Toledo Area Basketball 22-23

Blade Player of the year going to Easter over Hornbeak is a joke. Easter a great talent no doubt but team success has to play a role in the selection.

Blade Player of the year going to Easter over Hornbeak is a joke. Easter a great talent no doubt but team success has to play a role in the selection.
SJJ went 8-6 in league play, 13-9 overall. I don’t think a great tournament run should overshadow the entire regular season either. I would argue Watkins at Perrysburg or West at whitmer were the best players on the most successful teams in the area but have no problem with Easter, the most talented player in the area, winning the award.

It is the Blade Player of The Year award. Easter averaged 32 points, 7 rebounds, and 2 assists a game while playing a loaded non-conference schedule and going 21-4. Easter will have his choice of multiple power 5 schools to play at.

Hornbeak averaged 20, 4, and 2 and played a tough TRAC schedule and some solid non-conference games. He did lead his team to the final four, which is an accomplishment in itself. Hornbeak has one D2 offer right now from what I have seen.

I think the Blade nailed this no-brainer pick.

Vorst or Hornbeak, leaning Hornbeak. I'll agree Easter did try to keep teammates involved and develop them. His numbers were certainly best against probably equal competition, even though lower division. I don't see a runaway selection here. To call any of a fine-line a "joke," not fair to me on this case. Several made a good case for themselves.

Yeah I could make a case for others but Easter makes sense. I could make a case for Vorst, West, and Hornbeak as well. Would be interested to see what Easter's numbers would look like in the TRAC and what Vorst, West, and Hornbeak's numbers would look like in the TAAC? Not suggesting anything but would be interesting.

Most of the coaches around here go for an attempt at team balance I think. In the past maybe. I can't see reason any major differences in West's, Easter's or Hornbeak's. Vorst? That's a different dynamic and his height makes for a tempting tool. There are some NLL schools where I think his scoring numbers would have jumped. In the TRAC or TAAC, idk.

Local High School/College News

DeSean Nelson (DePaul) is in the transfer portal. I think he still has 2 years. Pretty strong stat line this season.

10 ppg 4.8 Reb 1.7 Assists
53% FG 33% 3Pt% 73% FT

Would love to see what he could do at Toledo.

Local High School/College News

DeSean Nelson (DePaul) is in the transfer portal. I think he still has 2 years. Pretty strong stat line this season.

10 ppg 4.8 Reb 1.7 Assists
53% FG 33% 3Pt% 73% FT

Would love to see what he could do at Toledo.
Did he have an offer from Toledo out of high school? Kowalczyk lost a couple guys to the transfer portal at the end of the year. Having a 6'8 dude like Nelson would help a team that needs a post presence.

Did he have an offer from Toledo out of high school? Kowalczyk lost a couple guys to the transfer portal at the end of the year. Having a 6'8 dude like Nelson would help a team that needs a post presence.

I don't think so - just wishful thinking on my part.

The NBC better be on high alert now that they have a new Athletic Director in the works. With the hiring of of the new one, they have a clear and obvious path to former eastwood girls coach, Nick Schmeltz to run that boys program within a couple years. I would not be surprised if Lake turns into Eastwood 2.0 with her hiring. You heard it here first, Lake is going to be a force in multiple sports here in a few years.

The NBC better be on high alert now that they have a new Athletic Director in the works. With the hiring of of the new one, they have a clear and obvious path to former eastwood girls coach, Nick Schmeltz to run that boys program within a couple years. I would not be surprised if Lake turns into Eastwood 2.0 with her hiring. You heard it here first, Lake is going to be a force in multiple sports here in a few years.
So a 28 year old outsider is going to come in and clean house while the guy who just retired is still around to manage the facilities? Okay…

Does Nick have a conference player of the year younger brother?

Are you thinking that the previous guy has done a great job with his hires lately, especially on the football and basketball side? Both of those sports have seen undisciplined teams with absolutely no direction. I'd guess the 28 year old outsider cannot make ANY worse hires than the facilities manager.

Are you thinking that the previous guy has done a great job with his hires lately, especially on the football and basketball side? Both of those sports have seen undisciplined teams with absolutely no direction. I'd guess the 28 year old outsider cannot make ANY worse hires than the facilities manager.

Did he hire Emans and Olwin? Those weren’t bad hires.

If he’d had a teaching job available when Bowen stepped down the trajectory of boys’ basketball in the league might have been completely different over the past 5 years.

Baseball, girls’ basketball, and both soccer programs have been solid and the overall facilities are the best in the league, IMO. The athletic booster support is very good, as well.

Did he hire Emans and Olwin? Those weren’t bad hires.

If he’d had a teaching job available when Bowen stepped down the trajectory of boys’ basketball in the league might have been completely different over the past 5 years.

Baseball, girls’ basketball, and both soccer programs have been solid and the overall facilities are the best in the league, IMO. The athletic booster support is very good, as well.

With Lake’s enrollment figures, I see no reason why they shouldn’t be able to compete in upper third in the NBC in ALL sports. Sure, you will have a down year or two here and there - but with the numbers they have year in and year out, no reason why they can’t compete.

Stability will be the biggest thing IMO. Look at their sport successes.

Baseball - Wilker was there forever. Countless league championships

Football - Emans had 6 years of steadiness that resulted in some very good teams.

Girls Soccer - Jablunksi 10 years. Consistency. If Eastwood didn’t have some of the teams they did, they would have won 5-6 conference championships.

Girls Basketball - Nowak just finished year 8. Have been upper third of the NBC every year including a regional appearance and NBC championships.

Consistency is key.

Lots of questions floating around the area.
What other jobs might open?
Who gets Rossford?
Who gets Southview?
Do any of those hires cause a Domino effect?
Is Jerry Easter staying at Emmanuel?
Which players are transferring?

With all of that swirling around I don’t think we will have any answers soon. I don’t think anymore jobs will open at all. I don’t think Kachmerik takes the Rossford job. Who knows with Southview. Assistants or recycled coaches will take one of those so no dominos. I think Easter will be gone. Also, not as much transferring as seen in the past will happen this year. Am I off on any of this? Or all of this? Probably all of this. 😂

Lots of questions floating around the area.
What other jobs might open?
Who gets Rossford?
Who gets Southview?
Do any of those hires cause a Domino effect?
Is Jerry Easter staying at Emmanuel?
Which players are transferring?

With all of that swirling around I don’t think we will have any answers soon. I don’t think anymore jobs will open at all. I don’t think Kachmerik takes the Rossford job. Who knows with Southview. Assistants or recycled coaches will take one of those so no dominos. I think Easter will be gone. Also, not as much transferring as seen in the past will happen this year. Am I off on any of this? Or all of this? Probably all of this. 😂

If it's not based upon real-life information than you're wrong on all of it. Eventually maybe we'll see you guessed on some or all of it.

Is any of that based upon facts? Conversation with those that should know? Or is it all hunches?

If it's not based upon real-life information than you're wrong on all of it. Eventually maybe we'll see you guessed on some or all of it.

Is any of that based upon facts? Conversation with those that should know? Or is it all hunches?
All just guesses and trying to add some discussion to a pretty dead thread.

My bad. I wasn’t fully truthful. All are based on some rumors from within the basketball community. And also just trying to add some discussion to a slow moving thread.