Three Clemson players fail drug test ahead of College Football Playoff game

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
A letter from the NCAA left three Clemson players “absolutely baffled,” a school official told USA TODAY Sports, when it arrived Thursday.

The message: Standout defensive tackle Dexter Lawrence, backup offensive lineman Zach Giella and freshman tight end Braden Galloway’s routine drug tests were positive for what head coach Dabo Swinney described Monday afternoon as a “sliver” of the banned drug ostarine. Their eligibility for Saturday’s College Football Playoff matchup with Notre Dame is in question.

The players thought Swinney was playing a joke on them.

Read more:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...e-before-college-football-playoff/2409250002/

If anyone was wondering, ostarine is a steroid equivalent and Dabo is an idiot. The only way to test positive for a "sliver" of steroids is to take steroids. This stuff isn't in any everyday products. You have to specifically buy it illegally

From the article:

According to USADA, only illegal products contain ostarine, but some dietary supplement makers illegally include them in products, omit ostarine from label inclusion or use a misleading name when listing.

Personally I am not sure if I believe that. I have to think they knew what they were taking.

I still would like to know what the threshold level is. Are they testing in pictograms? If so I question the reliability of said tests

Last edited:
Of all the players tested just three Clemson players had ostarine? I know Dabo is protecting his players but to say they would not intentionally take this drug is ridiculous.

Believe Ostarine falls under the category of a SARM which as others state, is basically a steroid.

Depending on what company you get, many times these SARM's are shipped with warnings that they are not for human consumption and should only be used in lab testing on rats and it doesn't take much research at all to find out it is banned by the NCAA.

Could some supplements intentionally keep this off their labels?

Certainly, but I would venture to say most wouldn't because people seek out these things and if you don't put it on the label they will likely seek out a product that does have it.

Do I believe these players that they didn't know?

Absolutely not.

The only way I would believe it is if they produce this supplement they were taking, prove it doesn't have it in the ingredients, and then have it tested to prove that it DOES have it.

My daughter is currently in a Div I sport; when it comes to PT and anything related to PT which includes nutritional drinks, bars, and supplements they are told only to ingest only what is in the training room and if they take anything outside of what is approved by the training staff they are subject to losing their scholarship. This is standard stuff for all schools she talked to. I find it highly unlikely that these players didn't know what was up when taking this stuff as Clemson has probably a staff member per position group when it comes to PT related items.

My daughter is currently in a Div I sport; when it comes to PT and anything related to PT which includes nutritional drinks, bars, and supplements they are told only to ingest only what is in the training room and if they take anything outside of what is approved by the training staff they are subject to losing their scholarship. This is standard stuff for all schools she talked to. I find it highly unlikely that these players didn't know what was up when taking this stuff as Clemson has probably a staff member per position group when it comes to PT related items.
Oh, they know.
Two routes they can go:
1. Admit it or
2. The route they are going and a certain segment of the population will believe them.

Those guys are taking all kinds of things to get an edge and many believe that if it isn't the hard core legit steroid they are going to be okay so they talk themselves into the fact that SARMS are different.

Allonzo Trier didn't miss much time when he tested positive for it. I believe he could play once it was out of his system

This is an annual occurance. These guys go through 2-3 months of week to week games, no problems. As soon as they get a little time off...BOOM, they take something, eat something, smoke or drink something they shouldn't and they fail a test. I"m sure they get told dozens of times during the season to not do these things. Just maddening.

This is an annual occurance. These guys go through 2-3 months of week to week games, no problems. As soon as they get a little time off...BOOM, they take something, eat something, smoke or drink something they shouldn't and they fail a test. I"m sure they get told dozens of times during the season to not do these things. Just maddening.

How often do they get tested during the season? Do they do random testing in season or just prior to?

The reason failures happen during this time period is because this is when everyone gets tested. Tests are rarely if ever administered during the regular season

The reason failures happen during this time period is because this is when everyone gets tested. Tests are rarely if ever administered during the regular season

I imagine they do it before the season for everyone and "random" in the season.....and then again everyone for bowl season?

When I played our team had 3 players tested monthly, whether in season or out of season (no testing during summer). The NCAA required so many tested and the school added a couple extras as well.

During NCAA's we had another round of testing on top of it. I think only 3 or 4 people were tested for NCAAs.

Fire Dabo!! Just think of the media frenzie if this was Meyer and the Bucks!! Why no cries that Dabo is unethical? He doesn’t know how these players tested positive? Well if he doesn’t know how then he is derelict in his duty, same as Meyer was when he let an assistant coach beat his wife. Fire Dabo!!!!

Fire Dabo!! Just think of the media frenzie if this was Meyer and the Bucks!! Why no cries that Dabo is unethical? He doesn’t know how these players tested positive? Well if he doesn’t know how then he is derelict in his duty, same as Meyer was when he let an assistant coach beat his wife. Fire Dabo!!!!

You really don’t see the difference bw a player testing+ vs covering up for a wife beater?

:laugh: Not the same, but good try.

Yea it is the same.

And Meyer did not cover for anybody.. Police investigated no charges pressed. You think I’m a looney. It is you despicable people who want to pile on an individual because you hate Ohio State so much. I’m not even that big a fan of OSU.

You really don’t see the difference bw a player testing+ vs covering up for a wife beater?

No there is o difference. Was this said wife beater individual convicted of DA in a court of law? NO!! All of you are wrong that belive this witch hunt BS. Yea Meyer is gone this whole thing is in the past, but I’m never going to let it go because right is right and it pisses me off to no end.

:laugh: doubling down on stupidity suits you well

What a dolt

So If you know that I am stupid why respond to my posts? Maybe make valid arguments against my posts.
So who is stupid? the person who is stupid or the person who argues with stupid.

:laugh: nothing needs to be said to refute how dumb of an argument you just made. Keep up the good work, it is cold outside and I needed to laugh.

I certainly am not arguing against you being stupid.

Thank you Dabo for butt beat on the Irish,talk about who shouldn't be one of the four playoff teams...BAM!