The Official NE8 Thread

I think they do. The league as a whole might be down this season.
niles returns their qb.
Struthers returns theirs.
Hubbard has a nice back
lakeview returns the coaches son who will attempt to throw some
Girard?
Range??
Jefferson nothing to say.

Poland, South Range, Hubbard, Struthers... then Niles, Girard, Lakeview, Jefferson.
Interesting note... everyone has their quarterbacks back this year.

Quick thoughts on each team...
Poland is the favorite. They'll need running backs to step up, but their offense should be very similar to last year. Mostly power runs with the occasional bomb to Centofanti on the outside. Lots of holes to fill on defense, but they should reload like they always do. PI think 9-1 is likely.
South Range still has Patrone and Dominguez. Need receivers to step up... losing their top 3 receivers. I don't know what kind of speed they have coming up. Also have to rebuild their lines, but so does everyone else besides Poland. Should be around 6-4 or 7-3.
Hubbard has their stud RB back. I'd think Krisuk is the projected starter at QB. Goodrick is a stud on the lines. With them moving up to D3, Alliance and Howland are must wins out of the gate if they want to make the playoffs. Like last year, their defense and running game will carry them. They won't be on the same level as Poland. Should be around 7-3.
Struthers probably has the best skill players returning... but their lines have a lot of question marks. Especially the defensive line. If the OL is decent and the front 7 can play solid run defense, they can make a good run. The defense will be very young. 7-3 should be expected. 6-4 should be worst case scenario.
Niles has their QB back... and their RB that missed most of last year. That's about it. I don't know if they have any impact players coming up that will contribute this year. I think they're probably looking at 4-6 or maybe 5-5.
I think Girard is way better than Lakeview and Jefferson... but a step below Niles. They have some talent, but can the coach over there get the X's and O's right to get the most out of the boys? We'll see... I don't think it'll work if they try to run the same offense that they did last year. Maybe 3-7 or 4-6.
Lakeview doesn't have it anymore... 2-8.
Jefferson is probably gonna go 0-10.

Doesn't South Range still play Springfield week 1? I know it's a D5 vs a D6, but that's probably my OOC match up of 2020.

Btrev, SR lost their QB. Allegretto was the starter until he got hurt in last game. He graduates.

I'm well aware of that. Patrone lit up their week 11 opponent last year... Allegretto has the better arm, but Patrone is a much better runner. If SR struggles, it won't be because they have a hole at QB. And Dominguez will be a monster. Brooks is the most irreplaceable... their biggest question marks are at WR.

Pretty sure Paladin has changed his "stripes". Think he's converted to the feline type over at the Falls.
That would make a lot of sense if he went with Greg. No one probably wanted to coach with Greg at falls. So ask the old-timer who has nothing else to do.

I'm well aware of that. Patrone lit up their week 11 opponent last year... Allegretto has the better arm, but Patrone is a much better runner. If SR struggles, it won't be because they have a hole at QB. And Dominguez will be a monster. Brooks is the most irreplaceable... their biggest question marks are at WR.
I agree with that assessment BTrev. The Raiders will be fine at QB with Petrone and at RB with Dominguez. The receiving corps, and line development will the key to how successful they are in 2020....if there even is a 2020 season.☹

And yes the schedule is set with South Range opening at Springfield Aug 28, at Crestview Sept 4th, and then hosting Canton Central Catholic Sept 11th.

Hubbard lost their QB, Cam Resatar was the starter. He graduated.
Yeah... and Krisuk filled in for Resatar when Resatar got hurt and missed a couple games. I said Krisuk would probably be the starter this year... not that he was the #1 QB last year.

Technically, everyone has a QB back that started multiple games last year.

My bad. I should've been more specific. Everyone has quarterbacks back that started multiple games in 2019.

Struthers should have a lot more dynamic offense with bayuk, Kuntz only wanted to win one way and sometimes it bit us
Yes and no. It is going to depend on how much input Greenamaier and Jeff jave on the offense. Their M.O. is to start the season out very conservative and get a little more progressive as it goes on. I promise you will want to pull your hair out at times with the play calling. They're great coaches, but you'll see what I mean.

Yes and no. It is going to depend on how much input Greenamaier and Jeff jave on the offense. Their M.O. is to start the season out very conservative and get a little more progressive as it goes on. I promise you will want to pull your hair out at times with the play calling. They're great coaches, but you'll see what I mean.
Agree with Jaws, Bayuk came up under Coach Angle if that let’s you know anything. Conservative in the big games and will open it up against inferior opponents, I can guarantee one thing they’ll be disciplined and have great line play.

Agree with Jaws, Bayuk came up under Coach Angle if that let’s you know anything. Conservative in the big games and will open it up against inferior opponents, I can guarantee one thing they’ll be disciplined and have great line play.
That’s what they have been the last 7 years under Kuntz as well, i know what you mean, but you can’t get more conservative then Kuntz was, their skill positions should be very very good, mainly theyll get the ball in space more under bayuk, with Kuntz it was running Dave 30 times a game

Hubbard does not have Alliance on the schedule this year. Hubbard opens up @ Creston Norwayne week 1 this year.

Right. I keep forgetting that... keep thinking everyone's schedules are the same as last year. That probably means even less L2 points. Hubbard is probably going to need to go 8-2 to even sniff the playoffs.

That’s what they have been the last 7 years under Kuntz as well, i know what you mean, but you can’t get more conservative then Kuntz was, their skill positions should be very very good, mainly theyll get the ball in space more under bayuk, with Kuntz it was running Dave 30 times a game
Very disciplined and excellent line play. One thing you will see is that the kids won't panic. Im sure John will have his own style but he brought his dad in for a reason. Everything Coach Bayuk does is geared for the postseason. Winning games in Aug/Sept are ok but the goal is week 11 and beyond.

Very disciplined and excellent line play. One thing you will see is that the kids won't panic. Im sure John will have his own style but he brought his dad in for a reason. Everything Coach Bayuk does is geared for the postseason. Winning games in Aug/Sept are ok but the goal is week 11 and beyond.
Absolutely, the way the schedule falls it’s good to get the wins warly before conference play, being on how competitive I feel the NE8 will be, Hubbard going to D3 will add a spot in the region up for grabs. They have their work cut out for them with the line this year being young, Kuntz was also a great o line coach, issue has always been play calling with him. I wanna know who is gonna call the plays, I have a feeling it will be Pascarella but could also be coach bayuk

I've watched Boardman a handful of times in my life. Always against the old federal league teams. Jackson, Perry, McKinley, Glenoak. Spanning about 15 years. The one thing in common amongst all games, they always had bigger, better looking athletes. I've seen them beat some stark county teams, but most of the time I've been disappointed in watching them. I feel like you are 100% correct. They have a great mix of kids and should win more imo
As a Boardman fan, I can’t say I disagree. I feel like head coaching, other than DJ Ogilvie, has been poor since probably the mid 90’s. A lot of great talent not maximized with on field team results. It seems like Boardman tends to perform about 2 wins below what they should most years and seem stuck in a mediocrity loop of 6-4 being “acceptable”. Last year was a rebuild season with a lot of young players but there is zero excuse losing to Howland, especially at home. really they had no business losing to Mooney either. That was probably the worst Mooney team since early 2000’s. And I agree - they should not be losing to Canfield even when the cards have good teams.

As a Boardman fan, I can’t say I disagree. I feel like head coaching, other than DJ Ogilvie, has been poor since probably the mid 90’s. A lot of great talent not maximized with on field team results. It seems like Boardman tends to perform about 2 wins below what they should most years and seem stuck in a mediocrity loop of 6-4 being “acceptable”. Last year was a rebuild season with a lot of young players but there is zero excuse losing to Howland, especially at home. really they had no business losing to Mooney either. That was probably the worst Mooney team since early 2000’s. And I agree - they should not be losing to Canfield even when the cards have good teams.
Boardman, Fitch and Warren the last of the "big" schools of the valley have lost their mojo. If you put Louisville, Stubenville and Canfield in a football only league with these 3 schools you are likely to see the smaller schools making the run for most of the league titles in the coming years.

Boardman, Fitch and Warren the last of the "big" schools of the valley have lost their mojo. If you put Louisville, Stubenville and Canfield in a football only league with these 3 schools you are likely to see the smaller schools making the run for most of the league titles in the coming years.
I disagree, Harding and fitch would win most years, only team I could say making a run is Steubenville but lately they haven’t been normal big red teams either

I disagree, Harding and fitch would win most years, only team I could say making a run is Steubenville but lately they haven’t been normal big red teams either
Let's look at last year common opponent .... Massillion. First, Fitch was not even in the game after the coin flip. Next Warren, they had the poorest possible showing not once but two times. Now Louisville did get beat 24-0 but go and watch the game and you will see a defensive line absolutely dominate Massillion. If not for a rookie coach, this game might have been a upset. Louisville did play 4 Federal teams the past 2 years and are .500 in those games and competitive in all of them. Now I know that Canfield would never be in a league with all those teams but they would be competitive as well.

Let's look at last year common opponent .... Massillion. First, Fitch was not even in the game after the coin flip. Next Warren, they had the poorest possible showing not once but two times. Now Louisville did get beat 24-0 but go and watch the game and you will see a defensive line absolutely dominate Massillion. If not for a rookie coach, this game might have been a upset. Louisville did play 4 Federal teams the past 2 years and are .500 in those games and competitive in all of them. Now I know that Canfield would never be in a league with all those teams but they would be competitive as well.
Harding and fitch were also on very down years that don’t happen often, also Harding and fitch both played Mooney

Harding 31 Mooney 7
Fitch 27 Mooney 14
Louisville 20 Mooney 14 in ot

in my opinion Massillon was miles better then all 3 mentioned so that’s not a realistic gauge of where the teams were at. Agree to disagree tho

Harding and fitch were also on very down years that don’t happen often, also Harding and fitch both played Mooney

Harding 31 Mooney 7
Fitch 27 Mooney 14
Louisville 20 Mooney 14 in ot

in my opinion Massillon was miles better then all 3 mentioned so that’s not a realistic gauge of where the teams were at. Agree to disagree tho
And Louisville was 5-5 last year, a down year for them. The 3 Y- Town big schools are no longer the programs they were in years past and their competition are at the level of those D-3 schools. If all 3 Y-Town were to play a full Federal league schedule they would be battling Green & G.O. for the race to the bottom. And overall sport programs Louisville & Canfield would be at the top of most other sports (tennis, wrestling, baseball, golf, etc. and all girl teams)

And Louisville was 5-5 last year, a down year for them. The 3 Y- Town big schools are no longer the programs they were in years past and their competition are at the level of those D-3 schools. If all 3 Y-Town were to play a full Federal league schedule they would be battling Green & G.O. for the race to the bottom. And overall sport programs Louisville & Canfield would be at the top of most other sports (tennis, wrestling, baseball, golf, etc. and all girl teams)
I’m talking strictly football, and louisville isn’t what they used to be either in all reality I will agree Canfield would be very very good at wrestling per usual

I agree on fitch for the most part we will see what they do this year and the next couple under Parker, Harding tho only lost to McKinley 32-27 in a very good game, saying they would be battling green at the bottom is just disrespectful