The official EBC Football Thread

Massillon is a non-starter to be added, but I agree with your other two teams being added. Outside of McKinley and GlenOak, the rest of the FED is against adding Massillon and the circus that comes with adding them. There isn't a league in NE Ohio that would take Massillon, they have tried to join a few leagues and are always rejected.
Why are they always rejected? Seems like they’d bring a good crowd with them?

Why are they always rejected? Seems like they’d bring a good crowd with them?

It's pretty simple, they have the resources to be good year in and year out, you play them enough some of your kids are going to want to be there and might end up transferring, and their fans can be a bit of a handful. Add the package together and the increase in gate just isn't worth the trade off for any league that would be a fit

you are correct, why? 8 is what we all know to be "ideal" for a league. But 6 can survive and have 5 non league games for first 5 which is doable. The EBC could very well sit with 6 and be just fine.
The Minerva/Carrollton to IVC won't ever happen, as long as Ridgewood and Garaway have a say - the travel for those two would be tough pill to swallow.
safe bet EBC stays at 6, until they get some interested schools

With the expanded playoff field a 5 OOC game schedule isn't actually a bad thing. You can schedule an Akron city school, a parochial power, a non-conference rival and still have the flexibility to do home and homes with two teams that are solid fits for your schedule based on the quality of your team

add CCC to top, Massillon to middle, and Carrollton to bottom, 18, 3 sets of 6. makes too much sense, so you are right won't happen
What about adding Canfield, Boardman to the top, Fitch, Harding to the middle and Howland to the bottom.

some may look at this as "oh my what will the league do?"
I see it as hey 6 is doable, and you are saying hey football coaches you have 5 games to win league, and 5 games of your choice
Not sure the EBC will be ready to bring anyone in until they get more than 2 inquiries. Who knows? I just know they can keep going with 6 and not blink - realistically they have the bulk of a league - just need 2 and that isn't a necessity.

I see it as hey 6 is doable, and you are saying hey football coaches you have 5 games to win league, and 5 games of your choice
Not sure the EBC will be ready to bring anyone in until they get more than 2 inquiries. Who knows? I just know they can keep going with 6 and not blink - realistically they have the bulk of a league - just need 2 and that isn't a necessity.
Harder to find games when teams have conference games late in the year and you only have 5 of them

If more leagues would just be 6 teams will allow schools to schedule "up" with OOC schedules when they see they may have a class that can compete with bigger schools and schedule a little lighter when less skill is coming up. This will help teams that generally have better teams fill their schedules with schools who have a once in a decade team that want to be challenged but are in a weak conference at that time. If the NE8 and Federal were only 6 teams would make things interesting in the area with OOC scheduling

weeks 1-5 OOC
weeks 6-10 EBC
I Understand that but weeks 3-4-5 will
Be very hard to fill against teams within decent travel, the teams that would be available would be the teams like louisville/Canfield/Mooney/Ursuline etc and Salem and teams of that nature won’t ever play teams like that unless they were required to

Lol, you do remember they lost to Minerva that has one only 1 game in 5 years. Just saying WB not what it use to be.
As bad as people knocked on the EBC tho and WB not being what they were “which wasn’t good anyway” they still would beat a team like EL annually in my opinion

The only sport Minerva is struggling in is football. League affiliation isn’t just based on football. At one time football was what was most important and any athlete in the school was in the red jersey or contributing in some way.

Minerva wouldn’t be accepted into the IVC as it stands. I doubt the PTC would take us. But it doesn’t matter, Minerva isn’t interested in switching leagues

The only sport Minerva is struggling in is football. League affiliation isn’t just based on football. At one time football was what was most important and any athlete in the school was in the red jersey or contributing in some way.

Minerva wouldn’t be accepted into the IVC as it stands. I doubt the PTC would take us. But it doesn’t matter, Minerva isn’t interested in switching leagues

Any idea why the success in other sports hasn't transitioned to football? They're not exactly world beaters in other sports as of late but you're right they're not struggling either, you'd think that some of those athletes would be making impacts on Friday like they do at every other EBC school but for some reason that isn't the case

Any idea why the success in other sports hasn't transitioned to football? They're not exactly world beaters in other sports as of late but you're right they're not struggling either, you'd think that some of those athletes would be making impacts on Friday like they do at every other EBC school but for some reason that isn't the case

The football talent level in Minerva was down for several years. the kids that were on the fence about football fell off when the losing started, it was a snowball effect. They started a lot of sophomores, most were not ready, every year during the recent bad times. Lot's of blame went to the coaching staff and some of that was unfair, they were severely outmatched just about every game.. Only 2 seniors played last year. The good news is that this year's team will have some quality and experienced Juniors and Seniors on Friday nights. I am realistic and am not declaring an EBC championship, but this team should be competitive in most games. Hopefully the next 2 years will be the start of a reemergence of Minerva Football. There are a few very good football players on this year's team - i just hope there is a season for all of the kids around the state!

So with Summit county heading in the direction of a delayed start what are the odds practices actually begin Saturday?

So with Summit county heading in the direction of a delayed start what are the odds practices actually begin Saturday?
With all but one of the schools in a Level 1 county on Dewine’s Rainbow of Doom (and WB is in the middle of nowhere, half in Columbiana anyway, and likely doesn’t contribute at all to Mahoning being level 2), the Summit County thing will have no bearing on them.

Last edited:
With all but one of the schools in a Level 1 county on Dewine’s Rainbow of Doom (and WB is in the middle of nowhere and likely doesn’t contribute at all to Mahoning being level 2), the Summit County thing will have no bearing on them.

You'd hope but I think we're almost certain to see new rules and regulations before the 1st, I'm just wondering if it will end up being more guidelines or a postponement