Toledo City League

MacMen22

Eventful day in the city. Jamiya Neal transfers to Rogers, and Caleb Smith’s headed to Start. Rogers will be favored, but don’t sleep on Coach Wortham and the Spartans.

Great question but I don’t know who transferred first. The Jamiya news broke and that was front page stuff, but I know Caleb made it public last Wed about transferring to Start. Interesting game of chess a few days before the first day of school in TPS lol.

So let me get this straight, kid starts at TPS, goes private, goes back to TPS and then to another TPS, at what point does somebody ask the parents what the deal is?
It always looks like shady moves, but sometimes these kids have such crazy lives that transfers are inevitable.

So let me get this straight, kid starts at TPS, goes private, goes back to TPS and then to another TPS, at what point does somebody ask the parents what the deal is?
At the first move, they showed the insanity. After that, the meds must have kicked in.

I got to check last year's JV rosters to see if Waite will have any players over 5'8".

At the first move, they showed the insanity. After that, the meds must have kicked in.

I got to check last year's JV rosters to see if Waite will have any players over 5'8".

Waite has a freshman about 6’1 that started for their summer league team looked pretty good too..not putting alot of stock into that but who knows

Couple nice wins;

Rogers over Walnut Ridge 55-47
Woodward over Northview 61-56

Does Woodward have some new guys or were they real young last year?

Couple games that went as expected;

Waite lost to Fremont Ross 63-54.
Bowsher lost to a good Perrysburg team 71-51

Huge game Friday Rogers at Start.

You know Start will be talented, play hard and be well prepared. Do they have the horses to knock Rogers off? Rogers too me looks like they can beat good teams even on an off night, they are that talented.

You know Start will be talented, play hard and be well prepared. Do they have the horses to knock Rogers off? Rogers too me looks like they can beat good teams even on an off night, they are that talented.

I'm planning on going, should be a slobberknocker.

Couple nice wins;

Rogers over Walnut Ridge 55-47
Woodward over Northview 61-56

Does Woodward have some new guys or were they real young last year?

Couple games that went as expected;

Waite lost to Fremont Ross 63-54.
Bowsher lost to a good Perrysburg team 71-51

Was at the Waite/Fremont game Waite was actually up the entire game until the 4th quarter they gave up a 7 point lead. Someone in the stands told me they were missing 2 starters got in trouble in school day before the game

Rogers 44
Start 33

Game did not disappoint. Was 28-24 Start after 3, but Rogers poured it on late.

Rogers has as much athleticism as anyone they will face this year. But if they are going to take advantage of that athleticism, there will need to be a lot of development over the course of the season. Not sure if I think that is going to happen, but we shall see.

Tip of the cap to Matt Wortham, the kind of discipline and structure he has instilled in the program over at Start is admirable.

Rogers 44
Start 33

Game did not disappoint. Was 28-24 Start after 3, but Rogers poured it on late.

Rogers has as much athleticism as anyone they will face this year. But if they are going to take advantage of that athleticism, there will need to be a lot of development over the course of the season. Not sure if I think that is going to happen, but we shall see.

Tip of the cap to Matt Wortham, the kind of discipline and structure he has instilled in the program over at Start is admirable.
Watched on replay and came away with the same assessment.

Rogers eventually wore Start down with their depth and talent but I thought Start was the better coached team. We've seen it before were a bunch of talent comes together only to never live up to their potential due to egos. Throughout last nights game Roger's never really gelled IMO. It is early so hopefully they only get better.

By no means giving up on Rogers, but came away very disappointed. They have a whole lot of work ahead of them. Settled for jumpers, no high low game even though they have 3 6’7” strong, athletic bigs. Didn’t have much of an advantage on the glass even though they had 5-6 inch advantage at every position.

They did beat a good well coached team while not playing their best, but I don't think that effort would have beat last year's Start team.

Last edited:
Stopped over to Rogers to see them face Anthony Wayne this afternoon. Rogers overwhelmed them (and the 2-3 zone defense) easily. Final margin was 16 I think, but could have been 30+ if the Rogers coaches were so inclined. I was glad to see them getting the bench some minutes though, that is important.

Too much length, too much size. Still left me wanting in terms of offensive fluidity, but the kids spirits were good and they are progressing which is what concerned me when I saw them a few weeks ago. There is a lot of work to do to fulfill their potential this season, but I'm not writing them off yet...

The Old Golf Caddy picking up a couple wins between rounds in San Diego. Not exactly steller competition but points for being savy enough to get into a Torrey Pines tournament.

Start beat San Joaqin which would have been more memorable if their 2022 expected #1 PG in the country hadn't transferred to a fancy sports prep over the Summer. Still, a good run for the Toledo team. BUT it's not SJJ so probably won't have anything in duh'local about it.

Last edited:
Start at Rogers round 2 this Friday night. Get there early before they close the doors to the public like they did at Start. A lot of fans didn’t get in last time which killed the atmosphere of the crowd unfortunately.

I believe he missed two 1/2 seasons for transferring, to SJJ and now Start. Makes ya wonder if it was worth losing a full year of basketball.

Watched the Rogers/Bowsher replay on BCSN.

4 things I would love for Rogers to improve on;

1. Stop throwing weak skip passes, especially if you are not passing to a shooter (high risk no reward).
2. Look to pass without dribbling 1st. They constantly put it on the floor, when the ball should not stop. Looks like it is done out of habit. It allows teams to stay in front of them without ever having to chase or closeout hard.
3. Probe the gaps in the defense with the intention of drawing and kicking or dumping the ball off. They look like they drive with the intent of scoring only, instead of reading what is there.
4. Don't reach. Their traps are quick and long. If they would just deny and steal the next pass out of the trap they would not get into as much foul trouble.

They have so much talent, but they make it look so hard on the offensive end if it is not a run out or an offensive rebound.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm stuck on an impression but Rogers may athlete their way to state but they'll not basketball their way to state. Even down 16-0, Start is playing better basketball.

The thing is, normally I'd say that because the players were selfish or buttheads but that's not the case at all with Rogers. I doubt Start is just average players but they seem to know more. How to move. How to move the ball. Even how to protect the shot.

Is Rogers young?

Last edited:
Maybe I'm stuck on an impression but Rogers may athlete their way to state but they'll not basketball their way to state. Even down 16-0, Start is playing better basketball.

The thing is, normally I'd say that because the players were selfish or buttheads but that's not the case at all with Rogers. I doubt Start is just average players but they seem to know more. How to move. How to move the ball. Even how to protect the shot.

Is Rogers young?

I agree with your assessment. Good kids at Rogers, they needed continuity over there and haven't had it. When you add in transfers, it's not a tidy situation. With that said, they looked light years better tonight than they did the first go round with Start.

As much physical talent as I have seen on a high school floor this year and they are progressing...we shall see. OHSAA has them #2, and when they turn it on, watch out!

They aren't particularly young. Nelson, Wyatt and Jackson are seniors. Coleman and Neal are Juniors. They have reserves in each class.