The world does not revolve around the sport of wrestling

WGTJ

Yes, the death part you mentioned is correct, but the young kids part is purely speculation/opinion. Not a single piece of tabulated data from reliable sources has stated that young kids are in more danger than the general population.

The data isn't the greatest as there has been less cases, but outside of newborns, which are in the same amount of danger as seniors typically, the little amount of data has said kids as young as toddlers seem to be better off than most.

Maybe you meant newborns, but your original statement is misleading if you meant more than that.
Even with newborns, the data says that they are not susceptible like they are with the flu. Some speculation has been that the young are not susceptible to this because they have not developed the receptors that COVID-19 needs to "stick" in the lungs.

eyes r burning

Even with newborns, the data says that they are not susceptible like they are with the flu. Some speculation has been that the young are not susceptible to this because they have not developed the receptors that COVID-19 needs to "stick" in the lungs.
That's what makes a lot of this strange. Typically, isn't typical it appears. I'm not completely against what's been done by our governor, but I'm questioning the lengths and reasoning behind it.

Pennsylvania, what in the heck are they doing? I'm not sure what they are seeing that we don't that calls for such drastic measures.

I feel really bad for all the people losing their livelihood when it appears that most of them won't truly be effected by this outside of strong flu symptoms.

oldguy77

Yes, the death part you mentioned is correct, but the young kids part is purely speculation/opinion. Not a single piece of tabulated data from reliable sources has stated that young kids are in more danger than the general population.

The data isn't the greatest as there has been less cases, but outside of newborns, which are in the same amount of danger as seniors typically, the little amount of data has said kids as young as toddlers seem to be better off than most.

Maybe you meant newborns, but your original statement is misleading if you meant more than that.
I am not a Dr, just stated what i read. It does seem that the youngest are not being infected as was originally thought would happen, which is great, and all the Drs can do at this time is speculate as to why this is the case. Most info concerning this virus is opinion as it is new, and hard facts will come afterwards.

wlpdrpat

That's what makes a lot of this strange. Typically, isn't typical it appears. I'm not completely against what's been done by our governor, but I'm questioning the lengths and reasoning behind it.

Pennsylvania, what in the heck are they doing? I'm not sure what they are seeing that we don't that calls for such drastic measures.

I feel really bad for all the people losing their livelihood when it appears that most of them won't truly be effected by this outside of strong flu symptoms.
It's a fairly straight forward mathematical calculation.
First, what percentage of the population will be infected -> estimate from CDC 20-60% but upto 80% of those won't know it.
Second, what percentage of those infected will require a ventilator -> 1% of confirmed cases thus far have required ventilation.
Third, how many ventilators do we currently have available. 200,000 nationwide

Based on those numbers:

360M Population in US x 20-60% =
72-216M will be infected x 1% =
720k-2.16M will need ventilation

The current projection in the US for requiring ventilation is 960K before the end of the pandemic.

Average patient that requires ventilation uses a ventilator for 14 days.

We only have 200K ventilators nationwide.

The whole point of social distancing is to prevent the immediate need for ventilators from surpassing the number of ventilators available because when that happens people that could have been saved will die because a ventilator isn't available.

PA is looking at their neighboring state NY that has moved into the acceleration phase of the virus with over 7K confirmed cases while their state currently only has 200 confirmed cases but many of them are already using ventilation.

The Governor of PA is trying to assist the medical professionals and the states population by slowing down the spread of the virus. If he didn't take action then within 4 weeks all of their ventilators would be in use and they would begin losing patient due to a lack of ventilators.

When you are the Governor you have to take your medical advisers recommendations and create decisions that are in the best interest of your states population. The decisions he is currently making are not popular because the majority of confirmed cases are in Philly and Pittsburgh. The rest of the state doesn't feel like they should be locked down because there are so few cases.

The drastic measures if followed will save a lot of lives but in the process it will ruin a lot of people financially.

Glad I'm not the one that has to make that call.