The technical foul - Africentric/OG video

Question for the officials on here
Have you ever worked with a biased official?
I'm not accusing this ref of being racist, but sometimes it appears 'some' officials call certain calls a little tighter against certain teams.
I'm not referring to blocking, charges, 3 seconds, etc. Techs in basketball and unsportsmanlike conduct and excessive celebration in football.
The old adage " this team isn't going to get with THAT stuff tonight" or " Play the game the right way".

I'm not accusing this ref of being racist, but sometimes it appears 'some' officials call certain calls a little tighter against certain teams.
I'm not referring to blocking, charges, 3 seconds, etc. Techs in basketball and unsportsmanlike conduct and excessive celebration in football.
The old adage " this team isn't going to get with THAT stuff tonight" or " Play the game the right way".
I have in soccer. It’d be foolish to think it doesn’t exist at all in sports. But they weren’t guys working tournament games.

I’d like to think the biased refs, who are very few and far between, don’t make the state tournament.

Very similar dunk just happened in Houston/Illinois NCAA tourney game.

It was called a T. There a little more hang, but nothing excessive.

Those officials must have some implicit bias then. I’m sure Fleer will tweet about them.

I've never suspected a partner of making calls due to bias.

That said, I'm not naive enough to think there aren't any more biased officials than there are biased __________ (name the profession)

I didn't care for the call, but it's well known that the NCAA tournament is officiated more "by the book" than the regular season. If Brian O'Connell doesn't work the next round, it won't be because of that call.

I've worked with officials who are easily swayed by a particular coach or crowd, usually only in high school but it's happened in college games with inexperienced partners a few times. And I'm sure it happened to me earlier in my career.

I've never worked with an official who intentionally called a game one-sided unless he/she was just really good at disguising it (highly doubtful). Making a few questionable calls/no-calls against a particular team isn't evidence of bias.

the local radio broadcasters who were unbiased but clearly in OG's camp (the station is 15 miles from Ottawa and has done OG games this season) thought the call was wrong as well. Officiating in the state tournament always seems different than the regular season. Usually much less is called to "let the players decide the game".
Now i'm curious to know which station it was.

It’s also possible this player (whom I assume had multiple dunks in the game) had previously been warned that he was toeing the line. This still wouldn’t rise to the level of a technical foul, in my judgment, but it could be an explanation for why it was called.

If the official regretted the call, I would have loved to see him own up to it and correct himself with an inadvertent whistle. But the reality is, we often make decisions that we think are correct on the court, and don’t regret them until seeing the film afterwards.

As for the accusations from fanboys that this official was racist, he would have been accused of that even if it was the easiest technical foul ever. Nothing new there.
He was never warned....however I agree with the rest of your statement!

followed by a bunch of irrelevant mouth drainage

and something I'm not sure if it was out of place or more irrelevant.

If hanging was meant to create momentum for his team (which I guess they already had), it backfired. Regardless, that's where the coach comes in and gets his kids on track. A game has emotions. Letting them get in the way of winning means the other team was better.

That said, I wouldn't have expected a call there. Didn't seem like a true hang. But I wouldn't waste breath screaming about it either. Keep your hands off the rim, is how he should have been taught. If he preferred to have a moment, that's on the kid.
The kid wasn't emotional at all about the call, only that he couldn't believe it, the coach couldn't believe it but he as well didn't get visibly emotional it was 4th quarter, tight game, OG was making a run a Final 4 game he couldn't afford to. It was a bad call. Officials are human they make mistakes too!

How about this answer...

I tend to think there is more of a subconscious bias FOR More athletic teams.

For example...
Say...Winton Woods is playing Anderson.

WW guy picks Anderson kid(could be a foul, could not)...ref's head saying(WW kid uch quicker, clean pic).
Say it's reversed, and the foul is called; in refs head it's "Anderson kid not quick enough to steal that ball...foul"

WW guy jumps over guy boxing out to get ball...no call
Anderson guy out jumps WW for rebound...foul (in ref's head...anderson kid couldn't have gotten that cleanly).

In 30 years of watching games, I do think that's a subconscious reaction refs have.

On thread topic, this was an absolute JOKE of a technical foul. Reminded me of a technical that was called against Lorain (I believe) a few years ago... And unfortunately it was not contained to just HS this weekend. The exact same call went against Illinois in their game over the weekend.

The tech was very weak and likely has zero to do with race.

I have seen black/white/brown kids all dunk and hang more than that with no T. I have also seen black/white/brown kids called for less even with a kid under his legs. I think it is just a bad rule. Short of doing a complete chin up or wiggling on the rim like a fish on a hook - let it go.

I have also seen kids break their wrist on more than one occasion from letting go - never seen an injury from hanging on.

Maybe they need to change the rule - glad they got refs away from being the tattoo, shooting sleeve, headband, spandex police so they can focus on their primary job.

How about this answer...

For example...

WW guy picks Anderson kid(could be a foul, could not)...ref's head saying(WW kid uch quicker, clean pic).
Say it's reversed, and the foul is called; in refs head it's "Anderson kid not quick enough to steal that ball...foul"

Anderson guy out jumps WW for rebound...foul (in ref's head...anderson kid couldn't have gotten that cleanly).

In 30 years of watching games, I do think that's a subconscious reaction refs have.
I think another missing point is that these officials are trained to call games in a certain way. There are differences between districts, divisions, and leagues. The school I follow I think has officials that call a tight game and have for 30+ years. When they get to the tournament, the officials seem to let them play alot more (at least at the district level in my area). IMO, I would like to see our league loosen up the calls to get more accustomed to how they call it in the tournament.

How about this answer...

For example...

or subconscious reaction an observer in the stands might have. A bit of a Heisenberg uncertainty.

People go through training to TRY and remove those reactions. Fans do not. Wouldn't that be a fun requirement before someone could buy a ticket, lol

Do refs generally get together before a game and discuss these things?