Thoughts on the open jobs? Newton Falls, Lowellville, Lisbon and Austintown Fitch.

It will be interesting to see if these schools go with new young assistant coaches, giving them a chance, or do they go with some of the old recycled coaches who bounce around from school to school in the area.

For the Fitch job I would love to see Hurdley come back from Canfield, but when he left, I knew he was probably not coming back. We need a guy like Hurdley. Fitch's D was unbelievable when he was DC. Since he left, it hasn't been the same. I really don't want the current crew to stay. They are OK, but the offense has been weak for years. There needs to be more creativity. Some of the offensive plays Fitch runs are very limiting, and they take too long to execute. Smaller guys can't hold blocks for five or six seconds while some receiver is running down the field. I really hope they get someone good because there is some serious talent coming back and coming up from the freshman team. If Hurdley puts in, they should hire him.

I would think the Lowellville job would be appealing to some coaches that like small school football, Valasquez was doing a good job there. Went 6-4 with a young team and almost made the playoffs.

For the Fitch job I would love to see Hurdley come back from Canfield, but when he left, I knew he was probably not coming back. We need a guy like Hurdley. Fitch's D was unbelievable when he was DC. Since he left, it hasn't been the same. I really don't want the current crew to stay. They are OK, but the offense has been weak for years. There needs to be more creativity. Some of the offensive plays Fitch runs are very limiting, and they take too long to execute. Smaller guys can't hold blocks for five or six seconds while some receiver is running down the field. I really hope they get someone good because there is some serious talent coming back and coming up from the freshman team. If Hurdley puts in, they should hire him.
I'm not sure he's even still coaching ,and even if he is ,I doubt he has an interest in the job.

6-4 and don’t make the D7 playoffs says a lot about how weak their schedule was.

Im sure 6-4 feels pretty good for a team that was 0-10 not so long ago. For a young team and program that is struggling you have to kick down the schedule a bit. Kids need to go away from the experience with a positive feeling if you want the program to grow right?

No
Im sure 6-4 feels pretty good for a team that was 0-10 not so long ago. For a young team and program that is struggling you have to kick down the schedule a bit. Kids need to go away from the experience with a positive feeling if you want the program to grow right?
it’s called false hope when the schedule is watered down like that.

• Sad
Reactions: bop
Just for fun, who are some local coaches who would be a good fit at Fitch, even if they aren't thinking of leaving where they currently are? Here are some I think would be successful at Fitch:

Yeagley from South Range
Cusick from Crestview
Guerrero from Springfield
Hake from Western Reserve
Hulea from Leetonia
Johnson from Salem

Just for fun, who are some local coaches who would be a good fit at Fitch, even if they aren't thinking of leaving where they currently are? Here are some I think would be successful at Fitch:

Yeagley from South Range
Cusick from Crestview
Hulea from Leetonia
Johnson from Salem
As a long time follower and supporter of the program, I don't think any of them are a fit,but I will say there is smoke with one of them. My preference is to go with some out of the area.

I wonder if kempe will try to coach as a head coach again, he was helping the Niles defense I believe this year, and that was a disaster

I wonder if kempe will try to coach as a head coach again, he was helping the Niles defense I believe this year, and that was a disaster
I got to say Buckeye, you might just be the most negative poster currently on Yappi. I would love to see you on a chalk board talking football with guys like Hake, Johnson, Velasquez, and Kemp. Lighten up a bit, you make yourself look like a bitter old man.

I got to say Buckeye, you might just be the most negative poster currently on Yappi. I would love to see you on a chalk board talking football with guys like Hake, Johnson, Velasquez, and Kemp. Lighten up a bit, you make yourself look like a bitter old man.
Because I said niles defense was bad and Lowellvilles 6 wins were a mirage? Or the fact that fitch could pull way better coaches then those mentioned? That’s jus being honest. I’ve been complimenting my schools biggest rival for the last 2 weeks and been pulling for Springfield all post season. Sorry for calling that Lowellville isn’t a good job or that fitch wouldn’t go after lower tiered coaches then what they can actually pull in

I mean cmon seriously

Attachments

• 173E0C3A-2475-4CC8-A4DA-C34D16F1490B.jpeg
    173E0C3A-2475-4CC8-A4DA-C34D16F1490B.jpeg
    414.5 KB · Views: 62
I’ll be up front and tell you that I know Kempe on a personal level and I think he’s a great coach. I have to ask what was a disaster about the Niles defense? If their defense was a disaster then so was Struthers. The two schools gave up almost identical amount of points per game. You must also believe that South Range is a disaster on defense as is Girard. Niles may not be great in defense but they are 1000 times better than they were during the Shaner days.

The names listed above are a "whose who" of coaching in the area. I think many may be interested. Does anyone know the time frame for selecting a candidate for each situation.

Mirage for what? The kids had a semi successful season with the schedule that was put before them. You miss the point of playing sports then. Those seniors that leave Lowellville this year will go away knowing that they helped improve the program and won more games than they lost as seniors.

Im gonna tell you i have no idea how my strength of schedule was as a senior. I dont know anyone elses record. I know we went 8-2 and won the league and im ok with that.

Don’t seem like any of those would leave their places as of now, and I don’t think hake or Johnson would even get a second interview.
Must've been drunk when typing this huh? Hakes resume over past ten years and keep the argument of he's coaching in d6 out... : 112-24, 8 playoff appearances, 9-9 postseason record, 2 regional titles, 3 regional title appearances, never had under 7 wins as a head coach at reserve. Resume is second to none but he won't get a second interview? I can see maybe because of him being a nut job, but lets not act like this dude doesn't find a way to win games regardless. I think that resume deserves a second interview.

Must've been drunk when typing this huh? Hakes resume over past ten years and keep the argument of he's coaching in d6 out... : 112-24, 8 playoff appearances, 9-9 postseason record, 2 regional titles, 3 regional title appearances, never had under 7 wins as a head coach at reserve. Resume is second to none but he won't get a second interview? I can see maybe because of him being a nut job, but lets not act like this dude doesn't find a way to win games regardless. I think that resume deserves a second interview.
Thank you, for explaining that Coach Hake

Last edited:
As a long time follower and supporter of the program, I don't think any of them are a fit,but I will say there is smoke with one of them. My preference is to go with some out of the area.

Just out of curiosity, why do you feel that none of them would be a fit?

[/QUO
Kemp is a great person to have mentoring these young kids today and any school would be happy they have him guiding their program. But, I hope he stays in Niles.

A great fit for Fitch would be the ex Louisville coach. He would have a really fun offense going on with the skill kids Fitch has every year.

Hurdley is definitely still coaching at Canfield. He’s the D-coordinator. And personally I hope he stays and takes over when Pav retires.
Thanks for clarifying. Would love to see him come "home" in some capacity,but I still doubt hes interested.

Yeagley from South Range
Cusick from Crestview
Hulea from Leetonia
Johnson from Salem

very good list, be willing to bet that the next coach isn’t on this list though. If Guerrero wants it then he is the guy but he has a pretty nice set up. Hake has way to many interesting behaviors to survive at Fitch. He is at a place that allows him to be himself and if he is smart then he stays put. I think Johnson would do an excellent job too. A ton of good assistants in the area and lots of good young head coaches not on this list too, I’d imagine a lot of them will be interested too.