Three Rivers Conference 2018-2019

Lots of activity this time of year. Not sure who saw the St Francis vs. TCC game the other night.

St Francis is rounding into form and Jamiya Neal is really starting to mature. If they get a third shot at Whitmer to get to the Regional Semis, watch out...

Lima Senior, Whitmer, St. Francis, St. Johns, Findlay and even Central Catholic are all gonna be tough outs. The TRAC was the poster child for parity at the top of the league.. Any of the aforementioned teams can make a district finals/regional run..

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

and change the seeding and bidding and a different winner might come out. It's about match-ups. I'll laugh if it's none of them.

and change the seeding and bidding and a different winner might come out. It's about match-ups. I'll laugh if it's none of them.

Almost wasn't!

Figured might as well wrap up the thread with hindsight comments?

Doesn't look as if talent, at least team talent was down as much as thought, by the end of season. The Labrons probably too much for anyone not Moeller so not shame there. If Lima has gotten in, SJJ would at least been able to say they beat two final fours!

How do people think the TRAC and NLL (and Start) compared to state by end of season?

What’s the thoughts on SJJ having a player quit during the season and now having the best player and a key reserve transfer out. Very unlike SJJ hoops.

What’s the thoughts on SJJ having a player quit during the season and now having the best player and a key reserve transfer out. Very unlike SJJ hoops.

This must be one of those "I'm in the know but don't want to say I'm in the know" posts. Why be coy?

Care to fill in the details?

Caleb Smith who transferred from Rogers to SJJ last year is presently enrolled back at Rogers. The Kimmons kid is heading back to his home district Springfield. The Jarret kid quit in season and frosh starter Jump went back to his home district Southview.

Last edited:
There are 3 other guys who were playing with St. Johns varsity team last summer who were/are not with them now. One due to illness and 2 others transferred to Stritch.

So about 1/2 (7) of their projected team left in a year.

It does raise a valid question; What is going on?

I know they have a very strong 8th grade class. Almost seems like the house cleaning that takes place when a new coach starts at a college.

I think the bigger question is what's going on at Stritch. The excuse last season was coincidence, once in a life-time, aligning of the stars....

Caleb Smith who transferred from Rogers to SJJ last year is presently enrolled back at Rogers. The Kimmons kid is heading back to his home district Springfield. The Jarret kid quit in season and frosh starter Jump went back to his home district Southview.

He stayed long enough for basketball season. What's the complaint? lol

How does this set his situation for next year?

Jump, sounds a familiar name. Was that an area coach?

I think the bigger question is what's going on at Stritch. The excuse last season was coincidence, once in a life-time, aligning of the stars....

He stayed long enough for basketball season. What's the complaint? lol

How does this set his situation for next year?

Jump, sounds a familiar name. Was that an area coach?

His dad is Marc Jump, former Southview head coach.

SJ needs a revamp. There is no reason that school should not be THE dominant area Catholic in every sport.

Who is Roger's coach? Same guy as last year? They already return some serious talent. Will the Smith kid have to sit again? Second half this time?

Speaking of SJ grads, I hear CCHS picked up a big get? Local legend bloodlines. If the kid is half as good as dad and grandfather look out.

Speaking of SJ grads, I hear CCHS picked up a big get? Local legend bloodlines. If the kid is half as good as dad and grandfather look out.

I also heard Shane Komives was going to be an assistant coach at TCC. I have not seen his son play in 3 or 4 years, but you can count on him being able to shoot.

Last edited:

Like I mentioned before, Land of Misfit Toys.

When it doesn't work out with their current school Stritch gets a 2nd look. It seems to work out pretty well for guys who want a smaller, family atmosphere and plan to play basketball in college.

5 guys will be playing in college this up coming season, 2 more will likely get a shot the season after that and Adams just finished up a nice career at Tiffin.

:laugh::laugh: waddafinjoke

Hey IB, we have another recruiternotcomfortableinhisskin. Why can't they just be comfortable in their skin to admit what they're doing. It's like the old SJJ days on the huddle. Pretty much the same routine and the same... eh, 20-20 vision.

:laugh::laugh: waddafinjoke

Do you know anything about any of these guys situations?

1st kid never smelled the floor at SJJ last summer. He saw the writing on the wall. His dad works with a Stritch parent and asked about the experience.

2nd kid is close friends with the 1st kid. At SJJ he was told "Boy, sit on the bench and don't get up unless I tell you to fetch me a water." Again, saw the writing on the wall.

With SFS and TCC having a lot of depth Stritch is a logical landing point for guys who want to continue playing high school ball at a pretty high level, but might not have a chance at their original school.

They are not having varsity impact guys transferring these are freshman and JV guys. Would you rather they just play intramural ball?

:laugh:You justifying to me or to yourself? You don't need to justify to me.

There are MANY, MANY options for these poor kids to play quality ball. Remember, it was Start that out-lasted the field. Northview that went undefeated. There is far better coaching then they will get at Stritch at schools that do not cost a dime and provide equal or better education. People get to send their kids whereever they want. They do not have to justify to anyone how they spend their money. I'm presuming that they are spending their full tuition money but again, no ones' biz. But let's have the honesty to call it what it is. Whether it be to SJJ, to Stritch or any open enrollment. It's kids gathering (and being encouraged to gather) for the purpose of sports. It's not coaching that made that team. It was construction. Even at that, they seemed to under-achieve but with experience, as this miracle of coincidence continues to occur, maybe the coaching will grow into the talent.

Huh, I would have never thought of a final four run as underachieving.

Smalls, don't bother arguing with east, he seems to have started drinking Hecky's pond water again.

Lost some flavor when they cleaned it.

That's not arguing, that's polite discourse. You must be a westsider. Pinky out?

Lost some flavor when they cleaned it.

That's not arguing, that's polite discourse. You must be a westsider. Pinky out?

That was the oil seeping from all the mini-bikes that were stolen and ghost ridden into the darn thing.

I will give Stritch a pass and see where they go from here. I know a couple kids from last years team that were essentially forced to leave their dumpster fire public and as 8th graders and frosh no one really wanted. Had they been wanted they'd a wound up at the Big 3. They went to Stritch because they felt the fit was right, not because they were pulled there. Go back even 4 years and Stritch was not powerhouse by ANY means. Austin Adams was good, he had upside, but would have struggled in the TRAC. Then you have Holifield, whose dad is best buds with the coach, and Anderson who did not play organized 8th grade basketball. It really was an alignment of the stars of misfits (minus Holifield). A coach "finds" a Little Anderson once in his career. I really like that story, CS took Anderson before they thought he was worth anything athletically.

Like I said, it will be interesting to see where it goes from here. Survival mode kicks in and they may exploit this uptick (and Holifield). If they start turning those away that have no funds yet cannot jump high and dribble then I'll have issues just like the rest.

Go back even 4 years and Stritch was not powerhouse by ANY means.

That's what would start any eye-balls rolling, a team suddenly changes coach AND demographic... Now if the whole school had suddenly changed demographic. As for the "dumpster fire public" public, we've had that discussion and in the past you've agreed, if more stayed and fought instead of ..... immigrated, ;), those fires would go out. It was those publics that at one time had the perfect SATs. There's nothing heroic about going clear across town to join a basketball team. But again, it's their money..

Maybe Stritch would like to exercise their Christian mandate and take-in those kids making those publics "dumpster fires?" Show the world how they are suddenly better at teaching or morality building. Waite, the nearest urban public I believe runs about a 70-80% poverty (or whatever they call it these days) rate, an over 20% disability rate and the publics get called out on civil rights when they suspend repeated offenders. Stritch could take those struggling personalities in and make the world a better place... Where should a Christian school's focus be is part of the discussion, same as it was for SJJ.

If this was SJJ or Central, you wouldn't be giving it such an easy pass, you haven't in the past. You would give scrutiny. Stars aligning is a fun story. Stars pounded into place, not so much. Smalls called recent success stars aligning, a fluke but now wants to claim that's continuing to happen? Just some passive occurrence? Ok fine. Just don't pass it as if it's believable and insult intelligences. These things do not happen in vacuums. People see. People talk. Social media is everywhere. Accept how it's being done and don't insult.

Choosing a school for academics is not given the same scrutiny. But we do not see these kids giving up sports to put more focus on their academics. We can only presume how long they'd stay if they didn't get court time. As long as Stritch stays within OHSAA rules, there's no problem from outside observation. If internally leadership is not equitably making the school accessible to non-athletics interested kids from other demographics trying to escape their "dumpster fire public," then that's an internal issue.

West? I stand corrected, you are a true south of the northside Eastsider. (eh hem, about 20 degrees west.... of true north. Most call that north)

How is this guy going to give advice on basketball if he can't even use a protractor and a compass. IB went to private school and even he can use a protractor. Assuming, no real-life observation. Let's see your profile says favorite school is... YIKES, Clay? Well Kettle, no smelling the fumes out there is there? But extra points for admitting it.

I stand by smalls "land of misfits" comment and will wait and see with Stritch. I do not wish to throw anyone's stuff out into the street but I know of three kids who started on this past years Final 4 team who just ended up in Coach Kachmerek's lap. Add the fact that Holifield's dad and the coach have a relationship well there you have the fourth kid.

Speaking of Eaglesrize, will the Wagonfeld kid be the best player in the TRAC next year? That kid is a handful. I guess it depends where Neal ends up, if he’s back at SFS or not.

This thread became interesting since I last visited. At any rate, why the criticism of Stritch? Interesting stuff has been going on in Toledo for years to the point it's cgone all the way to Genoa. Big deal, and applaud the excellence.