The Official 2023 Cincinnati Reds Thread

So much for getting a reliable starting pitcher.

The Reds signed Luke Weaver to a one-year, $2 million deal today. Weaver was at one time highly regarded and was a first-round draft pick in 2014 for STL. He was traded to Arizona as part of the Paul Goldschmidt deal.

He had good numbers in 2019 but evidently couldn’t stay healthy, as he never started more than 13 games in a season from 2019 to 2021.

He was converted to a reliever for 2022 and was traded midseason to the Royals, where it appears he was essentially a mop-up bullpen guy.

His numbers fell precipitously after 2019, but he does throw hard. Supposedly he will be in the mix for a rotation spot.

The Reds’ rotation options are:

Lodolo
Greene
Ashcraft

Battle for fourth and fifth starter:
Justin Dunn
Luke Weaver
Luis Cessa
Connor Overton
Brandon Williamson
Levi Stoudt

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …
Are tickets on sale yet? Where else am I going to go?

I assume yesterday’s signing completes the Reds’ offseason spending except for possibly more relievers on minor-league deals with an invite to spring training.

Here’s where the roster stands. My projected lineup:

2B Jonathan India
LF Jake Fraley
DH Tyler Stephenson
RF Wil Myers
1B Joey Votto
3B Spencer Steer
SS Jose Barrero
CF Nick Senzel
C Curt Casali

Bench:

OF TJ Friedl
C Luke Maile
INF Kevin Newman
INF Nick Solak

Starting rotation:

Hunter Greene
Nick Lodolo
Graham Ashcraft
Justin Dunn
Luke Weaver/Luis Cessa

Bullpen:

Alexis Diaz
Reiver Sanmartin
Tejay Antone
Lucas Sims
Tony Santillan
Buck Farmer
Luke Weaver/Luis Cessa
Ian Gibaut

Louisville depth:

SP Connor Overton
RP Joel Kuhnel
RP Fernando Cruz
RP Tayron Guerrero
RP Silvino Bracho
OF Michael Siani
OF Stuart Fairchild

Prospects who could arrive in 2023:

INF Matt McLain
INF Elly De La Cruz
SP Brandon Williamson
SP Levi Stoudt
1B/DH Christian Encarnacion-Strand

Position battles:

Center field: Nick Senzel figures to get one last chance, with TJ Friedl pushing him. This could be a landing spot for McLain or De La Cruz this summer if both incumbents underwhelm.

Fourth and fifth starters: Justin Dunn figures to have a leg up for a rotation spot, but the last spot is up for grabs between Overton, Cessa and Weaver. It wouldn’t be surprising for Williamson to improve and force his way into the big leagues at some point this season.

Last two bullpen spots: I figure six spots are taken if guys are healthy: Diaz, Sanmartin, Sims, Antone, Santillan and Farmer. The last two are totally up for grabs, although it would make sense for one of the two to go to a long reliever who doesn’t win a rotation spot, which I figure would be Cessa or Weaver. I’ll give Ian Gibaut a nod just based on him being on the team last year.

Shortstop: I don’t think it should be much of a battle, but we’ll see how patient the Reds are with Jose Barrero before inserting Newman and/or pulling the trigger on McLain or De La Cruz.

Last edited:
I also wanted to point out that since arbitration numbers were agreed upon yesterday for all six arbitration-eligible Reds, Spotrac has the Reds’ 2023 payroll at $83.3 million after the Weaver signing.

$50.5 million of the $83.3 million is going to Joey Votto, Mike Moustakas and Ken Griffey Jr.

I assume yesterday’s signing completes the Reds’ offseason spending except for possibly more relievers on minor-league deals with an invite to spring training.

2B Jonathan India
LF Jake Fraley
DH Tyler Stephenson
RF Wil Myers
1B Joey Votto
3B Spencer Steer
SS Jose Barrero
CF Nick Senzel
C Curt Casali

Bench:

OF TJ Friedl
C Luke Maile
INF Kevin Newman
INF Nick Solak

Starting rotation:

Hunter Greene
Nick Lodolo
Graham Ashcraft
Justin Dunn
Luke Weaver/Luis Cessa

Bullpen:

Alexis Diaz
Reiver Sanmartin
Tejay Antone
Lucas Sims
Tony Santillan
Buck Farmer
Luke Weaver/Luis Cessa
Ian Gibaut

Louisville depth:

SP Connor Overton
RP Joel Kuhnel
RP Fernando Cruz
RP Tayron Guerrero
RP Silvino Bracho
OF Michael Siani
OF Stuart Fairchild

INF Matt McLain
INF Elly De La Cruz
SP Brandon Williamson
SP Levi Stoudt

Position battles:

Center field: Nick Senzel figures to get one last chance, with TJ Friedl pushing him. This could be a landing spot for McLain or De La Cruz this summer if both incumbents underwhelm.

Fourth and fifth starters: Justin Dunn figures to have a leg up for a rotation spot, but the last spot is up for grabs between Overton, Cessa and Weaver. It wouldn’t be surprising for Williamson to improve and force his way into the big leagues at some point this season.

Last two bullpen spots: I figure six spots are taken if guys are healthy: Diaz, Sanmartin, Sims, Antone, Santillan and Farmer. The last two are totally up for grabs, although it would make sense for one of the two to go to a long reliever who doesn’t win a rotation spot, which I figure would be Cessa or Weaver. I’ll give Ian Gibaut a nod just based on him being on the team last year.

Shortstop: I don’t think it should be much of a battle, but we’ll see how patient the Reds are with Jose Barrero before inserting Newman and/or pulling the trigger on McLain or De La Cruz.

Well, we hope for the best, because we are fans. But 2-3 key injuries and this roster has zero chance. That bench is sad, and the rotation is almost as sad. I'd feel much better if Greene and Lodolo were 3-4, not 1-2.

A lot will be put on Diaz, Sims, Antone, Sanmartin and Santillan. They all have above average stuff. If they are all healthy and pitching at their peak out of the pen, maybe 70 wins. More likely 60 wins.

It’s almost insane to think that if Joey Votto isn’t ready by the start of the season, the Reds’ 26-man Opening Day roster could make around $34 million combined. An entire team making less than Aaron Judge. Or Justin Verlander. Or Max Scherzer. Etc.

Well, we hope for the best, because we are fans. But 2-3 key injuries and this roster has zero chance. That bench is sad, and the rotation is almost as sad. I'd feel much better if Greene and Lodolo were 3-4, not 1-2.

A lot will be put on Diaz, Sims, Antone, Sanmartin and Santillan. They all have above average stuff. If they are all healthy and pitching at their peak out of the pen, maybe 70 wins. More likely 60 wins.
50 wins

It’s almost insane to think that if Joey Votto isn’t ready by the start of the season, the Reds’ 26-man Opening Day roster could make around $34 million combined. An entire team making less than Aaron Judge. Or Justin Verlander. Or Max Scherzer. Etc.

That's perfectly fine if the Reds save the money to spend at the right time.

Min/max is not a difficult concept for .ost organizations but for some reason this one struggles with it.

Apparently Phil Castellini made a fool of himself again — this time by speaking today during a Rosie Reds lunch at the stadium. The gist of it is that he tried to put the blame on anything but the Reds for why the Reds stink.

6FC59E55-EBC1-4E4B-B064-50DEE2D0A303.png

I will take the over on that. I will be really optimistic and say they are not a lock to lose 100. Will probably more or less ignore them unless Greene is pitching or they call up De La Cruz. Plenty of other interesting teams to watch in 2023.

Apparently Phil Castellini made a fool of himself again — this time by speaking today during a Rosie Reds lunch at the stadium. The gist of it is that he tried to put the blame on anything but the Reds for why the Reds stink.

View attachment 38145

It must be horrible.... sell the team and put yourselves out of our misery.

If Yappi threads could have thumbnails in their subject line, this would be a good one for this thread:

81A034CC-3D90-4CDE-B4BF-66BF44AF97D5.png

Phil is an obvious idiot who only has his job because of his good fortune at being conceived. Any other COO/President would have been fired after speaking to customers the way he did last year. His comments yesterday reinforce two things:

1) Gave further proof that he is too stupid to have any important job. Saying the Reds "operate like a non-profit" blows my mind. Many non-profits (Goodwill, churches, universities, etc) overpay their executives and give big year end bonuses in order to show zero net income at the end of the year. Since the Reds have never asked their shareholders for more cash, we know the organization has plenty of cash flow. Undoubtedly the Castellini's and Williams are cashing in big.

2) Shows his tremendous jealously and disdain for the players and the money they make. Again, he is too stupid to imagine. Publicly mocking your most important employees is a sure firing in most real management jobs.

Anyone with any hope for this franchise should give it up until this doofus is out of the picture.

Reds team payroll this decade:
- 2020 = $164M (just above the MLB average)
- 2021 = $144M
- 2022 = $113M
- 2023 = $83M (slightly more than half of 2020 payroll)

As AEW said, Griffey, Moose and Votto are $50M of the $83M. Welcome to the absolute #1 MLB poverty franchise. Payroll might be in the $40M-$50M range next year.

Reds team payroll this decade:
- 2020 = $164M (just above the MLB average)
- 2021 = $144M
- 2022 = $113M
- 2023 = $83M (slightly more than half of 2020 payroll)

As AEW said, Griffey, Moose and Votto are $50M of the $83M. Welcome to the absolute #1 MLB poverty franchise. Payroll might be in the $40M-$50M range next year.
I have no issue with a very low payroll on a bad, young team IF you are willing to to go beyond what cash flow allows in future years when the team has a chance to win.

So the Reds should pay a high guaranteed salary and lose 100 games in a season? I'd say the team salary is more in line with the talent level than ever before. I think this season's team will be young and hungry with guys up and coming.

So the Reds should pay a high guaranteed salary and lose 100 games in a season? I'd say the team salary is more in line with the talent level than ever before. I think this season's team will be young and hungry with guys up and coming.
Wtf are you talking about?

Literally no one said anything like that. And only a moron would think that the Reds would lose 100 games with an MLB average payroll of around $150M. Hey, Phil Castellini is a moron. Are you really Phil?

however, "the team salary is more in line with the talent level than ever before" is 100% accurate. The salary is about the worst in the MLB, and the talent matches. Why are you happy about this? You really are Phil !!

2B Jonathan India
LF Jake Fraley
DH Tyler Stephenson
RF Wil Myers
1B Joey Votto
3B Spencer Steer
SS Jose Barrero
CF Nick Senzel
C Curt Casali

Bench:

OF TJ Friedl
C Luke Maile
INF Kevin Newman
INF Nick Solak

Starting rotation:

Hunter Greene
Nick Lodolo
Graham Ashcraft
Justin Dunn
Luke Weaver/Luis Cessa

Bullpen:

Alexis Diaz
Reiver Sanmartin
Tejay Antone
Lucas Sims
Tony Santillan
Buck Farmer
Luke Weaver/Luis Cessa
Ian Gibaut

Louisville depth:

SP Connor Overton
RP Joel Kuhnel
RP Fernando Cruz
RP Tayron Guerrero
RP Silvino Bracho
OF Michael Siani
OF Stuart Fairchild

INF Matt McLain
INF Elly De La Cruz
SP Brandon Williamson
SP Levi Stoudt

Position battles:

Let's go!

I’m curious to see whether the high probability of the Reds carrying three catchers is a concerted effort to have Stephenson mostly as a DH or 1B this season, or whether it’s just temporary cover in case Votto isn’t ready to open the season, thus necessitating playing Stephenson at 1B early.

If he doesn’t catch much early on and the HR numbers trend upward, you gotta consider keeping him at 1B/DH. Let veterans Casali and Maile handle catching duties.

I think many feel if the Reds just pay guys the wins come, it doesn't work that way. We found that out with Mike Moustakas, Mike Minor, etc.
Stop being stupid. No is suggesting we pay bad players like Mike Minor $10M (although you were all for it last year). Rather, pay good players and win.

In short, do a better job of identifying good players early in their career and pay them before they get expensive. That's how small market teams stay competitive every year.

Stop being stupid. No is suggesting we pay bad players like Mike Minor $10M (although you were all for it last year). Rather, pay good players and win.

In short, do a better job of identifying good players early in their career and pay them before they get expensive. That's how small market teams stay competitive every year.
Mike Moustakas had a GREAT year in Milwaukee before the Reds signed him. You guys make all your decisions in the rear view mirror, AFTER it happens. Anyone can do that. Many on this thread wanted to bring back Tucker Barnhart for whatever he wanted. We LIKE players and want to just give them money. It goes both ways.

Mike Moustakas had a GREAT year in Milwaukee before the Reds signed him. You guys make all your decisions in the rear view mirror, AFTER it happens. Anyone can do that. Many on this thread wanted to bring back Tucker Barnhart for whatever he wanted. We LIKE players and want to just give them money. It goes both ways.
Lol

That would be you that suggested that.

I’m curious to see whether the high probability of the Reds carrying three catchers is a concerted effort to have Stephenson mostly as a DH or 1B this season, or whether it’s just temporary cover in case Votto isn’t ready to open the season, thus necessitating playing Stephenson at 1B early.

If he doesn’t catch much early on and the HR numbers trend upward, you gotta consider keeping him at 1B/DH. Let veterans Casali and Maile handle catching duties.

Yes! That for me was the best thing about the Casali signing. Since they had already signed Maile, to me it clearly signaled that the Reds are going to be smart with Stephenson. Casali is Catcher #1, Maile will be a backup, and Tyler's bat can be other places in the lineup (DH, LF, occasionally 1B).
The Moose release helps reinforce this also. I'm hopeful, but it seems like the Reds might be making a smart long term move with Tyler.

Correction. Most of us knew the Reds could not afford the last year of Barny's last year, and said so in posts. You wanted to keep him.

Yes, I'll admit to being happy about the Moose signing initially. He was always a winner and good hitter. Reds should have included a weight clause in that one.

Correction. Most of us knew the Reds could not afford the last year of Barny's last year, and said so in posts. You wanted to keep him.

Yes, I'll admit to being happy about the Moose signing initially. He was always a winner and good hitter. Reds should have included a weight clause in that one.
That's just the thing, you never know when these guys are done.