Toledo Area Basketball 20-21

Big game on Saturday. Number 4 in D3 vs Number 4 in D2. Rossford vs OG. I haven’t watched much of OG this year. Thoughts on the game?

back over the Summer, talk here was Rossford not starting a single player from within their system, "recruits." The counter was they were "cast-offs," not really strong players from other programs and they just fell into the Rossford lap. What has been the reality? Are they starting a team that didn't exist? Are they good?

back over the Summer, talk here was Rossford not starting a single player from within their system, "recruits." The counter was they were "cast-offs," not really strong players from other programs and they just fell into the Rossford lap. What has been the reality? Are they starting a team that didn't exist? Are they good?

Not sure what qualifies as coming from "within the system," but 4 of the 5 starters came to Rossford as freshmen and the 5th as a sophomore (who now lives in the district). He's the only one who's played a minute of basketball at another HS and matriculated from that known recruiting hotbed of Metamora.

O-G, Wauseon and St. Ignatius left on the regular season schedule and Central/Sandusky/Rogers/Columbian in the District. I guess we'll find out how good they are over the next month or so.

Not sure what qualifies as coming from "within the system," but 4 of the 5 starters came to Rossford as freshmen and the 5th as a sophomore (who now lives in the district). He's the only one who's played a minute of basketball at another HS and matriculated from that known recruiting hotbed of Metamora.

Long way of saying none of the 5 starters were at Rossford before high school.

I think Rossford is a better team than their individual parts. They are good players, with high basketball IQs. Not overly athletic as a whole or clear cut "scholarship" level players. Besides Gaston, no one will really blow by his man, more catch and shoot or pull up jumpers than getting to the rim vs a defender. They do a great job of playing team basketball that results in open shots or dump offs on back door cuts.

I picture them as a typical Archbold type team in style of play with more bulk on the interior.

Combining a couple posts - I watched OG blow out BG, but will say they are not typical OG. They lack their typical size, quickness and depth. Which to me means they are real darn good, but not great.

I think Rossford wins this game by 5-7.

Last edited:
Is it on BCSN? Might be fun to watch. OG usually pretty solid, well taught teams. Be a good measuring stick.

I think to qualify for Rossforidian you had to have been to Mo's at least once before 6th grade. Unless they got substantial proof of that, they are recruits. I'll get OHSAA on it.

Would anyone out there have called these 3 results from Wed.? I would have been 0-3.

Toledo Scott 57, Toledo Rogers 45
Toledo Waite 60, Toledo Bowsher 57
Toledo Woodward 58, Toledo Start 56

Is it on BCSN? Might be fun to watch. OG usually pretty solid, well taught teams. Be a good measuring stick.

I think to qualify for Rossforidian you had to have been to Mo's at least once before 6th grade. Unless they got substantial proof of that, they are recruits. I'll get OHSAA on it.
It's on WOSN

no
Would anyone out there have called these 3 results from Wed.? I would have been 0-3.

Seriously Waite lost to Woodward and Rogers, Bowsher beat Woodward and Rogers but lost to Waite. Rogers lost to Bowsher beat Woodward and Start blasted everybody...but takes a loss at Woodward. Very “balanced” this year

Big game on Saturday. Number 4 in D3 vs Number 4 in D2. Rossford vs OG. I haven’t watched much of OG this year. Thoughts on the game?
OG has Shawnee at home tonight. Shawnee still without their 2nd best player. End of January and hosting two teams that are still undefeated. Too bad they can't fit in a few more fans.

New league rule. Alphabetical, higher letter wins. Wootward has already wrapped up the league title. You'll see.

Big win for Stritch over Toledo Christian 75-61. The young guys seem to be stepping up after stubbing their toes early on. That is another game I would have never called.

Big win for Stritch over Toledo Christian 75-61. The young guys seem to be stepping up after stubbing their toes early on. That is another game I would have never called.
Did not see that one coming. Stritch has enough talent to overcome anything on any given night. Who is the Revels kid? Size? Position? Thanks.

Did not see that one coming. Stritch has enough talent to overcome anything on any given night. Who is the Revels kid? Size? Position? Thanks.

^^^^^Ooops you beat me too it.

6'1"-6'2" Soph. shooting guard, may run the point next year. He was more of a spot up shooter last year when I saw him. He has gotten bigger/stronger more confident this season. Stritch's soph. class has a lot of talent (long athletic at multiple positions) and could be real good down the road with some maturity.

Rossford beats OG by 14. Shawnee loses to Findlay by 7.

OG caused some TOs with their pressure, but they gave up way more points than they created. They need to do a better job with post defense and getting back in transition D. Unless a team comes out of Columbus the D3 BG regional is wide open. Several good but no great teams. PG and Center are nice players for OG but didn't have their best games.

Rossford was quite a bit quicker at most of the positions. You hear about Gaston, Morrison and mullet man, but Croom had a big game and showed the ability to take his man off a couple dribbles. In prior games I have watched he was more of a garbage man than someone who created offense off the dribble. Rossford's team D is very solid. More impressed each time I see them. They will be a tough out in the tournament.

Last edited:
OG caused some TOs with their pressure, but they gave up way more points than they created. They need to do a better job with post defense and getting back in transition D. Unless a team comes out of Columbus the D3 BG regional is wide open. Several good but no great teams. PG and Center are nice players for OG but didn't have their best games.

Rossford was quite a bit quicker at most of the positions. You hear about Gaston, Morrison and mullet man, but Croom had a big game and showed the ability to take his man off a couple dribbles. In prior games I have watched he was more of a garbage man than someone who created offense off the dribble. Rossford's team D is very solid. More impressed each time I see them. They will be a tough out in the tournament.
If they shoot 60%+ like they did last night, they could definitely give Shawnee a run for their money. Granted they have to make it to regionals first. Central Catholic, Shelby, and Tiffin Colombian will be tough in the district. Gaston is almost unstoppable running the pick and roll offense.

If they shoot 60%+ like they did last night, they could definitely give Shawnee a run for their money. Granted they have to make it to regionals first. Central Catholic, Shelby, and Tiffin Colombian will be tough in the district. Gaston is almost unstoppable running the pick and roll offense.
Shelby is in the Ashland district.

OG looked tired - understandable after Friday night. Still, Rossford forced them into their third of fourth option out of a lot of their sets and absolutely destroyed their press. I'd expect Rossford to see a lot of zone and teams going under ball screens instead of hedging going forward.

Score of the day. Impressive game by Ottoville. But wow how can Rogers be that bad? Yes I know it was just their 2nd game.

Ottoville with 46 Boys - 100
Rogers with 352 Boys - 31

Score of the day. Impressive game by Ottoville. But wow how can Rogers be that bad? Yes I know it was just their 2nd game.

Ottoville with 46 Boys - 100
Rogers with 352 Boys - 31

OG drilled St. Francis too.

Combination of things going on

1. Metro Toledo basketball is very weak right now, just look how far BCSN had to stretch to come up with 30 names for their top area players
2. With Covid schedules there are several D3/D4 programs who are getting a chance to schedule bigger schools looking for games
3. These D3/D4 schools are very good
4. Rogers bolstered their roster last year with a couple D1 scholarship transfers who turned around and transferred again for greener pastures
5. Rogers lost 3 other ultra long and athletic players to graduation - now playing JUCO ball

Not faulting the players/ families it has worked out well for them. Neal Arizona State Commit and Coleman picked up multiple D1 offers after heading to Hillcrest Prep. Easter a 3rd Toledo kid attending Hillcrest Prep got an Arizona State offer - I assume he would have ended up at Rogers too.

This goes back to someone's comment about building a program at all levels vs constructing a team for a year or two. Rogers had been consistently good for at least the last 10-15 years until this season when the transfers transferred out.

Last edited:
OG drilled St. Francis too.

Combination of things going on

1. Metro Toledo basketball is very weak right now, just look how far BCSN had to stretch to come up with 30 names for their top area players
2. With Covid schedules there are several D3/D4 programs who are getting a chance to schedule bigger schools looking for games
3. These D3/D4 schools are very good
4. Rogers bolstered their roster last year with a couple D1 scholarship transfers who turned around and transferred again for greener pastures
5. Rogers lost 3 other ultra long and athletic players to graduation - now playing JUCO ball

Not faulting the players/ families it has worked out well for them. Neal Arizona State Commit and Coleman picked up multiple D1 offers after heading to Hillcrest Prep. Easter a 3rd Toledo kid attending Hillcrest Prep got an Arizona State offer - I assume he would have ended up at Rogers too.

This goes back to someone's comment about building a program at all levels vs constructing a team for a year or two. Rogers had been consistently good for at least the last 10-15 years until this season when the transfers transferred out.

Thanks for the background on Rogers, did not know their history.

OG with 181 boys and STF with 383 is not near as big a enrollment difference and the game was somewhat competitive. But it is still an indication of how bad the state of basketball in Toledo right now.

D1 Toledo - Has Findlay played SJJ at all yet? I need to see them play against each other as that seems the likely matchup for this district chip. Southview could also be SJJ's opponent in that game, too. Solid district.

D1 Milbury - Probably the most interesting district in this area IMO. Clay and Northview have played each other twice already, and the Eagles gave NV a scare with that second game. Hard to beat someone three times, but I think the Wildcats win any third game. Of course, this hinges on Clay beating BG. Interesting game to watch.

Ashland vs. Start should be a fun matchup to watch. Either team would give NV some trouble and the rest of us a good game to watch.

The other side of this bracket is interesting but predictable. Is Lima Sr. vs. Perrysburg a matchup that would shake things up, or just another blowout? Come to think of it, who is on Lima Senior that is of note this year? I don't think any of their players made any of the BCSN or Blade teams. Do they just all play good as a team, are the teams they playing not very good (no disrespect), or am I missing something here?

D2 Milbury - Any chance Rogers upsets Rossford? I think TCC could keep up with them but realistically Rossford would win that matchup IMO. Haven't heard a lot about Tiffin Columbian or Sandusky. Are they both teams that could win this district?

D1 Toledo - Has Findlay played SJJ at all yet? I need to see them play against each other as that seems the likely matchup for this district chip. Southview could also be SJJ's opponent in that game, too. Solid district.

D1 Milbury - Probably the most interesting district in this area IMO. Clay and Northview have played each other twice already, and the Eagles gave NV a scare with that second game. Hard to beat someone three times, but I think the Wildcats win any third game. Of course, this hinges on Clay beating BG. Interesting game to watch.

Ashland vs. Start should be a fun matchup to watch. Either team would give NV some trouble and the rest of us a good game to watch.

The other side of this bracket is interesting but predictable. Is Lima Sr. vs. Perrysburg a matchup that would shake things up, or just another blowout? Come to think of it, who is on Lima Senior that is of note this year? I don't think any of their players made any of the BCSN or Blade teams. Do they just all play good as a team, are the teams they playing not very good (no disrespect), or am I missing something here?

D2 Milbury - Any chance Rogers upsets Rossford? I think TCC could keep up with them but realistically Rossford would win that matchup IMO. Haven't heard a lot about Tiffin Columbian or Sandusky. Are they both teams that could win this district?

D1 will be competitive but the teams are not good compared to the rest of the state.

I don't think BCSN included the Lima area in their top 30 teams.

No way Clay beats Northview. They have the ability to snatch defeat from the hands of victory like no other program in the area ;).

Rogers has no chance of beating Rossford. TCC may not be favored vs Rossford, but I could see them beating them. Pretty sure Sandusky lost their starting 5 from last year and are not a threat. Tiffin Columbian was solid last year, but will need to have improved a lot to win the district. No one in the district is as good as last year's Rogers or Sandusky teams. I think it comes down to the Rossford/TCC game.