Tickets for state qualifiers d3

Absolute B.S. These kids work there butts off for the majority of their lives to showcase their talents to family and friends and the OHSAA can’t find a venue that allows more than 2 spectators per competitor. Complete lack of competence on the part of wrestling director Tyler Brooks. Last week Rossford districts allows 11 spectators on Sunday for all competitors but now you only get 2. Insane if you ask me. Find a venue that would allow more. What an idiot. I guess we have to be thankful the tournament is happening but this is still ridiculous in my mind. I hope that D1 and D2 are held to same ticket amounts to keep it fair to all athletes and families.

The email mentioned something about tickets being redistributed to participating schools? Any idea what that means?

"There will be no spectator tickets allotted specifically to coaches or school administrators. Any tickets in excess of the tickets allotted to the participating wrestlers will be distributed to the participating schools to use as they see fit. These excess tickets could be distributed to participating wrestlers’ families, teammates, coaches, school administrators, etc.

We are still in the process of determining what tickets (if any) can be re-distributed to the participating schools. We will provide an email update on this as soon as it is finalized."

Absolute B.S. These kids work there butts off for the majority of their lives to showcase their talents to family and friends and the OHSAA can’t find a venue that allows more than 2 spectators per competitor. Complete lack of competence on the part of wrestling director Tyler Brooks. Last week Rossford districts allows 11 spectators on Sunday for all competitors but now you only get 2. Insane if you ask me. Find a venue that would allow more. What an idiot. I guess we have to be thankful the tournament is happening but this is still ridiculous in my mind. I hope that D1 and D2 are held to same ticket amounts to keep it fair to all athletes and families.
While I do agree with you that this is BS, I do not put it completely on the OHSAA, they put a call out for schools to host, and word is that some of the schools that are larger that were willing to host only wanted the D1 matches (which is the BS part). My biggest gripe, is they had no trouble locking down UD for basketball in a weeks time, but spent three weeks hoping that a HS would volunteer for WR. To me, they would have been checking with anyone across the state, the goal shouldn't have been tpo stay central like it was for first two weeks of calls for volunteers, they should have been asking anyone and everyone. I am sure if you told someone in NE Ohio they were traveling to Vandalia Butler for DIII WR but they get 6 tickets instead of a measly 2, they would have went and and had no trouble. My biggest gripe is everyone wants to to just say "hey were wrestling and that is better than nothing," and while that is true, we could have our wrestlers wrestling with more of their friends and family in attendance if the OHSAA would have reached out sooner and tried a little harder in securing a bigger venue. I thin the OHSAA is trying and they are doing their best, I just think they waited to late to secure the venue. We all knew the Schott was out back in August, why was there no search at this point

After 20 plus years of coaching, the hardest/saddest thing I had to do was turn the car around after receiving a text that the state tournament had ben canceled. My two wrestlers, one a projected placer and one who wrestled his greatest tournament of his life to qualify for State had/have to deal with that. Congrats to All the qualifiers this year have a great State tournament this year, all you selfish ungrateful spectators just go away!

After 20 plus years of coaching, the hardest/saddest thing I had to do was turn the car around after receiving a text that the state tournament had ben canceled. My two wrestlers, one a projected placer and one who wrestled his greatest tournament of his life to qualify for State had/have to deal with that. Congrats to All the qualifiers this year have a great State tournament this year, all you selfish ungrateful spectators just go away!

My son was also sent back home last year. Absolutely heartbreaking.... As far as selfish, ungratefu;l spectators JUST GO AWAY..... WE/TRHEY are ALREADY AWAY... Because no F&^%*#$ one is allowed to attend, !

We need to stop apologizing for the OHSAA. They have done a terrible job. Let alone the fact that they didn't need to cancel the event last season, they had an entire year to plan for any scenario and come up with a venue for this season. This is the same organization that allowed every team in Ohio to qualify for the playoffs in football so they could collect more cash on the playoff games. Every decision that they make revolves around profit. They dropped the ball, and it almost seems that at this point, they are purposely thinking of creative ways to make this event as dull as possible. High school gym, no podium appearance for kids that have literally been rolling around together... and what's the big deal with the tickets? It's Tuesday and everyone is still in the dark about how many tickets they can purchase? As if travel plans, hotel rooms, work accommodations, child care, etc... isn't something that people need to plan for.

So, let's stop acting like we are just so lucky to be allowed to wrestle at all. Of course we should be wrestling, and the OHSAA should have also secured a better venue, allowing for more tickets and they should have done everything in their power to make this as special as possible for the kids. That's their job.

We need to stop apologizing for the OHSAA. They have done a terrible job. Let alone the fact that they didn't need to cancel the event last season, they had an entire year to plan for any scenario and come up with a venue for this season. This is the same organization that allowed every team in Ohio to qualify for the playoffs in football so they could collect more cash on the playoff games. Every decision that they make revolves around profit. They dropped the ball, and it almost seems that at this point, they are purposely thinking of creative ways to make this event as dull as possible. High school gym, no podium appearance for kids that have literally been rolling around together... and what's the big deal with the tickets? It's Tuesday and everyone is still in the dark about how many tickets they can purchase? As if travel plans, hotel rooms, work accommodations, child care, etc... isn't something that people need to plan for.

So, let's stop acting like we are just so lucky to be allowed to wrestle at all. Of course we should be wrestling, and the OHSAA should have also secured a better venue, allowing for more tickets and they should have done everything in their power to make this as special as possible for the kids. That's their job.

THANK YOU!! FINALLY SOME SAID IT!!!! Its atrocious.

There is a podium for the kids, and no one is in the dark about how many tickets they can purchase. All qualifying schools know exactly how many tickets they can purchase and how to do so.

There is a podium for the kids, and no one is in the dark about how many tickets they can purchase. All qualifying schools know exactly how many tickets they can purchase and how to do so.
Well... I talked to our AD today and they haven't yet received word on tickets.... and in the "tournament information" it clearly states "there will be no group podium presentations".... which is pretty obvious considering that they separated the finals from the other sessions, and kids who placed in the other sessions and the spectators that accompany those kids won't even be allowed in the gym during the finals matches. So, no... the kids will not make a podium appearance together. That's the point right? Not saying that they won't have some podium out in the hall where and kid can stand by himself on his number. What a magical moment that would be.

Well... I talked to our AD today and they haven't yet received word on tickets.... and in the "tournament information" it clearly states "there will be no group podium presentations".... which is pretty obvious considering that they separated the finals from the other sessions, and kids who placed in the other sessions and the spectators that accompany those kids won't even be allowed in the gym during the finals matches. So, no... the kids will not make a podium appearance together. That's the point right? Not saying that they won't have some podium out in the hall where and kid can stand by himself on his number. What a magical moment that would be.

Sure i guess it's a more "magical moment" to be up on the podium with other people, but you get your picture on the podium, they photoshop the others in, the end result is the same. a picture with all the other placers. much ado about nothing to me.

AMEN!!! tired of all the "lets be happy we are wrestling!"

ask the wrestlers who qualified for state last year if a photo is a concern.
So, since the OHSAA canceled everything last year... for now on everyone should just be grateful to have been allowed to compete in sports?

If you live by that theory, I guess if someone punches you in the stomach when they walk past you, you should be grateful. The guy ahead of you got kicked in the nuts. Be thankful that you only got punched in the stomach. Anything better than a kick in the nuts has now become a blessing.

Again... you are letting OHSAA off the hook for canceling the event last year, which was COMPLETELY based on financial reasons. So, since they canceled last year, no matter how terrible of a job they do from here on out... at least we are allowed to wrestle? That's what we've become?

My oldest had his favorite sport (baseball) canceled last season too. His senior year... didn't even get to have a season, let alone a post season. Played with the same kids since TBall and had a really special group of kids that were set to do big things. It was terrible that it happened and I feel horrible for him and his team. However, that doesn't mean that I'm perfectly okay with the OHSAA doing a half job this year.

So, since the OHSAA canceled everything last year... for now on everyone should just be grateful to have been allowed to compete in sports?

If you live by that theory, I guess if someone punches you in the stomach when they walk past you, you should be grateful. The guy ahead of you got kicked in the nuts. Be thankful that you only got punched in the stomach. Anything better than a kick in the nuts has now become a blessing.

Again... you are letting OHSAA off the hook for canceling the event last year, which was COMPLETELY based on financial reasons. So, since they canceled last year, no matter how terrible of a job they do from here on out... at least we are allowed to wrestle? That's what we've become?

My oldest had his favorite sport (baseball) canceled last season too. His senior year... didn't even get to have a season, let alone a post season. Played with the same kids since TBall and had a really special group of kids that were set to do big things. It was terrible that it happened and I feel horrible for him and his team. However, that doesn't mean that I'm perfectly okay with the OHSAA doing a half job this year.

The governor cancelled the tournament last year, not the OHSAA.

Unless you mean they shouldve just kept postponing the tournament until such a time as they were allowed to have it in the late summer/fall.

The governor cancelled the tournament last year, not the OHSAA.

Unless you mean they shouldve just kept postponing the tournament until such a time as they were allowed to have it in the late summer/fall.
You are full of misinformation. The tournament was effectively canceled as soon as they "postponed" it the first time. They didn't need to postpone the tournament at that time. Remember, just a few days before they postponed the tournament, we were wrestling the district tournament as usual. The OHSAA simply didn't want to have the tournament without being able to rake in all of the money from attendance. This was even after they had already came up with and approved a plan B where every kid was getting 4 tickets and the tournament was still on. They decided not to go ahead with the tournament that week because they wanted to make more money. Go take a look at how many other states canceled their HS State tournament last year.

Last edited:
You are full of misinformation. The governor didn't cancel the tournament. Not a single restriction had been handed down yet. The tournament was effectively canceled as soon as they "postponed" it the first time. They didn't need to postpone the tournament at that time, and at the time, the governor hadn't even suggested that they do so. Remember, just a few days before they postponed the tournament, we were wrestling the district tournament as usual. The OHSAA simply didn't want to have the tournament without being able to rake in all of the money from attendance. This was even after they had already came up with and approved a plan B where every kid was getting 4 tickets and the tournament was still on. They decided not to go ahead with the tournament that week because they wanted to make more money. Go take a look at how many other states canceled their HS State tournament last year.

"The announcement was made after state and local officials recommended that no public gatherings take place to help stop the spread of the virus."

OK, you got me. the governor recommended it, not ordered it. But you're wrong that he hadn't suggested is, as the above link shows. The NBA had already cancelled, PA had already cancelled, the MAC already cancelled, so the OHSAA, a bunch of athletic directors and sport administrators, were supposed to go against the recommendations of the governor and state health officials? At a time when no one knew anything?

Big ask.

"The announcement was made after state and local officials recommended that no public gatherings take place to help stop the spread of the virus."

OK, you got me. the governor recommended it, not ordered it. But you're wrong that he hadn't suggested is, as the above link shows. The NBA had already cancelled, PA had already cancelled, the MAC already cancelled, so the OHSAA, a bunch of athletic directors and sport administrators, were supposed to go against the recommendations of the governor and state health officials? At a time when no one knew anything?

Big ask.
We are going down a pointless wormhole. The point is that what happened last year, shouldn't affect their commitment to do their job this year. You really think they put their best effort forward and this is the best that could be done?

We are going down a pointless wormhole. The point is that what happened last year, shouldn't affect their commitment to do their job this year. You really think they put their best effort forward and this is the best that could be done?
Guru... you are spot on with everything you said. Hammer should probably do a bit more research. Covid F’d up a lot of stuff last winter/spring/summer but many wrestling organizations figured stuff out by fall and adjusted. Many BIG tournaments went on without issue and Myrtle Beach sold a ton of dip’n dots.