Toledo Area Basketball 20-21

Happens when your top 8 for next year will all be out of district kids, that's right, not 1 kid who grew up in Rossford will see very much of the floor until the blowouts in the NBC league are out of reach by mid 2nd quarter. Funny how the Rossford staff does nothing complain about the private schools and now they have surpassed them in recruiting, let's see how it translates on the floor. Most ex-Vorst players don't thing he's capable of coaching these kids up to with fat into D2 playoffs. What is his career Rossford record???

It’s pretty solid actually. Especially since coming over to the NBC. He’s 87-39 in the NBC in 9 years. He’s won nearly 120 games overall in last 9 years too. Tough draw having Rogers and Sandusky in your district.

If you build it, they will come. That’s the current Rossford model. Private schools have been doing this for years. It was just a matter of time before public schools w/ open enrollment we’re going to do it. Is it ethical? Eh. Is it legal. Yes.

If you build it, they will come. That’s the current Rossford model. Private schools have been doing this for years. It was just a matter of time before public schools w/ open enrollment we’re going to do it. Is it ethical? Eh. Is it legal. Yes.

What was it they built that attracted these players?

What was it they built that attracted these players?

1592660553973.png

I like the close sightlines. That has to be in the top 50 of NW Ohio basketball courts and field houses. Still surprised that attracted an 8 deep voucher team from out of district.

Be interesting if anyone brings that up at levy time.

Are those football players dressed up as cheerleaders? :LOL:

Most districts burned their cigarette money years ago (see what I did there?). Rossford waited.

They have one open-enrollee who is a very large benefactor at the moment. I believe the dad and coach played college ball together? Shame on Oregon for letting that guy take his kids out of the district.

Rossford would seem to be a pretty logical destination for folks that don't want to ride the pine or play on bad teams in the TRAC/NLL/city, would it not? I would think they'd see plenty of open enrollment and move-ins for athletic purposes from the Eastside, Oregon, Perrysburg, etc.

Rossford would seem to be a pretty logical destination for folks that don't want to ride the pine or play on bad teams in the TRAC/NLL/city, would it not? I would think they'd see plenty of open enrollment and move-ins for athletic purposes from the Eastside, Oregon, Perrysburg, etc.

You insinuating 8 kids who would have ridden the pine somewhere else are all better than the players Rossford already had? Because you just did. ;)

That levy doesn't stand a chance.

Schools will deteriorate. People will leave. Tax revenue will fall. Taxes will be increased. Local businesses will raise prices. My burger at Mo's will cost more. And I'm coming after you all for tilting the first domino.

No I wouldn't see rossford as any more logical than any other voucher school. Less actually. I'm sure all the players made the decision without any help or coordination, for academic reasons. Just one of those extremely ransom random things that happen, like IB paying a debt. :D

You insinuating 8 kids who would have ridden the pine somewhere else are all better than the players Rossford already had? Because you just did. ;)

That levy doesn't stand a chance.

Schools will deteriorate. People will leave. Tax revenue will fall. Taxes will be increased. Local businesses will raise prices. My burger at Mo's will cost more. And I'm coming after you all for tilting the first domino.

No I wouldn't see rossford as any more logical than any other voucher school. Less actually. I'm sure all the players made the decision without any help or coordination, for academic reasons. Just one of those extremely ransom random things that happen, like IB paying a debt. :D

I could be mistaken, but Rossford I would imagine would be a district that would have a shrinking community enrollment and open enrollments (to an extent) are probably a good thing for them financially. Much like some of the privates that have been gobbling up voucher students. How the makeup of the team affects the conscious of the community's voters, I'd take your opinion to be expert to mine.

For being a smaller D2 public school their gym is pretty nice. Paired with their somewhat urban and easily accessible by the highways location and getting to play the podunks in the NBC I could see how it could be appealing for some kids (and their parents) to team up there if they didn't want to go to a smaller private.

You didn't answer the question.

Lol. From what others are saying about the top eight players all originating elsewhere, I would take it that the coach must think all of them are better than the kids that have come up through the system.

I don't think it would take a big stretch of the imagination to think that a grouping of that many kids from the big three leagues around the metro (TRAC, NLL and City) would probably fare pretty well playing against smaller rural schools, especially if a couple of them would have been good players in those bigger leagues.

To the discussion of "teaming up" or "recruiting", I almost don't think anything of it up in your guys area at this point.

Compared to Dayton, Toledo is a much denser/tighter metro area with fewer travel headaches and IMO it's really not that difficult for those who want to do so to go out and stack the deck somewhere, whether it's at a private, a specific TPS school or some smaller public on the edge of the city like Rossford.

Did he just call us "dense?"

How'd he know?

Yeah I see your point. The way the publics go as I see it from my narrow window, the Eastside public tries to jack up its pop by snagging out of districts from fellow north and westside publics (Scott and Wootward), which alienates their own Eastside families who then seek vouchers to the nearby burbs or privates or Magnet schools. More than a few get "sent" back and Waite in turn sends some back who end up at the lowest of the charters or Bowsher. Rossford, Card Stritch, Northwood being the closest districts I imagine grab the most. Oregon doesn't want us so I think the kids actually have to move across the street or pretend to live with Grandma to go there. If Glass City Charter had a b-ball team, they'd probably be top dog. Only school you can go to and smoke in class, so I hear. I hear lots of things.

Interesting that you say that about Clay because if I recall correctly 7-8 years ago a really good eastsider did "live with Grandma" to go there while their younger brother stayed on the Eastside.

With the culture of stacking and recruiting in the area it always seems to me to be incredibly difficult to build up from the bottom at Waite, Scott and Woodward. Once you lose momentum it seems to be a heck of a proposition to regain as nobody seems to have the appetite for a rebuild when they can just jump ship for greener pastures.

That maybe emphasizes the beauty of how Coach Pitsenbarger developed a top ten team at Waite, twice. The second time, he convinced the upper classmen to sacrifice and provided a lot of varsity time to talented freshmen. He still ended up losing one or two players but most of them held together and he was able to put together a team that could compete with anyone and for 3-4 years after that first class graduated. Waite's current coach, Mark and Matt Wortham were part of those upper-class that sacrificed time to build a program. Jeremy McDonald, the excellent Northview coach was part of Pitsenbarger's first run at coach in the late 1990's-early 2000's and his assistant Evan Bauer I believe part of the second.

Clay is an interesting dynamic. Shut off to the rest of the world really and outside of their wrestling program are behind the times. Everyone will tell you that they have to leave the TRAC because they are too small to compete but that is pure BS. If the district could keep their athletes they would be successful. Not to mention they are about the only school I know that does not take advantage of open enrollment one bit. They do not have one football player or basketball player that is an out of district open enrollee. It is amazing how many volleyball players Oregon produces that head across the river and I can name at least 6 college athletes (3 D-I) over the last 5 years who have went elsewhere.

Not to mention the district is broke, just paid all of their Spring Coaches their full stipend, and gave 9% raises (including steps) yet cannot pass a levy.

Great community, great metro-park coupled with a state park, rec facility, and a school system that has been broke for some time.

I do think that Scott is going to start to build up again, at least to the extent of being respectable. The new coach should have the right connections and be able to put together a solid enough staff to be able to fence off the neighborhood from poachers to a stronger extent than what they've been able to do the last few years.

Ok so back to my question before the page flips again, where are good places to see off season basketball? Summer really.

I do think that Scott is going to start to build up again, at least to the extent of being respectable. The new coach should have the right connections and be able to put together a solid enough staff to be able to fence off the neighborhood from poachers to a stronger extent than what they've been able to do the last few years.
Interesting that you say that about Clay because if I recall correctly 7-8 years ago a really good eastsider did "live with Grandma" to go there while their younger brother stayed on the Eastside.

With the culture of stacking and recruiting in the area it always seems to me to be incredibly difficult to build up from the bottom at Waite, Scott and Woodward. Once you lose momentum it seems to be a heck of a proposition to regain as nobody seems to have the appetite for a rebuild when they can just jump ship for greener pastures.
Waite is losing an all city freshman DB and their starting freshman QB Tywaun Clark (also started PG) to Central who knows if they last regardless, how can you build anything with such crippling turnover the reinforcements don’t come as fast for a Waite, Woodward, or Scott

I could be mistaken, but Rossford I would imagine would be a district that would have a shrinking community enrollment and open enrollments (to an extent) are probably a good thing for them financially. Much like some of the privates that have been gobbling up voucher students. How the makeup of the team affects the conscious of the community's voters, I'd take your opinion to be expert to mine.

For being a smaller D2 public school their gym is pretty nice. Paired with their somewhat urban and easily accessible by the highways location and getting to play the podunks in the NBC I could see how it could be appealing for some kids (and their parents) to team up there if they didn't want to go to a smaller private.

I don't think most of the Rossford basketball guys are voucher students. Two from Oregon, two from Evergreen, one from Eastwood. Not sure of the others.

That is just the new reality. It is not as easy for homeowners to move or pay tuition at a private school without the benefit of voucher $$$. I know a lot of people who look into attending private schools only to head back to the public once they see they don't give "full rides" and they still have to come up with $6k-$8K/year for the satisfaction of telling their public school to go "#$%$" themselves. Add in 2 or 3 kids in a family and you can easily get up to $75-$100K in tuition payments. So you have to really be pissed or have a lot of what I call "FU" money.

Plus, the small private schools have upped their level of play. If you can't play at Rossford you will not be able to play at MVCD, TC or Strich, that leaves maybe Emmanual Christian as your only opportunity to "pay" for some playing time if you are a marginal basketball player.

I don't think most of the Rossford basketball guys are voucher students. Two from Oregon, two from Evergreen, one from Eastwood. Not sure of the others.

That is just the new reality. It is not as easy for homeowners to move or pay tuition at a private school without the benefit of voucher $$$. I know a lot of people who look into attending private schools only to head back to the public once they see they don't give "full rides" and they still have to come up with $6k-$8K/year for the satisfaction of telling their public school to go "#$%$" themselves. Add in 2 or 3 kids in a family and you can easily get up to $75-$100K in tuition payments. So you have to really be pissed or have a lot of what I call "FU" money.

Plus, the small private schools have upped their level of play. If you can't play at Rossford you will not be able to play at MVCD, TC or Strich, that leaves maybe Emmanual Christian as your only opportunity to "pay" for some playing time if you are a marginal basketball player.

I think three would be TPS kids. One is the Coach's son. The two from Evergreen live in town now. The Oregon kids are sort of a unique situation with Vorst and their Dad being college roommates and running a travel program together. A lot of talented kids who played for them are at other schools in the area.

Two guards who grew up in Rossford will be in the playing group. One of the wings/bigs has lived in Rossford since junior high.

I don't know what SJJ hands out these days, but it was less than $3,000/year each for my kids 7 or 8 years ago - and they were not athletes.

I think three would be TPS kids. One is the Coach's son. The two from Evergreen live in town now. The Oregon kids are sort of a unique situation with Vorst and their Dad being college roommates and running a travel program together. A lot of talented kids who played for them are at other schools in the area.

Two guards who grew up in Rossford will be in the playing group. One of the wings/bigs has lived in Rossford since junior high.

I don't know what SJJ hands out these days, but it was less than $3,000/year each for my kids 7 or 8 years ago - and they were not athletes.

It is a lot more now unless there is proven financial need.

2017-2018
1592834097071.png

Merit Scholarships
High School Merit Scholarships for New incoming Freshman Fall 2017
96th -99th Percentile $3,000 per year, a total of $12,000

90th - 95th Percentile $1,500 per year, a total of $6,000

80th-89th Percentile $500 per year, a total of $2,000

75th-79th Percentile $250 per year, a total of $1,000

List price is about the same. One got the merit scholarship for scoring well on the placement test. I assume they handed us a discount for the other under the assumption he would score well, too. The need-based aid brought it down to around 3K/year. They offered to increase it to keep us from bringing them back to public school.

It was a positive experience for them: just too hard to make it back and forth for extra-curriculars. Ironically, given the turn this thread has taken, one of them wanted to play a sport at Rossford.

Might have been a one day thing? Second "Gym Rats" link starts with a game between a team called Rock Summit and one called NW Ohio. Recognize anyone?

Summit City Live Video

Edit: I think that game in your twitter can be seen at the 3:38:00 mark

Last edited: