Thoughts on the open jobs? Newton Falls, Lowellville, Lisbon and Austintown Fitch.

I’ll be up front and tell you that I know Kempe on a personal level and I think he’s a great coach. I have to ask what was a disaster about the Niles defense? If their defense was a disaster then so was Struthers. The two schools gave up almost identical amount of points per game. You must also believe that South Range is a disaster on defense as is Girard. Niles may not be great in defense but they are 1000 times better than they were during the Shaner days.
Had no point to putting their defense against other schools, it was the fact it didn’t get much better and I don’t think he wants to be an assistant to a guy who he’s a better coach then “or thinks he is”

I didn’t see much of a change in defense the games I saw from Niles from last year to this year honestly

That’s the thing I’m sure he wants to be a head guy somewhere, he said that as he was leaving Ursuline he wanted to be a head coach somewhere again

Must've been drunk when typing this huh? Hakes resume over past ten years and keep the argument of he's coaching in d6 out... : 112-24, 8 playoff appearances, 9-9 postseason record, 2 regional titles, 3 regional title appearances, never had under 7 wins as a head coach at reserve. Resume is second to none but he won't get a second interview? I can see maybe because of him being a nut job, but lets not act like this dude doesn't find a way to win games regardless. I think that resume deserves a second interview.
Idc what he has done, people don’t like the guy, nobody with the school caliber of fitch would bring him in to replace a legend. Not a shot in hell

Mirage for what? The kids had a semi successful season with the schedule that was put before them. You miss the point of playing sports then. Those seniors that leave Lowellville this year will go away knowing that they helped improve the program and won more games than they lost as seniors.
Or helped with the coach leaving lol there’s 2 ways to look at everything. They are not good at football and probably won’t be for a very long time. Record doesn’t always show how good a team is, 6-4 but got beat by a 3 win Waterloo team and weren’t competitive against any of the better teams.

Idc what he has done, people don’t like the guy, nobody with the school caliber of fitch would bring him in to replace a legend. Not a shot in hell
LOL. Dude knows how to win simple as that. Don't matter though, staying at reserve or leaving he will continue to win and people like you will continue to have small brains.

Must've been drunk when typing this huh? Hakes resume over past ten years and keep the argument of he's coaching in d6 out... : 112-24, 8 playoff appearances, 9-9 postseason record, 2 regional titles, 3 regional title appearances, never had under 7 wins as a head coach at reserve. Resume is second to none but he won't get a second interview? I can see maybe because of him being a nut job, but lets not act like this dude doesn't find a way to win games regardless. I think that resume deserves a second interview.
He is universally disliked by most of the Ad’s in the area.

and once again, will continue to win ball games liked or not. understand the argument though.
Right. He will continue to win games at western reserve and we will never see him coach at the likes of fitch. His personality is ok for a small school. Not for a fitch type program.

Im not a fan of Hakes but thats neither here nor there, I think Hake will thrive at a big program as long as he is winning. He will get kids out for the program, push to play at all levels, and the kids will love him.

Fitch type of program, means a much larger program with more stakeholders and more diversity. Hake gets results no doubt about it but he is a headache from an administration standpoint. Smaller communities are easier to control and more eager to hold on to good coaches so they are often more accepting of certain behaviors. He is on a pedestal at WR and they let him be who he is, and my point is not every place will do that. I don’t think anything I am saying earth shattering, anyone who knows him or the situation would say the same.

Fitch type of program, means a much larger program with more stakeholders and more diversity. Hake gets results no doubt about it but he is a headache from an administration standpoint. Smaller communities are easier to control and more eager to hold on to good coaches so they are often more accepting of certain behaviors. He is on a pedestal at WR and they let him be who he is, and my point is not every place will do that. I don’t think anything I am saying earth shattering, anyone who knows him or the situation would say the same.
You can read any article where the guy speaks and come to the conclusion you just said, very well put. Bigger schools especially bigger schools with a lot of success is hard to please the fans and administrators.

Hurdley is definitely still coaching at Canfield. He’s the D-coordinator. And personally I hope he stays and takes over when Pav retires.
I hope he leaves to come back to his alma mater. Though I'll have to admit, there is no reason to leave Canfield to go to Fitch.

Just out of curiosity, why do you feel that none of them would be a fit?
Its nothing against them,just my personal opinion and preference. They've all had some level of success in their careers and are all quality coach's. I consider them small school coaches and I've seen it once at Fitch and don't want a repeat. Hulea and Johnson might be exceptions to this,but I just don't see them as a match. I prefer to see a younger coach hired who can infuse new life and ideas into the program, which IMO has been spinning its wheels for at least 5 years.

See thats where i disagree with you and Ill preface this with I am not a Hake fan. If the program is taken to the next level by any coach in any community and the kids are excited about the program then the community will be willing to live with his quirky antics. In the end Andy is trying to get the kids excited about playing football and community members excited about their team. Why wouldnt that work at Fitch?

See thats where i disagree with you and Ill preface this with I am not a Hake fan. If the program is taken to the next level by any coach in any community and the kids are excited about the program then the community will be willing to live with his quirky antics. In the end Andy is trying to get the kids excited about playing football and community members excited about their team. Why wouldnt that work at Fitch?
You sound like a hake fan, which is perfectly fine, but I think most people share the view I described. He wins and those kids seem excited to play. He is also in a great place that has money, kids who come from good situations and had previous success. If I was him, which obviously I am not, I would stay in that situation where they obviously allow him the space to be himself.

I respect what he gets his kids to do, thats where it ends for me. When he was in the city schools those kids loved him there too. You might think im crazy but i think he would do good at a place like Harding because he takes care of his kids and they respond to it.

Its nothing against them,just my personal opinion and preference. They've all had some level of success in their careers and are all quality coach's. I consider them small school coaches and I've seen it once at Fitch and don't want a repeat. Hulea and Johnson might be exceptions to this,but I just don't see them as a match. I prefer to see a younger coach hired who can infuse new life and ideas into the program, which IMO has been spinning its wheels for at least 5 years.

Solid post all the way around.

Yes, that "HOT Small School Coach" hire put Fitch in a hole that took just about 10 years to completely dig out of. In fairness to him he did end up being a heckuva assistant at Canfield. The folks involved in that decision are long gone, hope the current group makes a good choice.

BTW, Ryan Williams (HC at Poland) made his bones as Assistant and DC at Fitch.

I don't think Feydeski is like these small school coaches. He did not have a resume like these guys. He took over a well-coached team and got them to the SC. Then McDonald was not that good after that. The people who hired Feydeski wanted someone who would run the wing-t because of the success they had under Hartman running it. Unfortunately, Feydeski was not a Hartman. He wasn't even a Kenney, and a lot of good talent was wasted during those years. But the guys being mentioned on here have much better resumes than Feydeski did.

Don’t know how much talent was on those Fitch teams that Fedyski had as well. Of course talent has to be developed too. Another area head coach, Tim McGlynn, is a Fitch alum. I have heard his time there didn’t end well but he is coming off a decent year as head coach at Champion. You will get a good amount of people who want this job but it will be all about who the district can bring into the building or who they can promote from within the building. They got lucky with Coach Annarella because he was retired, maybe they can find another retired head coach. I think there have been a few already mentioned in this thread!

Solid post all the way around.

Yes, that "HOT Small School Coach" hire put Fitch in a hole that took just about 10 years to completely dig out of. In fairness to him he did end up being a heckuva assistant at Canfield. The folks involved in that decision are long gone, hope the current group makes a good choice.

BTW, Ryan Williams (HC at Poland) made his bones as Assistant and DC at Fitch.
I'm sure Ryan is quite comfortable in his current position. He like coach Hurdley is settled in Poland and raising a family there. Highly doubt either has any interest in returning to Fitch for various reasons.

Or helped with the coach leaving lol there’s 2 ways to look at everything. They are not good at football and probably won’t be for a very long time. Record doesn’t always show how good a team is, 6-4 but got beat by a 3 win Waterloo team and weren’t competitive against any of the better teams.

Considering the quarterback was a freshman and most of the team were underclassmen, I think they did okay. Everyone knew they weren’t going to be competitive against the Big 3 of the MVAC (I bet the team knew that). No excuse for the Waterloo game but they paid the repercussions for that with missing the playoffs. Good or not, they won games that were presented to them. Can’t argue that.

Honestly, it sounds like you just cannot stand Lowellville from your posts. Give them two years when the freshman class are juniors and I guarantee it’ll be different. With the right coaching of course.

Considering the quarterback was a freshman and most of the team were underclassmen, I think they did okay. Everyone knew they weren’t going to be competitive against the Big 3 of the MVAC (I bet the team knew that). No excuse for the Waterloo game but they paid the repercussions for that with missing the playoffs. Good or not, they won games that were presented to them. Can’t argue that.

Honestly, it sounds like you just cannot stand Lowellville from your posts. Give them two years when the freshman class are juniors and I guarantee it’ll be different. With the right coaching of course.
Honestly it’s just honesty, I could careless if they go winless or win the state title

Fedyski was in over his head. I think he was brought in not because of the Wing T, but rather because he had family ties and could be told how to run the program. I am too far removed now to know the decisions related to the current opening or people making them. People forget that Fitch really had minimal success over the years before Hartman. He came in at a perfect time as the school and community were large, growing families and virtually every sport benefited from that. Now, the community, like the rest of the valley, has declined enrollment, resources, etc. I hope they get a coach that recognizes that and can be the lightning rod for success and pride.

I
Fedyski was in over his head. I think he was brought in not because of the Wing T, but rather because he had family ties and could be told how to run the program. I am too far removed now to know the decisions related to the current opening or people making them. People forget that Fitch really had minimal success over the years before Hartman. He came in at a perfect time as the school and community were large, growing families and virtually every sport benefited from that. Now, the community, like the rest of the valley, has declined enrollment, resources, etc. I hope they get a coach that recognizes that and can be the lightning rod for success and pride.
There's no doubt Fedyski was lost when he came in. I knew some of the assistant coaches he had. They were former Falcon players, and they were ticked. In his first or second year, one coach told me that they had the talent to 9-1 or 8-2, but they would probably finish 2-8 or 3-7. I didn't think it would be that bad, but that was what happened. I don't think Hartman had the perfect time to be the coach. Austintown was already starting to shrink. In 1985, I was told that there were only between 90 and 100 kids in kindergarten in Austintown. That was an eye opener. The area shrank quickly. We did have huge classes in the 80s, but the 90s' classes were not much larger than they are now. Those were some of Hartman's best teams. Plus, everyone was bigger back then. Ursuline and Mooney were DII, Niles, Howland, WWR, WH, and Boardman were huge. Hartman did a great job. He did what coaches need to do and that is to create an atmosphere that gives kids the best chance to be successful. I really don't know who we can get. There was Fitch grad who probably played with you and coached at Normandy in Parma. He turned that program around to the point where Normandy beat Massillon. He moved away. I'd like to see something like a guy like him come back. We need someone who is from the valley an looking to return and has had a lot of success coaching.

I

There's no doubt Fedyski was lost when he came in. I knew some of the assistant coaches he had. They were former Falcon players, and they were ticked. In his first or second year, one coach told me that they had the talent to 9-1 or 8-2, but they would probably finish 2-8 or 3-7. I didn't think it would be that bad, but that was what happened. I don't think Hartman had the perfect time to be the coach. Austintown was already starting to shrink. In 1985, I was told that there were only between 90 and 100 kids in kindergarten in Austintown. That was an eye opener. The area shrank quickly. We did have huge classes in the 80s, but the 90s' classes were not much larger than they are now. Those were some of Hartman's best teams. Plus, everyone was bigger back then. Ursuline and Mooney were DII, Niles, Howland, WWR, WH, and Boardman were huge. Hartman did a great job. He did what coaches need to do and that is to create an atmosphere that gives kids the best chance to be successful. I really don't know who we can get. There was Fitch grad who probably played with you and coached at Normandy in Parma. He turned that program around to the point where Normandy beat Massillon. He moved away. I'd like to see something like a guy like him come back. We need someone who is from the valley an looking to return and has had a lot of success coaching.

Rich Turner is who you are thinking of.

I

There's no doubt Fedyski was lost when he came in. I knew some of the assistant coaches he had. They were former Falcon players, and they were ticked. In his first or second year, one coach told me that they had the talent to 9-1 or 8-2, but they would probably finish 2-8 or 3-7. I didn't think it would be that bad, but that was what happened. I don't think Hartman had the perfect time to be the coach. Austintown was already starting to shrink. In 1985, I was told that there were only between 90 and 100 kids in kindergarten in Austintown. That was an eye opener. The area shrank quickly. We did have huge classes in the 80s, but the 90s' classes were not much larger than they are now. Those were some of Hartman's best teams. Plus, everyone was bigger back then. Ursuline and Mooney were DII, Niles, Howland, WWR, WH, and Boardman were huge. Hartman did a great job. He did whoat coaches need to do and that is to create an atmosphere that gives kids the best chance to be successful. I really don't know who we can get. There was Fitch grad who probably played with you and coached at Normandy in Parma. He turned that program around to the point where Normandy beat Massillon. He moved away. I'd like to see something like a guy like him come back. We need someone who is from the valley an looking to return and has had a lot of success coaching.
As falcons53 said, Rich Turner is the name. I brought his name up to a board member who actually graduated with him,but I highly doubt he considers moving his family again from Florida, especially if there is no teaching position to offer, which is what I was told. To me that limits the candidate pool for sure, unless they somehow "create " a position.

very good list, be willing to bet that the next coach isn’t on this list though. If Guerrero wants it then he is the guy but he has a pretty nice set up. Hake has way to many interesting behaviors to survive at Fitch. He is at a place that allows him to be himself and if he is smart then he stays put. I think Johnson would do an excellent job too. A ton of good assistants in the area and lots of good young head coaches not on this list too, I’d imagine a lot of them will be interested too.
Guerrero would be crazy to leave. Gotta think people realize that Brungard coming there was really what took that program to the next level.