The State of Lancaster Golden Gales Basketball....

My son plays for the Pickerington Ridgeview 8th grade team. We played Ewing earlier today and the final score was 80-4. The Ridgeview coach wasn’t trying to run it up or anything like that. The issue was not coaching. The Ridgeview 8th grade class is off the charts. I just think high school basketball is going through a transition period in that AAU is taking over. Kids are transferring all over the place and Lancaster isn’t a destination school for most AAU players. Our most competitive game will be against Pickerington Lakeview and Reynoldsburg. The 7th grade class at Ewing seemed really competitive so Lancaster just needs 2-3 good classes in a row. Good luck the rest of the season.

Your bench players are better than our starters. If any of them would like to compete for starting positions on the JV and Varsity teams at Lancaster next season they would be more than welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fundamentals for Lancaster are completely lacking....against Logan they committed 22 turnovers. Until they can even think about competing they have to figure out how to not turn the ball over every other trip down the court.

Is Lancaster seriously playing Patriot Prep? W.T.F!!!-

1803 Granville Pike dished Patriot Prep tonight. 38-14 at half. Let’s see how much #GranvillePike can beat them by. Thought I saw some of the staff scouting their future opponents tonight, but maybe I mistook them for members of the general public wearing some Gale swag.

Backdoors all night long, get to the rim and you’re set. Match William V’s dunk total tonight, and you’ll be shutting in high cotton.

And another loss..this time to Hilliard Davidson 43-27.

That brings the Gales record to 2-4 on the season. The two wins are against Washington Courthouse (45-42) and Grove City (40-38). In their 4 losses they have lost by an average of 29ppg.

I hate to say this but at the end of the season I think coaching changes need made from Varsity all the way down to the 7th grade teams and the players need to understand that nobody’s spot on the team is safe. The new coach needs to take the best athletes that tryout regardless of previous program participation.

And who would be good enough candidates for this job?

FC coach. But, I’m happy with where he is.

What every program around Lancaster has accomplished recently surpasses the relevance of the Lancaster o’yesteryear. No one here, on the former JJHuddle, on social media or in the stands is getting on Lancaster hoops to humiliate the kids.But, this is what it will take for Lancaster to realize they have to both be serious about hoops and get serious about hoops — if not for their own good, then for the good of their kids and the district as a whole.

Full stop.

Last edited:
FU coach Alex Eversole would be another good candidate.

Phil McKnight would even make sense... LOL

And who would be good enough candidates for this job?

I don’t have the answer to that question but it has to be someone who can actually improve the program...Lancaster hasn’t had a winning season since 2006-2007. We are on our third coach and still getting same results.

I don’t have the answer to that question but it has to be someone who can actually improve the program...Lancaster hasn’t had a winning season since 2006-2007. We are on our third coach and still getting same results.

*clears throat*

“Ahem...”

At this point I think there are good enough athletes roaming the halls of Lancaster high school that you could have a coach come in and pick the best 8-10 athletes have them practice for a month and beat the current varsity team.

I was told by a basketball parent that Riggs doesn’t want his players lifting weights at all in season and that has kept several athletes from coming out in recent years

All Ohio basketball is now is kids all transfer to one school with their AAU teammates. Just find a used car salesman like Pick Central. He sucks at coaching but a great recruiter

All Ohio basketball is now is kids all transfer to one school with their AAU teammates. Just find a used car salesman like Pick Central. He sucks at coaching but a great recruiter

I will agree with your first point regarding transfers. It is out of control, kids are transferring all over the place. Regarding your accusations that the PC coach recruits, that is simply not true. In fact, PC had two players transfer out to some school in Lima. Two players transferred in from Springfield. One of the two was originally from Pickerington, left then came back this year. Pickerington recruits itself, the coaches don’t need to get into that nonsense. The homegrown talent is off the charts. Lancaster is not an attractive designation for athletes. The location and their reputation for not being very receptive to minorities doesn’t help.

Will Lancaster’s athletic director get rid of Riggs and begin the search for a new coach? Or will we get to expect the same pathetic basketball program next season?

They did miss out. There is one other Lancaster Alumni coaching in a successful program that I believe would be a good fit for rebuilding the program. That is current Columbus South Varsity Assistant Shawn Withem. He has been a big part of that programs rebuilding and I believe he could bring that knowledge to Lancaster and be successful.

Lancaster kids are more than welcome to travel 300 yards up Route 37 to attend a school, and play for a coach, who’ll welcome them as one of their own and prepare themselves in the classroom, on the court and outside the school as not just basketball players but also upstanding young men.