Three Rivers Athletic Conference (TRAC) 2019-2020

Wortham's kids seem to work REALLY hard for him and he has not had the 6'6" blue chippers in his tenure yet.
If the Toledo City League ever becomes a single school sport, meaning boys basketball players would flock to Start, I believe Matt has the X and O skills and leadership to get teams deep into playoff runs. Next few years you'll see less recruiting from Stritch, SFS, SJJ, MVCD and Rossford but more from CCHS. With things unsettled at Whitmer I think that could really benefit Start.

Others rise to the occasion. but yeah, caliber of ball would go up. Still have to get by Lima.

Same that bald kid in Sylvania. I don't know what they have in development but a few families will move their kids out there to be coached by him. Martin, hard for me to tell. It seemed like that team finally got it together late. There was a learning curve for the coach. Where on the board we (me) said very early on he needed to develop depth at the PG, he didn't. And it cost particularly after injury. He needs to listen to the fanbase and do what they (I) want.

Wortham: also to remember he lost one of his stronger players halfway through. More power to him to let that kid play, knowing he wasn't going to be around for play-offs. In football, the kid could get play-off points. In b-ball, he just takes a development spot. I think there's been a coach or two wouldn't have given that kid a place.

All three of those coaches handle themselves so well. I'd prefer a little chair throwing. I kind of laugh at what Big Earl did (blaming players not cool though). It's not like he stood at center court stomping his foot again, and again, and again.... :D

and again

Tyler Ulis has some Lima roots. He was a student in the Lima Shawnee school system and his mother was a very good
HS player at Lima Senior. His grandmother and I were co-workers in Lima back in the mid 80's.

He was destined for stardom by the time he was a freshman at Lima Shawnee, but the coach at Lima Shawnee at that time had an unwritten rule that he never started a freshman, no matter how good they were.

JB

Good old Don Vogt. What a character he was. Ran the program in the ground and set them back years. They had some decent players who were stuck in bad situations

With the Central Catholic girls job open, makes me wonder if that might draw a few applicants from some of the boys openings. Guess time will tell.

How about the shifting landscape in small division NW Ohio boys and girls hoops? Toledo Christian I believe has a few of their more talented kids back in the boys program. On the girls side, you have Davis who is a national recruit, Davis younger sister and the Northwood/Lake star will both be freshman in the fall, boy how the times have changed.

With the Central Catholic girls job open, makes me wonder if that might draw a few applicants from some of the boys openings. Guess time will tell.

How about the shifting landscape in small division NW Ohio boys and girls hoops? Toledo Christian I believe has a few of their more talented kids back in the boys program. On the girls side, you have Davis who is a national recruit, Davis younger sister and the Northwood/Lake star will both be freshman in the fall, boy how the times have changed.

I assume Brayden (Northwood/Lake) will end up at Notre Dame where her older sister plays volleyball.

TC will be good on both the boys and girls side. As long as Kachmarik is at Stritch they will be good. Maybe not final 4 good, but will challenge for district titles. They have a lot of young, raw talent that with some hard work and discipline could be pretty special.

CCHS found their niche. They were the first local Catholic to realize they could no longer rely on Catholic kids for enrollment and therefore reinvented themselves as a local football/basketball power. They used old money to build great facilities and attract top local talent.

SF/SJ have ZERO identity anymore. They both are stuck between CCHS and their former selves. They are almost afraid to sell out and go full on football/basketball because they still get tuition payers for the country club sports such as water polo, rowing, and golf that they fear will leave if they slant too far the other way. You no longer see alums sending their kids these schools like you did a generation ago. It is really weird. There USED to be SF and SJ families and they are all but gone or at least have simply moved onto the suburbs. I now see Harshman's playing for Southview and Dzerwia's playing for Otsego. That did not happen a generation ago.

I think many families realize that there is a real benefit to attending the smaller private schools who much like CCHS realized they had to change their model to a degree to be successful. It used to be in order to attend a D-I college you had to play D-I HS. Not anymore, especially with the AAU summer circuit. The appeal of family atmosphere and you get to play right away sells. Especially for basketball (see Stritch/MVCD/TC).

CCHS found their niche. They were the first local Catholic to realize they could no longer rely on Catholic kids for enrollment and therefore reinvented themselves as a local football/basketball power. They used old money to build great facilities and attract top local talent.

SF/SJ have ZERO identity anymore. They both are stuck between CCHS and their former selves. They are almost afraid to sell out and go full on football/basketball because they still get tuition payers for the country club sports such as water polo, rowing, and golf that they fear will leave if they slant too far the other way. You no longer see alums sending their kids these schools like you did a generation ago. It is really weird. There USED to be SF and SJ families and they are all but gone or at least have simply moved onto the suburbs. I now see Harshman's playing for Southview and Dzerwia's playing for Otsego. That did not happen a generation ago.

I think many families realize that there is a real benefit to attending the smaller private schools who much like CCHS realized they had to change their model to a degree to be successful. It used to be in order to attend a D-I college you had to play D-I HS. Not anymore, especially with the AAU summer circuit. The appeal of family atmosphere and you get to play right away sells. Especially for basketball (see Stritch/MVCD/TC).

Not sure what the tuition comparison is at SFS and SJJ to Central but I did see Central's tuition is $10k a year. Now I did see they offer multiple forms of financial aid but still when its all said and done is it worth it to spend maybe $5k a year when you're already carrying the double burden of paying taxes and could send your kid to Perrysburg, Northview, Southview, Clay, etc...

Lima Central Catholic like almost every school in Allen County has seen their enrollments nose dive over the last couple decades but they've also seen some families (not necessarily the loyal LCC last names) make a financial decision to just go to Shawnee or Elida and save the $$$$.

I wonder how many of the SFS / SJJ alums go off to college and never return to the Toledo area. That's also something to consider in discussing future generations of those families not attending.

Not sure what the tuition comparison is at SFS and SJJ to Central but I did see Central's tuition is $10k a year. Now I did see they offer multiple forms of financial aid but still when its all said and done is it worth it to spend maybe $5k a year when you're already carrying the double burden of paying taxes and could send your kid to Perrysburg, Northview, Southview, Clay, etc...

Lima Central Catholic like almost every school in Allen County has seen their enrollments nose dive over the last couple decades but they've also seen some families (not necessarily the loyal LCC last names) make a financial decision to just go to Shawnee or Elida and save the $$$$.

I wonder how many of the SFS / SJJ alums go off to college and never return to the Toledo area. That's also something to consider in discussing future generations of those families not attending.
First off, the cost is negligible. CCHS business model has been discussed at length. Once they started to lose their Catholic base they went full voucher and endowment. CCHS has some old endowment funds and I believe they are also the state's #1 voucher school.

Regardless, CCHS still has CCHS people. I still see alums sending their kids there who live in the burbs. I do not see the same for SF & SJ and I cited two prominent former names in Harshman (Southview) and Dzerwia (Otsego). The money thing certainly plays into it but it always played into it. There were families who sent their kids to these schools for a couple generations and the schools had that alumni family atmosphere but that is all but gone for SF & SJ.

First off, the cost is negligible. CCHS business model has been discussed at length. Once they started to lose their Catholic base they went full voucher and endowment. CCHS has some old endowment funds and I believe they are also the state's #1 voucher school.

Regardless, CCHS still has CCHS people. I still see alums sending their kids there who live in the burbs. I do not see the same for SF & SJ and I cited two prominent former names in Harshman (Southview) and Dzerwia (Otsego). The money thing certainly plays into it but it always played into it. There were families who sent their kids to these schools for a couple generations and the schools had that alumni family atmosphere but that is all but gone for SF & SJ.

You don't think Matt Dzierwa being the football coach at Otsego had an impact on his younger sons being there instead of SJJ?

Great hire by the Central Catholic girls program yesterday bringing back all time great Ericka Haney. Not sure what level of success she’ll have but she certainly checks all the boxes, she’ll have instant name recognition with the parents, which always is a help.
Any good rumors for the Whitmer boys job? Floyd Campbell going to get it by default?

Great hire by the Central Catholic girls program yesterday bringing back all time great Ericka Haney. Not sure what level of success she’ll have but she certainly checks all the boxes, she’ll have instant name recognition with the parents, which always is a help.

All that education and couldn't get a decent job.

:D

Guess that ND degree doesn’t get ya much anymore.
Did it ever? Truth in honesty, one of their VPs is an old college classmate and friend. They're not THAT bad. Hopefully Van Slooten learns the lesson and just signs with UToledo. Short-cut all the homesickness and nonsense.

Haney has had so many jumps from here to there, any hope she stays?

Last edited:
Haney has had so many jumps from here to there, any hope she stays?

No reason to believe she's not in it for the long haul. She's back home, mom is still in town and is house hunting, all good signs. Now will an unrealistic fan base cause issues, of course they will.....