Thompson AL vs Auburn AL 7A title game.... what did I just witness!!!!!

vamp2syd

If you are planning on watching this game stop reading and click out..... otherwise.....

What the heck just happened. Auburn is up by 9 with just over a minute left and has it first and 10. They are taking a knee and the opposing teams players are crying on the bench..... The Auburn student section is chanting over rated.... this is going to be one of the biggest upsets in recent Alabama history but ..... they ended up losing the game!!!!!! It was just incredible and I am flashing back to that Texas title game many moons ago but this was different...... and a lesson to everyone no matter how bad the odds you should never give up.......

After watching the highlight video (in the link below, don't watch with sound, music's terrible), they blocked the punt at the 25-26 second mark and crossed the goal line with 18 seconds left. They scored the final three points in the final 18 seconds.

BTW coach of Auburn, you have 78 seconds to go in the game. You have the ball on first down and the opposition has two timeouts left. Doesn't take a math major to figure out you can't start taking kneeldowns yet until you gain a first down or burn about 15-20 seconds total on 1st and 2nd downs.

And on the flip side, coach of Thompson - knowing the game situation and the 'so-complex' math involved with a 40-second play clock, how can you NOT be telling your kids if "we hold them from a first down we still have a chance"?

And have you ever seen a more lackadaisical attempt by a punter?

Last edited:
Seen Punters in this type of situation { As long as we don't get the kick blocked resulting in a TD we win } just get rid of the ball off of their foot and punt it 20 yards , JUST TO GET IT OFF . He had ONE JOB . If a couple kids whiff on blocks the punter in this type of situation should be told to just run for it because it takes a few seconds and the other team would need to go 40-50 yards to score AND then get the onside kick . Kid screwed up and the coaches screwed up on that one WORSE . ONLY chance to lose that game was IF THE PUNT GETS BLOCKED AND RUN IN FOR 6 POINTS . PERIOD . Coaches ultimately responsible , he wasn't coached well enough because he was casual Friday with a side of bong hits getting rid of that punt. Gets the punt off for 5 yards and his team wins a State title .

WOW. That's crazy.

The 1994 John Tyler vs. Plano East was 41-17 with about 3 minutes left. I can still hear the Plano East announcer lamenting the return after scolding folks for leaving early.

Punting might have been a mistake in this situation. Just run it up the middle. Anything can happen on a blocked kick, and it's usually bad for the kicking team.

I am surprised that you actually got to see the end of the game.
Especially with all the kids holiday programming this time of
year; the station could have broken away for a film (Heidi).

:>---

EGA

Wow. Just wow.

1. At least have to run some plays until other team is out of timeouts.
2. Punt formation - apparently they didn't have a "punt safe" call. Why do you need 2 gunners? Just pack the box and block. Unlike the NMS-Coldwater OH final, poor coverage can't lose you the game
3. Onside kick coverage - the receiving team is not limited on where they lineup. Why is 50% of the receiving team 20 yards or deeper from the ball?
4. The Thompson kicker - WOW! Beautiful onsides kick and then nails the FG. Just awesome.
5. It's hindsight, but with 22 seconds left instead of punting you could put the best RB/WR back there. They catch the snap and then run back for a safety. Play kills at least 7-10 more seconds, then you get to kickoff up 7. Dangerous, but considering the coach called kneeldowns while other team had time outs left . . .

Last thought - lived in the south for awhile. Went to HS games when I could, but aside from seeing some crazy good athletes, it was pretty obvious that the quality of the game was not what we're blessed with in Ohio. D1 - D7 there is quality coaching, players, and overall football throughout the state every weekend.

My thought was that was some really poor/lackadaisical effort by the punt team and onside team for a championship game. Maybe my expectations are too high, but that was just poor.

Also, its like the punting coach didnt realize they might try to block it. Go max protect and tell the punter, one step and kick.

I am surprised that you actually got to see the end of the game.
Especially with all the kids holiday programming this time of
year; the station could have broken away for a film (Heidi).

:>---

EGA

I remember watching that game and then being shocked when I found out the Jets lost.

A few months later Joe Namath was a guest on the Tonight Show and they showed a "highlight" reel of Namath's plays. It consisted of Broadway Joe throwing INTs, fumbling, getting sacked, just all negative plays, until finally they showed a play of a wide open Jets receiver about to catch a perfectly thrown bomb from Namath and just as the ball is about to be caught, a very large "Heidi" popped up on the screen obliterating the view of the play. :)

This is one of th reasons why I never liked that spread out punt blcoking scheme that college made popular and some HS adopted.
Just seems to have too much open space that someone can exploit and slip through more likely than that iron wall the NFL blocking style.

I remember watching that game and then being shocked when I found out the Jets lost.

A few months later Joe Namath was a guest on the Tonight Show and they showed a "highlight" reel of Namath's plays. It consisted of Broadway Joe throwing INTs, fumbling, getting sacked, just all negative plays, until finally they showed a play of a wide open Jets receiver about to catch a perfectly thrown bomb from Namath and just as the ball is about to be caught, a very large "Heidi" popped up on the screen obliterating the view of the play. :)
I want to say there was a commercial that sprouted from the Heidi bowl as well after that. I can barely recall it as a kid.

I want to say there was a commercial that sprouted from the Heidi bowl as well after that. I can barely recall it as a kid.

There were several satirical jabs at the network for the way they handled that game.

After watching the highlight video (in the link below, don't watch with sound, music's terrible), they blocked the punt at the 25-26 second mark and crossed the goal line with 18 seconds left. They scored the final three points in the final 18 seconds.

BTW coach of Auburn, you have 78 seconds to go in the game. You have the ball on first down and the opposition has two timeouts left. Doesn't take a math major to figure out you can't start taking kneeldowns yet until you gain a first down or burn about 15-20 seconds total on 1st and 2nd downs.

And on the flip side, coach of Thompson - knowing the game situation and the 'so-complex' math involved with a 40-second play clock, how can you NOT be telling your kids if "we hold them from a first down we still have a chance"?

And have you ever seen a more lackadaisical attempt by a punter?

That immediately caught my eye when watching the clip.

Coaching. coaching. coaching. coaching.

This guy is actually a pretty good coach known for turning programs around... I just cannot in anyway explain the reasoning of the last minute of the game. Even if your afraid of your team fumbling and taking a knee you would still do it on 4th down not taking the chance of a return or block. It was a 2 possession game....

Thompson was ranked 6th in the nation.... this was suppose to be blowout city baby but the Thompson QB got hurt early in the game and they just did not seem the same after that. Seeing Auburn the previous week I was extremely impress with their defense and they just stifled Thompson for most of the game....... Thompson had zero yards are the final drive as their FG was set up by back to back defensive pass interference calls following the onside kick.....

This guy is actually a pretty good coach known for turning programs around... I just cannot in anyway explain the reasoning of the last minute of the game. Even if your afraid of your team fumbling and taking a knee you would still do it on 4th down not taking the chance of a return or block. It was a 2 possession game....
Fact of the matter is: Even with how they proceeded, if they get the punt away (presuming it is not returned for a TD), they win.

DVI final this year. If NMS punts it out of bounds, CW kneels and goes into OT. It may have ended up 77-76 and they still lose but it still comes down to.........

.............EXECUTION.

Champion New Bremen beat MSML with a blocked punt/return for a TD very late in the game.

Crazy crazy

[/QUOTE remember that as well

Right, make them score twice on offense.