Timeless Rivals: Massillon vs. Canton McKinley Documentary on Amazon Prime

OUcats82

Sorry if that has already been posted but I stumbled onto an enjoyable documentary on Amazon Prime called Timeless Rivals, featuring the history of the Massillon-McKinley rivalry game.

If you are a fan of high school football you should watch it-even if just being able to see the backdrop of how the game has grown and evolved over the years.

One of the more touching takeaways I had from the video was when one of the interviewees was talking about the history of the Massillon boosters. Had mentioned there was a player in I believe the 30s who had gotten sick at practice and all he had thrown up were tomatoes, revealing the real struggle everyone, but especially the players faced having enough good food to eat and led to a program where the it was seen to where the players were given foodstuffs etc.

Any Massillonians know more about this?

Sorry if that has already been posted but I stumbled onto an enjoyable documentary on Amazon Prime called Timeless Rivals, featuring the history of the Massillon-McKinley rivalry game.

If you are a fan of high school football you should watch it-even if just being able to see the backdrop of how the game has grown and evolved over the years.

One of the more touching takeaways I had from the video was when one of the interviewees was talking about the history of the Massillon boosters. Had mentioned there was a player in I believe the 30s who had gotten sick at practice and all he had thrown up were tomatoes, revealing the real struggle everyone, but especially the players faced having enough good food to eat and led to a program where the it was seen to where the players were given foodstuffs etc.

Any Massillonians know more about this?
That was actually one of Paul Browns players that got sick and nothing but Tomatoes came out. From that, team meals were started and an organization called the Sideliners was born. Not sure of the logistics way back then but when I was there a business man from town adopted a player and made sure he made it to team meals the night before games. Helped with school supplies if the players parents couldn't afford it. Would make sure you stayed on the straight and narrow. Great guys all around. I believe in 2012 or 13 The Sideliners were revamped due to some over zealous members.

I don't think so FW, that was the Booster Club he started. Sideliners came about in the 50's and yes, you were assigned a player and mentored him, kinda like Big Brother program. Pretty sure they are still around. Many other programs have something similar today.

I don't think so FW, that was the Booster Club he started. Sideliners came about in the 50's and yes, you were assigned a player and mentored him, kinda like Big Brother program. Pretty sure they are still around. Many other programs have something similar today.
Like I said I wasn't sure of the logistics when it all started back then. I know the story of the Tomatoes and yes I think you are correct that spurned the Booster Club then the Sideliners was an off shoot of that. I still keep in contact with my Sideliner from 29 years ago. LOL!!!

That was actually one of Paul Browns players that got sick and nothing but Tomatoes came out. From that, team meals were started and an organization called the Sideliners was born. Not sure of the logistics way back then but when I was there a business man from town adopted a player and made sure he made it to team meals the night before games. Helped with school supplies if the players parents couldn't afford it. Would make sure you stayed on the straight and narrow. Great guys all around. I believe in 2012 or 13 The Sideliners were revamped due to some over zealous members.
I believe the B.C. also helped out by finding players jobs during the summer. I could be wrong about that however.

Lol. Not bad not bad. Hey I hope you get another chance this year that was fun.
That was a fun game, loved the banter before and after on Yappi. You're not all bad people, just 6 out of 10 of you are, would love a rematch.