'The' Ohio State University wants to trademark THE

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Ohio State University athletes and coaches who insist that you call it "THE Ohio State University" could soon have the federal government on their side after the university filed a request to trademark the word "the" last week.

Application No. 88571984, filed with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office on Thursday, was discovered and publicized Tuesday by Josh Gerben, a prominent trademark lawyer in Washington. The application seeks a trademark on the single word "THE" for use on T-shirts and baseball caps and hats.

Exactly when did this "The" pretension become a thing, and who can we blame for it?
The way I see it, started with Ohio St then grew with those mocking Ohio St. butt they're the only one's not getting the joke. How do they not see the backfire on this? Now the academic side wants to jump on the -hat bandwagon? Reaffirm the popular opinion of the sports fans?

Gotta be fake news. But if not?

Ohio St should stop trying to be Michigan and remember they're missioned as a land grant school. They're not struggling for students. They're not struggling for revenue. They're only struggling with humble and serving the population of the state.

Exactly when did this "The" pretension become a thing, and who can we blame for it?

About 15 years ago there was a plan to merge all of the Ohio state public colleges together into one unified system where it would be easy for students to transfer from one school to another, financial aid assistance, etc.

The plan was, all schools would have been under the Ohio State name. So "The Ohio State University: Cincinnati" "The Ohio State University: Akron", etc...

Obviously the plan didn't go through (though they did all switch to semesters to help with transferring credits), but at the time some Ohio State fans and administrators chose to keep the "THE" for fun, and it's grown from there.

About 15 years ago there was a plan to merge all of the Ohio state public colleges together into one unified system where it would be easy for students to transfer from one school to another, financial aid assistance, etc.

The plan was, all schools would have been under the Ohio State name. So "The Ohio State University: Cincinnati" "The Ohio State University: Akron", etc...

Obviously the plan didn't go through (though they did all switch to semesters to help with transferring credits), but at the time some Ohio State fans and administrators chose to keep the "THE" for fun, and it's grown from there.

This is more consistent with MY understanding of the origin
Why the the?

I think you're right, it was about 15 years ago, the State Board initiated a move towards transfer credits. The historically municipal Universities of course balked at the idea of being associated with an institution they saw as building itself on money from those communities but were fine with credits transfer. The transfer measures are mostly lipstick on a pig. Everyone puts a few common questions, not even particularly hard questions on the Final and magic, the credit transfers.

I thought Gordon Gee started it, but I can't find anything to verify that.
I remember he used to call the school by that name in the '90s during promos on the radio telecasts of the football games. He didn't emphasize "THE" in the same manner that many of their blowhard fans do today, but Gee would refer to the school as "The Ohio State University." It seemed to take that next step after the '03 National Championship, so I can only assume Tressel was helping to lead the flock to that next rung on the ladder of arrogance.

I remember he used to call the school by that name in the '90s during promos on the radio telecasts of the football games. He didn't emphasize "THE" in the same manner that many of their blowhard fans do today, but Gee would refer to the school as "The Ohio State University." It seemed to take that next step after the '03 National Championship, so I can only assume Tressel was helping to lead the flock to that next rung on the ladder of arrogance.

The link I posted said the school did it themselves in 86. Possibly he just picke up on that?

I thought the reason was because Ohio State used the word "Ohio" on it's jerseys. Ohio University made a claim that they are Ohio and Ohio State should not be able to wear only "Ohio". In response to that, they started calling themselves THE OHIO State University to emphasize they were the real Ohio.

I thought the reason was because Ohio State used the word "Ohio" on it's jerseys. Ohio University made a claim that they are Ohio and Ohio State should not be able to wear only "Ohio". In response to that, they started calling themselves THE OHIO State University to emphasize they were the real Ohio.
OMG!!!! Are you trying to tell us that Ohio University -- the FIRST university chartered by Congress in Ohio -- had the audacity to wear "Ohio" on its jerseys?
How arrogant could that possibly be? :sick::sick:

Clearly, OSU has been victimized here. :p:p

I pronounce it thuh... As in "shut up, you are making me want to root for "thuh" team up north" ..."what 'thee' hell are you suing for again?"

I mean their real name is Ohio Agricultural and Mechanical College. They are the state’s farm school

OMG!!!! Are you trying to tell us that Ohio University -- the FIRST university chartered by Congress in Ohio -- had the audacity to wear "Ohio" on its jerseys?
How arrogant could that possibly be? :sick::sick:

Clearly, OSU has been victimized here. :p:p
I wasn't clear enough. "Ohio State" wore the "Ohio" jerseys. OU was the one that was upset because they claimed ownership of "Ohio."

Personally, I thought both schools were wrong. They are "Ohio State University" and "Ohio University". Neither of them should have an exclusive claim to "Ohio." If "Ohio Northern" wants to where "Ohio," they have every right, IMO.

The Band is going to have to expand to include THE in the script, The Ohio State.

Back in the early 90's, Ohio U wanted to trademark Ohio, Ohio St sued; the lawsuit was settled, Ohio got Ohio, Duh Ohio St got the right to use Ohio in certain circumstances.
BTW the University system in Ohio was established in 2007 under Gov Strickland, there was never any serious discussion about having all the public university schools using Ohio State at Akron, for ex.

This is in response to a t-shirt company selling t-shirts that have a gray Ohio with THE in red letters in the middle of it. Greedy Ohio State doesn't want someone else to make money off of it.

Strikes me as “ballsy”. Will we have to pay a stipend to use the word “the”. Will “The Zips”, “The Cornhuskers”, “The Cardinal”? pompous azzes.