Things from your past that you wish could be brought back

irish_buffalo

With Ford bringing back the Bronco I thought about other things from the past you'd like to see reintroduced today.
1604523341208.png
1604523379424.png

In Toledo we had a couple restaurants that originated in Michigan called the Sveden House which had a dynamite smorgasbord and roast beef carving station.

https://99wfmk.com/sveden-house-michigan/

Another would be Salisbury Quarry. Great place for a kid to spend time. Learned how to do all kinds of flips and special dives off the cliffs and also learned how to actually dive. Was bought out and developed for high end homes.

1604524142258.png

Mechanical voting booths. Clicking the levers for the candidates and issues, and that satisfying ka-CHUNK when you cranked that big lever to register your vote and open the curtains.

Trans fats. I can think of a few foods whose taste changed for the worse after food producers began phasing out the trans fats.

Coca-Cola and other pops made with sucrose that switched to high fructose corn syrup. The Cleveland Coca-Cola bottler still used sucrose up until being bought out by another bottler a couple years ago.

Little Debbie Mint Sticks. They were made the same way as the Nutty Bars, but they had mint-flavored paste sandwiched b/w the wafers instead of peanut butter.

The Mean Streak. I recall us having a brief thread a few years ago when Cedar Point elected to dismantle the coaster.

Also, some old local restaurants and stores that went by the wayside over the years for any number of reasons. Yours will vary based on where you lived and what your interests were. Can't think of any chains I'd like to see return.

That few minute wait before being ready to go again. Hair on top my head. Fred the Australian Shepherd-Lab mix. She was the best dog anyone could ask for. The place where I grew up, so I could watch it get torn down again. My 90 MPH fast ball. Oh wait, never had that....

There was a deli on Central near Monroe, in what was called the Colony. Can't remember the name. Don's Drive-in. Lewis' Potato Chips. E.J. Murphy's with the lunch counter and the spinny stools and the hot dogs cooked on rollers and put on toasted New England Style buns. Filled neighborhood churches.

Last edited:
Showers and toilets that get the job done. The Democratic Party of JFK. A time when not every cookie was a variation of Chips Ahoy or Oreos and candies weren't all varieties of Snickers or Reese Cups. The Big Red Machine. The summer of 1971 (what I call my "Huck Finn Summer", old enough to go anywhere my bike could take me but young enough to not have a care in the world).

I get the feeling we are we just a bunch of curmudgeons on this site... Bottom line is I too wish I had the body of a college kid with the wisdom of man that has been through some life changing experiences.

Here are couple things the modern world has ruined>

Family relaxing time>
Family-Playing-Board-Game.jpg

1.jpg

Bi-partisan Washington>
10344FE_PR_090401pastpresent_reagantip.jpg

MW-HA103_pelosi_20181211124521_ZQ.jpg

Reminds me of when Pontiac reintroduced the GTO. Talk about wearing your bad-idea jeans that day.

Went from muscle and mean...

1604592009947.png

Too...this?....

1604592066515.png

I get the feeling we are we just a bunch of curmudgeons on this site... Bottom line is I too wish I had the body of a college kid with the wisdom of man that has been through some life changing experiences.

Family relaxing time>

1.jpg

Bi-partisan Washington>

Auggie, when I was younger, we would constantly play games. Board games, card games, did not matter. Euchre, Tonk, Rummy, Hearts, Spades and usually adults and kids. Games and tournaments that would last for hours. Very competitive as well. Lost today.

While it may not fit this thread, I'd welcome back the Cold War years. You knew who your foe was. You knew what you were against, therefore you knew what you were for. We don't have that luxury now, we're not certain who or what our enemy is now.

1) Showers and toilets that get the job done.

2)The Democratic Party of JFK.

1) Huh?

2) The Democratic party of JFK?

Isn't that exactly what we got, just further down the road closer to its natural conclusion? One we honestly at the time might not have seen.

I was very young at that time and all I saw was "Camelot." Now that I'm older.... You are seeing something that I am not. Can you tell me what it is?

As I see it now:

Back then we were young and saw the government as charitable a good thing. Now we're old and at least some of us see the mistake in hiring a mercenary to do our charitables for us. Ok, investment in people was another way to look at it. But investment has performance guidelines. What was started in the 60s had no performance guidelines. It was all carrot, no payback. In hind sight it appears more to me as the liberal means toward gathering votes and coddling a population that was becoming volatile. At best a bad idea with good intentions. At worse, sway them and make them dependent.

On reflection: I would want to bring back the good feeling I had about those programs but with a better plan.

1) Huh?

2) The Democratic party of JFK?
Low flow anything doesn't work as well as regular and, while I disagree with much of what Kennedy did, there was no doubt that Democrats, in general, were anti-communist, America loving patriots, many of whom were WWII veterans like JFK and they were willing to work with Republicans in a professional and collegial way to work for the American people.

People falling off cliffs more than they ever did when we were kids. We knew better. If the fall didn't get you, the anvil would.

Kids playing in neighborhoods
This. Coming home when the streetlights come on. Each mom had her own whistle or yell that your friends could discern from their own mother's. And something I didn't know at the time but learned later in life, this was waaaay before cell phones, but moms had a call system to help track you down if needed or wanted to check on you.

Family relaxing time>

1.jpg

Bi-partisan Washington>

If the shoe fits right?

This. Coming home when the streetlights come on. Each mom had her own whistle or yell that your friends could discern from their own mother's. And something I didn't know at the time but learned later in life, this was waaaay before cell phones, but moms had a call system to help track you down if needed or wanted to check on you.
So true! When the sun went down, the parents started calling us in. We could hear my dad's whistle a mile away and we better hustle home when he whistled...no lollygagging. Lollygagging...there's a word for the yappi youngsters.

College football on Saturday only. I understand why the MAC plays on weekdays, but it sure is nice to have the 1 day for college football fans

I dont understand why power 5 teams play on weekdays