The official EBC Football Thread

Any idea why the success in other sports hasn't transitioned to football? They're not exactly world beaters in other sports as of late but you're right they're not struggling either, you'd think that some of those athletes would be making impacts on Friday like they do at every other EBC school but for some reason that isn't the case

I will add to what Lions Guy said: Minerva won the league title in wrestling this past winter. The track/XC and bowling programs have been excellent for several years. All of these programs have sent individuals and squads to state year after year.

The basketball and volleyball programs have been competitive to very good. The golf, baseball and softball programs have been as well.

The outlier is football and Lions Guy is spot on. Minerva doesn’t need to switch leagues, we need talent, depth and a stable coaching staff.

We have seen an emphasis on building up all of our athletic programs over the past 25 years. The former AD Don Spinell wasn’t even a Minerva guy but was handed the keys in the early 00s. The new AD knows the importance of football and I look for things to change soon.

I will add to what Lions Guy said: Minerva won the league title in wrestling this past winter. The track/XC and bowling programs have been excellent for several years. All of these programs have sent individuals and squads to state year after year.

The basketball and volleyball programs have been competitive to very good. The golf, baseball and softball programs have been as well.

The outlier is football and Lions Guy is spot on. Minerva doesn’t need to switch leagues, we need talent, depth and a stable coaching staff.

We have seen an emphasis on building up all of our athletic programs over the past 25 years. The former AD Don Spinell wasn’t even a Minerva guy but was handed the keys in the early 00s. The new AD knows the importance of football and I look for things to change soon.
We have been out of state staying with family to help with day care most of the summer and haven’t been around much to hear how the team looks, but I did hear that this is one of the fastest and biggest teams the the lions have had in quite some time- should not be a pushover this year- just hoping the boys get to play..

We have been out of state staying with family to help with day care most of the summer and haven’t been around much to hear how the team looks, but I did hear that this is one of the fastest and biggest teams the the lions have had in quite some time- should not be a pushover this year- just hoping the boys get to play..

I hope so too because this group has a chance to win some games this year. Last year it seemed they were getting better every week early in the season and lost a pair of close games. After winning at WB everything went downhill. I can see after losing all these years it’s tough to break the cycle. This will be year two in this system and I hope to see improvement.

Ebc fans - thoughts/concerns about 6 game schedule?

1 school would be able to play an EBC school each week, the rest would need to find an out of conference team to play.

East Canton and Sandy Valley have announced schedules against fellow IVC teams. But Sandy Valley tentatively set a game for October 23rd (week 3 of the playoffs) against Minerva.

Official EBC schedule

Week 1: August 28
Marlington at Alliance
Minerva at Carrollton
Salem at West Branch

Week 2: September 4
Carrollton at Marlington
Salem at Canton South
West Branch at Minerva

Week 3: September 11
Alliance at West Branch
Carrollton at Salem
Minerva at Canton South

Week 4: September 18
Canton South at Alliance
Marlington at Salem
West Branch at Carrollton

Week 5: September 25
Carrollton at Alliance
Marlington at Canton South
Salem at Minerva

Week 6: October 2
Alliance at Salem
Canton South at West Branch
Minerva at Marlington

Week 7: October 9
OHSAA playoffs begin

Week 8: October 16
Alliance at Minerva
Carrollton at Canton South
West Branch at Marlington

Last edited:
Salem plays 6 games, but no scheduled league team after 1st week playoffs.
Will likely be enough league teams bounced from the playoff that they could play for a second time if both teams commit to doing it (if it's allowed),
as long as at least one league team advances.

The rest have 5 games, with one more scheduled after 1st week of playoffs if they're out.

Canton South kinda gets screwed having their bye week being week one.
Would figure them leaving the league made it easier to make the decision who they slotted for that first week bye.

Hopefully the games can all get played.

Salem plays 6 games, but no scheduled league team after 1st week playoffs.
Will likely be enough league teams bounced from the playoff that they could play for a second time if both teams commit to doing it (if it's allowed),
as long as at least one league team advances.

The rest have 5 games, with one more scheduled after 1st week of playoffs if they're out.

Canton South kinda gets screwed having their bye week being week one.
Would figure them leaving the league made it easier to make the decision who they slotted for that first week bye.

Hopefully the games can all get played.

I would think the other EBC schools are welcome to schedule an out of conference game during their "bye" week if they want though. The new 6 game schedule would allow it

I would think the other EBC schools are welcome to schedule an out of conference game during their "bye" week if they want though. The new 6 game schedule would allow it

Yes, didn't even think of that.
Maybe Alliance &/or Marlington can pick pick up Louisville in their bye week. The Leopards will likely be looking for games.

Yes, didn't even think of that.
Maybe Alliance &/or Marlington can pick pick up Louisville in their bye week. The Leopards will likely be looking for games.
As will Canton CC. Each of the Fed schools will have an opening as well.

The EBC schools shouldn't have much trouble finding someone to play during their nonleague weeks. Alliance or Marlington could maybe even take the plunge and schedule a Fed team since they're in the same boat as a league with an odd number of teams. Computer points aren't in play, so it's a good opportunity for schools to experiment with their schedule if and where they can.

If I'm following the EBC schedules correctly, these are the various teams' nonleague weeks:
Week 1 - Canton South
Week 2 - Alliance
Week 3 - Marlington
Week 4 - Minerva
Week 5 - West Branch (reportedly playing Howland)
Week 6 - Carrollton

If they get bounced from the playoffs, Salem will have plenty of options for additional games, having already completed their league schedule.

EDIT: Nevermind. As of now, Green isn't playing until Oct. 1, so the Fed only has 6 teams to worry about until then. The Fed schedules posted on their thread show Canton CC playing Perry and Louisville playing GlenOak in week 2, so those options are off the table for Alliance. The 6 Fed teams will play each other in week 3, so they're not an option for Marlington either. Bummer.

Last edited:
As will Canton CC. Each of the Fed schools will have an opening as well.

The EBC schools shouldn't have much trouble finding someone to play during their nonleague weeks. Alliance or Marlington could maybe even take the plunge and schedule a Fed team since they're in the same boat as a league with an odd number of teams. Computer points aren't in play, so it's a good opportunity for schools to experiment with their schedule if and where they can.

If I'm following the EBC schedules correctly, these are the various teams' nonleague weeks:
Week 1 - Canton South
Week 2 - Alliance
Week 3- Marlington
Week 4- Minerva
Week 5 - West Branch
Week 6 - Carrollton

If they get bounced from the playoffs, Salem will have plenty of options for additional games, having already completed their league schedule.

EDIT: Nevermind. As of now, Green isn't playing until Oct. 1, so the Fed only has 6 teams to worry about until then. The Fed schedules posted on their thread show Canton CC playing Perry and Louisville playing GlenOak in week 2, so those options are off the table for Alliance. The 6 Fed teams will play each other in week 3, so they're not an option for Marlington either. Bummer.

What does Canton CC & St. Thomas' schedules look like so far? As with Louisville, the EBC teams could get some very local teams on their bye weeks if those two schools need scheduling help.

What does Canton CC & St. Thomas' schedules look like so far? As with Louisville, the EBC teams could get some very local teams on their bye weeks if those two schools need scheduling help.
All I know for Canton CC is:
Perry in week 2. Jackson in week 4.

All else is conjecture on my part right now, but I'm guessing St. Thomas in either week 1 or week 6. I figure Louisville will be in there somewhere. If CC can make room for New Philly, they probably will do that, too.

Canton CC schedule is done:
1 - New Philadelphia
2 - @ Perry
3 - Pataskala Licking Hts. (very surprised this game was kept)
4 - @ Jackson
5 - Louisville
6 - St. Thomas Aquinas

The skinny is that the Licking County League didn’t implement crossover games for this year, so LH needed their sixth game somehow.
None of the teams in the other division wanted to make their own crossover game and stay in county for a 6th game?

Seems odd to want to travel 2+ hrs. to play under these circumstances. This isn't exactly a clash of the titans on paper.

None of the teams in the other division wanted to make their own crossover game and stay in county for a 6th game?

Seems odd to want to travel 2+ hrs. to play under these circumstances. This isn't exactly a clash of the titans on paper.
Someone had to play Zanesville, who is new to the LCL Big this upcoming year. There are some downward trending programs like Northridge and Utica that would not be served anything by playing L Heights, Granville or Zanesville

Someone had to play Zanesville, who is new to the LCL Big this upcoming year. There are some downward trending programs like Northridge and Utica that would not be served anything by playing L Heights, Granville or Zanesville
Hasn't Licking Heights been bad the last couple years though? Are they expecting to be much improved this year? Just surprised. With playoffs for all and computer points not mattering, I figured most teams would try to stay as local as possible with the exception of any longstanding rivalry games against more distant opponents (like a St. X-St. Ignatius or a Massillon-Warren Harding). No telling what might be getting on the bus with you during a trip that long.

Any word on who all the EBC schools came up with for opponents during their respective week outside of league play? So far, I got:
Week 1 - Canton South is playing St. Thomas Aquinas
Week 2 - Alliance is playing Bedford
Week 3 - Marlington vs. ??????
Week 4 - Minerva is playing Beaver Local
Week 5 - West Branch is playing Howland
Week 6 - Carrollton is playing Cambridge
Week 8 - Salem vs. ??????? (the tentative week for which the rest of the EBC will finish league play if not still in playoffs)

Last edited:
Louisville's schedule:
@ Dover
@ Glenoak
St. Vincent St. Mary
@ Hoover
@ Central Catholic
Wooster

Any word on who all the EBC schools came up with for opponents during their respective week outside of league play? So far, I got:
Week 1 - Canton South vs. St. Thomas Aquinas
Week 2 - Alliance vs. ??????
Week 3 - Marlington vs. ??????
Week 4 - Minerva vs. Beaver Local
Week 5 - West Branch vs. Howland
Week 6 - Carrollton vs. ??????
Week 8 - Salem vs. ??????? (the tentative week for which the rest of the EBC will finish league play if not still in playoffs)

Carrollton is hosting Cambridge week 6

One of the previous posters was asking if Louisville may end up on some ebc schedules. Just showing they are booked up.