The official EBC Football Thread

Not sure why this would be a big surprise. South is close to being D five and in the last couple of years have played CVCA and Northwest In football and CVCA, NW, Manchester, Tuslaw, Triway and Fairless in hoops and a lot of those same teams in baseball. South has a beautifully renovated football stadium that would be the nicest in the PAC and also a new gymnasium. Personally, I would love to see South and Minerva join and CVCA leave. I think that would make for a nice well balanced league although the drive from Minerva to Triway would be a haul. Hopefully it happens but until it’s official I’m not holding my breath because I thought South was in a couple of years ago and at the last minute was turned down.

after numerous failed attempts to join in the past is the reason it is a surprise now

after numerous failed attempts to join in the past is the reason it is a surprise now
Oh ok I understand! Are you for it? Do you think it is better for the league? What other schools would be better? As a South supporter my dream league would be South, Minerva, Carrollton, Tusky Valley, Sandy Valley, Fairless, Tuslaw and NW.

South is a much better fit now than what we would have been about 5 or 6 years ago when we originally expressed interest. Graduating classes are closer to the 130 range as opposed to 170-180 back then. Unfortunately that trend will probably continue.

The PAC is a D4/5 football conference, so Canton South fits demographically and I would tend to think if the route 93 grouping is going to drive to outliers Orrville/Triway/CVCA then changing from Loudonville to Canton South makes sense geographically as well.

Many anticipate teams in EBC to move down a division, Alliance came back to D3 and Marlington stayed D3. Minerva and Salem hold steady in D4 and have not moved down so does this make the EBC a D3/4 league? Inviting D5s would be a tough sell.

ten years ago who would have thought the PAC would be strong in recruiting schools to fit and be a solid 8, and the EBC, now former NBC would be scrambling.

Last edited:
The PAC is a D4/5 football conference, so Canton South fits demographically and I would tend to think if the route 93 grouping is going to drive to outliers Orrville/Triway/CVCA then changing from Loudonville to Canton South makes sense geographically as well.

Many anticipate teams in EBC to move down a division, Alliance came back to D3 and Marlington stayed D3. Minerva and Salem hold steady in D4 and have not moved down so does this make the EBC a D3/4 league? Inviting D5s would be a tough sell.

ten years ago who would have thought the PAC would be strong in recruiting schools to fit and be a solid 8, and the EBC, now former NBC would be scrambling.

It all started falling apart with the NW exodus and totally went to hell after booting L'ville. A league cant sustain itself after those two colossal failures by admins

Will EBC break up or attempt to bring in new schools?

If EBC stays together and plan to bring in new schools Carrollton/Salem/WB will get short end of stick when it comes to traveling. Although IVC schools travel an hour often to play - Basketball travels an hour on a Tuesday - parents/kids have to be at school/work the next morning. I’m sure it’s not ideal but can definitely be done.

Alliance/Marlington already get shamed for being D3 in a D4 league, so I would imagine they would try to bring in a D4 to make league happy? Or a D3 to balance out Alliance/Marlington?

Typically, not always, the bigger the school the bigger the gate money and we know that’s what admin enjoy. Hopefully they don’t think to far into money and try to do what’s best for future of league.

Not sure if there is much of a future for the EBC though.

Will EBC break up or attempt to bring in new schools?

If EBC stays together and plan to bring in new schools Carrollton/Salem/WB will get short end of stick when it comes to traveling. Although IVC schools travel an hour often to play - Basketball travels an hour on a Tuesday - parents/kids have to be at school/work the next morning. I’m sure it’s not ideal but can definitely be done.

Alliance/Marlington already get shamed for being D3 in a D4 league, so I would imagine they would try to bring in a D4 to make league happy? Or a D3 to balance out Alliance/Marlington?

Typically, not always, the bigger the school the bigger the gate money and we know that’s what admin enjoy. Hopefully they don’t think to far into money and try to do what’s best for future of league.

Not sure if there is much of a future for the EBC though.

You would think Crestview and Beaver Local would both be fits for the league, South Range and East Palestine could also be nice matches. If you get all 4 in theory you could drop Marlington and Alliance if that was more enticing to the new entrants in the league. Gonna be a unique situation next year for sure

It looks like the EBC is definitely going to take an eastern track now. There aren't many schools west of Alliance and Marlington that would fit. If you head toward the Youngstown area travel would seem to become a problem for Minerva and Carrollton. It might be easier to blow things up and let everyone fend for themselves than it is to cobble together a lasting solution.

Random thoughts here:

Which schools are out there that the 6 remaining EBC members can legitimately expect to add? For how many schools would the EBC represent an improvement over their current situation? South Range already demonstrated its preference. Would schools like Southeast, Rootstown, or Mogadore want to play larger schools every week, especially Alliance and Marlington? What about Crestview, Beaver Local, or East Liverpool? Is the EBC a better situation than the AAC/MVAC or the Buckeye 8?

At least now, if the EBC does break up, everyone has a partner if any existing leagues would like to add 2 teams rather than 1. Salem and WB make a nice package. Alliance and Marlington make a nice package. Minerva and Carrollton make a nice package. Which leagues might want them?

Random thoughts here:

Which schools are out there that the 6 remaining EBC members can legitimately expect to add? For how many schools would the EBC represent an improvement over their current situation? South Range already demonstrated its preference. Would schools like Southeast, Rootstown, or Mogadore want to play larger schools every week, especially Alliance and Marlington? What about Crestview, Beaver Local, or East Liverpool? Is the EBC a better situation than the AAC/MVAC or the Buckeye 8?

At least now, if the EBC does break up, everyone has a partner if any existing leagues would like to add 2 teams rather than 1. Salem and WB make a nice package. Alliance and Marlington make a nice package. Minerva and Carrollton make a nice package. Which leagues might want them?
I think the Ne8 would take Salem alone.

Salem is tied to the hip with WB. They might take both.
They probably should.

I’ll say this, does Salem and West Branch makes sense for the NE8? Sure.

But if they think the grass is greener in the NE8 they are surely wrong. Both Salem and West Branch have struggled to beat Alliance, Marlington, and Salem alone has lost to Canton South 3 of the last 4 years.

Now figure them playing Poland, Struthers, Hubbard, Girard, South Range, and Niles on a yearly basis.

But if they think the grass is greener in the NE8 they are surely wrong. Both Salem and West Branch have struggled to beat Alliance, Marlington, and Salem alone has lost to Canton South 3 of the last 4 years.

Now figure them playing Poland, Struthers, Hubbard, Girard, South Range, and Niles on a yearly basis.
They would be bottom feeders for a while.

Would Alliance, Marlington, Salem and West Branch fit in a league with Louisville, Canfield and Howland if it was a league for all sports but football?

Would Alliance, Marlington, Salem and West Branch fit in a league with Louisville, Canfield and Howland if it was a league for all sports but football?

I don't think so, there's little to no reason for Salem and WB to do that to themselves. Even in sports other than football the enrollment numbers would be pretty daunting to overcome

I

I agree, Salem which is better then WB struggled in the Mac with a lot of the same teams

The problems with the EBC, Louisville, Canfield, Howland and other local independent schools are they all feel they must put their kids in the "perfect" conference situations where everyone gets a trophy, no parent has to drive more than 15 minutes to watch a game and private schools are not invited. The problem, these schools and situations unfortunately do not exist in conference numbers. It is very unfortunate that Canton South left the EBC. I am happy for them that they found the perfect size conference but now the remaining EBC schools are in a bad situation.

I also thought Louisville, Marlington, Alliance, Dover, New Phill, CCC, Lake, and St. Thomas (not sure about them now) would be an interesting league.

With all due respect.....

Why would Alliance/Marlington get shamed for being in a D3/D4 league when both of those schools are, in fact, D3? That doesn't seem to make sense.

Salem needs to go back to a Youngstown area league, while continuing to play WB and Alliance in most/all sports.

This NBC/EBC never seemed like a good fit all the way around.
I was OK with the decision at the time because the AAC was stupid and it was never going to last. Now that it failed, I get looking back toward Youngstown. The Superintendent is a Salem guy who grew up playing and coaching against the Youngstown teams during his career, so it’s a move I guarantee he would make if offered. I would think it would be a package deal with WB as some mentioned.

As one other mentioned here too, finding a stable conference is so hard, and especially in this area.The AACs biggest point of stupidity was all D4 and larger schools didn’t want to play one another, hence the small schools were in a big tier, and the bigger schools were in a billion tiers of 3 teams each. A gigantic game of keep away is why in 15 years the conference landscape has totally reinvented itself twice. Would the NE8 work? I think so, those schools actually do not mind playing one another. Salem and WB May take their lumps though as Salem did back in the MAC days though.

With all due respect.....

Why would Alliance/Marlington get shamed for being in a D3/D4 league when both of those schools are, in fact, D3? That doesn't seem to make sense.
I don’t recall them getting shamed . West Branch has been D3 and just dropped this year to D4

Federal

American
McK. GlenOak, Jackson, Perry, Hoover

National
Green, Lake, Louisville, Marlington and Alliance

Built in one cross-over game: Hoover-Louisville, Glenoak-Marlington, McKinley-Green, Jackson-Alliance, and Perry-Lake

West Branch and Salem to the NE8

Minerva to the IVC

Carrollton, really can't find aleague for them, maybe Buckeye 8

Federal

American
McK. GlenOak, Jackson, Perry, Hoover

National
Green, Lake, Louisville, Marlington and Alliance

Built in one cross-over game: Hoover-Louisville, Glenoak-Marlington, McKinley-Green, Jackson-Alliance, and Perry-Lake

West Branch and Salem to the NE8

Minerva to the IVC

Carrollton, really can't find aleague for them, maybe Buckeye 8
As a Green fan, I would support this.

Unrealistic, but I'd like to see this allignment

New Phila, Dover, Louisville, Lake, Green,

Jackson, Perry, GlenOak, McKinley, Hoover

Marlington, West Branch, Salem, Minerva, Alliance