The OHSAA has begun discussing the possibility that fall sports could be delayed

I am curious how OHSAA will recover from the enormous drop in their revenue.
Looking at their financial reports, they did have a sizeable rainy day fund. But that was for low revenue (bad weather, etc).... Not just shutting down before the finals of their second biggest sports and possibly missing an entire season of sports.

Will be interesting how all the state associations handle this.

The main OHSAA organization only cash in at Regional and State level. The Sectional and District cash stay at the mostly independent District Boards.

I know LCF is a tad cynical about the OHSAA, but the organization is important and finances do matter.

Hopefully they don't institute a charge to each of the schools.

But maybe the public schools might have a little extra money to make a payment after this is all done. I imagine they will still get the same amount of money to fund the schools but there should be some savings by not having the schools and sports open for a long period.

Looking at their financial reports, they did have a sizeable rainy day fund. But that was for low revenue (bad weather, etc).... Not just shutting down before the finals of their second biggest sports and possibly missing an entire season of sports.

Will be interesting how all the state associations handle this.

Well they are saving money by not operating at all compared to running everything with low revenue. I’d imagine they’ll be relatively fine if fall sports go on as normal. If the fall sports are canceled then they’ll probably be looking at big issues.

If they lost out on basketball state finals, all of spring, and the cash of football, they’d be in a world of hurt. That’s basically an entire year of revenue.

Not sure what they are doing with staffing now, but I'd expect they have made layoffs. They could be eligible for the newly passed SBA's Paycheck Protection Program which could help maintain staffing, but not help with lost revenues.

I'd think they would keep paying for the catastrophic insurance policy on all athletes (not all state associations do that), but perhaps cutbacks on travel expenses paid to schools or the portion of ticket dollars they let schools keep could be cut out.

The OHSAA does have it in their bylaws that they CAN charge membership dues. Not sure if that is on the table.

Membership dues will almost certainly be applied. It has been awhile, but they have charged them in the past. And most state associations charge them already.

The main OHSAA organization only cash in at Regional and State level. The Sectional and District cash stay at the mostly independent District Boards.

I know LCF is a tad cynical about the OHSAA, but the organization is important and finances do matter.
Overall all you are correct about my feelings about the O.H.S.A.A. because I can see that they can and do rip the fan off, with ticket prices to high school games. Won't debate it. But as I tweeted out to J.S. he is doing a good job with all that is going on, especially with his hands being controlled by the governor.

Well they are saving money by not operating at all compared to running everything with low revenue. I’d imagine they’ll be relatively fine if fall sports go on as normal. If the fall sports are canceled then they’ll probably be looking at big issues.
Most teachers and administrators have a 12 month salaried contract that pays them through snow days, etc. My guess is they get paid whether working or not. Many schools are working with Zoom or other software, teaching online. Typically 85% of school budgets are payroll.
Coaches supplemental payrolls and bus drivers pay would probably be gone, but that’s about it.
How is the state going to replace the sales tax on eating-in restaurants that are closed or carry out only?

Most teachers and administrators have a 12 month salaried contract that pays them through snow days, etc. My guess is they get paid whether working or not. Many schools are working with Zoom or other software, teaching online. Typically 85% of school budgets are payroll.
Coaches supplemental payrolls and bus drivers pay would probably be gone, but that’s about it.
How is the state going to replace the sales tax on eating-in restaurants that are closed or carry out only?
Lost sales tax at retail stores.

Lost income tax from people not working.

The state cannot invent play money like they can in Washington.

Hoping I am wrong but most likely we will be without all football this Fall(high school, college, NFL).
I think the NFL is the one sport that has the best chance to play, for the simple fact that they have the gall, greed, cajones and unmitigated narcissism to push it to the absolute limits, no matter the circumstances. I can picture the league and the players at odds over how safe each feels it is to play. I think this thing will have to take quite a turn for HS & college ball to have any chance.

I think the NFL is the one sport that has the best chance to play, for the simple fact that they have the gall, greed, cajones and unmitigated narcissism to push it to the absolute limits, no matter the circumstances. I can picture the league and the players at odds over how safe each feels it is to play. I think this thing will have to take quite a turn for HS & college ball to have any chance.
Chris Simms, on Mike Florio's ProFootballTalk earlier this week, regarding the NFL's insistence on going forward amidst the current pandemic:

"I mean, okay, now it's week 3 and somebody on the Dallas Cowboys gets Covid-19 in the locker room. What are, what are we gonna do? Just the Cowboys aren't gonna play? [Have Mike McCarthy] say 'screw it, hey team? Sorry we're a team and we're all getting Covid-19'... what if Tom Brady got Covid-19?"

Great point on the league and the players being at odds. Especially since a decent percentage of the players in the league potentially could have a co-morbidity concern (offensive linemen and their weight.) I bet Jerry Jones is going to stay way the hell away from his team.

Hoping I am wrong but most likely we will be without all football this Fall(high school, college, NFL).
If we are at that point come fall then no football would be the least of our problems. The economy would be completely decimated and the effects would be catastrophic. I don't think that will happen.

If we are at that point come fall then no football would be the least of our problems. The economy would be completely decimated and the effects would be catastrophic. I don't think that will happen.

I am with you jaws. If were not playing football in the fall there is so much more going on that no one cares at that point.

I am with you jaws. If were not playing football in the fall there is so much more going on that no one cares at that point.
I think it's feasible that we've gotten some sense of normalcy back by that time, football just may not be part of it, especially college football. I don't know how big colleges are going to be able to manage putting thousands of kids in dorms and lecture halls, and if there are no students on campus, they won't be any student-athletes playing football. I know someone that works for a textbook and educational resources company, and they are already working on ramping up their digital text book catalog because they aren't expecting big schools to go back in the fall.

I think it's feasible that we've gotten some sense of normalcy back by that time, football just may not be part of it, especially college football. I don't know how big colleges are going to be able to manage putting thousands of kids in dorms and lecture halls, and if there are no students on campus, they won't be any student-athletes playing football. I know someone that works for a textbook and educational resources company, and they are already working on ramping up their digital text book catalog because they aren't expecting big schools to go back in the fall.
If colleges don't have kids back in classes in the fall then there is no chance that things will be back to a sense of normalcy.

Headline from cleveland.com:
Cleveland Mayor Frank Jackson says city will ban summer events, large gatherings to slow coronavirus spread.

I am not condoning what Mayor Jackson did, I am simply stating a fact. Permits for large events have to be approved months in advance. At this time Mayor Jackson stated no permits will be issued. This includes two of the largest, The Feast (in Little Italy) which occurs mid-August and the Cleveland Air Show over Labor Day weekend.

My question is, does a "large gathering" include summer practices for high school football teams. If it does, by my count, there are 11 high schools within the Cleveland city limits which field a football team, which could be affected by this mandate.

If colleges don't have kids back in classes in the fall then there is no chance that things will be back to a sense of normalcy.
You may have schools like John Carroll or Mount Union starting on time with certain safety policies in place, but larger schools like OSU, Kent State and Cincinnati will have a more difficult time. Certain aspects of education and day to day life will come back slower than others.

You may have schools like John Carroll or Mount Union starting on time with certain safety policies in place, but larger schools like OSU, Kent State and Cincinnati will have a more difficult time. Certain aspects of education and day to day life will come back slower than others.

I'm not so sure they would. I don't think they could afford to take the financial hit if they were to open in the fall and have a considerable percentage of students not enroll for the fall term either due to safety fears or because the students' financial situations have been adversely affected since mid-March. I'm sure everyone will be watching what happens at Liberty U. through the rest of the spring.

I have a relative on faculty at a school about the same size as John Carroll and Mount Union, and that school has delayed budgetary planning for next school year because there is concern about students, especially incoming freshmen, choosing to delay enrolling until the spring semester or simply not enrolling at all for next year. Furthermore, colleges will be acting like everyone else by attempting to cut anything they can from their budgets in order to get their finances back on track without having to touch their precious endowments. There's also the issue of what to do if you're a school with a large percentage of international students (IIRC, my alma mater was 10-15% international). If they went home, when will they be able to return? How do you replace that chunk of revenue if they cannot return at the same time as the domestic student body?

It won't be the case for John Carroll and Mount Union, but some small private colleges were already on thin ice and are not going to be able to survive this situation. I saw an article today about a smaller private college in Illinois that announced it's closing for good. The school was barely hanging on before this situation became the straw that broke the camel's back.

If colleges do open in the fall, I could see there being a sharp increase in enrollment at branch campuses for at least the fall semester.

Last edited:
I'm not so sure they would. I don't think they could afford to take the financial hit if they were to open in the fall and have a considerable percentage of students not enroll for the fall term either due to safety fears or because the students' financial situations have been adversely affected since mid-March. I'm sure everyone will be watching what happens at Liberty U. through the rest of the spring.

I have a relative on faculty at a school about the same size as John Carroll and Mount Union, and that school has delayed budgetary planing for next school year because they are worried about students, especially incoming freshmen, choosing to delay enrolling until the spring semester or simply not enrolling at all for next year. Furthermore, colleges will be doing like everyone else by attempting to cut anything they can from their budgets in order to get their finances back on track without having to touch their precious endowments. There's also the issue of what to do if you're a school with a large percentage of international students (IIRC, my alma mater was 10-15% international). If they went home, when will they be able to return? How do you replace that revenue if they cannot return?

It won't be the case for John Carroll and Mount Union, but some small private colleges were already on thin ice and are not going to be able to survive this situation. I saw an article today about a smaller private college in Illinois that announced it's closing for good. The school was barely hanging on before this situation became the straw that broke the camel's back.

If colleges do open in the fall, I could see there being a sharp increase in enrollment at branch campuses for at least the fall semester.
That all makes a lot of sense. Hopefully no one will hold up Liberty U. as any sort of serious example, unless you're trying to show how a reckless and ignorant university president can create an instant health crisis when your students well-being is the last thing you're interested in.

That all makes a lot of sense. Hopefully no one will hold up Liberty U. as any sort of serious example, unless you're trying to show how a reckless and ignorant university president can create an instant health crisis when your students well-being is the last thing you're interested in.
I'm with you on that, but if there is no spread on that campus after bringing a few thousand students back from a multitude of places, then other schools' leaders may decide it's OK for them to do it, too. I'm sure the presidents and their trustees are all eager to get their schools' finances back to normal, but not until they're also certain they're not opening themselves up to a ton of liability by bringing large numbers of people back onto their campuses.