The Official NE8 Thread

Hopefully the cats OOC opponents won’t disappoint as much as they did last year. (The ones we beat ).
I remember Lakeside was small in numbers last yr. Not sure what they have coming back or if they will increase their numbers. West Branch struggled last yr, but they should improve? Crestwood was 6-4 last yr. Take care of business against the OOC, and pray. Side note: New Philly was crazy good with that QB (Maye) and that WR (Joseph) they had so much depth and traveled well. Maye doesnt get hurt at the end of the yr, and who knows what happens in D3. I would have made the trip to New Philly. Shame it was just a one yr deal. I'm ready for some football at Laddie Fedor

Interested to hear what the word is from the teams that have begun working out as things have "partially" opened back up. Not sure anyone on here is close enough to a program to really know.
I am not close enough to any program, but I have driven past a few schools and have seem some players out doing some drills at there stadiums.

I remember Lakeside was small in numbers last yr. Not sure what they have coming back or if they will increase their numbers. West Branch struggled last yr, but they should improve? Crestwood was 6-4 last yr. Take care of business against the OOC, and pray. Side note: New Philly was crazy good with that QB (Maye) and that WR (Joseph) they had so much depth and traveled well. Maye doesnt get hurt at the end of the yr, and who knows what happens in D3. I would have made the trip to New Philly. Shame it was just a one yr deal. I'm ready for some football at Laddie Fedor
Nancy already had Crestwood penciled in for Week Two for '20 and '21. Pretty much knew going in that it was only a one year deal. Had it been for two years I'd have circled it on the calendar and planned on flying out to see a game at Quaker Stadium.
However, Crestwood might not be a bad replacement after all.

Here's my thoughts on the OOC schedule...

Don't expect much from Lakeside. Cats should tear them apart. They did have some good athletes last year if memory serves, like the QB... so I think they'll have some talent back. But Lakeside is clearly at the bottom of the CVC. They'll probably only win 1 game, 2 at the most. They're not on the schedule to be a challenge or even a potential Harbin cow. They're on the schedule to be a tune up.

Crestwood had an ok year last year. But look at their schedule... it was weaker than Salem's. They also lost a lot to graduation. I think they're gonna take a step back this year. They should still win some games... definitely could've found someone more competitive, closer to home, and/or that would've brought more L2 points to the table though. The AD dropped the ball on this one.
Why couldn't we play Chaney?

West Branch has to be better than last year. It's hard to imagine them being any worse. I'm still only expecting like 4-6 or 5-5. They'll probably go 2-4 or 3-3 in the EBC and might win 2/4 of their OOC games.

IMHO... Cats should beat Lakeside 44-0 or 49-7, something like that. And they should beat both Crestwood and West Branch each by 3 or 4 scores.

But we'll see...

The base enrollment numbers are the same as last year, right? Just the CB numbers are different?
For example, Struthers's base number was 218. And I think their CB number was 7. So their adjusted number was 225.

Anyone know what those numbers are for each of the NE8 schools this year? I know Hubbard is the only school to move up or down a division... just curious where everyone is at in that regard.

Also, can someone give a short summary of how the new CB rules work?

Here's what I found...

D3 is 272-375
D4 is 209-271
D5 is 163-207

Niles 310 +12 = 322
Hubbard 256 +16 = 272
Poland 240 +0 = 240
Lakeview 231 +4 = 235
Girard 227 +0 = 227
Struthers 218 +6 = 224
Jefferson 188 +3 = 191
South Range 156 +7 = 163

Hubbard is the smallest school in D3... they were the largest school in D4 last year. South Range is the smallest school in D5. Niles actually has a bigger adjusted enrollment than Canfield. Howland's adjusted enrollment is larger than Niles's.

Here's my thoughts on the OOC schedule...

Don't expect much from Lakeside. Cats should tear them apart. They did have some good athletes last year if memory serves, like the QB... so I think they'll have some talent back. But Lakeside is clearly at the bottom of the CVC. They'll probably only win 1 game, 2 at the most. They're not on the schedule to be a challenge or even a potential Harbin cow. They're on the schedule to be a tune up.

Crestwood had an ok year last year. But look at their schedule... it was weaker than Salem's. They also lost a lot to graduation. I think they're gonna take a step back this year. They should still win some games... definitely could've found someone more competitive, closer to home, and/or that would've brought more L2 points to the table though. The AD dropped the ball on this one.
Why couldn't we play Chaney?

West Branch has to be better than last year. It's hard to imagine them being any worse. I'm still only expecting like 4-6 or 5-5. They'll probably go 2-4 or 3-3 in the EBC and might win 2/4 of their OOC games.

IMHO... Cats should beat Lakeside 44-0 or 49-7, something like that. And they should beat both Crestwood and West Branch each by 3 or 4 scores.

But we'll see...
Lakeside returns a lot, they won’t be as bad as last year I honestly see a 2 score game with them this year, especially week 1. Crestwood is a gimme, and thank god we play WB at home, those refs last year were the absolute worst I’ve seen since when the cats played field

Lakeside returns a lot, they won’t be as bad as last year I honestly see a 2 score game with them this year, especially week 1. Crestwood is a gimme, and thank god we play WB at home, those refs last year were the absolute worst I’ve seen since when the cats played field
Yeah the refs kept that game from being 40 pt blowout lol
But I agree about lakeside. I’d say like a 28-14 game or so. I don’t think they’re gonna just let hall off the leash so quickly.

Yeah the refs kept that game from being 40 pt blowout lol
But I agree about lakeside. I’d say like a 28-14 game or so. I don’t think they’re gonna just let hall off the leash so quickly.

You see where I'm coming from...
If they do let Hall loose in week 1, I don't think Lakeside will have an answer. If they go more conservative, then yeah. It should be a little closer. Like 35-14 or something. But a mercy rule game wouldn't surprise me either.

If they do let Hall loose in week 1, I don't think Lakeside will have an answer. If they go more conservative, then yeah. It should be a little closer. Like 35-14 or something. But a mercy rule game wouldn't surprise me either.
We aren’t going to be that good. You have to temper your expectations my man.

Im note worried about the defense, cats should put up big numbers early on, but I’m concerned about the defense

What about Jefferson and Lakeview out and add W.B. And Salem? Lakeview and Jefferson can join the MVC

I like this idea. But the last couple years not withstanding, Lakeview hasn't been bad enough to warrant them getting kicked out of the conference. 2018 they were 4-6 and 2019 they were 2-8. Before that, they were way better than West Branch and Salem.
But I don't see Lakeview turning it around anytime soon.

I'll say yes. Definitely get rid of Jefferson. Howland, Salem, West Branch, possibly some AAC schools like Liberty or LaBrae... any of them would be better than Jefferson.
I'm not ready to kick Lakeview out of the NE8 yet... but it's something to think about if they don't turn things around soon.

Last edited:
We aren’t going to be that good. You have to temper your expectations my man.

It's Ashtabula Lakeside... not Poland. Next to Jefferson, they're probably the 2nd worst team on the schedule. Them or Lakeview.
I'm not gonna temper my expectations for Lakeside.

IMO, there's only 3 games on the schedule that Struthers shouldn't be favored in. Hubbard, South Range, and Poland. Not saying the rest will be cake walks, but they should be the favorite in those other 7.

It's Ashtabula Lakeside... not Poland. Next to Jefferson, they're probably the 2nd worst team on the schedule. Them or Lakeview.
I'm not gonna temper my expectations for Lakeside.

IMO, there's only 3 games on the schedule that Struthers shouldn't be favored in. Hubbard, South Range, and Poland. Not saying the rest will be cake walks, but they should be the favorite in those other 7.
I’m talking for the whole year. 6-4 tops. Very tops. Sad to say. No line.

I’m talking for the whole year. 6-4 tops. Very tops. Sad to say. No line.

Okay. But I never said anything about the entire season. Was only talking about the first 3 games. And really only the Lakeside game when you said to temper expectations.

Okay. But I never said anything about the entire season. Was only talking about the first 3 games. And really only the Lakeside game when you said to temper expectations.
Listen I’m just trying to help you look not dumb like you usually look

And mr trev you’ve been on this site saying 8-2 for a few weeks lol

When did I flat out say 8-2?
I recall saying, in a round about way, between 6-4 and 8-2. I don't think I ever gave a prediction though... but even if I did, it's too soon to tell anyway. Any predictions made now should be taken with a grain of salt.