the Oscars

bigkat

after i put the title, i didn't know what to type out. I really haven't watched it in years, maybe the opening monolog. But with Jimmy Kimmel doing it this year, not sure I can stomach it.......

Not interested in the show, but, I am interested in the results. I'll check those out the next morning.
This.

The NY Times did an interesting story on the amount of $s spent advertising/promoting/lobbying on behalf of films and stars; it is insane the huge budgets and manpower that goes on for these campaigns. With past history showing not every most deserving performance win why bother on checking out results? I guess it is to give a feel for what the creative class of Hollywood considers their direction for the art form and what will be coming out in the near future with regards to more thoughtful films. My guess is if Everything Everywhere All at Once wins best picture we are solidly back to the trippy era of film and the message stuff may be waning. Also look to see how controlled the show is, unlike Broadway Hollywood likes everything scripted with no surprises like the Chris Rock Will Smith thing.

Too bad David Niven isn't still around to add some badly-needed class to the affair.

I remember when streaking was all the rage in the '70s, died down in the states since then but is still a thing at Euro football matches.

I remember when streaking was all the rage in the '70s, died down in the states since then but is still a thing at Euro football matches.
Did not know that about soccer overseas, but am not surprised. We had one at our high school football game twenty years ago. A kid came out of of the bleachers, crossed the field, then hopped the back fence which had three strands of barbed wire at the top. All of us in the bleachers said "Ouch!" at the same time. No injury reported, thank goodness.

Last edited:
Didn't watch any of it, but would have gone with some different winners.

While I enjoyed Everything, Everywhere All at Once and it was in my top 10, it won far too many awards.

I wouldn't have given it Best Picture, and though I haven't seen all of the Supporting Actress performances, Angela Bassett (the frontrunner coming in) definitely deserved it over Jamie Lee Curtis. Curtis was even shocked she won.

While I enjoyed Everything, Everywhere All at Once and it was in my top 10, it won far too many awards.

I wouldn't have given it Best Picture, and though I haven't seen all of the Supporting Actress performances, Angela Bassett (the frontrunner coming in) definitely deserved it over Jamie Lee Curtis. Curtis was even shocked she won.
so what was the movie about?

so what was the movie about?

that's a hard one to explain. I'll let the Internet handle that one lol.

Everything Everywhere All at Once is a 2022 American science fiction[6] comedy-drama film written and directed by Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert, who co-produced it with Anthony and Joe Russo. It follows Evelyn Wang, a Chinese-American immigrant who, while being audited for income tax, discovers that she must connect with parallel universe versions of herself to prevent a powerful being from destroying the multiverse.

and while Temple of Doom is my least favorite Indiana Jones film, good for Short Round winning Best Supporting Actor last night.

Angela Basset didn't get my vote. I really liked the character but not the portrayal. Whether that was director or actor choices, IDK. But bad-azzes don't go out screaming in fear.

I don't think JLC or Bassett deserved Supporting Actress. Stephanie Hsu and Kerry Condon were better than both of them

yea, I didn't see all of them so I don't know if either should have, I just would have put Bassett over JLC.
I would have put it

1. Stephanie Hsu
2. Kerry Condon
3. Hong Chau
4. Angela Bassett
5. Jamie Lee Curtis

JLC won because there was no runaway favorite and she was in the overwhelming favorite for Picture. That and she campaigned her butt off

Gee I don't know...escaping the slavery imposed by the Egyptians is a pretty big part of the Bible 🤷‍♂️

Crying about lack of diversity on a movie (or anywhere) who cares? Give me the best most talented regardless. They happen to be all white oh well. They happen to be all black oh well. Wonder if he cries about the lack of diversity in oh I don't know the typical NBA locker room?

Ke Huy Quan looks to have the best moment of the evening, 2nd best might be the Irish midget getting Happy Birthday sung to him. The big negative I have seen so far is Jimmy Kimmel trying to yuck it up with the Pakistani Noble Peace Prize winner and not getting the gravitas of her being in the audience. Bonus points then for the cocaine bear showing up to double down on the situation.

Ke Huy Quan looks to have the best moment of the evening, 2nd best might be the Irish midget getting Happy Birthday sung to him. The big negative I have seen so far is Jimmy Kimmel trying to yuck it up with the Pakistani Noble Peace Prize winner and not getting the gravitas of her being in the audience. Bonus points then for the cocaine bear showing up to double down on the situation.
A leprechaun was it?

I didn't like the EEAAO song
Caveat: This is the only I couldn't find on youtube until I went back and looked after your response. I don't see how that even got a nomination. The performance was over-produced and Byrne's voice is shot. Not that the others were any better.

I liked the Gaga one very much.

Caveat: This is the only I couldn't find on youtube until I went back and looked after your response. I don't see how that even got a nomination. The performance was over-produced and Byrne's voice is shot. Not that the others were any better.

I liked the Gaga one very much.
The actual singer of the EEAAO song, Mitski, didn't attend. The studio version is better

The Naatu Naatu performance was the best of the night for me for sure

The actual singer of the EEAAO song, Mitski, didn't attend. The studio version is better

The Naatu Naatu performance was the best of the night for me for sure
gave me a cramp just watching the video. That's the sort of thing I'd be pretty sure was sped up in the editing room but apparently, not. lol How the hell can they even sing at the same time?