Toledo Area Schools?

Club_Gyp

Will any Toledo Area Schools be starting up a volleyball program now that it's a sanctioned sport in Ohio?

Springfield was the only school in the Toledo area that I have ever heard with any boys volleyball history back in the mid to late 90s maybe.

The Springfield girls coach is married to the Mens Volleyball coach at Lourdes. So with the school history and the tie to mens volleyball.......maybe they would lead the charge to bring it back.

The major issue is it being in the Spring. They are battling three other sports to get boys out. Baseball,Track, and Lacrosse. I know it's not possible, but the fall seems like the best fit.

The major issue is it being in the Spring. They are battling three other sports to get boys out. Baseball,Track, and Lacrosse. I know it's not possible, but the fall seems like the best fit.
Fall has football, soccer and cross country for boys, not to mention girls' volleyball will need the gym. Winter won't work due to club season, basketball, wrestling, swimming and bowling. Like volleyball, not every school has lacrosse so it depends on the school. If there's no lacrosse, baseball and track are the only spring competition for numbers.

Fall has football, soccer and cross country for boys, not to mention girls' volleyball will need the gym. Winter won't work due to club season, basketball, wrestling, swimming and bowling. Like volleyball, not every school has lacrosse so it depends on the school. If there's no lacrosse, baseball and track are the only spring competition for numbers.
Tennis is also in the Spring

You're going to have overlapping sports no matter when you do it. And right now, the vast majority of the country does boys HS vball in the spring, and OHSAA just adopted it as a spring sport, so I don't think there's a change coming any time soon. All college mens vball is spring as well.

Bottom line, you have to find people who love boys volleyball, and who can dedicate a 2-3 years minimum in getting it going at a high school. Like anything else, it takes some time. And you need someone who is passionate to help drive interest by recruiting young kids or even current kids.

Taylor HS, in the Cincinnati area has several youth teams playing from 3rd grade on up. Taylor isn't the strongest HS team right now (3rd season I believe), but in a few years, I wouldn't bet against them having solid teams just due to the numbers and "normalizing" the sport. That's the long-term investment needed for teams across the state, IMO.