The Walking Dead is Back!

Oh my! Gasoline going bad? They are already making alcohol. They don't need no stinking gasoline.

Of course there's no mention that the gasoline is going bad until they want to move the narrative in another direction. The writers are lazy and the technical advisors are morons.

Glad I pulled the pin on this one. Have zero desire to go back either.

It was a smart move on your part and whatever you do don't go back! This will be my last season for FTWD. There's so much quality series TV out there I can't justify wasting my time on this one anymore.

The Walking Dead should be a lesson learned to everyone in the industry on what not to do. Myself and many family members and friends would be glued to the TV those first 3-4 seasons. We'd spend Saturday night at a damned bar talking about the show as much as sports. It was a great show.

Breaking Bad and Gilligan nailed it. Have a preset end date and end a great show properly (and timely). If you want to bleed it for all it is worth then create spinoffs but do not destroy the original product in the process.

Seriously guys.... none of you have mentioned the most unrealistic thing yet..... they found a car for sale at a used car lot that had a full tank of gas......

Anyone watch last night's episode? Thought it was an OK episode. Nothing special. Didn't really seem to set anything up. Still amazed at how dumb these people are as a group.

The one part that drove me crazy was when Eugene wanted to harvest technology from an unlikely source. This group is almost living in the dark ages and uses almost no technology even though it is literally sitting out everywhere. Now he comes across something and that is the technology that he thinks may help his community?

It was nice to see Oceanside doing what people have done from the dawn of time, harvest the sea. It was also nice to them adopt the phalanx when using edged and projectile weapons just as the ancient Greeks and Romans did, although, there is no reason in the world that would keep them from making gunpowder and rudimentary firearms and artillery.

Solid episode to kick off the new season. I liked the narrative structure where each segment had a title and the pieces all fit together to move the story along.

Yappi, Eugene was right to want scavenge the tech. There is a lot of stuff that could be repurposed from something like that. It would be crammed with electronics & materials unavailable anywhere else.

Purplemojo, I agree about the sea. I especially liked their collecting salt which would be of high value in that world. I wasn't as enthused about the phalanx as it wouldn't be much use against human adversaries the way they ran it and against the Dead there seems like better alternatives. My biggest problem is that the phalanx requires stout men and the WD version, while nicely PC & diverse, would have been cut to pieces by a real phalanx organized correctly.

And yes, the focus would be on gun powder. Even if they had to use muskets it would be a huge step above spears & a phalanx.

I read about this in the morning paper and figured I'd post it. New spinoff that takes place 10 years after the zombie apocolypse begins. There is a walled community that has survived and now these teens want to go out into the world in search of?

I will say this seems to carry a different tone than TWD and FTWD. Almost more happier? More children based?

This spinoff looks far better that FTWD. If I could make one change, I would make it 20 years into the future. All the kids should be born post apocalypse. From the preview, it looks like most of the kids are easily into their teens.

Yappi, Eugene was right to want scavenge the tech. There is a lot of stuff that could be repurposed from something like that. It would be crammed with electronics & materials unavailable anywhere else.
Technology has been EVERYWHERE on The Walking Dead but they have never used it. Most of their technology dates from the 1600s. Other communities are clearly able to use technology as they are flying helicopters.

For the advanced communities, salvaging that technology might make sense. For this group, they remind me of this scene from "2001: A Space Odyssey"

Technology has been EVERYWHERE on The Walking Dead but they have never used it. Most of their technology dates from the 1600s. Other communities are clearly able to use technology as they are flying helicopters.

For the advanced communities, salvaging that technology might make sense. For this group, they remind me of this scene from "2001: A Space Odyssey"

That's been one of the WD's biggest mistakes IMO. The collapse would not have been as complete as they show. There would have been a lot of large pockets of civilization surviving. The zombies are almost laughably inept. Once a civilization figured out a protocol to limit outbreaks within their community they should have been able to defend their communities and expand and clear out the zombies in the surrounding areas.

To be fair to the show though Eugene has been the one person interested in using & repurposing technology. Still at a minimum large US military bases would have survived and led the re-introduction of civilization across the US.

Agreed.

This preview for the new show indicates a successful group that was able to maintain civilization. I just get tired of watching TWD and the talk about how they are the only people prepared to handle this type of devastation. They are the worst example of people who were not able to adapt. I'm still hoping that we will see some groups enter this show that look at the main characters as savages who failed at common sense ideas.

Solid episode to kick off the new season. I liked the narrative structure where each segment had a title and the pieces all fit together to move the story along.

Purplemojo, I agree about the sea. I especially liked their collecting salt which would be of high value in that world. I wasn't as enthused about the phalanx as it wouldn't be much use against human adversaries the way they ran it and against the Dead there seems like better alternatives. My biggest problem is that the phalanx requires stout men and the WD version, while nicely PC & diverse, would have been cut to pieces by a real phalanx organized correctly.

And yes, the focus would be on gun powder. Even if they had to use muskets it would be a huge step above spears & a phalanx.

Mag see the first thing I thought of when I saw the phalanx was “lotr is going to love that.”

You’ve always wanted them to be more organized and almost military like.

I thought it was a badass opening.

Mag see the first thing I thought of when I saw the phalanx was “lotr is going to love that.”

You’ve always wanted them to be more organized and almost military like.

I thought it was a badass opening.

Don't get me wrong I liked the idea of it and yes this episode did show the communities getting more organized AND developing the coherent military needed in a world of flesh eating Zombies AND crazy homicidal human groups.

The best part of the show though was the titled narrative structure. I think this provided needed discipline for the writers to move the story along efficiently. Opening different segments with a title worked for me. I'm hoping they stick with this structure.

So, is Morgan dead .... it did not look goof for him the last time we saw him.....

So did you like this seasons FTWD Vamp2syd? I stuck with it even though at times it was hard. Part of it are the Morgan & Daniel characters which are two of my favorite characters in ether Dead series.

And while it often didn't work I thought the producers attempts to experiment in how the story was told was interesting (and at times distracting). In some ways FTWD is one of the weirdest shows on TV. It doesn't seem to know what it wants to be which in an odd way works.

So did you like this seasons FTWD Vamp2syd? I stuck with it even though at times it was hard. Part of it are the Morgan & Daniel characters which are two of my favorite characters in ether Dead series.

And while it often didn't work I thought the producers attempts to experiment in how the story was told was interesting (and at times distracting). In some ways FTWD is one of the weirdest shows on TV. It doesn't seem to know what it wants to be which in an odd way works.

Oddly, I agree. Especially on Morgan and Daniel.

With that in mind, Morgan isn't dead. The show needs him and that character deserves more than an implied off-screen death.

Don't get me wrong I liked the idea of it and yes this episode did show the communities getting more organized AND developing the coherent military needed in a world of flesh eating Zombies AND crazy homicidal human groups.

The best part of the show though was the titled narrative structure. I think this provided needed discipline for the writers to move the story along efficiently. Opening different segments with a title worked for me. I'm hoping they stick with this structure.

Did I miss what New Mexico meant?

It was hit or miss for me.

I liked the 2nd episode which provided a decent backstory for the skin face people. It was interesting to see how Alpha & beta hooked up.

I liked the 2nd episode which provided a decent backstory for the skin face people. It was interesting to see how Alpha & beta hooked up.

Do you buy into the idea that Beta was a popular singer before the apocalypse? Apparently he was on one of those album cover Daniel discovered recently in FTWD.

Do you buy into the idea that Beta was a popular singer before the apocalypse? Apparently he was on one of those album cover Daniel discovered recently in FTWD.

If that's true it sailed right over my head! Even as a kid I sucked at Easter Egg hunting!

The sense I had from the episode was that he was more of a nut case who was now thriving in the post apocalyptic world.

If that's true it sailed right over my head! Even as a kid I sucked at Easter Egg hunting!

The sense I had from the episode was that he was more of a nut case who was now thriving in the post apocalyptic world.

It’s interesting, even if not true: