Toledo Central Catholic Booted from the Tournament for 3rd Recruiting Violation

BigK72

Article is from Dayton Daily News. The thing I found interesting from all of it was that Napoleon (who TCC just beat) gets to take their place in the tournament now.

Haven’t there been times in other sports where the winning team had to bow out for some reason?

I just assumed that it’d be a scratch and Oak Harbor would automatically advance
It’s happened before. Usually they give a team the option to play/take the spot. Sometimes teams decline for various reasons, sometimes they accept.

It’s happened before. Usually they give a team the option to play/take the spot. Sometimes teams decline for various reasons, sometimes they accept.
didn't it happen for a state title in Football when Brunswick played Iggy for like a second time because someone was removed from the tourney?

update: found the article, little different scenario but still an instance where a team was removed from the tourney and the most recent team they beat got back in

What are the actual violations?
From the Jan. 12, 2023 Board Minutes:
Toledo Central Catholic High School violated Bylaw 494 #3, Recruiting, when a girls basketball coach had impermissible contact with a prospective student-athlete and their family prior to an application fee being submitted to the school for potential enrollment. The Executive Director’s Office has accepted Toledo Central Catholic’s self-imposed penalties of 1.) suspending the coach from the first four regular season contests of the 2022-23 girls basketball season, 2.) requiring the coach to complete the NFHS Learning Center’s “Teaching and Modeling Behavior” course and 3.) conducting an educational seminar with the coaching staff regarding the Recruiting bylaws. Additionally, in accordance with Bylaw 11, Penalties, the Executive Director’s Office hereby publicly reprimands both the coach and Toledo Central Catholic High School for this violation. Future penalties of such a nature will result in harsher penalties as deemed appropriate by the Executive Director’s Office.

I can only guess that something else came up at the Feb. 16 Board meeting.

didn't it happen for a state title in Football when Brunswick played Iggy for like a second time because someone was removed from the tourney?

update: found the article, little different scenario but still an instance where a team was removed from the tourney and the most recent team they beat got back in

Don't forget Shiloh Christian Academy getting a second chance to play and beat Richland.

From the Jan. 12, 2023 Board Minutes:
Toledo Central Catholic High School violated Bylaw 494 #3, Recruiting, when a girls basketball coach had impermissible contact with a prospective student-athlete and their family prior to an application fee being submitted to the school for potential enrollment. The Executive Director’s Office has accepted Toledo Central Catholic’s self-imposed penalties of 1.) suspending the coach from the first four regular season contests of the 2022-23 girls basketball season, 2.) requiring the coach to complete the NFHS Learning Center’s “Teaching and Modeling Behavior” course and 3.) conducting an educational seminar with the coaching staff regarding the Recruiting bylaws. Additionally, in accordance with Bylaw 11, Penalties, the Executive Director’s Office hereby publicly reprimands both the coach and Toledo Central Catholic High School for this violation. Future penalties of such a nature will result in harsher penalties as deemed appropriate by the Executive Director’s Office.

I can only guess that something else came up at the Feb. 16 Board meeting.
You are such a wealth of information...makes looking things up easier! A Meijer store on 619..you will never venture into the metroplex now...lol

You are such a wealth of information...makes looking things up easier! A Meijer store on 619..you will never venture into the metroplex now...lol
Correction: The OHSAA Board minutes are a wealth of information. I only wish the OHSAA would post them on the website in a more timely manner after each meeting.

You may well be correct that I never venture to the Uniontown-Hartville metroplex again, haha.

Haven’t there been times in other sports where the winning team had to bow out for some reason?

I just assumed that it’d be a scratch and Oak Harbor would automatically advance
When I coached in Medina we lost a Regional final to Whitmer who cut down the nets went to State and were runners up. When they were disqualified for recruiting, the state mailed us the Regional trophy! Big deal!

When I coached in Medina we lost a Regional final to Whitmer who cut down the nets went to State and were runners up. When they were disqualified for recruiting, the state mailed us the Regional trophy! Big deal!
Now THAT is pretty wild

I recall awhile back when Africentric boys won DIV but was stripped of the title. When it came time to return the trophy, Africentric claimed they couldn't find it. Lutheran East was awarded the state title instead. IIRC, this was somewhere around 2005-2007.
Lutheran East 'won' 2-0.

1677383227505.png

I remember that "couldn't find it" scenario now. Killing me.....

And getting a regional trophy after the fact is close, but not quite as comical, as NCAA making schools take down banners and whiting out past results in record books, a la Stalin's purge around 85-90 years ago of Red Army generals followed by "photoshopping" them out of military "team pictures."

From the OHSAA Feb. 16 Board Minutes:
Toledo Central Catholic High School violated Bylaws 4-9-2, 4-9-4 #3, and 4-9-4 #4, Recruiting, when a girls basketball assistant coach had impermissible contact with a prospective student-athlete prior to an application fee being submitted to the school for potential enrollment. In accordance with Bylaw 11, Penalties, the Executive Director’s Office, has issued the following sanctions: 1.) Toledo Central Catholic is publicly reprimanded for its second girls basketball program violation of this nature; 2.) The assistant coach shall be prohibited from coaching during the 2023 OHSAA Girls Basketball Tournament; 3.) Toledo Central Catholic is required to conduct a recruiting seminar, led by an OHSAA compliance staff member, for all head coaches and any other personnel deemed appropriate; 4.) Toledo Central Catholic has been fined $2,500, and 5,) Toledo Central Catholic’s girls basketball program shall be placed on probation through the 2024-25 school year. Any additional recruiting violations which occur during the probationary period will result in additional penalties as deemed appropriate by the Executive Director’s Office, including the team's removal from the OHSAA Girls Basketball Tournament.

The above was for violation #2. Some places and people simply don't learn. Violation #3 will likely be mentioned in the minutes from the Board's next meeting which is not until the end of April.

From the OHSAA Feb. 16 Board Minutes:
Toledo Central Catholic High School violated Bylaws 4-9-2, 4-9-4 #3, and 4-9-4 #4, Recruiting, when a girls basketball assistant coach had impermissible contact with a prospective student-athlete prior to an application fee being submitted to the school for potential enrollment. In accordance with Bylaw 11, Penalties, the Executive Director’s Office, has issued the following sanctions: 1.) Toledo Central Catholic is publicly reprimanded for its second girls basketball program violation of this nature; 2.) The assistant coach shall be prohibited from coaching during the 2023 OHSAA Girls Basketball Tournament; 3.) Toledo Central Catholic is required to conduct a recruiting seminar, led by an OHSAA compliance staff member, for all head coaches and any other personnel deemed appropriate; 4.) Toledo Central Catholic has been fined $2,500, and 5,) Toledo Central Catholic’s girls basketball program shall be placed on probation through the 2024-25 school year. Any additional recruiting violations which occur during the probationary period will result in additional penalties as deemed appropriate by the Executive Director’s Office, including the team's removal from the OHSAA Girls Basketball Tournament.

The above was for violation #2. Some places and people simply don't learn. Violation #3 will likely be mentioned in the minutes from the Board's next meeting which is not until the end of April.
Thx for this information.....interesting.

When are they going to investigate Columbus Afrocentric?
as soon as you give them reason to? They're waiting by their phones.

TCC apparently didn't need to be investigated. You can't fix stupid. THREE times? What can you do but tell your coach to "stop it." If they won't stop, what's to do? I guess they could have fired staff mid-season. I keep thinking there has to be more to this story. How could anyone be that arrogant?

as soon as you give them reason to? They're waiting by their phones.

TCC apparently didn't need to be investigated. You can't fix stupid. THREE times? What can you do but tell your coach to "stop it." If they won't stop, what's to do? I guess they could have fired staff mid-season. I keep thinking there has to be more to this story. How could anyone be that arrogant?
There's smoke..has to be fire.

When are they going to investigate Columbus Afrocentric?
City league loophole……the rest of the City League barely has girls basketball and Africentric is going for their 8th State Title. They also have a 3,000 seat gym with all the bells and whistles. But hey, #equality. Just a school free to draw from a population of 1,000,000 people.

City league loophole……the rest of the City League barely has girls basketball and Africentric is going for their 8th State Title. They also have a 3,000 seat gym with all the bells and whistles. But hey, #equality. Just a school free to draw from a population of 1,000,000 people.
Boys and girls...it's an f'ing joke.

Just like the private schools. Oh no!!!!!, lol

We have a bit more balance around here. Sometimes it depends on which school a particular coach decides to work for. Other things come into play. A lot of time, it's just the local public being successful in fending off raids from the private school using scare tactics, their lower academic standards and gubment money to keep their failed ventures afloat.

Push comes to shove, we tend to root for whoever gets out of region, public or private. That will probably change as our larger private schools will now be in a Michigan conference. A few school supporters will probably have to find some other message board to try their promotions or shameful as they are sometimes, will probably keep coming here as if they're relevant.

Can’t see that happening. OHSAA wouldn’t make any money from that.