Interested to see what SR and Poland do after this year, both have phenomenal classes but talent will drop some the next few years

Talent in the NE8 goes in waves, all the school have really good success on certain years including lakeview before, the balance in the NE8 is what makes it such a good conference, most years there’s a chance someone loses to a team they arnt supposed to, there’s usually only 1 maybe 2 gimme games, lately it’s been lakeview and Jefferson, even tho jefferson almost beat Hubbard last year with the ball on the 10 going in the last minute. Interested to see what SR and Poland do after this year, both have phenomenal classes but talent will drop some the next few years
The NE8 is a very good league. You are correct with the ups and downs of programs through the years as well.

It will be interesting to see what Poland and SR bring to the table this year especially with Pavlansky taking over and seeing how SR retools after some key personnel loses. It will be interesting to see who takes over at QB for Hubbard, Girard and Niles this year as well. How will Lakeview and Jefferson respond to new coaching staffs? Also, what will year two bring for Bayuk and Struthers?

I just want to see a "Normal" year for these kids and communities. I can't wait for August!

The NE8 is a very good league. You are correct with the ups and downs of programs through the years as well.

It will be interesting to see what Poland and SR bring to the table this year especially with Pavlansky taking over and seeing how SR retools after some key personnel loses. It will be interesting to see who takes over at QB for Hubbard, Girard and Niles this year as well. How will Lakeview and Jefferson respond to new coaching staffs? Also, what will year two bring for Bayuk and Struthers?

I just want to see a "Normal" year for these kids and communities. I can't wait for August!
To answer your Struthers question. Hopefully growth on the field. Hopefully a 500 record.

I’ve heard good things about the weight room for Struthers, still will be young and will compete but I say they’re a year away. Very talented but young. Defense should improve an actual off season will help

Is there a list of candidates for the Lakeview job yet? Seems like a decent destination for a new guy to get started or a veteran looking to take the next step up to a bigger school district.

Is there a list of candidates for the Lakeview job yet? Seems like a decent destination for a new guy to get started or a veteran looking to take the next step up to a bigger school district.
Lakeview is goi g to need the exact right type of coach. Someone who doesn't mind HEAVY parent involvement.

Thanks for posting that article.

Was surprised to read that Mike Pavlansky has been HC at Canfield for 20+ years, time flies.

Interestingly enough, zero state championships in that group. That’s how hard it actually is.

Absolutely, it takes having a mixture of great talent, coaching, and some things to fall in your favor. Like SR this year, had Kirtland still been down in D6 they absolutely could have won the title looking at how competitive they were against kirtland compared to Ironton and Ostego. Or as a McDonald person 2018 and still being in D6 while the very next year dropping to D7- had they been in D7 in 2018 no doubt in my mind McDonald wins at minimum the region with a shot at it all (I’d have them favorites over Trimble that year and slight dogs to McComb). Just the way things work out.

Absolutely, it takes having a mixture of great talent, coaching, and some things to fall in your favor. Like SR this year, had Kirtland still been down in D6 they absolutely could have won the title looking at how competitive they were against kirtland compared to Ironton and Ostego. Or as a McDonald person 2018 and still being in D6 while the very next year dropping to D7- had they been in D7 in 2018 no doubt in my mind McDonald wins at minimum the region with a shot at it all (I’d have them favorites over Trimble that year and slight dogs to McComb). Just the way things work out.

Great point about SR, I totally agree they have kirtland their best game all year and could of won the title.. Canfield played in a title game in like 04 I believe but SR has been knocking on that door the last 5 years

Great point about SR, I totally agree they have kirtland their best game all year and could of won the title.. Canfield played in a title game in like 04 I believe but SR has been knocking on that door the last 5 years
Canfield lost to TCC in 2005 in the state championship game and was clearly the better team in every aspect of the game, a missed call on safety was the difference in the game, plus several other bad calls and just plain bad luck and injuries to several key players the starting QB & HB to name a few. 2004 Canfield lost to eventual state champions Brookhaven and gave them their closest game all year. 2006 Canfield narrowly lost to state runners up Pick Central in their closest game of the year before the championship game.
2015 Canfield was a very good team as well, Canfield lost to SV-SM who lost to eventual state champions Archbishop Hoban, SV-SM played Hoban the closest btw (3 points). 2017 Canfield lost to SV-SM again, this time narrowly by 3 points even though they were the better team, just one mistake cost them the game. 2018 Canfield lost to eventual state champion Kenston. This past year Canfield lost to eventual state champion Chardon, and gave them their closest game outside of DeSales in the actual championship game.

So Canfield has had 6 or 7 years where they could have conceivably won a state championship if they caught a few breaks rather than have the breaks go the other way. They had all the components, they just didn't always have the best luck, and luck is part of the game.

Canfield lost to TCC in 2005 in the state championship game and was clearly the better team in every aspect of the game, a missed call on safety was the difference in the game, plus several other bad calls and just plain bad luck and injuries to several key players the starting QB & HB to name a few. 2004 Canfield lost to eventual state champions Brookhaven and gave them their closest game all year. 2006 Canfield narrowly lost to state runners up Pick Central in their closest game of the year before the championship game.
2015 Canfield was a very good team as well, Canfield lost to SV-SM who lost to eventual state champions Archbishop Hoban, SV-SM played Hoban the closest btw (3 points). 2017 Canfield lost to SV-SM again, this time narrowly by 3 points even though they were the better team, just one mistake cost them the game. 2018 Canfield lost to eventual state champion Kenston. This past year Canfield lost to eventual state champion Chardon, and gave them their closest game outside of DeSales in the actual championship game.

So Canfield has had 6 or 7 years where they could have conceivably won a state championship if they caught a few breaks rather than have the breaks go the other way. They had all the components, they just didn't always have the best luck, and luck is part of the game.

wow I didn’t realize they had that much success.. they are always good and always tough but didn’t realize they had that much success the last 15 years. Pav is the man!

If anything Pav's "second wind" has been more impressive than his first round of success. Things seemed to lean out a little bit in the early part of the 2010s and a lot of folks either resign on their own or get run out of town. So I give Pavlansky credit but also the folks in Canfield for not running him out then.

Yeah. That 2005 team was absolutely loaded. If Babbaro doesn’t get hurt, they probably would’ve won the state championship...

Yeah. That 2005 team was absolutely loaded. If Babbaro doesn’t get hurt, they probably would’ve won the state championship...
I was at the game, rooting for Canfield; but, Toledo Central was the best team..."with or without Barbaro". Dane Sanzabarger, former Buckeye receiver played in that game for Toledo Central.

I was at the game, rooting for Canfield; but, Toledo Central was the best team..."with or without Barbaro". Dane Sanzabarger, former Buckeye receiver played in that game for Toledo Central.
It's Dane Sanzenbacher not "Sanzabarger" and I was at the game too, and I don't know what game you were watching. But anyone with any common sense could tell you who the better team was until Canfield had to put their 3rd string QB and 3rd string HB into the game, Babbarro (not "Barbaro") the starting HB got injured on a return, after taking one back for a TD and a rushing TD, TCC couldn't stop him or contain him at all. Ross and McNally the 1st and 2nd string QBs both got hurt forcing Baker the 2nd string HB and also their best WR to play QB. I am not even sure who the 3rd string HB was but they started giving more of the carries to Banna the FB. And one of the WRs or TEs got injured as well, it might have been Bellish but not sure. Regardless Babbarro, Ross & McNally were all DBs, Baker was the only starting DB remaining, and the other kid was an edge rusher I think (OLB). TCC used gimmicky and trick plays like the Hook & latter to Sanzenbacher and they got lucky with some calls, one time they didn't even make it out of the endzone but got forward progress to the 2, not even the 1 inch line or the 1, instead of it being a safety. And I think they got the ball in the first place on a fumble recovery when the HB was already down and I think the ball might have been barely out of bounds, but I may be wrong about the details for this play.