The Official NE8 Thread

As a Boardman fan, I can’t say I disagree. I feel like head coaching, other than DJ Ogilvie, has been poor since probably the mid 90’s. A lot of great talent not maximized with on field team results. It seems like Boardman tends to perform about 2 wins below what they should most years and seem stuck in a mediocrity loop of 6-4 being “acceptable”. Last year was a rebuild season with a lot of young players but there is zero excuse losing to Howland, especially at home. really they had no business losing to Mooney either. That was probably the worst Mooney team since early 2000’s. And I agree - they should not be losing to Canfield even when the cards have good teams.

I’m talking strictly football, and louisville isn’t what they used to be either in all reality I will agree Canfield would be very very good at wrestling per usual
Louisville won the state championship this year in wrestling and individual state champions last year. Totally dominated all the mahoning valley schools this year.

I agree on fitch for the most part we will see what they do this year and the next couple under Parker, Harding tho only lost to McKinley 32-27 in a very good game, saying they would be battling green at the bottom is just disrespectful
Wouldn't say they would be on the very bottom but out of the 10 schools (7 Fed and 3 Y-Town) I don't see them beating Perry, Jackson, McKinley, North Canton or Lake this year. That has them finishing 5th or 6th out of 10.

I gotta admit to saying I have no clue what’s going on with Boatdman fitch and Harding next season. But I imagine they won’t be bottom of the barrel bad. Not all 3 at least.

wait those schools are in the NE8 why aren’t we crying about it

I gotta admit to saying I have no clue what’s going on with Boatdman fitch and Harding next season. But I imagine they won’t be bottom of the barrel bad. Not all 3 at least.

wait those schools are in the NE8 why aren’t we crying about it
I expect all 3 to be good/better than 2019.

Boardman has a ton back from a team that started a lot of sophomores. All their top skill players return. It was a fine line between Boardman being 3-7 and maybe 5 or 6 wins last year. I’d say 6-7 wins would be a reasonable expectation.

Jefferson needs their turf redone very badly it’s a death trap, poland as well but I believe they’re getting there’s done this summer
I know you can't have grass fields anymore because of all the different sports played on them now a days with soccer, lacrosse and football and for all the different grades but grass is what football should be played on. Howland and Boardman always had their grass so high and thick, it took away the opposing teams speed.

I know you can't have grass fields anymore because of all the different sports played on them now a days with soccer, lacrosse and football and for all the different grades but grass is what football should be played on. Howland and Boardman always had their grass so high and thick, it took away the opposing teams speed.
I agree. Football is a game meant to be played on grass.

I agree 100 percent, still the turf of let go for a long time can become more dangerous for injuries then grass

Kids today will never know the feeling of playing a game in 6 inches of mud and water. And for that I feel bad. Some of the best times I ever had playing football were under those conditions at Laddie J

People don't realize that low quality turf is more dangerous than high grass. I remember the original turf field at Lake was slicker than an icy parking lot and when I was at the Poland-Boardman game last season the turf was long overdue for a change (installed in Spring 08, so being replaced 2 years past safe expiration date) and the Poland QB slid out of bounds in a benign play and boom was done for the season...

A couple of years back I was on Girard's turf, I was surprised at the type of turf it was, it was the same turf YSU had well over 30 some years ago. I didn't know they still made that kind of turf, it was more like a carpet type not a type with blades of grass.

A couple of years back I was on Girard's turf, I was surprised at the type of turf it was, it was the same turf YSU had well over 30 some years ago. I didn't know they still made that kind of turf, it was more like a carpet type not a type with blades of grass.
It actually isn't, it is field turf but they have never taken care of it the way it should have been and it is way past it's lifespan now. It was nice for about season but almost immediately started deteriorating. Can't remember which company they went with at the time, but they were the lowest bidder by a long shot. I was a little surprised that they didn't do something with it when they redid the track last year. They will have to replace it soon. Its definitely one of the worst in the area now.

It actually isn't, it is field turf but they have never taken care of it the way it should have been and it is way past it's lifespan now. It was nice for about season but almost immediately started deteriorating. Can't remember which company they went with at the time, but they were the lowest bidder by a long shot. I was a little surprised that they didn't do something with it when they redid the track last year. They will have to replace it soon. Its definitely one of the worst in the area now.
Yeah last year it was pretty bad I agree

What I was standing on at Girard's stadium, only a couple of years ago, looked more like the old type of "astro turf" that YSU initially had when Stambaugh Stadium (IceCastle) was first opened. It was set up just the same way with a crown in the center and drains all around the outer edge of the field. I have a piece of the original YSU turf and I'd say Girard's is identical to that right now. That turf doesn't have blades, it resembles more like a carpet, that's why I was surprised that they were actually still making that type of turf. You just don't see that around anymore. When was that installed at Girard?

What I was standing on at Girard's stadium, only a couple of years ago, looked more like the old type of "astro turf" that YSU initially had when Stambaugh Stadium (IceCastle) was first opened. It was set up just the same way with a crown in the center and drains all around the outer edge of the field. I have a piece of the original YSU turf and I'd say Girard's is identical to that right now. That turf doesn't have blades, it resembles more like a carpet, that's why I was surprised that they were actually still making that type of turf. You just don't see that around anymore. When was that installed at Girard?
2008 season was the first year. They’re well overdue. I’ve never seen turf like that in my whole life. It’s bad.

2008 season was the first year. They’re well overdue. I’ve never seen turf like that in my whole life. It’s bad.
I have seen turf like that before well over 30 some years ago at YSU and 3 Rivers Stadium. That's why I was surprised to see the same exact turf just a couple of years ago at Girard. I just didn't know it was still being manufactured.

It does have blades it's just really bad turf. You can't get the old "astroturf" likecwhat used to be at YSU 30 years ago anymore. All turf now is some variation of Field Turf. Obviously some are better than others. Girards is probably the worst version of it, compounded by the fact that it has never been properly taken care of.

Okay, who has the best stadium in the NE 8 to play & watch a football game? And who would you say has the best facility outside of the NE8?

Okay, who has the best stadium in the NE 8 to play & watch a football game? And who would you say has the best facility outside of the NE8?
Personally I love how struthers is always packed every night to watch a game, but in terms of best stadium all around I pick Niles with Hubbard being second

I might be somewhat bias but they call it "Beautiful Hubbard Memorial Stadium" for a reason. 5000 seats, 3000 on the home side which is packed for every home game, and 2000 seats on the away side. Just a great atmosphere for a high school football game.

Last edited:
Niles is a pretty nice stadium. Went there to cover a playoff game last year. Pretty unique with the tunnel coming out to midfield. Looking to go to Boardman later this year to check out their game against Cleveland Heights.

Here is one pic from "Beautiful" Hubbard Memorial Stadium, ....

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_6458 May. 20 11.50.jpg
    ScreenHunter_6458 May. 20 11.50.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 13
Another one ....

Attachments

• Hubbard Memorial Stadium-a.jpg
    Hubbard Memorial Stadium-a.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 19
  • Press box #1.jpg
    Press box #1.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 16