Thoughts on the open jobs? Newton Falls, Lowellville, Lisbon and Austintown Fitch.

If i remember correctly his first year was when they had a strike and won around 3 games, then his second year when the kids were seniors that had been playing since they were freshman under Bjelac, they went 7-3 then the last 2 years were like 2-8 and 2-8 seasons.
He spent 2006 and 2007 as head coach of Cuyahoga Falls and went 2-18. As NF coach he went 15-34 over 5 years, which for them might be pretty good. He did win 7 games in 2009, but they finished 16th in region because of their 7 wins they beat teams that were a combined 13-57. That isn’t his fault but it better explains that season amongst a bunch of 2 win seasons over that time span. That makes him 17-52 as a head coach.

Why would anyone be surprised they hired him? If it's true the AD is the coach of a rival school he's not going to hire anyone that threatens his program

Why would anyone be surprised they hired him? If it's true the AD is the coach of a rival school he's not going to hire anyone that threatens his program
But the AD isn’t the hiring authority.
Generally, the superintendent, with input from both the AD, and the building principal, drives the decision.
The recommendation is presented to the BOE, which if at least 3 of the 5 members agree, the hiring is then voted official.

Again, a great resource to confirm coaches’ records is right here in the Yappi Sports Wiki thread pinned near the top of the home page. It lists every Ohio high school all-time W-L records by year and by coach.

I was told Lazzari was on the interview panel for the new applicants. Then was offered the position himself.... Is that even legal? Being a teacher in the building seems like Falls went with the cheapest route. I know the district has a tough time passing levys and is shrinking so it makes sense.

It probably was the most expensive route actually since he has so many years experience. They have to pay for his years of service as a headcoach. There is nothing illegal about what they did but maybe not morally sound

It probably was the most expensive route actually since he has so many years experience. They have to pay for his years of service as a headcoach. There is nothing illegal about what they did but maybe not morally sound
Cheapest route meaning not bringing in new educator and coach. With his steps max he makes is 10-12k as a supplemental. Hiring a new educator in building is 35k plus 5-10k as head coach supplemental pending steps

They didn't do their homework in selecting candidates. They were plenty of qualified candidates that did not need a teaching position that had ties to Trumbull County. From a previous post, Tom Sporich was mentioned. Solid coach with plenty of contacts in the area to fill coaching positions. NF will be in the position again in two years when the Lazzari resigns....again! It is terrible for the young men in the program expecting something different from the school leaders. Where is the outrage from the community and the Board?

From today’s Warren Tribune:
Agenda
January 10, 2020

• NEWTON FALLS BOARD OF EDUCATION will hold a special meeting 7:30 a.m. Saturday at the high school for an executive session on board of education candidates, compensation of employees and employment of coaching staff. No action will be taken.

They didn't do their homework in selecting candidates. They were plenty of qualified candidates that did not need a teaching position that had ties to Trumbull County. From a previous post, Tom Sporich was mentioned. Solid coach with plenty of contacts in the area to fill coaching positions. NF will be in the position again in two years when the Lazzari resigns....again! It is terrible for the young men in the program expecting something different from the school leaders. Where is the outrage from the community and the Board?
Apathy. Towards the football program.

Southington is in a difficult position, from what I heard? Right now there numbers are in the single digits. Other schools that might be in trouble would be Sebring(they had a large group of Seniors) and a few more in Southington's league. Hard for a program to get a descent coach if the program is jeopardized? We'll see...

Southington is in a difficult position, from what I heard? Right now there numbers are in the single digits. Other schools that might be in trouble would be Sebring(they had a large group of Seniors) and a few more in Southington's league. Hard for a program to get a descent coach if the program is jeopardized? We'll see...
I was told that was the reason the Southington coach left. He saw the writing on the wall during the season last year and figured they might not have a team this upcoming season. He wanted to look for somewhere else, not sure if he found anywhere or not.

I was told there are kids in the building that will play but didn't necessarily like Conrad (I know same old excuse). The problem is that Conrad was never in the building to interact with those kids to change the perception of him because he had to work (not necessarily his fault, a product of the environment). The next coach has to do something to drum up interest from those kids or the program is done for.

I was told there are kids in the building that will play but didn't necessarily like Conrad (I know same old excuse). The problem is that Conrad was never in the building to interact with those kids to change the perception of him because he had to work (not necessarily his fault, a product of the environment). The next coach has to do something to drum up interest from those kids or the program is done for.
That’s the problem, kids don’t love the game anymore, it never mattered who the coach was, you played cause you loved the game

NF hired a coach, Josh Franke and gave him a teaching job a few years ago and they stunk. I think he only last 3-4 years and they were bad so maybe they aren’t willing to go down that road again...

Last edited:
If you don’t play because you don’t like the coach that’s just soft and you were looking for a reason not to play
Evidently you are not around kids these days ( I'm not saying I don't disagree about kids being soft). If you want to run a successful program you need to sell it these days and that's a fact.

I was told by a coworker a while ago that Southington had a very high pay to play. Is that still true? If it is that can be crippling to a D7 team

This is why coaches should be in the building and districts should make every reasonable attempt to get them in there even if yes that means gasp..... creating a teaching spot. You invest in things that matter and if you refuse to invest you are telling your kids and your community that it just really isn't that important.