Three Rivers Athletic Conference (TRAC) 2020-2021

^^^Northview played a home game Sat. vs Emmanuel Christian.

NORTHVIEW 73, EMMANUEL CHRISTIAN 55
Northview returned from Lucas County’s coronavirus pause with an 18-point home victory over Emmanuel Christian.
Sean Craig had 16 points and 12 rebounds to pace the Wildcats (4-0). Jared Matuszewski had 12 points, Brendon Sharp 10 points, and Justin Noe nine points and 12 rebounds.
Jayden Sims scored 27 of his 34 points in the second half for the Warriors (3-2).

Not a very good weekend for the Findlay Trojans. While they played some good competition, you would hope they would have gotten one out of the two games. They have some good athletes but seem to lack to any chance to showcase it. Would be nice to see them spread teams out and move the ball a bit more.

Not a very good weekend for the Findlay Trojans. While they played some good competition, you would hope they would have gotten one out of the two games. They have some good athletes but seem to lack to any chance to showcase it. Would be nice to see them spread teams out and move the ball a bit more.
Watched both games it seem majority of offense is guys going one on one and trying to beat their guy. No one posting anyone up. Is the Montgomery kid out for the year from the football injury? Seems like a long recovery for a non-surgery knee injury.

They seem like a better team when they are full court trapping but don't seem to do that very often.

Watched both games it seem majority of offense is guys going one on one and trying to beat their guy. No one posting anyone up. Is the Montgomery kid out for the year from the football injury? Seems like a long recovery for a non-surgery knee injury.

They seem like a better team when they are full court trapping but don't seem to do that very often.
From the rumors floating around the Findlay area, it sounds like Montgomery will be out the whole season. And agreed about the offense, very one on one oriented and also agree when Findlay gets out and pressures teams they seem to do well. Especially with their lack of size and trouble rebounding, you would think more pressure would be in their game plans in the near future.

Back from watching the CCHS at SJJ tilt tonight. Always thought Hornbeak was the top 2023 in the area, Chico Johnson leveled the playing field tonight. The overall talent level in the area is at an all-time low on top of some of the lowest IQ play I’ve ever seen.

sportsguy11,

Interesting to note that this "lost weekend" for the Findlay Trojans was identical for the same weekend last season.

Last season they lost to Lima Sr. on Friday night and then to Ottawa-Glandorf on Saturday night. The Trojans were
7-2 entering the weekend and ended the weekend at 7-4.

This season they again lost to Lima Sr. on Friday and then to Ottawa-Glandorf on Saturday. This season the Trojans
were 6-1 entering the weekend and ended the week at 6-3. Maybe the team watched "Groundhog Day" on Thursday night
this year lol.

I'm sure Findlay will bounce back from the weekend and end up with a good season. I watched the replay of the Lima Sr game and the Trojans definitely have some talented players and I have always respected their coach over the years. I really felt old as I watched guard Jake Bishop getting some playing time for the Trojans Friday night. It seemed like only yesterday that I was watching his father ,Marc Bishop, star at Elida HS for four years. If Jake is anywhere close to the player his father was, Findlay will be very happy with this young man in the coming years.

Not wanting to pour salt into an open wound for Findlay's bad weekend, but after Friday and Saturday nights' tough losses,
on Sunday night, Findlay fans had to watch favorite son, Ben Roethlisberger and the Steelers get knocked out of the playoffs by the Browns. Kind of strange that Roethlisberger's father, who was also a star athlete at Elida HS saw his son end up playing for Findlay HS.

JB

Back from watching the CCHS at SJJ tilt tonight. Always thought Hornbeak was the top 2023 in the area, Chico Johnson leveled the playing field tonight. The overall talent level in the area is at an all-time low on top of some of the lowest IQ play I’ve ever seen.
It is as bad as I've ever seen it. I watched AW/NView pre shut down and they both have starters that appear to be the type of kids who pick up a basketball in November and drop it in March. Northview is one of the top teams in the area and I believe they have 2 kids who start or play significantly who would not make an area varsity team 20 years ago. To your point it is basketball IQ. The McWhinnie kid has a HIGH basketball IQ but he'd a been just another good kid from the area pre-2010. I watch these kids and they do not understand simple basketball concepts you learn simply from playing all of the time. Things such as where to move, using screens, pick & rolls, how to position your body, etc.

The Blade pulled stories from 30 years ago recently and highlighted them. One was 1991 St. Francis at Waite. The Knights won a close one by 7 at a "sold out" Murray Field House. That game had 8 future DI kids on the floor and Waite's gigantic fieldhouse was packed to the gills. I saw Murray Fieldhouse full up one other time and that was 1993 SJ vs SF. Otherwise that is one tough place to fill.

Another was 1991 Libbey vs. Scott at Savage (UT). Scott won 72-70 before an estimated 8,000. That is right, 8,000 fans for two public school teams form Toledo.

The TCL preview came out today and most teams "big" man is 6'2"/6'3". I think there is ONE 6'6" kid in the league. Each team used to have a couple 6'4"-6'6" kids and a bunch of others who could flat out play.

I am not exaggerating when I say that there were JV teams pre-2010 from the area that would be the top varsity team in the area today.

Brain drain in full effect.

My how the times have changed.

sportsguy11,

Interesting to note that this "lost weekend" for the Findlay Trojans was identical for the same weekend last season.

Last season they lost to Lima Sr. on Friday night and then to Ottawa-Glandorf on Saturday night. The Trojans were
7-2 entering the weekend and ended the weekend at 7-4.

This season they again lost to Lima Sr. on Friday and then to Ottawa-Glandorf on Saturday. This season the Trojans
were 6-1 entering the weekend and ended the week at 6-3. Maybe the team watched "Groundhog Day" on Thursday night
this year lol.

I'm sure Findlay will bounce back from the weekend and end up with a good season. I watched the replay of the Lima Sr game and the Trojans definitely have some talented players and I have always respected their coach over the years. I really felt old as I watched guard Jake Bishop getting some playing time for the Trojans Friday night. It seemed like only yesterday that I was watching his father ,Marc Bishop, star at Elida HS for four years. If Jake is anywhere close to the player his father was, Findlay will be very happy with this young man in the coming years.

Not wanting to pour salt into an open wound for Findlay's bad weekend, but after Friday and Saturday nights' tough losses,
on Sunday night, Findlay fans had to watch favorite son, Ben Roethlisberger and the Steelers get knocked out of the playoffs by the Browns. Kind of strange that Roethlisberger's father, who was also a star athlete at Elida HS saw his son end up playing for Findlay HS.

JB
The real salt in the wound is that Findlay's next two games against TSJ and TCC are postponed.

I'm hearing that Findlay knowingly played a player against Lima Sr (Friday) and OG (Saturday) that had Covid which lead Lima Sr and OG to push several games coming up out until Feb. Anyone have any information on this?

I'm hearing that Findlay knowingly played a player against Lima Sr (Friday) and OG (Saturday) that had Covid which lead Lima Sr and OG to push several games coming up out until Feb. Anyone have any information on this?
So that's why they cancelled their games against CC and SJJ?

I am not exaggerating when I say that there were JV teams pre-2010 from the area that would be the top varsity team in the area today.

Brain drain in full effect.

My how the times have changed.

The glory days of yesteryear are over. There are just a lot fewer kids in the metro area with the talent being more spread out with the suburbs and smaller privates like Toledo Christian and Stritch. Add in greater emphasis on other sports such as soccer and the "brain drain" of having a much wider variety of time wasting leisure technologies, and it probably shouldn't be any surprise that the quality of play is far below the 80s, 90s, and 2000s into the early 2010s.

Have not heard anything but, if true, those who knew should be fired. Also, didn't help did it?

Seems like a rumor. I find it very hard to believe that a kid could test positive for COVID and then get away with playing TWO games without somebody (parents, coaches, friends, teammates, administration) saying something about it.

Knowingly playing a kid with a virus that has caused a global pandemic would be a fireable offense and I highly doubt the coaches or administration at Findlay would do that. My guess is that the kid tested positive after the 2 games were played. Seems like the logical explanation.

Hey, would you look at that? Central finally beat St. Francis for the first time in a longgg time!

Was a little confused at first, mainly because they did not put Crumby in at any time during the game (probably because it's designated as a non-conference game, I guess), but imo St. Francis Basketball is gonna suffer from everyone graduating next year. Seeing who they have lined up compared to nearly everyone else in the private groups (I think Findlay could definitely beat them, too), they could be out-played in those matchups. We'll see what happens next year but losing by 16 to a younger, maturing Central team sure spells out something interesting for the Knights.

I watched Rossford beat St. Francis by 11. Rossford had the two best players on the floor tonight and 3 of the top 4.

St. Francis has the worst shot selection I have ever seen........bar none, not even close.

I watched Rossford beat St. Francis by 11. Rossford had the two best players on the floor tonight and 3 of the top 4.

St. Francis has the worst shot selection I have ever seen........bar none, not even close.

Not sure how they can't either get Cli'Ron the ball in the post or wide open shots for their perimeter guys. Seems like you ought to be able to get one or the other.

Also, why does the freshman start? Rossford has two sophomore guards that outplayed him in the JV game.

Also, why does the freshman start? Rossford has two sophomore guards that outplayed him in the JV game.
If you're talking about Syroka, he should be a Junior but he has been held back multiple times. AFAIK, he got kicked out of SJJ for throwing those huge house parties during the football season even after the school told him to stop. I guess he starts because he can handle the ball, but that can only do so much, and it sounds like he didn't do a whole lot that game. Did Crumby play at all?

If you're talking about Syroka, he should be a Junior but he has been held back multiple times. AFAIK, he got kicked out of SJJ for throwing those huge house parties during the football season even after the school told him to stop. I guess he starts because he can handle the ball, but that can only do so much, and it sounds like he didn't do a whole lot that game. Did Crumby play at all?
Played some in the 4th quarter.

Played some in the 4th quarter.
This is weird as heck. Did Crumby get into some trouble at school or something? He should definitely be playing above Syroka, and it isn't helping the team to not play him. A disciplinary issue would make sense, but Lewis simply making a personnel decision would be insane.

This is weird as heck. Did Crumby get into some trouble at school or something? He should definitely be playing above Syroka, and it isn't helping the team to not play him. A disciplinary issue would make sense, but Lewis simply making a personnel decision would be insane.
He's been hurt. They wanted to limit his minutes last night.

Very weird.

When this group was frosh & sophs I got a chance to watch them on JV (Kizer, Crumby, etc.) and they were darn good. Played great D, moved the ball, unselfish, went inside.

Today, with a couple bigs (6'9 and 6'7) they just stand around the 3 point arc and chuck it? Any inside out game with those bigs? Too much talent to gel? Bad attitudes? There has to be something more than what we are seeing because as a good buddy tells me they are definitely an "all-airport team."

Very weird.

When this group was frosh & sophs I got a chance to watch them on JV (Kizer, Crumby, etc.) and they were darn good. Played great D, moved the ball, unselfish, went inside.

Today, with a couple bigs (6'9 and 6'7) they just stand around the 3 point arc and chuck it? Any inside out game with those bigs? Too much talent to gel? Bad attitudes? There has to be something more than what we are seeing because as a good buddy tells me they are definitely an "all-airport team."

Lots of pick and roll with Hornbeak. Rossford hedged pretty hard on the ball screens and rotated well to cover Cli'Ron. They also have two post players who are 260-270 lbs who were able to battle with him inside.

I haven't seen SFS much, but I can promise you Rossford's coaches have and probably knew that Crumby wouldn't play a lot and planned accordingly. Playing in the NBC allows them to spend plenty of time prepping for the big teams on the schedule and possible tournament opponents.

I will say that Rossford's defense is much improved.

Lots of pick and roll with Hornbeak. Rossford hedged pretty hard on the ball screens and rotated well to cover Cli'Ron. They also have two post players who are 260-270 lbs who were able to battle with him inside.

I haven't seen SFS much, but I can promise you Rossford's coaches have and probably knew that Crumby wouldn't play a lot and planned accordingly. Playing in the NBC allows them to spend plenty of time prepping for the big teams on the schedule and possible tournament opponents.

I will say that Rossford's defense is much improved.
You do not have to tell me Rossford is good, I know they are, and am aware of their personnel and coaching.

My question is an ask to SF fans (if any)? With as good as Rossford is, and as well as they are coached, SF should still be a tough win if at all. SF has underperformed all year.

Very weird.

Was at the game and could not believe the shot selection, re-watched it at home to see if my eyes we deceiving me......but they were not.

SFS did not take a 2 point shot until 6:00 mark of 2nd quarter......1st 10 min of the game and every shot was from 3 (not making them). In the entire 1st half they took 3 shots that were not beyond the arc. They got fouled 2-3 times in the post, but not considered an attempt since they missed the shot while being fouled.

For those who do not have BCSN.